This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wedding Planning- gluten-free Caterer?

elonwy

elonwy Enthusiast

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a caterer in the Bay Area, preferably East Bay, who deals with gluten-free. My fallback is Whole Foods, cause I'm doing an hors d'oeuvres type reception event instead of a sit down meal, but I'm just wondering if anybody knew of anyone else.

I did find this cake place: Open Original Shared Link

which looks AMAZING!!. Very excited about the cake. The groom is also gluten free, so everything at the event is going to be gluten free as well :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lisa25 Rookie

My wedding in March will be gluten, dairy, and soy free. Between my fiance and I we have several celiacs in our family. My dad is doing BBQ and we are having simple sides catered by Hy-Vee. Their catering manager and dietician have been really helpful, so hopefully everything will turn out uncontaminated. I don't know if there are Hy-Vee's in CA, but if there are you could check with them. We are making our own wedding cake...hopefully it will be a good experience!

elonwy Enthusiast

I checked out Hy-Vee online, they aren't out here, but your reception sounds great. My family won't be here, since flying from HI is just so expensive, so its just going to be friends hanging at my house with a tiny ceremony stuck in the middle. The more I'm researching the more I just want to make plates myself. Whole Foods wants $90 for a cheese plate? Really? I could buy a bunch of cheese and cube it up on plate for way less than that. I may regret it, but I am totally leaning towards catering my own wedding.

jerseyangel Proficient

Elonwy, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!! :D

I'm in PA, so I can't be of any help as to your catering questions--but I just had to say congrats and that I'm so happy for you. Good luck with all the preparations.....I know it's going to be lovely. :)

Janessa Rookie

I got married in Berkeley last July and it was gluten free (except cupcakes some were gluten free some not) We had the reception at Adagia Restaurant who were wonderful doing everything gluten free

Look into doing it at a restaurant or room in a restaurant with a chef who will work with you then you will have amazing food with no work or clean-up for you. When I was looking into it it was much cheaper at a restaurant than catering.

You don't want to prepare the food yourself, there are so many things to do don't add more to your plate, you want it to be a stress free day for you and your guests.

elonwy Enthusiast

Yeah the whole plan is to do it at the house in Alameda and walk down to the beach for the talking bit. I'm keeping the whole thing under $2000. The most expensive thing is going to be the cake. I'm not doing any kind of sit down meal, just pupu platters sitting around, like any party type deal, and since its at the house I want everything to be gluten free. I'm just appalled at how much whole foods charges and am severely sensitive (the slightest hint of gluten makes me look 3 months pregnant) so having it at my home keeps me in a safe happy place.

Lisa Mentor

Congratulations Elonwy and Lisa on your upcomming wedding. Planning is so much fun. (I have one to plan in August and one in October :blink: ) :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

My mom just got remarried and we had a big bash for her about two weeks ago. We had it catered. The caterer was great, when we picked the food, I kind of knew what would be gluten-free and not. A good catering company makes most things from scratch anyway, so talk to a few and tell them your concerns. They made everything onsite, but we rented a big hall. Since you want it at your house, it may be a little different, but just call a few that you're interested in and see what they say.

As it turned out- I barely ate anything. Not because I didn't trust them, but because I was busy floating about the crowd. But the catering manager took pity on me and had the chef make me a plate of the gluten-free things so I would eat. They were really up on things, and I didn't have the slightest bit of problem.

The last thing you are going to want to deal with is food.

and last of all.......

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Archived