This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I Thought Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Was gluten-free

Janeti

Janeti Apprentice

OK, who put the gluten in the peanut butter cup?? I had 2 of the small cups yesterday, and had stomach pains through the day and night. I called Hersheys today, and they said they could not guarantee that is it gluten-free. But my stomach knows :angry: Anyone else have a reaction to the peanut butter cups? Janet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gdobson Explorer
OK, who put the gluten in the peanut butter cup?? I had 2 of the small cups yesterday, and had stomach pains through the day and night. I called Hersheys today, and they said they could not guarantee that is it gluten-free. But my stomach knows :angry: Anyone else have a reaction to the peanut butter cups? Janet

I am afraid of peanutbutter cups. When I called about them originally (which was quite some time ago) the csr told me that it depended on the size of the peanutbutter cup - :blink:

Lisa Mentor

Some of the mini's are thought NOT to be gluten free, but the larger versions ARE considered gluten free.

I have no factual basis for this, but it comes up every year about this time.

missy'smom Collaborator

One could always do what my former co-worker did(non-celiac), buy a good chocolate bar and dip it right into the container of P.B.!

mommyagain Explorer
One could always do what my former co-worker did(non-celiac), buy a good chocolate bar and dip it right into the container of P.B.!

Oh yeah... before celiac I used to dip chocolate covered pretzels in the peanut butter! YUMMMMMMY!

sansglutengrl Explorer

I'm sorry that you got sick Janeti, BUT:

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are ABSOLUTELY gluten free.

I literally eat these by the pound - and am very sensitive - I have never had a problem.

Some of the holiday Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - the ones that are shaped differently, have wheat in them - but Hershey's will never hide gluten, so you just have to be careful. 

confused Community Regular

Do you have any other problems with dairy. I cant eat recees cause in casein intolerant, but i sure miss them, they were my fav candy bar for years

paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hollyres Explorer
Do you have any other problems with dairy. I cant eat recees cause in casein intolerant, but i sure miss them, they were my fav candy bar for years

paula

If you can have dark chocolate chips, you might be able to make quick fudge. I take chocolate chips, microwave them (just a handful), stir once melted, quickly add peanut butter (and butter/sour cream if okay), powdered sugar, roll into little balls, refrigerate, and eat - easy and yummy!

Kaycee Collaborator

Before I go any further, Janeti, you wouldn't have anyproblems with peanuts would you? Just a thought.

But what wonderful ideas. I'm tempted to give them a go. I had been wondering what peanut butter cups were and now I sort of know. Peanuts and chocolate, lovely. My favourite would be peanut slabs. A concoction of peanuts in chocolate, in a big solid heafty bar. Yummy.

Cathy

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I made homemade peanut butter fudge the other day....yum!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
Oh yeah... before celiac I used to dip chocolate covered pretzels in the peanut butter! YUMMMMMMY!

I dip Glutino Stick Pretzels into peanut butter! Heavenly!

Janeti Apprentice

I have called Hersheys several times in the past, and asked them about different kinds of the kisses. They gave me a direct anwer of "no", they are gluten-free. I thought that I remembered seeing somewhere that the peanut butter cups were gluten-free. But today when I called and asked them about the mini peanut butter cups, they said they could not say that they were gluten-free. This makes me crazy. It's not worth having that nausea and hanging out in the bathroom for most of the night over a half of mouthful of a little chocoalte with peanut butter. I still say that if something has gluten.....it should say it. Janet

ab123 Rookie

When I was little I used to make peanut butter cups with my grandma. We would just get cupcake pans and put the little cupcake tins in it. Then my grandma would melt chocolate on the stove and spoon in some chocolate. She would let that sit and get kind of hard and then put peanut butter on top. Then she would spoon another layer of chocolate on top and then put the whole thing in the fridge to cool. It was just like a reeses (expecially since you use the cupcake tins...they make the ridges on the side), but tasted so much better with creamy peanut butter in it instead of the dry stuff in reeses.

It is really easy to do and would def. be gluten free!!

silly celiac Rookie
When I was little I used to make peanut butter cups with my grandma. We would just get cupcake pans and put the little cupcake tins in it. Then my grandma would melt chocolate on the stove and spoon in some chocolate. She would let that sit and get kind of hard and then put peanut butter on top. Then she would spoon another layer of chocolate on top and then put the whole thing in the fridge to cool. It was just like a reeses (expecially since you use the cupcake tins...they make the ridges on the side), but tasted so much better with creamy peanut butter in it instead of the dry stuff in reeses.

It is really easy to do and would def. be gluten free!!

I've been making candies for years at the holidays using different molds or cups (a la reeses cups) and always do a homemade Reese's cup. I even have a mold that's the same size. This year will be my first holiday season gluten-free, so I may need to tweak the recipes a bit, but for my peanut butter, I would mix melted butter and powdered sugar with the peanut butter for the filling. YUM-MY!!!

Motorboater Explorer

Hello, I also posted a question on here the other day because I ate a Reese's Peanut Butter "pumpkin" cup and had ill reactions, I called Hershey's and they counld not tell me that any of the peanut butter cups were gluten free. I also read that they may use wheat when rolling out the ingredients but I don't know for sure. I actually bought some hershey bars and a new jar of peanut butter and will make my own so no more ill feelings occur. Good luck! Pam

confused Community Regular
If you can have dark chocolate chips, you might be able to make quick fudge. I take chocolate chips, microwave them (just a handful), stir once melted, quickly add peanut butter (and butter/sour cream if okay), powdered sugar, roll into little balls, refrigerate, and eat - easy and yummy!

that sounds so good, i was thinking of getting enjoy life choco chips and doing that, but of ocurse they dont carry them here, and i think i heard they have soy, but not sure. will have to look that up.

paula

zansu Rookie

Trader Joes sells mini peanut butter cups that are gluten-free.

nowheatnomilk Rookie

you might have a sensitivity to milk.. I do.. and I only eat.. one little mini cup and I get gassy.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I recently came across this

Looks yummy :)

Motorboater Explorer

About 10 days ago I had put the same question out on the board as I had the same reaction you did and called Hershey's and they told me the same thing they told you..........I got Hershey's plain chocolate bars and a jar of peanut butter and dip my candy bar in the peanut butter.........it saves me the illness. Good luck!

Pam

babygirl1234 Rookie

the mini peanutbutter cups arnt gluten-free? but the reg are

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

I work in Hershey and I know a guy who work for hershey co and I posed a question to him about this one time. This is what he speculated about this:

Regular Reeses are made at the Reeses plant in hershey. This plant only makes a limited amount thing, probally all gluten free items. The other sizes are made at other plants, and those plants can be mixed with gluten containing products as well as the reeses. This seems to make sense, however I know at the main plant in hershey (called 19 East), they make kisses and kitkats and dark chocolate all in the same plant, but on different days. (I know this because I drive by it on my way home and I can just SMELL what they make everyday!)

Granted this is all speculation from a guy who works in sales at hershey, not actually making the chocolate, so he's not offical or anything, but it made sense to me.

dadoffiveboys Rookie
Some of the mini's are thought NOT to be gluten free, but the larger versions ARE considered gluten free.

I have no factual basis for this, but it comes up every year about this time.

I got a question.. have you seen the new regular reese's cups that are CRISPY?(ie might have gluten in them :( ) Does this mean our regular peanut butter cups will no longer be safe.. because they ARE the same size as the regular cups ? Just thought since you are talking about reactions I'd put it up. The second I saw ads for those new cups I STOPPED buying reese's products. I also noticed more cookie products. It seems all the food manufacturers are doing this and every company I see I switch away from! :(

I'm now switching to eating the chocolate that is high Cacao % (greater than 50) and eating it with peanut butter instead!

• 4 months later...
ddsteiker Newbie

I have been eating the Reeses cups since I was diagnosed, but recently I had a reaction to them. I know that when I call places, the veracity of information is subject to the insight of the person on the other end of the phone, which is many times incapable of knowing facts on "gluten free." For now, the mini reeses seem to have some gluten aspect withint them.

larry mac Enthusiast
.... have you seen the new regular reese's cups that are CRISPY?..... I also noticed more cookie products. It seems all the food manufacturers are doing this .....

You've got a good point. It does seem to be a fad, and for good reason. People react to new products, and I loved all the "crispy" versions that were starting to come out about 1