This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

mamatide

mamatide Enthusiast

:D You all absolutely have to try this bread. I cannot speak highly enough about its texture, taste, and ease of making it. It has that soft texture that is so familiar. Not crumbly at all!

We served it to our guests over Christmas and we all loved it. It's better fresh than after a couple of days but you don't have to toast it, you don't have to freeze it. It's simply delicious.

So thank you Laurie for this wonderful recipe. I really hope more people will try it and love it as much as we do!

Open Original Shared Link

I added my review to glutenfreegirl's.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseygrl Explorer

Great! I can't wait to bake it for my 6yo celiac daughter. Thanks!

AndreaB Contributor

Sounds good. I'll have to try it. :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Oh my gosh, this sounds easy enough for even ME. :)

Two questions.....what is garfava flour - - I assume I can get it at my health store? and also, what type of vinegar did you use?

I can't wait to try this!

AndreaB Contributor
Two questions.....what is garfava flour - - I assume I can get it at my health store? and also, what type of vinegar did you use?

Garfava is a combo of garbanzo and fava beans. I just have garbanzo so will be trying it with that. On second though maybe I'd better mix it with something so it won't be too beany. I'll have to think on that.

I'm assuming the vinegar is white vinegar.

mamatide Enthusiast
Oh my gosh, this sounds easy enough for even ME. :)

I can't wait to try this!

I didn't use garfava flour. I used brown rice (superfine) and sorghum and it was wonderful. I did use the flax seed (DH is trying to lower his cholesterol and it was recommended as a supplement so this was a happy coincidence).

I usually use cider vinegar so I probably used it this time. I'm sure white is fine too.

Also, the milk can be somewhat warm - I asked Laurie before I made it the first time - but room temp is fine. If it's too warm it cooks the eggs!

Good luck. I hope it turns out as well for you as it did for us.

skinnyminny Enthusiast

Has anyone tried this recipe in the bread machiene? It looks like it would work?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rbh Apprentice

I was inspired to try this bread tonight after reading the posts. It is wonderful! I used 1 cup superfine brown flour, and 1/2 cup sourgum (no garafava). I don't know what it will be like tomorrow, but the taste and texture still slightly warm from the oven is fabulous. My teenage son, who does not have celiac and eats gluten outside the home, said it was better than regular bread, which I take as a true compliment. Thanks so much for the recipe!

lorka150 Collaborator

You're welcome!!!!! This makes me SO HAPPY!

Juliebove Rising Star

Thanks! Now I can use that Garfava flour that I bought and didn't know what to do with. I just hope it comes out well without the eggs and milk. I usually sub in flax meal for eggs but since it already contains flax that might be overkill. Will try it with the Ener-G egg replacer.

mamatide Enthusiast
You're welcome!!!!! This makes me SO HAPPY!

Thank YOU! You really deserve the recognition!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ps - for anyone who might make the same mistake I did, the first ingredient "gluten free flour" should not include any xantham gum (if you use some prefab gluten-free flour like I did)- the batter gets really thick and the bread is dense! Just stick to your favourite flour blend!

jaten Enthusiast

Y'all have inspired me to try this bread. I am not a "baker" and have always relied on Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free bread mix.

1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour

1/4 cup garfava flour

1/2 cup potato starch

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup flax seed meal

Of the above flours/starches, how was the 1 c rice flour and 1/2 c sorghum flour substituted? Please post exactly what you used. Thank you!

mamatide Enthusiast
Y'all have inspired me to try this bread. I am not a "baker" and have always relied on Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free bread mix.

1/4 cup garfava flour

1/2 cup potato starch

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup flax seed meal

Of the above flours/starches, how was the 1 c rice flour and 1/2 c sorghum flour substituted? Please post exactly what you used. Thank you!

For the 1 1/4 c gluten free flour I used:

-----------------------------------------------------

1/2 cup superfine brown rice flour

1/4 cup tapioca flour

1/2 cup sorghum flour

For the 1/4 cup garfava flour I used:

-----------------------------------------

1/4 cup sorghum flour

(I have never used garfava flour before so had none but have a LOT of sorghum!)

(for cornstarch, potato starch and flax seed I did not substitute)

rbh Apprentice

1/4 cup garfava flour

1/2 cup potato starch

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup flax seed meal

Instead of 1 1/4 bups gluten-free flour and 1/4 garfava flour, I used 1 cup super fine brown flour (Authentic Foods) and 1/2 cup sorghum. Potato starch, cornstarch and flax seed meal was unchanged. I also had the eggs at room temperarture, and used milk heated for 30 seconds in the microwave.

skinnyminny Enthusiast

This sounds delicous.. do you think it will work in the bread machiene sorry I asked this alreday I wasnt gonna try if its an oven only deal? I just love my machine

lorka150 Collaborator

I've made it in the machine, too. Just use your machine however you normally do the gluten-free breads. I know they're all different, and I always yank out the kneader for the second time around. Good luck!

jerseygrl Explorer

Okay, got mine rising as I write! Combined exactly as orig. recipe. I am going to bake one version in the oven

and next time I am going to try it in MY new Zojirushi X20, using the gluten-free setting.

*anticipating with glee* *hope dd loves it*

chrissy Collaborator

i've got this bread rising in the oven also----can't wait to try it!!

Katydid Apprentice

:rolleyes: OK all you bread makers out there- I made this bread last night and it turned out really great. I've been cooking gluten free for my husbnd for 18 years and still have my share of flops when it comes to bread; mostly because I still insist on trying to improve it. But after last night, I'm ready to quit experimenting because this is about as good as it gets.

I used warm milk for the liquid; and like one of the other members, I didn't have garfava (or at least I couldn't find it) so I also substituted it with 1/4 c sorghum flour. For the gluten-free flour blend I used the gluten-free gourmet blend of rice, tapioca, potato starch.

I used a 9 x 5 pan, but mine rose full height in about 45 minutes (vs the 80 minutes mentioned in the recipe) This may have been because I always use the 'quick rise yeast' for all my baking or maybe it was the warm milk. I also use my oven for rising by preheating to 200 and then turning it off.

Baked it 40 minutes at 350, but tented with foil after 10 minutes because I like a lighter, softer crust. By the way, I read somewhere that using milk instead of water when making bread makes for a softer crust -and its true.

The end result was a perfect loaf....no sags, no concaves, cooked consisently completely through, nice tender crust, not too hard or tough. The texture reminded me a lot of the regular whole wheat bread you buy, but with a homemade taste. It was soft and springy. It was the perfect accompanyment to a big kettle of homemade potato soup.

I hope you all have a chance to try this recipe. I'm sold enough that I am going to mix up several individual bags of just the dry ingredients (except yeast) so all I have to do is add the the wet, mix and bake.

Regards,

Kay

lorka150 Collaborator

Thank you!

jerseygrl Explorer

Okay, the flavor of the bread is great. But I goofed. The loaf is all mis-shapened on the top *sigh*, which is why I got a bread machine, heh heh.

But tell me.....it seems like whether out of the oven, or in a bread machine, the gluten-free breads I bake are always a little gummy. Am I not

baking it long enough? I go by the recipe, but this seems to happen. Thanks for any suggestions, or is this just a characteristic of gluten-free

bread that we will have to live with?

lorka150 Collaborator

Was this gummy too? There are two breads I always bake, this being one, and neither are ever gummy... The only time I had a gummy bread was when I made pumpkin bread once because I had a lot of pumpkin left over and I threw it all in.. Haha. But to avoid this, cover the top with foil, and lower the temperature, about 10 minutes before it 'should' be done, then bake it for about 20 more instead.

skinnyminny Enthusiast

Sorry so many questions do you find the water or milk working better??

mamaw Community Regular

When I use a bread machine I alway brush down the side of the pan while it is mixing so all the flour gets mixed-in. Then when it is down with the rising process I alway smooth out the top so it bakes evenly. You will get an uneven top if you don't.

hope this helps

mamaw

jerseygrl Explorer
When I use a bread machine I alway brush down the side of the pan while it is mixing so all the flour gets mixed-in. Then when it is down with the rising process I alway smooth out the top so it bakes evenly. You will get an uneven top if you don't.

hope this helps

mamaw

I tried this recipe in my Zoj-X20 and it came out wonderful! I also do everything mama does for a smooth look.

I really like the texture to this bread. Here are the settings I use on my machine:

Warm: 10 minutes

Knead: 18 minutes

Rise 1: off

Rise 2: off

Rise 3: 55 minutes

Bake: 55 minutes

The texture was the best I've seen. This will really hold up well to the PBJ treatment. No crumbling! :D

Archived