This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite Make-up And Skin Care

lindalee

Mango04 Enthusiast

I would recommend the starter kit as well. You get smaller versions of most of the products, but it's everything you need - even a cheesey instructional dvd :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Green12 Enthusiast

jersey, Chelse, Berneses, and Mango

You guys are awesome! All of your suggestions were so helpful. After spending some time at QVC looking everything over, I realized the starter kit was probably the way to go to "get started" with it. I didn't see a kit like that at QVC so I went to Sephora and they say the kit is exclusive to them.

Anyway, I ordered the Fairly Light/Light kit ($70 with shipping and tax) and it is on its way. I am so excited :D

Thanks so much!!!

Matilda Enthusiast

Green12 Enthusiast
These are things I've accidentally bought from BE that are not gluten-free - Big Tease mascara, eye brow gel, and a lippie, can't remember the name, it came in the GOG kit. Also Skin-revver-upper, contains oats.

They've started selling Rare Minerals, which is a powder skin treatment to wear at night. This definitely has wheat listed in the ingredients.

I don't consider BE gluten-free anymore. This is no hardship tp me as it gave me itchy spots. I use Larenim, which has minimal ingredients and doesn't irritate my skin. The foundation, MV equivalent and bronzer are excellent, the blush and eye-shadow colours are a bit weird.

Julie, I hope you like the BE but be a little careful about it. It's definitely not a completely gluten-free line, and I've never been able to get any sense out of them when I've rung them.

Thanks for the heads up Matilda. I'm really just interested in the basics like foundation, powder, and mineral veil and warmth for blush. So as long as those things are gluten free I'm good.

I hope my skin will like BE, I'm crossing my fingers that I don't react adversely to it.

lindalee Enthusiast
WoW!

I'm even more confused.

As I read down this thread...Many of you are still using products with gluten... or maybe you just don't know it? Or this isn't a gluten free list?

Hi sillyak screwed, What's in your makeup bag? I am going shopping today. Do you use smashbox? I would appreciate any suggestions, Thanks, LindaLee

lindalee Enthusiast
I use Alterna Caviar Shampoo and Conditioner. The hairspray is not gluten-free.

I use Estee Lauder Equalizer foundation, and their lip pencils and eye pencils.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head ...

Are the estee Lauder you use gluten free? I have an appointment with them today? LindaLee

Well, I just ordered my Lip Venom from QVC.com. While I was on there, I also bought a Kitchenaid hand mixer (my old cheap one quit 2 days ago in the middle of whipping potatoes) and a pair of black crop pants. Somebody stop me :ph34r:

How do you like the lip venom? LindaLee

i love cosmetics!!!!!!!!!!

Skin:

Mountain Trip coconut moisturizer (local grocery store)

Burt's Bee's baby Bee moisturizer

Philosophy lavender pound cake shower cream (YUM!!!!)

dove deodorant

Neutrogena shampoo and conditioner 9gluten clearly marked)

Sebastian Evocativ shampoo

Cosmetics:

Burt's bees lip shimmers

lumene concealer (CVS)

lancome foundation and bronzer

bare Escentuals mineral veil

Lumene blush

Lavera mascara

What foundation and bronzer do you use? I am going out to buy some at Nordstom's LLEE

Julie--I love their foundation, and the other face products like bisque, blush, all over face color, glimmers and the mineral vail. I think the bare minerals look so much more natural than any other type of foundation I have used. The coverage is good, too. There is a small learning curve to applying, but it's easy! I do not care for their eye shadows--it's loose minerals, and I find them hard to apply to a small area (like eyelids). I am currently using their mascara, but plan to try Smashbox next because I'm not crazy about the BE. Someone just recently posted an email stating that Smashbox mascara and eye shadows are gluten-free. I was happy to hear that--I like their stuff, but was not sure it was safe. FYI--the BE foundations have an SPF of 15.

I can't find that linK about the smashbox something about mixing it on the nails? Was that you? Thanks,LLee

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Uh-no! :o I've been using the BE for many years and the last couple of months I've used the BE Big-Tease and I didn't realize it wasn't gluten free. Thanks for the info.

I've just started using some BeautiControl products. They maintain a gluten free product list as well. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

LindaLee--I received the Lip Venom a few days ago. I do like it--it's a nice, clear gloss--my lips didn't look fuller but they did look like I gave them a drink of water :D --a bit plumper. It did not sting as much as I was expecting--just a slight tingle for the first few minutes. Oh--the Smashbox/mixing on the nails thing--that wasn't me. :) But I would love to see the Smashbox gluten-free list if someone could post it!

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast
Hi sillyak screwed, What's in your makeup bag? I am going shopping today. Do you use smashbox? I would appreciate any suggestions, Thanks, LindaLee

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for thinking of me... I have a little confession to make.

Years ago before I became disabled with celiac disease or before I was married -- I was a celebrity hair & make up artist. You know beauty for the stars. I had my own line and was a platform artist teaching 1000s in the beauty industry at hair shows. I know a little more about make up and hair care then the average diva. [giggle]

I have started to put together a list good and bad of beauty supplies on my blogg. I have sent hundreds of eMail to companies. It is not finished yet. I will work more on it this weekend and then link it here to my blogg.

Estee Lauder and Clinique are my least favorite. Honestly, I don't like expensive department store make up.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Years ago before I became disabled with celiac disease or before I was married -- I was a celebrity hair & make up artist. You know beauty for the stars. I had my own line and was a platform artist teaching 1000s in the beauty industry at hair shows. I know a little more about make up and hair care then the average diva. [giggle]

I have started to put together a list good and bad of beauty supplies on my blogg. I have sent hundreds of eMail to companies. It is not finished yet. I will work more on it this weekend and then link it here to my blogg.

Estee Lauder and Clinique are my least favorite. Honestly, I don't like expensive department store make up.

What's your favorite "drug store" brand?

lindalee Enthusiast

Thanks, Looking forward to it and especially what you use. I got the royal treatment today at Nordstrom's-SMASHBOX. I simply explained before the appointment about the "gluten" and the top dogs were there helping me. Pulling out the books of ingredients etc. I could go on and on about it. They were so helpful in every way. That filter is great. I bought the new eye liner brush it is angled - $19 with tax. I told Wendy I would buy more Wed. I have another appointment then with one of the top make-up artists then. My friend from out of town loved it also. We've been staying up late everynight catching up and you couldn't tell it when they got through with us. The book is called "A consumers dictionary of cosmetic ingredients" by Ruth Winter. Yawl probably have it but I am new to finding out of this. I rely on everybody here so much! My friend was going to make us tuna for our outing today and I said. WHAT KIND IS IT? I HAVE TO CHECK! I think she's wondering now after 3 days of eating gluten free if she has it (she had the dreaded D). It will be interesting to see what this new guy suggests. I, too, have always loved all this glamor stuff with modeling, etc. Now I just want to look like Grace Kelly and figure out a way to get rid of this puffiness under my eyes. Looking forward to your next post. LindaLee p.s. the tuna was bumble bee.

LindaLee--I received the Lip Venom a few days ago. I do like it--it's a nice, clear gloss--my lips didn't look fuller but they did look like I gave them a drink of water :D --a bit plumper. It did not sting as much as I was expecting--just a slight tingle for the first few minutes. Oh--the Smashbox/mixing on the nails thing--that wasn't me. :) But I would love to see the Smashbox gluten-free list if someone could post it!

Hi Jersey angel, I got an email from Smashbox - NO gluten, wheat or oats in any of their products so I spent this afternoon there. I'm going back and get the filter, eyeliner, gloss, and other products then.

-

Moongirl Community Regular

I just have to make this comment, im not a fan of lipsticks, but i love lipgloss...i just found one that is incredible......Neutrogena Moisture Shine Lip Soother, and its SPF20!! This stuff is great! More importantly its gluten-free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

mart Contributor

Tears! :( I was all excited and headed to my local Sephora store - tried out the Bare Essentials foundation only to be met with disappointment. No matter how much I put on, I looked the same - freckles peeking throughout. The sales lady agreed too! She said Bare Essentials is just a product that either works for you or not. <_< Where to go now? My skin does better with theClinique, Estee Lauder, Lancome major brands than with the Max Factor, Revlons, Loreals and even Neutrogena. As for Avon and Mary Kay, don't even go there! I'd just be one big, walking pimple. I can't understand any of the dept. store brands' ingredients, though, and the sales counter ladies are totally worthless.

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Tears! :( I was all excited and headed to my local Sephora store - tried out the Bare Essentials foundation only to be met with disappointment. No matter how much I put on, I looked the same - freckles peeking throughout. The sales lady agreed too! She said Bare Essentials is just a product that either works for you or not. <_< Where to go now? My skin does better with theClinique, Estee Lauder, Lancome major brands than with the Max Factor, Revlons, Loreals and even Neutrogena. As for Avon and Mary Kay, don't even go there! I'd just be one big, walking pimple. I can't understand any of the dept. store brands' ingredients, though, and the sales counter ladies are totally worthless.

what's wrong with freckles? I always wanted some. :( maybe you can give me yours :P

penguin Community Regular
what's wrong with freckles? I always wanted some. :( maybe you can give me yours :P

I agree, nothing wrong with freckles!! I have lots across my nose and DH gets upset that I cover them up with makeup :rolleyes:

Did they apply it with the kabuki brush? That gives you a lot more coverage with the bare minerals!

dionnek Enthusiast

I use Clinique skin care and lipsticks - go to clinique's website and contact customer service (I did it via email) with the products you have questions for and they will get back to you in a few days (mine was the next day) as to whether they have gluten in them. They will need the exact name of the product though - can't just say "lipstick" like I first did :)

tasha Apprentice

I believe that someone mentioned Infusium hair products and I just wanted to add that I contacted the company by phone a few months ago to discover that they cannot guarantee their products are gluten-free. It could be hidden under 'fragrance'.

gluten-free products I use:

Dove Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash

Lancome Juicy Tubes, Star Gloss, black eyeliner, Definicils mascara

Chapstick

Tom's of Maine deodorant

dionnek Enthusiast

Just wanted to share what I received from Clinique on the lipstick/lip liner question I had - guess I'll be getting some new lipsticks!

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in

Clinique.

With regard to your question see below the requested information regarding

gluten in our lipsticks.

Once again, thank you for contacting us and for the opportunity to address

your concern.

Sincerely,

Leigh Wyshosky

Global Consumer Communications

Gluten:

Moisture Surge Lipstick - wheat bran

Long Last Soft Shine Lipstick - contains triticum vulgare (wheat bran)

extract

No Gluten:

Different Lipstick

Colour Surge lipstick

Cream Shaper For Lips

-

eleep Enthusiast

I happen to think that freckles are gorgeous, but I can understand if you're unhappy with them. You might try makeup from Laura Mercier -- the whole line is gluten-free and known for the "perfect skin" look. I only use the undereye concealer (don't wear any other base or coverage makeup), but I do love it.

aj-slc Newbie

Hi this is my first time posting, but I wanted to share some helpful information regarding skin care/beauty produtcs.

I recently read an article about skin care in Experience magazine. There are tons of ingredients in make-up, shampoo, skin care, etc that are bad for you. The writer made an interesting statement. If the product has ingredients you would not eat, you should not put it on your skin. Your skin absorbs the ingredients. Think about it.....they are making drugs into skin patches now...birth control is one of them. One of the products use to use: Similasan Healthy Relief Eye Drops.....contains Mercury. Several Baby/Kids shampoos contain Lead Acetate. If a coloring is banned from use in food, should it be banned from all beauty products?

I found this web-site: Open Original Shared Link

It has tons of products and ranks them based on their ingredients. Of course it does not take gluten into or other allergies into consideration in the ranking. But web-site lists ALL the ingredients and the health concerns for each ingredient. Unfortunatly, all products are not listed....they have just over 1000 so far.

About the site

Skin Deep is a personal care product safety guide with in-depth information on 14,406 products - 1,004 brands of lotion, lip balm, deodorant, sunscreen and other popular products - and the 6,961 ingredients that form them. With its core of 37 toxicity and regulatory databases, Skin Deep provides safety ratings and brand-by-brand comparisons that can help consumers choose safer products.

Are our products harming our health? To learn about the safety of ingredients in personal care products, the Environmental Working Group compiled an electronic database of ingredient labels for 14,100 name-brand products and cross-linked it with 37 toxicity or regulatory databases. Here's what we found:

More than one-third of all personal care products contains at least one ingredient linked to cancer.

57 percent of all products contain "penetration enhancer" chemicals that can drive other ingredients faster and deeper into the skin to the blood vessels below.

79 percent of all products contain ingredients that may contain harmful impurities like known human carcinogens, according to FDA or industry reviews. Impurities are legal and unrestricted for the personal care product industry.

At Environmental Working Group we consider these results cause for concern, not alarm. Much study remains to be done on exposure levels and health risks. But what we do know shows that such study — and direct consumer action to avoid known toxic ingredients — is absolutely essential.

Cosmetic ingredients do not sit tight of the surface of the skin — they are designed to penetrate, and they do. Scientists have found many common cosmetic ingredient in human tissues, including industrial plasticizers called phthalates in urine, preservatives called parabens in breast tumor tissue, and persistent fragrance components like musk xylene in human fat. Do the levels at which they are found pose risks? For the most part, those studies have not been done. But a recent study showing feminization of human male babies in the U.S. linked to a common fragrance component (diethyl phthalate) joins a small but growing number of studies that serve as scientific red flags when it comes to the safety of ingredients in personal care products.

I hope this web-site is helpful. I'm glad I found it.

-

Archived