This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bath Products

Cuervo

Cuervo Rookie

What ingredients should I be looking for when I am buying shower gel and hand and body cream and stuff? I was just in the drug store looking for some shower gel and I have no idea which ones I can use and which ones I can't.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I believe Dove products across the board are gluten free. But always read labels. Dove will list wheat if added.

Cuervo Rookie

So, it will say wheat? The shower gel that I just looked at had a bunch of weird names, but did not say wheat. I almost had to be a scientist to understand the ingreadients in the shower gel.

Lisa Mentor
So, it will say wheat? The shower gel that I just looked at had a bunch of weird names, but did not say wheat. I almost had to be a scientist to understand the ingreadients in the shower gel.

You can go to the home page here and on the left side - click on Site Index. There you can find a list of Safe and Fobidden Lists. Cosmetics do have long words that only a Chemist could understand.

Ursa Major Collaborator

You need to look for things like wheat germ oil, barley extract, oat bran. I had a list of gluten ingredients in Latin, but can't find it. Other than something sounding like aveeno (oats) I don't remember what it said.

Cuervo Rookie

Thanks guys. :P

happygirl Collaborator

triticum is another name for wheat on hair/beauty products.

avena is oats.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cuervo Rookie

Here's another one. I'm guessing Oat Flour is off limits too then. I was hoping I could have the Cerial Corn Pops and the only ingredient that might be bad for me is Oat Flour.

simplicity66 Explorer

What shampoo conditioners toothpaste body wash is used by members of this message board???......I heard that Aveeno was off limits and not to use it......

JennyC Enthusiast

You do have to be scientist to understand those names...actually an orgaanic chemist! B) I'll ask my latin instructor a list of common names of gluten products in latin tomorrow.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
What shampoo conditioners toothpaste body wash is used by members of this message board???......I heard that Aveeno was off limits and not to use it......

I use either Giovanni Organic shampoo and conditioner or Suave. I use Suave lotions, they will clearly list oats and wheat so I avoid the oatmeal ones. I stick with Crest toothpaste. Aveeno is off limits, at least any products I have checked.

purplemom Apprentice

o.k hope this helps. My son's skin was breaking out because of gluten in soaps (i think mainly oats) so we stay away from gluten in the bathroom as well as in the kitchen!!

ivory bar soap

Crest for kids

Arm & hammer Peroxi Care toothpaste

Burts Bees Grapefruit Shampoo

California Baby bubble bath (very pricey) but I love this stuff

Burts bees lotions (check labels, burts puts out a gluten free list if you go on their website)

Desert Essesence Organics Hair Care

I'll keep thinking and post again if i think of more.

Good Luck

Cali

jerseyangel Proficient

Some products I use--Dove bar soap, Thermasilk shampoo & conditioner, Loreal Vive Pro shampoo & conditioner, Jason Powersmile toothpaste, ShiKai Everyday shampoo & conditioner, Kiss My Face Pure Olive Oil bar soap and Softsoap liquid hand soaps. Crest and Colgate toothpastes are also safe. Dove will clearly list any gluten ingredients.

Badger Balm makes a great lip balm--plain or in flavors. They do not use gluten at all in any of their products.

I'm a very sensitive Celiac, and react to very small amounts of cross contamination. I've been gluten-free for almost 2 years, and honestly I now just read labels on personal care products. Once in a while, they will use the latin word, but then will list (wheat) or (oat) after it. Most times, they just list the ingredients in plain English.

I'm good if I remember to bring my reading glasses shopping with me :D

If in doubt, you can call the company--there is most always an 800 number on the packaging.

NoGluGirl Contributor
What ingredients should I be looking for when I am buying shower gel and hand and body cream and stuff? I was just in the drug store looking for some shower gel and I have no idea which ones I can use and which ones I can't.

Dear Cuervo,

Stick with Dove and Suave. They clearly label any gluten containing ingredients. This makes it much simpler. Body wash is definitely something you need to be careful with. It goes all over you. You do not want a full body rash! I have eczema, so I am careful!

Dear simplicity66,

Here is a list for you:

Dove Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Styling Aids, and Lotions (Gluten is clearly labeled if present)

Suave Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Styling Aids, and Lotions (Gluten is clearly labeled if present)

Olay Quench Body Lotion

Vasoline Petroleum Jelly

Johnson's Baby Oil

Soft Soap Hand Soaps

Colgate Toothpastes

Crest Whitening Expressions Toothpastes

Crest White Strips

Colgate Simply White

Revlon LipGlides (I am wearing Sparkling Sangria in my avatar)

CoverGirl (Clearly labels gluten when present)

Maybelline (Clearly labels gluten when present)

Wet'n Wild (All safe except for one of the mascaras)

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Cuervo Rookie

Thanks that helps a lot.

What does using products with gluton do? I understand that when we eat gluton it is in our bodies and wreaks havoc with our insides , but what happens if we us a hair product that has wheat in it. it is not like we ingested it. i was takinga bath last night and discovered that the product I use to help stimulate healthier hair growthh, has "wheat protein infuses intensive nourshment and reconstruction" Needles to say I rinsed it out immediately. I am wondering if I should be expecting some reprecusions from this.

NoGluGirl Contributor
Thanks that helps a lot.

What does using products with gluton do? I understand that when we eat gluton it is in our bodies and wreaks havoc with our insides , but what happens if we us a hair product that has wheat in it. it is not like we ingested it. i was takinga bath last night and discovered that the product I use to help stimulate healthier hair growthh, has "wheat protein infuses intensive nourshment and reconstruction" Needles to say I rinsed it out immediately. I am wondering if I should be expecting some reprecusions from this.

Dear Cuervo,

Even when you do not have a skin reaction, using gluten-free products is smart. You see, certain things like lotion you can accidentally ingest. That is why it is so important to have gluten-free cosmetics, shampoos, lotions, etc. Although gluten particles are too large to go through the pores of your skin, having it on your skin is problematic when you forget it is there. Ingestion of it is easy when you forget about it. Hair products that you spray can have it, and if inhaled, are ingested. That can make you sick.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

alamaz Collaborator

some celiacs are sensitive to gluten even being on the skin. i switched to the desert essences organic gluten-free shampoos and conditioners and my scalp feels soooo much better. i always used to have dry scalp- year round!

amy

• 4 weeks later...
foxglove Rookie

hey!

i'm really new to this (i just got diagnosed a month ago) so this is all really helpful. i was wondering if anybody knew if hair dye is safe. i know to be wary of the conditioner that goes with it, but i wasn't sure about the dye itself. also, do we need to be careful of deodorants?

thanks!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
hey!

i'm really new to this (i just got diagnosed a month ago) so this is all really helpful. i was wondering if anybody knew if hair dye is safe. i know to be wary of the conditioner that goes with it, but i wasn't sure about the dye itself. also, do we need to be careful of deodorants?

thanks!

There are enough good gluten free hair dyes on the market so it just makes sense to use one that is. If I use a dye that has gluten, usually wheat germ oil, my hair falls out and I get a rash. I don't use a dye anymore, learning to like the gray streaks, but many do so you might want to post a query on which brands are safe. I used to use a Loreal Product that was safe.

NoGluGirl Contributor
hey!

thanks!

Dear foxglove,

I use WaterWorks hair dye. It is a natural henna kind of dye. As far as I can tell, it does not have gluten. It also has no ammonia or peroxide! I use L'Oreal Vive Pro Conditioner and Tresseme ColorThrive Shampoo for brunettes and redheads. (I am raven-haired). As far as I can tell, these are safe, as the companies makeing these clearly label ingredients. My deodorant is made by Mennen, which as far as I am aware, also are good about labeling. I use Mitchum for Women in Clear. Unilever labels all of their products clearly as well. Any of their brands will be labeled clearly.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

loraleena Contributor

Also it could say Tritcam Vulgar which is wheat or it may say grain alcohol. A lot of natural products show this.

• 2 years later...
Mrs.Doyle Newbie

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps - the packaging is wacky & entertaining to read as well... comes in lots of scents and unscented,solid and liquid, to which you can add your own essential oils if you want a custom scent... works well as a soap, shampoo, etc.

Pure Organic Coconut Oil - solid at room temperature, melts at body temperature, smells yummy and you can add essential oils to it too if you want to make it scented. It is a great lotion for skin and face (helped with my breakouts) and a good hair conditioner, although it can be somewhat hard to rinse out, so I just use it as a deep conditioner once in a while.

I had to dump all of my uber girly super fun smelly products because I started having reactions to them... and then I started thinking about the ingredients and chemicals and being a green consumer. It was almost more difficult to give up my beauty products than it was gluten!

I use Everyday Minerals make-up. If you go to their website you can order a free sample kit to try out the colors. It lasts quite a while!

Archived