This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Should Kids Give Up Gluten Cold Turkey?

prinsessa

prinsessa Contributor

I am wondering if I should just get rid of all the gluten-containing food in our house or should I wean the kids from gluten slowly. I have heard that some people can have "withdrawl" from gluten if they give it up too fast. What have other people done? I don't plan on buying anymore gluten food, but should I throw or give away all the gluten food I have? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I would do it cold turkey. Any gluten is damaging the body, and you want the body to heal as soon as it can so no more damage is done. There is some withdrawal, but I don't think weaning off it is the answer, just be ready for a few days of discomfort. I wasn't eating that much gluten anymore and I still had the withdrawal symptoms. You won't feel right giving your child something you know is damaging them anyway!

If your kids are really young, maybe rent some new movies and buy some gluten-free snacks, that way they'll lay around and rest and be distracted at the same time.

VydorScope Proficient

As a father with a 3yr old that has celiac disease.... Absloutly with out question, cold turkey!

I think it would be benifical for you to change your mindset, and start thinknig of gluten as a deadly posion. Then you will see that cold turkey is the only optoin.

Ursa Major Collaborator

The problem with gluten is, that a little will damage the body as much as a lot. So, if they'll have withdrawal symptoms, they'd still have them when you run out of that last bit of gluteny food you have. Meaning, you might as well just quit cold turkey and get it over with. Carla has given you good advice on distracting them. Of course, either way, they may turn into little monsters for a few days, be prepared for that. You just have to go through it, knowing it will be worth it. Plus, you know it's temporary, so that's a comfort.

On the other hand, not everybody gets awful withdrawal symptoms, so you may be pleasantly surprised.

prinsessa Contributor

Thanks everyone! That's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. I gave up gluten cold turkey and didn't have any withdrawl symptoms. I hope the kids are the same way. I am going to clear out the cabinets when DS takes his nap. If he sees me getting rid of anything he might get upset or might want to eat it.

VydorScope Proficient
Thanks everyone! That's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. I gave up gluten cold turkey and didn't have any withdrawl symptoms. I hope the kids are the same way. I am going to clear out the cabinets when DS takes his nap. If he sees me getting rid of anything he might get upset or might want to eat it.

When I was testing to see if I had it too, I gave up gluten cold turkery and had no withdrawl. (infact am 99% gluten-free still) My son was so sick from celiac disease (near death) that any withdrawl he might have had would have been completely masked by his recovery so can not say for sure either way about him.

jenvan Collaborator
I am wondering if I should just get rid of all the gluten-containing food in our house or should I wean the kids from gluten slowly. I have heard that some people can have "withdrawl" from gluten if they give it up too fast. What have other people done? I don't plan on buying anymore gluten food, but should I throw or give away all the gluten food I have? Thanks

Absolutely stop cold turkey. Why prolong any damage or harm to them? Kids are resilient and you'll be able to come up with some good gluten-free alternatives for them pretty quickly.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Yep, I agree with the others, COLD TURKEY is the only way to do it!!

happygirl Collaborator

Luckily, there are so many great alternatives and mainstream products that are gluten free, that although it will be tough, if you are mindful of keeping gluten-free treats on hand at all times, it will make your life, and theirs, a lot easier!

Good luck--I know its not easy!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Ty went cold turkey.

Eeyorific Rookie

I agree with previous posts... cold turkey is the only way.

Kristie

Guest nini

would you wean off of arsenic slowly if you found out it was in your diet? NOPE... you would go cold turkey, same with gluten, to a celiac or a gluten intolerant person, gluten is the same as poison to our bodies... when you get the mindset that gluten = poison, you will never be tempted to cheat or give your kids something they shouldn't have. so, to answer more specifically, cold turkey is the only way to go.

kbtoyssni Contributor

Cold Turkey!!!

I gave away all my gluten-food to the food pantry and the opened stuff to friends. Although I did feel a bit guilty giving them all my gluten-poison food :)

shayesmom Rookie

Yep! Cold gluten-free turkey over here too! :lol:

We did not experience any gluten-free withdrawal symptoms here....unless you call a craving for crunchy foods a withdrawal symptoms. Fortunately, we were able to find some gluten-free crackers and crunchy cereals to combat this. DD improved so much the very first day on diet that we were far to ecstatic to really notice. But it did take a while to re-learn how to cook and to find our new *staple* products.

Nancym Enthusiast

Ok, seeing the words Cold Turkey over and over is setting off a major turkey craving!

Ummmm... turkey!

lovegrov Collaborator

I'd say most people never have "withdrawal." I certainly didn't.

richard

prinsessa Contributor

Well....I got rid of all the gluten containing food in my house. We went out and bought some gluten free treats for the kids so they don't feel like they are missing out. It is harder for DD because she is 8 and understands that she will have to give up some things. She is already upset because she will have to bring sack lunch everyday (I would never trust the kitchen at her school to make gluten free food even if they would try). I am going to have to come up with some really exciting lunches for her so she doesn't feel too bad. I already told her no sharing lunches. I'm just glad that cheetos are gluten free because she loves them.

Bryan's Mom Newbie
Yep, I agree with the others, COLD TURKEY is the only way to do it!!

You have a 5 year old with the exact same allergies as my now 6 year old. Maybe you have some good recipes/hints for me. Allergies to wheat, peanuts, milk and egg whites.

Nancy

Archived