This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Grr...

Roda

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

Just a comment on the "older" generation and Dr's, my dad is about to turn 72 and he thinks all Dr's are "quacks"! In my life I've seen him go to a Chiropractor a few times, a sports medicine clinic a few times and a walk in clinic maybe three times. I worry a lot about him because in the last few months he's lost a lot of weight and is eating very little. Still I can't make him go to a Dr. And even if I could he wouldn't want to listen to the Dr.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Your right, Irish Heart I did not mean any offense at all. My Bachelors is in psychology, and I have studied the different generational stereotypes and some of them do hold true when studied. I am a former social sciences researcher interested in this type of thing. There are characteristics that are common based on the years people grew up. Historical events, technology, location, etc influence people's decision making processes and change the way they think about the world. I was merely suggesting perhaps there is a generational gap in the way some people handle their health. I grew up with computers and the internet so I have never had a time in my adult life when I have not been able to look up information about something online. Think of how foreign this approach to health (or finding info about anything really) is to people that do not use computers. My parents (and even my grandparents) use computers and the internet for bill paying and e-mail (and even fb) but they are not used to using it for information/researching purposes. They trust their doctors over a website--even if that website is put out by a very reputable medical group. I can email my mom a link to a very well written article, she will read it and understand it but she will still listen to her dr over the article. No one can be put in a box, however. I find the "older" (but clearly young at heart :P ) members here to be not typical of any generational stereotypes. Y'all are very educated and computer saavy. It's also pretty hard to discern age over the internet. So I apologize deeply if I have offended.

kareng Grand Master

My parents are early 80s. They really never learned much about how a body works. You had a baby, they put you to sleep.

When I was in college taking anatomy & physiology, they would look at my pictures of insides and be surprised by where things were located, shape, etc.

When I had my kids, M was breach. We joked that it was so obvious where his head stuck out even my Dad could tell.

Anyway.. They believe whatever the docs say even when it doesn't make sense.

Just a comment on the "older" generation and Dr's, my dad is about to turn 72 and he thinks all Dr's are "quacks"! In my life I've seen him go to a Chiropractor a few times, a sports medicine clinic a few times and a walk in clinic maybe three times. I worry a lot about him because in the last few months he's lost a lot of weight and is eating very little. Still I can't make him go to a Dr. And even if I could he wouldn't want to listen to the Dr.

All of my grandmother's brothers and sisters (my great aunts an dgreat uncles) were like that, but it had to do with their religion. They didn't believe in going to drs. My great uncle died of a heart attack while my dad was trying to help him--my dad pretty much carried him to the car and said, "you need to go to an emergency room". He fought my dad tooth and nail not to go and in the end when they got there it was too late. I hope your dad will at least listen to your advice about health so he can take better care of himself. I worry about what I will do when my parents get to that age and then have more serious medical conditions because they refused to ask for a simple blood test for celaic and change their diet. It's a tough spot to be in. I wish you all the best in helping your dad.

IrishHeart Veteran

I find the "older" (but clearly young at heart :P ) members here to be not typical of any generational stereotypes. Y'all are very educated and computer saavy. It's also pretty hard to discern age over the internet. So I apologize deeply if I have offended.

Oh sweetie, no worries! I do not think any of us took offense at all--believe me, we are all laughing that you thought 60 was "older". :lol: My 84- year- old mother hangs out with women in her 60's because she said she "cannot stand to be around" the depressing "old" people that are her peers :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Mom says age is "mind over matter--if you do not mind, it doesn't matter!" ;) I may be 54, but in my head, I'm 22. :)

Besides, I know some "old" people in their 30s---it's all in the attitude! B)

Oh sweetie, no worries! I do not think any of us took offense at all--believe me, we are all laughing that you thought 60 was "older". :lol: My 84- year- old mother hangs out with women in her 60's because she said she "cannot stand to be around" the depressing "old" people that are her peers :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Mom says age is "mind over matter--if you do not mind, it doesn't matter!" ;) I may be 54, but in my head, I'm 22. :)

Besides, I know some "old" people in their 30s---it's all in the attitude! B)

That's true! I'm 31, BTW. People IRL always think I'm older than I am, though. I hope that's not because I'm grumpy or depressing. :ph34r::unsure::lol: You're right though, age is very much about your attitude! :D

IrishHeart Veteran

That's true! I'm 31, BTW. People IRL always think I'm older than I am, though. I hope that's not because I'm grumpy or depressing. :ph34r::unsure::lol: You're right though, age is very much about your attitude! :D

:D

as Bette Davis said..."getting old ain't for sissies". :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

And don't forget, some of us were hippies and sds'ers fighting the war in Vietnam and changing social values, exploring spirituality, alternate economies, philosophies, creativity, sexuality, lifestyles etc.

For me, I started using herbs back in the early 70's and diet and health. Pretty early in the piece I figured out I that I had an "allergy" to the wheat family that was so severe it was destroying my kidneys; and that, despite enjoying a vegetarian diet, it really did not work for me.

Docs did not help too much; I always used them for what I could and figured out the rest, reading whatever I could... Its been a bit like a blind person finding the shape of the elephant, but eventually I mostly have. Thank god for this site nevertheless. Without it I wonder if I would have made the progress I have these last 3 1/2 years since I began to ascertain I needed to avoid all trace gluten. The books and articles out there don't seem to get into these vagaries of avoiding CC enough. And without this site (and others) I doubt I would have discovered I also am salicylic acid intolerant and what all that means.

As far as using the internet for research; I am all into it. Why wouldn't I be?? That is actually what it was originally invented to do, did you know? It is such a natural. It was this sixties generation that mostly invented it after all.

I think some people are just not into doing research however--and do unfortunately passively believe "the authorities" rather than their own experience, or rather than try to discover the why of things--no matter what generation they are from--though I do agree there are generational tendencies due to the times and conditions one grows up with. For me doing my own research concerning my health and those I care about has often been a passion which has saved my life over and over. Am now even thinking of going back to school to study a bit of biology one of these days...

IrishHeart Veteran

I agree.

If it were not for the internet and my endless research (and my refusal to believe that what I had going on was inexplicable--just "stress"), I would never have been able to figure out what the hell was going on.

I actually had one doctor (who knew I was exploring all avenues and researching my symptoms)tell me to "stop trying so hard to get answers--some things are idiopathic" :blink:... in other words, I should accept the non-diagnosis and the misdiagnoses and never ask WHY??.

yeah, right..... :huh:

You guys can't believe how many of them got this wrong....just boggles my mind sometimes. :blink:

mushroom Proficient

It's also pretty hard to discern age over the internet. So I apologize deeply if I have offended.

No offense at all, GlutenFreeManna :D Yes, sometimes it is hard to discern age over the internet, which is perhaps why I suggested we shouldn't make assumptions. :rolleyes: Even people in the same age group come in all shapes, sizes, and degrees of openmindedness (and manners of thinking), and I am guilty of "the crime" myself when talking about people of my parents' generation :o:D

Marilyn R Community Regular

I have the same problem with my family members. My mom recently called me to let me know she had been having digestive issues and was going in for a colonscopy. I urged her to get an endoscopy done at the same time with biopsies to test for celiac. I also urged her to at least ask for the blood panel tests and sent her a link to which tests to ask for. So then this past week I spoke with her on the phone and asked if she had spoken with her dr about testing for celiac. No. She went in for the coloscopy and it looked clear--no polyps or anything. So the dr is just giving her more meds for her symptoms. I asked if she was planning on getitng the celiac blood tests and she said she didn't think she needeed them since the dr gave her meds for her symptoms. I asked her if they knew what CAUSED her symtpoms and she said no, but as long as it wasn't colon cancer the dr didn't seem too concerned...grr...Of course my mom's mom nearly died from intestinal cancer of unknown cause as well...I have begged them both to just get the blood tests. I am giving up now because I think they would just prefer to live with the pain, take pills and eat whatever they want. :(

Yep. You have to give up. Your mother wants you to be her daughter and is going to refuse any advice you give her.

Even if you call her doctor's office and ask them to suggest a celiac panel on her next visit she'll ask if her daughter called them.

I have a two times and out rule. Mention or encourage twice. It frustrates me, but they're living their life, I'm living mine. If they must live in denial, then they'd just cheat on the gluten-free diet anyway. Hence, more angst.

Roda Rising Star

I have not brought anything up in many days and this is how it will just have to be from now on. Unfortunately gluten free will come up since we are planning two family get togethers next month. However, The focus will be on just myself and my youngest son.

Luddie Newbie

Hi All,

I have three kids, one of whom also has a father with juvenile onset diabetes. He's had intestinal polyps removed (he's nearly 50)and I've been bugging him about getting tested for Celiac, or at least telling his doctor that I have it. He poo-pooed the idea for about a year, but finally did mention it to her. He claims she tested him for celiac (I never saw any figures or test results, of course) and it was negative.

So, I'm dropping it. He's smart, he can figure it out. Oh, also his B-12 was the lowest the doc had ever seen!!!

My other son doesn't have any symptoms but is well aware of the goofy ones I have! My daughter is a nurse and a vegetarian. Neither of them seem to have any problems. I'm really glad!

Does anyone know what the probabilities are for Celiac disease skipping a generation? I know they used to say that diabetes did but maybe that's old information (like me!!) I worry about my grandkids.

Luddie

Roda Rising Star

I don't have any info on that. But here is who I suspect in my family: Dad, brother and uncle (dad's brother). Confirmed celiac's are myself, my youngest son and my afformentioned uncle's great grandson. I have a 3rd cousin that is not "officially" diagnosed but so much better gluten free. I'm begining to suspect some of the mental problems my paternal grandmother had (unofficial diagnosis of alzheimers disease she refused any further testing) may have had issues. There are some similarities in her mood swings to my fathers. Most of this is focused on my father's side of the family, but recently my mom thinks that it might have been a strong possibility for my maternal grandmother. Mom said she had "bowel issues" as long as she can remember with chronic diarrhea etc. I'm sure if I dug around the family tree something else would surface. I remember at my paternal grandfather's funeral (I was only 5) his one brother had his hands all bent up in weird ways and it was hard to walk. Years later I realized he had severe rheumatoid arthritis.

Roda Rising Star

I did good today. My dad was telling me about his prep for his colonoscopy in the morning. I just agreed with him and didn't say much!

Judy3 Contributor

ok are we all related to the same people? LOL My family, close and extended have pretty much stopped talking to me since I was diagnosed. I did the 'right' thing and made the phone calls and told them all about the Celiac diagnosis and they all said OMG and that's the last I've heard from any of them... oh well I can't fight their battles for them. My brother has the exact same symptoms that I had and refuses to acknowledge it. So like many of you, I give up!! If my cousins talking to me reminds them of what they 'should' do to help themselves then they don't have to. It's not like I talk about it all the time, at first I did because it was new and scary but now after 7 months it's just becoming the 'standard' so I don't really even think about it much. I know what I can eat and what I can't. If one more person tries to feed me something that is gluten FULL and tells me it's gluten free (they were testing me... WTF????) I'll scream

So on that note.. have a good day and it's nice to finally meet all my long lost relatives here on the site.. LOL

viviendoparajesus Apprentice

stinks when family does not listen. i dislike how doctors do not do tests and miss the diagnosis. good point Elfbaby if they do not get tested or consider the possibility then they do not have to make changes and deal with the struggles of living gluten-free. but it still breaks my heart to know they would not have the weight issues, bloating, indigestion, mood issues, etc if they went gluten-free. my dad seems lost in brain fog but at least he does not shut me down. it is so sad to see how he lives and know he could have a better life. i cannot believe the doctor lied about the test they ran. i have never heard of anything so stupid that if you are not anemic you cannot have celiac. i think one of my biggest fears is that ultimately the gluten will lead to untimely deaths of my loved ones. great emoticon so true. for family that say they do not want the testing for cost and feeling intruded on they could try the diet oh how i wish they would. i know you all are right that we cannot make them see the truth but it does not make it easier for me. i want to respect family member's decisions, but i want to leave the door open. going out to eat being like russian ruler so true maybe that would help my loved ones get it. yeah some people are so scared of the "restrictions" loss and unknown but it is so beautiful and they could always go back to gluten if they are not impressed. why are loved ones and people in general content to treat symptoms instead of the root cause? good point that maybe they do not realize what life can be. sometimes we think how we feel is normal and the best to be hoped for. why do not they want to know? so ad that they would rather die than give up gluten. how come our experiences do not make them realize what they could be risking and the healing they can have? yay gluten free hex. i will take a start. best wishes all!

Roda Rising Star

I talked to my mom yesterday afternoon. I knew my dad had his colonoscopy Thursday morning but I had no intention on asking how it went. Needless to say mom brought it up. She said that the doctor said everything looked good, removed some very small benign polyps and he doesn't need to come back for 5 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad his colonoscopy is normal but it just frustrates me that the other test was poo pooed (no pun intended :lol: ) by both the doctor and my father. I kept telling my mom I didn't really want to discuss it as she already knows how I feel. She kept on and said she tried her best to talk him into it (and she really did, on these issues he won't listen to her either) and so now she thinks the reason for his change in bowel habbits is because he is eating more fiber.?? Sure I could buy this if he suddenly changed his diet, but he hasn't and is eating the same! I just reiterated that I wasn't going to discuss the matter with any longer and to leave it be. I'ts sad but that's how it's gotta be.

I talked to my mom yesterday afternoon. I knew my dad had his colonoscopy Thursday morning but I had no intention on asking how it went. Needless to say mom brought it up. She said that the doctor said everything looked good, removed some very small benign polyps and he doesn't need to come back for 5 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad his colonoscopy is normal but it just frustrates me that the other test was poo pooed (no pun intended :lol: ) by both the doctor and my father. I kept telling my mom I didn't really want to discuss it as she already knows how I feel. She kept on and said she tried her best to talk him into it (and she really did, on these issues he won't listen to her either) and so now she thinks the reason for his change in bowel habbits is because he is eating more fiber.?? Sure I could buy this if he suddenly changed his diet, but he hasn't and is eating the same! I just reiterated that I wasn't going to discuss the matter with any longer and to leave it be. I'ts sad but that's how it's gotta be.

((Hugs)) Roda! I know how hard that maust have been to have that conversation and not bring up gluten or celaic. My mom recently told me her gallbladder is not functionign properly and now she is going to have to have it taken out. I had my gallbladder out about 5 years ago when my health had just started to go downhill and I very strongly suspect that it was due to gluten. I tried to explain to my mom how I felt a little better at first when I had my gallbladder out, but then I got worse. But she really wasn't ready to hear it. She's listening to her dr instead. I wish I had more restraint to not talk to her about it. I'm really goign to try to not brign up celiac again when she calls to tell me when she is having surgery.

lynnelise Apprentice

Relatives are impossible! So many of my family members have symptoms...especially my mom. My mom is 70 and last time I was glutened she asked if I was sure I wasn't over reacting because "everyone has diarrhea after they eat!" I said actually no, everyone doesn't and the fact you think this is normal is kind of proving my point on why you need to investigate this!

Roda Rising Star

((Hugs)) Roda! I know how hard that maust have been to have that conversation and not bring up gluten or celaic. My mom recently told me her gallbladder is not functionign properly and now she is going to have to have it taken out. I had my gallbladder out about 5 years ago when my health had just started to go downhill and I very strongly suspect that it was due to gluten. I tried to explain to my mom how I felt a little better at first when I had my gallbladder out, but then I got worse. But she really wasn't ready to hear it. She's listening to her dr instead. I wish I had more restraint to not talk to her about it. I'm really goign to try to not brign up celiac again when she calls to tell me when she is having surgery.

Thanks. It was hard and the feelings just welled up inside. Even my husband(who is hard to convince of things) said that the decision was stupid. One good thing that comes out of this is that hubby is starting to agree with me that my oldest (10 yrs old) needs further testing (scope/biopsy) even with negative blood tests 3 times. Poor kid is really coming to a stand still with his growth, has been having increasing abdominal pain/bloating/gas pains and has pits in his permanant teeth. We are going to consult a gi and get him scoped. Regardless of the results I will be at least trialing him gluten free.

Luddie Newbie

...One good thing that comes out of this is that hubby is starting to agree with me that my oldest (10 yrs old) needs further testing (scope/biopsy) even with negative blood tests 3 times. Poor kid is really coming to a stand still with his growth, has been having increasing abdominal pain/bloating/gas pains and has pits in his permanant teeth. We are going to consult a gi and get him scoped. Regardless of the results I will be at least trialing him gluten free.

I'm wondering about my 13 year old grandson who has had(constipation) problems his entire life with really bad consequences on the lower colon (abnormally distended). He did live in Australia for several years and the docs there do approach things a bit differently than here. Since January he has had a peculiar rash. Yes, he's been to his pediatrician, Got worse, got better. Got worse (he has decided to become vegetarian). So mom has kept trying to get the end of June Dermatologist appt moved ahead. Nope. No can do. Finally, went to Children's Hosp ER about 6 weeks ago in desperation. Two people independently said, oh, that's impetigo. 5 weeks later (of antibiotics) condition worsening, mom tries again to get earlier appt. Can't, so she takes him back to satellite Children's ER. That time they decided it wasn't impetigo, but might be herpes, so start using antiviral meds. Two days later it's really bad, he's in pain and it's all over so mom takes him back to Children's ER where they simply cannot figure out what's happening. In the meantime I mentioned Dermatitis Herptiforma (sp?) and mom asked about that. They said they weren't able to diagnose that, BUT they did get an earlier appt (next Tuesday) wth the pediatric dematologist. After looking at pictures on the web, seeing the lesions glow under ultraviolet light really makes me think that's it (DH). Anyone have experience with that?

• 4 weeks later...
Roda Rising Star

Well, I managed my vacation back home without giving any unsolicited advice!! :P However gluten came up at the party we had since everyone wanted to know why my youngest son and I were not eating the same. (we got glutened anyway and a 24 hour gi bug) It got really old quick but people were just curious and kept asking questions. Another day my brother started in on me about being gluten free (not in a nice way, he thinks he was funny but I didn't) so my hubby made a comment back. Bad move since he has to live with me. :angry: Very bluntly I told them both to shut the !@#$ up! Sister in law laughs when I told them what they could do. Needless to say they both got put in their place. Hubby should've known better, as he is very supportive of me, but I guess he didn't realize I hadn't take my brother's comment jokingly. Then on the last day my dad starts asking me questions about his biopsy results from his colonoscopy. From my understanding he had several polyps removed and while most were benign, he had one that was precancerous. He has to have a colonoscopy now every two years. I am glad he had the colonoscopy, but why does he and the doctor not feel it is necessary for the EGD? Blows my mind...but I kept my mouth shut. He did however get to see first hand what gluten does to my youngest son and I so hopefully he will be more careful around us. I had made gluten free waffles for everyone the morning before I became really sick and he managed to cc all the left overs so I didn't get anymore(I got some before he cc'd them). He also cc'd my bag of almonds so I had to buy another. I don't mind sharing my food, but I got peeved that he ruined those things for my youngest son and I. All in all I had a great nine days off spending it with my family. I accomplished everthing I wanted to, which was nothing but relax (aside the glutening/flu) and enjoy the company.

Marz Enthusiast

Definitely get the results! My first "celiac" test was an IgE allergy test! I was so pissed off when I found out a few years later, because that threw me completely off the correct diagnosis. Also check they did the full panel - IgA tissue transglutinase (Ttg) as well as anti-gliadin, and total IgA to rule out IgA deficiency. A endogastroscopy would have been good to get with the colonoscopy, I thought the doctors pretty much always do both at the same time.

Even with that, if the test comes back negative, it's going to be hard to convince them to try the diet :/ I managed to get my dad tested (only IgA Anti-gliadin unfortunately), and it came back negative, and now he's convinced he's ok.

With your Dad, I'm afraid if everything's negative, they're just going to diagnose "IBS", give him pills and fiber for the rest of his life, and call it a day. Maybe you can convince him to try the diet, with the view that it's better than taking pills?

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

After reading through this post, my husband's reaction makes more sense.

I've been reading a lot online about Celiac disease after getting my official diagnosis June 28, 2011. I'm noticing symptoms he has..Hashimoto's disease, restless leg syndrome, nearly fatal heart attack at age 53, depression, mood swings, osteoporosis, acid reflux, heartburn, and many more. He was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes too. I said maybe he should be tested for Celiac and he got REALLY angry! His sister has firbromyalgia and RA, lots of issues that fit the list, and his mother had many of the symptoms too.

Maybe he doesn't want to know, because it would mean diet restrictions he's not willing to change?

We switched to healthy fats, and whole grains after his heart attack. I notice he's not avoiding sweets since his type 2 diagnosis though. If I say anything about his huge oversized portions, going back for thirds, or choice of foods he gets mad. He's as stubborn as mule!

Archived