This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dow Bread Enhancer

kareng

kareng Grand Master

Saw this and thought it was interesting.

Commercial:

Info:

Open Original Shared Link

Order a sample at bottom of page:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Did you order a sample, K?

It kind of reminds me of Expandex:

kareng Grand Master

No. I thought it was interesting and a cute commercial. I figure it would spark a discussion but it's a holiday weekend in the US, so maybe not.

rosetapper23 Explorer

Triumph Dining's newsletter had a story on this yesterday, too. Kind of creeps me out that a chemical company like Dow would bother with finding a gluten-free substitute....and I sure hope that it really IS the result of vegetable matter manipulation and not something chemically unnatural involved. I did order a sample, though it looks as though the samples are really meant for companies and not consumers. If I actually receive it, I'll let everyone know what I thought of it. And, of course, if it also contains soy, I won't bother even trying it.

IrishHeart Veteran

I am betting it is more like a tapioca starch.

What else would "blow up" baked goods? :lol:

But yes, having it come from a "chemical" company does give one pause.

I may order a sample just for kicks!

Skylark Collaborator

It's probably some kind of methyl cellulose.

Yep, I found it. Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose and carboxymethylcellulose. They're getting the cellulose from wood so there won't be any soy in it.

This kind of stuff is basically an indigestible fiber. Nice alternative to folks like me who don't tolerate xanthan gum.

IrishHeart Veteran

They're getting the cellulose from wood .

Hubs said this, too! (By now, you all know he is a chemist)

We read labels ....and I ask well????? what is THIS?? :lol:

He said cellulose is wood, hon.... and I said "Ok, so can I have it?" he said.... sure! :)

....But I KNOW what it means. It means "bowel movements".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

I don't trust it. Period.

lpellegr Collaborator

Methylcellulose has been around for a long time in food, as a thickener and emulsifier. You have probably consumed it without knowing it. Citrucel is methylcellulose. The difference with this product is that they are marketing it to the public as well as to industry. It's not new or strange, just unfamiliar to most people. It would be interesting to see what effect Citrucel would have in bread. Hmmm, my next baking experiment...

ciamarie Rookie

Here's something funny, last Thanksgiving or so my (twin) brother, who would not consider putting down the wheat bread, said something to the effect of ' Before you know it, the only thing you'll be able to eat is tree bark' ! Maybe he's not too far off... lol. :lol:

Though seriously, it looks similar to some of the ingredients in EnerG bread.

Lisa Mentor

No. I thought it was interesting and a cute commercial. I figure it would spark a discussion but it's a holiday weekend in the US, so maybe not.

It was aired here and it caught my attention, and a quick dismiss. It was very generic. But gluten free was a used word.

Dow might be a larger monster to jump on. And I'm not too sure what their input is....yet?

fantasticalice Explorer

Triumph Dining's newsletter had a story on this yesterday, too. Kind of creeps me out that a chemical company like Dow would bother with finding a gluten-free substitute....and I sure hope that it really IS the result of vegetable matter manipulation and not something chemically unnatural involved. I did order a sample, though it looks as though the samples are really meant for companies and not consumers. If I actually receive it, I'll let everyone know what I thought of it. And, of course, if it also contains soy, I won't bother even trying it.

DITTO! If it's DOW don't buy it! You can make your own enhancer!!!! It's easy, google it.

fantasticalice Explorer

A little ginger powder, 1/4 tea, a little jello, 1/4 tea and something else...I'm not eating bread but if i did I would try this:

I trust the foreign borns, they have been at it a lot longer than we have!

Alice

IrishHeart Veteran

It would be interesting to see what effect Citrucel would have in bread. Hmmm, my next baking experiment...

I suspect you will have more bowel movements, for starters. That's a lot of fiber. :lol:

squirmingitch Veteran

Methylcellulose has been around for a long time in food, as a thickener and emulsifier. You have probably consumed it without knowing it. Citrucel is methylcellulose. The difference with this product is that they are marketing it to the public as well as to industry. It's not new or strange, just unfamiliar to most people. It would be interesting to see what effect Citrucel would have in bread. Hmmm, my next baking experiment...

Yes, I know methylcellulose has been around. I read labels before I had to go gluten-free. It's Dow that I don't trust.

IrishHeart Veteran

Though seriously, it looks similar to some of the ingredients in EnerG bread.

blech....I'd rather eat tree bark than that stuff. :lol:

(IMHO)

Nobody get mad at me now. :lol:

rosetapper23 Explorer

IrishHeart,

No need to be afraid--I think we pretty much all share that particular opinion! It's funny, some of their other products are pretty good (crackers and lasagna noodles), but they just can't seem to make bread.

Archived