Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kimis

I'm Hungry For Cereal

Okay, I have been gluten free for about 1 month. Most of the gluten free cereals I have tried I don't like. Dose anyone eat mainstream cereals? I hear fruity/cocoa pebbles are gluten free...I would love some feedback about any gluten free cereals

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Okay, I have been gluten free for about 1 month. Most of the gluten free cereals I have tried I don't like. Dose anyone eat mainstream cereals? I hear fruity/cocoa pebbles are gluten free...I would love some feedback about any gluten free cereals

I'd love to help, but "good" is such a relative term - what I think is really good, you might not like at all. I think if you could tell us what your favorites used to be as well as some new things you've tried and not liked, we'll be better able to make some relevant suggestions.

I think trix is supposed to be gluten free... and someone said the berry kix is now. and Rice chex is now also

have you tried envirokids cereals?

yes....I do like envirokids cereals...in my opinion they have been the best so far. I used to eat kelloggs special K selections alot, and I really liked raison bran crunch. In this first month after being diagnosed with celiac, I read some people won't eat products if they were made on shared equipment. Any thoughts on that?

Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat flakes are good.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Rice Chex gets my vote to be one of the main stream cereal product to declare "gluten free" by removing the malt flavoring as a previous ingredient.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Both Fruity& Cocoa Pebbles are gluten free.

I've never eaten them, but I don't think Trix are.

I really like Nature's Path Honey'd Cornflakes and Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice with Berries.

Whole Foods also has a cereal by their own label that tastes like Coco Puffs.

Those are my favorites.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

I just bought a box of Rice Chex. The thing I noticed about them is that they are enriched with vitamins/minerals.

I've been eating Perky's but they are not enriched and do not provide any extra vitamins/minerals, only protein and fiber.

I haven't tried them yet, but will be tomorrow morning!

Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

I get Nature Path Organic Corn Flakes and Erewhom Crispy Brown Rice (can also make crispy treats)

Recently I have been getting Rice Chex (look at the box to make sure it is not an old one).

Last night I got General Mills Tigger and Pooh Corn Puffs -- doesn't say gluten free but if you look at the ingredients it doesn't have anything gluten related in it (they also have a Mickey one and Dora).

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

I have been eating the Berry Berry Kix and loving them! I might get Trix one of these day but I was never a big Trix eater. I also love the Winnie the Pooh crunch and the Dora Stars. I always used kids cereals as a snack, I would eat them dry....I missed that a lot going gluten free.

Fruit Pebbles does not travel well dry for me...

Rice Chex is also a good vote for me!

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

In my usual rotation I have Crispix, Trix (keep an eye on each box ingredients to be safe), gluten-free Rice Chex, and Western Family Cocoa Moos (like cocoa puffs). Western Family also has a corn pop like cereal that doesn't list anything bad in the ingredients, yet below says it contains wheat. I'll have to drop them an email. I was raised on cold cereal in the summer and oatmeal in the winter. Don't want to change too much! Hope this helps.

diagnosed 9-07, symptoms for many years

really only get sick from oats and white bread

hard to say goodbye to Olive Garden!

In my usual rotation I have Crispix, Trix (keep an eye on each box ingredients to be safe), gluten-free Rice Chex, and Western Family Cocoa Moos (like cocoa puffs). Western Family also has a corn pop like cereal that doesn't list anything bad in the ingredients, yet below says it contains wheat. I'll have to drop them an email. I was raised on cold cereal in the summer and oatmeal in the winter. Don't want to change too much! Hope this helps.

Crispix is gluten-free? I didn't know that!

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

Rice Chex with a little cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on the top is my favorite.

that sounds good!

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I don't believe it is gluten free. Here's the ingredients list from the Kellogg's website.

Ingredients

MILLED CORN, RICE, BROWN SUGAR, SALT, MALT FLAVORING, BAKING SODA, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), IRON, NIACINAMIDE, TURMERIC COLOR, ZINC OXIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12 AND VITAMIN D.

As I understand it, malt flavoring is off limits.

In my usual rotation I have Crispix

Crispix is not gluten-free. It contains barley malt. To my knowledge. there is no Kelloggs cereal that is gluten-free.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

I buy Puffins at Wegmans , this is wheat free, but is processed on equipment that also processes wheat so if you are very sensitive I wouldn't eat it. I prefer the peanut butter as it is kinda like captain crunch (used to be one of my favorite indulgences) but not as sweet

Self dx celiac disease

Gluten free since July 2007

Clinical dx celiac disease November 2007

Self-dx Lyme disease May 2008

Lyme confirmed positive Western Blot May 2008

I buy Puffins at Wegmans , this is wheat free, but is processed on equipment that also processes wheat so if you are very sensitive I wouldn't eat it. I prefer the peanut butter as it is kinda like captain crunch (used to be one of my favorite indulgences) but not as sweet

Peanut Butter Puffins are not gluten-free. They contain mainstream oats that are contaminated with wheat in growing/storing/processing.

http://tinyurl.com/5oufzc

Ingredients

Corn Meal, Dehydrated Cane Juice, Natural Peanut Butter (Ground Peanuts, Salt), Oat Flour, Rice Flour, Sea Salt, Natural Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols), Baking Soda.

The only Puffins flavor that is made without gluten ingredientsis the Honey Rice flavor. It is still made on shared lines, though.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The kellogs website identifies barley malt syrup in the ingredients of crispix (meaning it is not a gluten free product). They admit on the site that there is no kellogs cereal that is truely gluten free.

I haven't been able to find "Chex Cereal" in my grocery stores, but general mills does identify this cereal as truely gluten free, as well as many other products.

They admit on the site that there is no kellogs cereal that is truely gluten free.

This is one of my pet peeves as Kellogs is a Michigan company and I like the idea of buying local products to cut down on transportation costs. And if you research them a bit you will find that Kellogs makes a much better quality product to sell in Europe than they make to sell in the U.S. :angry:

Dx Celiacs March '09