This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Strangest - But Positive - Effects Of The gluten-free Diet?

ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

I thought I'd give a shot at creating a positivity-thread, focusing on unexpected benefits of adopting the gluten-free diet. :)

In my case, I got longer lashes. I have to keep my eye glasses lower on my nose than I used to, because my eyelashes "scratch" the lenses. Kinda funny. But keep it a secret, lest this should feed the 'fad diet' rumor!  :P

Anyone else had funny-good side effects?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

My hair is back to its major  childhood thickness :blink: and is growing just as fast as it did then to :blink:

nvsmom Community Regular

I had no idea that my migraines were gluten related. I was sooooo happy and surprised when those stopped happening for weeks every month.  :) It's not exactly a funny improvement, but I tell you, I could almost laugh out loud with relief!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

The age spots are falling off my neck!

JohanJohan Rookie

Bad arm pit sweat. Gone completly :)

JohanJohan Rookie

My hair is back to its major  childhood thickness :blink: and is growing just as fast as it did then to :blink:

My hair improved as well :)

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Pre-gluten free when waking up in the morning, I would have to run through the days of the week in my mind to work out what day it was!

Gluten free this doesn't happen! Yay!

A symptom of brain fog, I presume.

Also would often wake up to a heavy cold starting - oh no! got a bad cold coming on :o but symptoms all gone by mid/late morning! - another gluten thing - now in the past, thank goodness!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

I don't have as much garbage to put out.  Since I mainly eat whole foods, and they have less packaging and crap.  There is less garbage to  put in the trash.

Flaykee Rookie

The excessive blushing/flushing!  I had gotten so bad that I would feel my face burning red even if I thought someone was looking my way.  I haven't felt that since being gluten-free.  My face was almost constantly red too, but that isn't the case now!  It was embarrassing to blush all the time and to look like I was always blushing!

Night sweats and being extremely hot at night has stopped.  It is so nice to not turn the heat down so low AND have the fan blowing on me all night throughout the winter!

pianoland Rookie

I wake up feeling good and rested, and keep my energy throughout the day. I can fight off colds like a champ. It's changed my life for the better!

Bad arm pit sweat. Gone completly :)

Ha! That's awesome!

The age spots are falling off my neck!

I can sort of picture lots of dark spots flaking off like bits of snow... :D

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I don't know about funny, but certainly unexpected.  I had been wearing glasses for 30 years.  My vision got blurry and after awhile I noticed that it wasn't blurry with the glasses off.  I didn't need glasses anymore.  I went to the opthamologist.  She couldn't explain it, but said that I needn't keep coming for all that vision testing that she had been doing. 

My joint swelling went away.  I could wear rings again.

Energy returned, depression went away, things that I had thought were from ageing were gone.

It was nice to age in reverse for a few years.  I felt like a teenager again.  I think I am back to the normal process now.  Oh well. 

dhd2000 Newbie

No more panic attacks and no more terrible nightmares. Also a big reduction in migraines and this pain I had in my right leg is gone unless I accidentally get glutened!

Dee in NC

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

A lot of people have reported a decreased tolerance for alcohol, turning into

lightweights basically overnight. This same thing happened to me, and I love

it! I might be weird, but I'm also a cheapskate, and I have a fondness for top-

shelf alcohol. Now, if I'm drinking just to enjoy something, it's only one glass

of beer or wine. I'm I'm drinking to get drunk, it only takes two or three. I call

that a score! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pegleg84 Collaborator

My nails used to be weak and brittle and ridgy and awful. Now they're tough and healthy. (though I still can't be bothere to do anything with them). This change was actually my one bit of proof that I'm Celiac

I also enjoy being a cheap drunk. I can nurse that one can of gluten-free beer all night long...

Chiana Apprentice

I don't get cold sores like I used to anymore.  I was getting them every other month or so, and now I get maybe one a year. :)

Takala Enthusiast

My fingernails....  what is it, with having to keep on trimming the things back once a week ?!  They won't stop growing.  My problem is that long nails are not really compatible with my outdoors activities, and now I have to remember to cut them down after a shower when they are softened.   And then there are the toenails.  They are somewhere down there beyond bifocal land way out on the end of any easy reach, and they won't stop growing, either.  I think I am going to kill myself trying to contort to see in focus, to reach the toenails for the proper trim and filing. So sometimes I just say to heck with it and either enlist my spouse to help, or go and get a pedicure.  So the nail salon industry is getting the benefit, here. 

Hair had to go shorter, because it came in too thick.  More trims!

Don't miss the chronic kidney/bladder problems, either, nor constantly getting infections.  At least that does not require grooming.  :lol:

shadowicewolf Proficient

I'm not hungry all the time. :blink:

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Oh, the hunger thing! I went a whole year without being able to sleep through the night,

having to get up to eat. Boy, I don't miss that!!!!

shadowicewolf Proficient

Oh, the hunger thing! I went a whole year without being able to sleep through the night,

having to get up to eat. Boy, I don't miss that!!!!

Ditto.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

FINALLY going on a whole foods diet, once I realized I had other food intolerances. I feel way better. I danced for an hour and a half recently, where I struggled to do 10 minutes last summer.

General reduction in inflammation, plantar fasciitis gone, hand an neck pain drastically reduced.

YAY CM! By the way, I felt enormously better on that kind of diet. I can tolerate most dairy (not all, which is weird) fine, but I need to limit nuts to 1/4 cup and not every day, because my tummy is not happy with more than that.

gatita Enthusiast

My gums are wayyy healthier.

I've noticed my eyelashes are longer too, but never thought about why! Funny...

EricaM15 Rookie

I've had a lot of nice things happen since starting the gluten-free diet. My eyebrows got thicker and I no longer have to pluck away any stray hairs, my hair is softer and smoother, acne cleared up, and my body fat distribution is beginning to shift. I previously carried all my weight in my abdomen, and it's been slowly spreading to my arms, legs, and hips, which is nice. I might actually have curves one day.

kittty Contributor

The whites of my eyes are brighter, and my eyelids are no longer puffy, which makes me look alert and awake. I've had lots of people comment about how refreshed and vibrant I look now.

My vision has also improved since going gluten free. I couldn't read the descriptions on Netflix before, and now they're very clear. Vision goes blurry again aftert a glutening though.

Archived