19 replies to this topic

#16 jayjay57

jayjay57

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:32 AM

That is so sad that people we trust in the medical world are still so "uneducated" when it comes to celiac and gluten sensitvities in general. My own personal story (of course with all the other gluten related effects on my body) also includes years of being overweight. Not obese just weighing more than I should have. I would contribute my stomach issues to the need to eat and would never feel full even afer just a short time of eating a large meal, hence the weight gain. After going gluten free I began to eat to live not live to eat and I feel better than I have in years and years but I am looking better also. I think it is important to focus on the great support we get from groups like this one.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 rgarton

rgarton

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:04 AM

Man your doctor sounds like the doctor who said my mum couldn't be coeliac because she was 1 pound overweight!(YES only 1 pound) and because she ate oats in the morning (uncontaminated ones), i had just been diagnosed with coeliac disease then, she has now got a positive diagnosis. So i phoned up that doctor and let her know my thoughts, now im giving a speech to young med students about coeliac disease and will make the point that you dont have to be underweight to be a coeliac! I'l keep you in mind :)
Lifes not waiting for the storm to pass, its learning to dance in the rain...

#18 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:28 AM

what a jerk! Send him this article: http://spider.ipac.c...ght_celiacs.pdf

An excerpt from the article:

RESULTS: Mean BMI was 24.6 kg/m2 (range 16.343.5). Seventeen patients (5%) were underweight (BMI
<18.5), 211 (57%) were normal, and 143 (39%) were overweight (BMI ≥25), including 48 (13% of
all patients) in the obese range (BMI ≥30.0). There was a significant association between low BMI
and female gender, history of diarrhea, reduced hemoglobin concentration, reduced bone mineral
density (BMD), osteoporosis, and higher grades (subtotal/total) of villous atrophy. Of patients
compliant with a gluten-free diet, 81% had gained weight after 2 yr, including 82% of initially
overweight patients.

CONCLUSIONS: Few celiac patients are underweight at diagnosis and a large minority is overweight; these are less
likely to present with classical features of diarrhea and reduced hemoglobin. Failed or delayed
diagnosis of celiac disease may reflect lack of awareness of this large subgroup. The increase in
weight of already overweight patients after dietary gluten exclusion is a potential cause of
morbidity, and the gluten-free diet as conventionally prescribed needs to be modified accordingly.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#19 Katah

Katah

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

I also was considered too "overweight" to have gluten problems. I have struggled with weight issues, but that doesn't mean that you have to be thin. That's just ONE symptom. It can also cause some gain, because it's such an inconsistent diet. When I went off gluten I dropped four pant sizes, but my weight hasn't dropped by much. I feel much better, and now I have much more muscle strength. Body aches are a problem, so are headaches, and a "fogginess". I have experienced a lot of weird symptoms from gluten. It's not just bowel problems. Trust me, you're not wrong, you're not "obese", it's not all in your head. Go off gluten, once your testing is done, or even if you decide not to get a endoscopy or colonoscopy. If your blood test came back positive, you may want to try a week or 2 gluten free. There are a lot of misconceptions about celiac disease, but those shouldn't hold you back. You are in control of what you eat, and how you treat your body, not the doctor. Worry about your health first, before anything. It's what matters. Try baking. I am also 16, and I have found that making my own foods is a way to control what I put in my body, and to make sure that I love what I am eating. I learned to love salad, love lentils, love all of those glorious things. Try making wraps on romaine lettuce leaves or boston lettuce. They're great for school lunches. Some soup companies are okay. Campbell's soup (in Canada), has gluten free chicken rice soup. It even has a stamp on the label. I love putting that in a thermos for lunch. Find out how YOU love to personalize your food. Embrace it and it won't seem so hard.

#20 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

oh hun :( that had to suck. I hate people like that (and would seriously consider filling a complaint).

Before my diagnosis i was at 180lbs (eeek) and it was when i suddenly dropped 20 that a new doctor who examined me (went about 7 times at this point, was getting kinda po'd at doctors misdiagnosing me, and such), was very concerned about that drop and the fact that i nearly flew off my examination table when she checked out my stomach. It was only through her that i had even heard of Celiac in the first place, and at that time she considered it to be a long shot, but wanted to rule it out for 'just because' reasons. But, i'm glad she did. It was my diagnosis and i have been put on a path to fix the problem, as it were.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: