This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Items/meal Ideas You Can Find At Any Grocery Store/target, Etc.

foodmakesmesick

foodmakesmesick Rookie

I made a quick trip to Target last night, and one of my biggest frustrations since starting the gluten-free diet is that everything has to be super planned out meal-wise. I couldn't just pick up a few food items there like I used to. I know there are plenty of "regular" grocery store products out there that are gluten-free, but I would love to hear what some of your favorites are. I want to have some of these ideas in my back pocket for when I don't have time to make a special gluten-free grocery trip, or am traveling, etc. For instance, Rice Chex cereal, Soy Joy bars, Manwich Sloppy Joe mix (great with gluten free crackers and cut up cheese!). It's only been a month and I feel like I'm already starting to eat the same things over and over again.

Thanks!

Ps- I know most "perimiter" foods are gluten-free, but I'm looking for some other ideas beyond fruits and veggies:) Especially those that I can stock up in the pantry!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Thai Kitchen makes some noodle bowls (add water, heat) that are gluten-free.

missy'smom Collaborator

Our local Target has Hebrew National Franks and Hormel chili. Heat and eat. Their Turkey chili might not be gluten-free though.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Try Open Original Shared Link.

curlyfries Contributor

I always keep a supply of hard tostada shells on hand. I use them to make pizzas. I also like to mash up canned pinto beans, put it on a tostada, add cheese and microwave, then add sour cream.

HiDee Rookie
Thai Kitchen makes some noodle bowls (add water, heat) that are gluten-free.

Ditto on Thai Kitchen, they also have a box of Pad Thai that has the noodles and sauce that you add meat and veggies to. It's pretty good and labeled gluten free, serves about 3, it's on the aisle with the ethnic and asian food. I buy frozen Delimex brand chicken or beef taquitos (make sure you get the ones made with corn tortillas because they have several varieties with flour tortillas as well) and keep them in the freezer for whenever. Progresso has several gluten-free soups that I buy (lentil, clam chowder, chicken and rice, creamy mushroom, split pea). We love tortilla chips (mission brand is our favorite, their corn tortillas are also good and gluten free) and salsa (Herdez is the best if you can find it). We keep sliced ham in the fridge for a quick ham and cheese quesadilla. Rice cakes with peanut butter are a good snack, lays stax, dried fruit, Yoplait yogurts are labeled gluten free.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

jerseyangel Proficient

Mission Corn Tortilla Chips and regular Corn Tortillas. Delicious!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jsb727 Newbie

Something quick and easy I like is just some chili w/ cheese on it. Or you can make a bigger meal out of it by baking some potatoes and then put chili, cheese, and sour cream on top. It's really good. I came up with it as an alternative to store-bought shredded BBQ beef that I used to always have... but it's got plenty of gluten in it. Hormel Chili with Beans (Regular, Chunky, or Hot) is gluten free. I think there's another brand too, but I forget the name.

Or buy some Mission corn tortillas, and you can make some quick meals w/ that, too. Yesterday I warmed up a pot of black beans (added a little McCormick's taco seasoning to them), and had tortillas w/ beans and cheese. I also found a fantastic recipe for "Cottage cheese chicken enchiladas" on allrecipes.com that I LOVE. You don't even have to make any alterations to it. I usually make it in two smaller pans and stick one in the freezer for later. Rosarita's enchilada sauce is gluten-free (I contacted them to double-check). And the LaVictoria green chiles are gluten-free, too (says so on the can).

I also have a couple of Amy's brand frozen meals on hand for a super quick and easy meal. Their gluten-free pizza is alright. And I've had Amy's vegetarian teriyaki bowl (even though I'm not vegetarian). I was really craving teriyaki. :)

Ian's brand (which I've seen at Fred Meyer) has some frozen chicken nuggets. I didn't really care for them when I first went gluten-free, but now I actually like them. I think I'm used to no gluten now. Fred Meyer also sells some gluten-free french fries.

Have you made the old Rice Krispies recipe with Rice Chex yet? SO GOOD. Add some Reeses pieces to the recipe just before you spread it in the pan... it's awesome. :D

Green Eyes Rookie

For really fast on the go meals I will do the Lean Cuziene Glazed Chicken or the Weight Watchers Sante Fe Beans and Rice. Both are gluten free.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

I always keep chicken breasts in the freezer and when I know we will have a crazy day and won't have much time to cook dinner I throw the chicken breasts into the crockpot with 1/2 bottle of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. By the time we come home dinner is ready! Cheeseburgers are quick and easy (we eat them bunless). I make "mommy helper". It's Tinkyada elbow macaroni, Ragu double cheddar sauce, and a lb of ground beef. As quick as Hamburger Helper only gluten free. Walmart's Great Value brand will say gluten-free on the package if it is. That has helped make my grocery trips a lot faster.

soccermom Newbie

Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce is gluten-free? I love this stuff. I bought some BBQ sauce that was labeled gluten-free and it was terrible. I've been eating everything plain.

This is a great thread. It has been about 6 months since I have been diagnosed, and have stayed away from everything that I wasn't sure about. I am really busy and don't have a lot of time to shop or cook. This thread will be a great help. Keep the information coming.

jerseyangel Proficient
Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce is gluten-free?

Sure is!! It's my favorite :D

tarnalberry Community Regular

if I need something fast and easy, I usually still stick to "perimeter" stuff - canned beans/tomatoes, buy ground meat - boom, chili for dinner. apples and peanut butter - boom, snack or breakfast. eggs and rice cakes - boom, breakfast. carrots and hummus - snack/lunch/dinner/whatever. ;) I usually have leftovers for lunch...

sharps45 Apprentice

Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Berry Kix, Trix, Western Family Cocoa Moos, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (use your own gluten-free noodles), Kirkland brand canned Roast Beef ( I like this shredded in a taco shell), Harvest Creek canned turkey breast (sandwiches, salads), most of the Prego, Bertoli, and Ragu sauces (I like to pour Bertoli alfredo sauce over gluten-free noodles with Tyson chicken strips for chicken alfredo), Jello 60 calorie puddings, Jello jellos, Old El Paso taco mix (watch out for the ace brand-wheat flour).

Just go down to the store, look at what you'd like to eat, check the label, and make it work! It can make for some long trips to the store, at first, but it really quickens the meal prep and rounds out a more interesting diet.

Juliet Newbie

Don't forget cheese quesadillas with corn tortillas.

I sometimes quickly saute veggies (thinly sliced - and I start with bagged chopped veggies to start with to speed up the time), maybe a little sliced chicken (if I want to take the time) with McCormick brand chicken fajitas spice mix, place it between two corn tortillas along with some shredded cheese (Kraft has gluten free shredded cheese) & a light layer Rosarita refried beans, then lightly fry it in a pan until the cheese & beans are warmed up. The tortillas are slightly crispy and the flavors are just yummy. Corn tortillas are a great "bread" replacer when you don't have time for anything else.

Also, doing roll-ups are great. Take sliced gluten free sandwich meat (every grocery store has some, normally the "all natural" kinds are safe), sliced cheese (Kraft & Tillamook both have safe sliced cheese, at least last I checked), and/or veggies of your choice (tomato, onion, heck, even carrots can be good), then roll it up in a lettuce leaf. Sometimes I've done it without the lettuce even.

If I got a some time to cook, but I don't want to actually be in the kitchen for that long, I also make chicken, vegetable, & wild rice soup. Chop up the veggies, pour in some gluten free broth or water with Better Than Bouillon chicken and or vegetable flavor, extra spices, boneless/skinless chicken breast, and wild rice. When the chicken is fully cooked (about 15-20 minutes most of the time is when I check), I pull it out, cut it up, and stick it back in. Another half an hour or so, the wild rice is fully cooked and the soup is ready. All in all, prep time is about 15 minutes, cook time close to an hour.

IMWalt Contributor

This is one of my new favorites. You can get coconut milk at most stores, and for the sweet rice most stores carry arborio rice. You just want a short-grain, high-starch rice. I made this last night, atea bunch, and just had a big bowl at work. My son at it up as well. It's very easy to make.

Open Original Shared Link

Walt

RissaRoo Enthusiast

Berry Kix? Really? Yea! Cruel shoes...great list, thanks!

Hormel Chili (WITH beans) and Mission tortilla chips with cheese on top

corn tortillas (Mission) with cheese, green onion, Daisy sour cream and Pace Salsa

Rice cakes with peanut butter and jelly

corn tortilla with refried beans (check to see if they're gluten-free...many are) and grated cheese, baked until crisp

Ore Ida fries with Hormel Chili and cheese

Velveeta cheese, baked potato, hormel bacon bits, frozen broccoli and/or chili

corn cakes made into a grilled cheese sandwich, Amy's brand tomato bisque soup (yum)

ang1e0251 Contributor

For cold weather, Slice potatoes or use Ore Ida frozen. Layer potatoes, minced onion ( dehydrated is OK), sprinkle a little corn starch & pepper in a microwave or oven safe dish. Add chicken broth to cover & microwave, covered until potatoes are cooked. You can bake also if you have the time. For micro, I go at 10- minute cook times till I'm satisfied. Serve with your favorite meat and there's dinner. This is big time comfort food.

I usually keep boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. It's very quick to microwave for 1-1 1/2 minutes then cube with large knife while still partially frozen. This will cut easily. Fry in 1/2 olive, 1/2 butter with your favorite seasoning; salt and pepper, seasoned salt, Soul Food Seasoning from Dollar General. M-m-m-m-m...

Don't forget pizzas on corn tortillas; quesadillas, two corn tortillas fryed in butter w/cheese & maybe meat melted in the middle, & the classic breakfast for dinner!

foodmakesmesick Rookie

Thank you! These are some great tips:)

Any thoughts on replacement flour for baking? Is there a good mix that can be used cup for cup?

Archived