This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It's Official

Poppi

Poppi Enthusiast

What the heck? I love coffee. Love is in fact not a strong enough word to describe how I feel about coffee. Sweet brown nectar of the gods.

But I get this weird mini-gluten reaction to it. I'm fine, I drink a cup of coffee and about half way through I feel super sleepy, my stomach just get unsettled and nauseous and my back pain starts to flare up. It only lasts a couple of hours and luckily it passes and I don't deal with 5-10 days of inflammatory symptoms like I do with gluten but it still makes me sad.

I just went a full month with no coffee and then got my son to grab a cup from the shop across the street. Same reaction. :(

Oh well. Now I know, right?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

What the heck? I love coffee. Love is in fact not a strong enough word to describe how I feel about coffee. Sweet brown nectar of the gods.

But I get this weird mini-gluten reaction to it. I'm fine, I drink a cup of coffee and about half way through I feel super sleepy, my stomach just get unsettled and nauseous and my back pain starts to flare up. It only lasts a couple of hours and luckily it passes and I don't deal with 5-10 days of inflammatory symptoms like I do with gluten but it still makes me sad.

I just went a full month with no coffee and then got my son to grab a cup from the shop across the street. Same reaction. :(

Sounds like the trial separation is going to end in a divorce. No more coffee for Sara! :(

kiwibird75 Newbie

Oh Poppi! I feel your pain :( I go from a normal tummy to massive D with coffee, especially if it has milk in it (I know, duh, lactose...) but the coffee had to go. My coffee guy is probably noticing the lack of funds!

Tea is better for me, but not nearly as satisfying at the moment, but hopefully with time... right???

Chin up chicky - There are worse things in the world.

xx

K

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Hi poppi, I have never been able to drink coffee because it also made me sleepy and sick to my stomach. I found that it has something called tannins in it as well as in cigarettes too. Anything with tannins in it does that to me.

adab8ca Enthusiast

crap crap crap

that is too bad...but at least you know (small teeny consolation)

Darn210 Enthusiast

Poppi, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone as I have seen this on the board before (I'm not actually a coffee drinker, I prefer tea). I have seen that some people have successfully reintroduced coffee after giving their guts a chance to heal. Also, some have successfully switched to decaf instead as caffiene was the problem. You might want to try a milder roast or even just go with 1/2 a cup . . . but you might want to wait until you've been gluten free a little longer. I don't want to get your hopes up, just wanted to list a couple of possibilites.

Lisa Mentor

\

What's the shop across the street? Does home brewed bother you also?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jungle Rookie

Some coffee shops put msg in their coffee.

ElseB Contributor

I've been gluten free for 3 years, very strict adherence to the diet, and now I'm suddenly having problems with coffee. It started last week. I get bad gas before I"m even halfway through the cup. I don't drink a lot of coffee, at most 4 cups a week, but I ENJOY those 4 cups!!! I like tea too, but I WANT MY COFFEE!!! I think I'll try a trial separation...maybe my gut is just cranky at the moment.

Poppi Enthusiast

What's the shop across the street? Does home brewed bother you also?

It's a Tim Horton's. I've also tried a local shop that roasts their own beans and a couple varieties of the Starbucks Via packets. Same reaction every time.

I haven't made any coffee at home since a month before I went gluten free because I was hooked on the Caramel Starbucks Via.

mushroom Proficient

I haven't had any caffeine since 1972 :o but I drink decaf capucchinos all the time :lol: For me, it's the caffeine, so I drink herbal teas also, no coke!!

kareng Grand Master

It's a Tim Horton's. I've also tried a local shop that roasts their own beans and a couple varieties of the Starbucks Via packets. Same reaction every time.

I haven't made any coffee at home since a month before I went gluten free because I was hooked on the Caramel Starbucks Via.

You have a Tim Hortons across the street? Does that greasy donut smell drive you nuts? Not in a " I want donut" way. We loved them when we have been in Canada & not gluten-free, but they smell greasy.

Maybe give it a couple of months and try some plain home made coffee?

kareng Grand Master

Some coffee shops put msg in their coffee.

Who puts msg in coffee? What? Aghhhh!

But really, who does that?

Poppi Enthusiast

You have a Tim Hortons across the street? Does that greasy donut smell drive you nuts? Not in a " I want donut" way. We loved them when we have been in Canada & not gluten-free, but they smell greasy.

Maybe give it a couple of months and try some plain home made coffee?

Well it's not exactly across the street more like kitty corner from our back yard and there is an Earl's in between the Tim's and our house so we mostly smell their wood burning ovens which is quite nice.

• 4 weeks later...
juj2003 Newbie

Ohh- My first post here, and something I can actually help with (maybe).

If you have access to a Teavanna I would highly recommend their JavaMatte Tea. It is delicious and is reminiscent of coffee (also has the kick).

kareng Grand Master

Ohh- My first post here, and something I can actually help with (maybe).

If you have access to a Teavanna I would highly recommend their JavaMatte Tea. It is delicious and is reminiscent of coffee (also has the kick).

You may have the most significant & important post of the year! :D

Tea that tastes like coffee! :blink:

We will be expecting big things from you now! Welcome!

Adrienne2823 Newbie

After a full year I have just been able to tolerate one type of coffee: Folgers Simply Smooth. Every other type of coffee wrecks my gut so bad...

No Starbucks

No super strong coffee brewed at work either :P

But if you are willing, give the simply smooth a try.

kellynolan82 Explorer

In terms of gluten free, you can never go wrong with long-black! Then you'll know for sure whether it's the impact of gluten :)

Archived