This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got Any Funnys From Friends/family Trying To Understand?

Chad Sines

Googles Community Regular

My boss I work for nannying is really understanding and awesome. She always tells me to eat anything that I can when I am working at her house. One day a friend of hers came over with cake. She felt bad that I couldn't have any. I told her not to worry that I was fine. Then she asked if I could have brownies. She was then like "wait, those will have wheat in them wont they?" She is wonderful and still learning and she is very understanding. She asked me if there was anything that I would like that they could get for me while I am working for them as I can't eat most of their food. I asked for orange juice as it is something I can't afford on my budget and was just able to start eating acidic foods again when I started working for them. They now get me orange juice to drink when I am there. Yum.

I've had other families I've worked for nannying that are disappointed when I have to tell them they can't feed me when I work for them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
beebs Enthusiast

My son asks if things are "Glueden free" and then if I say no he'll say "yuucckk, I don't like it then" I wish I knew this trick back when he used to have tantrums in the sweets isle! :D

Skylark Collaborator

My son asks if things are "Glueden free" and then if I say no he'll say "yuucckk, I don't like it then" I wish I knew this trick back when he used to have tantrums in the sweets isle! :D

My brother did that with brown rice or whole wheat when he was a child. Mom learned to sneak in half brown rice or whole wheat and lie about it. If he didn't know, he wouldn't complain about the taste. :lol:

anabananakins Explorer

When my daughter was first diagnosed, a good friend of mine was educating herself of the ramifications of what gluten free meant and the changes it would mean in our lifestyle. She called one night with some great news . . .

My Good Friend: "Guess what?? They make gluten free beer!!! Skeeter can drink gluten free beer!!!"

Me: "Well thanks for the research, but no she can't. She's six."

I do love her . . . she is all about making sure she's got safe things to eat at her house for my daughter, never assumes and never afraid to ask questions, not afraid to have my daughter at her house, and always ready to try my baking and give an honest opinion.

BWAHAHAHA! I love it. Made me laugh out loud.

IHOP is scary. They even put pancake batter in the omelets. :blink:

Before I went gluten free, I never saw an IHOP (I don't live in the US). But it sounded like an awesome place. A house of pancakes!!!! (pancakes aren't really a thing here). Naturally, since I've gone gluten free I ended up with IHOP being the closest restaurant to my hotel nearly.every.single.time I visit. I've never gone in - I just glare at them and keep walking. Pancake batter in omelet is just evil.

mushroom Proficient

Yes, next to hotels is their preferred location :D

anabananakins Explorer

Yes, next to hotels is their preferred location :D

Such meanness :)

I need Chipotle to make next to hotels their preferred location.

My friends let me pick and they know that eating at Chipotle will be on the agenda. We managed three meals there in 2 days at the one in Santa Barbara :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Such meanness :)

I need Chipotle to make next to hotels their preferred location.

My friends let me pick and they know that eating at Chipotle will be on the agenda. We managed three meals there in 2 days at the one in Santa Barbara :)

Not to sidetrack this funny thread :) , but you find Chipotle to be very gluten-free friendly, then? I am taking my first gluten-free looooong road trip in March (having to bunk two nights in hotels) and am just a teensy bit apprehensive about eating out on the road. I rely on tips from everyone on here and that has kept me "safe" so far. :) Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Not to sidetrack this funny thread :) , but you find Chipotle to be very gluten-free friendly, then? I am taking my first gluten-free looooong road trip in March (having to bunk two nights in hotels) and am just a teensy bit apprehensive about eating out on the road. I rely on tips from everyone on here and that has kept me "safe" so far. :) Thanks!

I watched the one near me. I would say the cc is bad. They have wheat tortillas. Different people down the line have thier gloved hands on them & then in the toppings.

lynnelise Apprentice

I love Chipotle! I always go when we travel. Tell them you are gluten free and ask them to change gloves and you shouldn't have a problem! I've been to various locations in about 4 different states and so far no issues!

lynnelise Apprentice

After two years on this diet my mother in law still does not get it.

Once I brought hummus w/ tortilla chips and carrots to eat at a party and she found a bag of pretzels to dip in it!

Another time she told me the dessert she made was safe because it had no corn in it. I have no issues with corn.

At my sister in law's birthday dinner she said she made a pan of lasagna just for me. I cautiously asked what noodles she used and she said "the healthy brown ones" so I say "where they brown rice noodles or whole wheat"? Of course she answers whole wheat. I was so glad my husband was standing there to say "are you an idiot? Whole wheat obviously is made from wheat mom! She can't have that!". Pretty sure me calling my mother in law an idiot wouldn't have gone over so well! lol

kareng Grand Master

I love Chipotle! I always go when we travel. Tell them you are gluten free and ask them to change gloves and you shouldn't have a problem! I've been to various locations in about 4 different states and so far no issues!

How does changing the gloves protect you from the bits of wheat tortilla that are already in the cheese, lettuce, etc? I have heard this before but the flour or bits of bread or whatever are already in the toppings. New gloves, spoons, etc won't change that.

Edited: Sorry Lynnelise, that wasn't meant to sound snotty to you. Just a frustration I have with food places.

bigbird16 Apprentice

Every time I see my mom she asks me if pasta is ok. Every time she asks, I ask her what the first ingredient is. Wheat. Oh. One time she was sure that the pasta was ok because it was a special low-carb pasta with less starch and higher protein. OMG. The protein, mom, is the the bad guy! And you are a really really smart nurse. I am scared. It's kind of a ritual now, the pasta asking.

IrishHeart Veteran

It took my Mom a few times before she stopped asking what the difference between white flour and wheat flour was. Every time, she would say "scratch that, forget I said that, that was stupid" :lol:

She took it "personally" that I got the DQ2 genes from her and Dad. Now, she is gluten-free herself and is a lot more "gluten savvy". I told this story on another thread--- but it's still funny.

Last month, she tells me on the phone that she is making goulash with the Tinkyada elbows I told her to buy. I said great! ...it hits me....um, Ma, what are you using for the tomato soup? (I know she has used Campbell's Tomato soup in her recipe for 50 years...)

"Campbell's of course! why? "....Um, Ma...go get the can, hunny and read the ingredients....she puts the phone down and in a few minutes I can hear..... SH*T! SH*T! SH*T! Comes back on and says..."UGH!...why the F$#! do they have to put wheat starch in soup and ruin it !!!????" :lol:

She dumped it out, made a baked potato instead and had the leftover burger on a roll she made herself from a gluten-free flour mix I sent her from the local gluten-free bakery. Tough cookie. Learning the ropes and how to" punt" in a gluten- filled world.

When people ask "isn't it hard?", she says "NO, what the big damn deal? Just eat sensibly!!" She is VERY upset my whole family isn't gluten free and feeling as well as she does now. She has worked out at a gym 3X a week since turning 55 and retiring: cardio kickboxing, stair master and aerobics.

She is nearly 85. Go Mom. ;)

I turned 55 yesterday. I am in rehab for my severe loss of muscle mass and joint/bone pain from long unDxed celiac, but it appears there is hope for me yet, since "good genes" are in here, too :lol:

lynnelise Apprentice

How does changing the gloves protect you from the bits of wheat tortilla that are already in the cheese, lettuce, etc? I have heard this before but the flour or bits of bread or whatever are already in the toppings. New gloves, spoons, etc won't change that.

Edited: Sorry Lynnelise, that wasn't meant to sound snotty to you. Just a frustration I have with food places.

At the ones I've been to things are just dumped on the tortilla. The first person touches the tortilla when they lay it out but everyone else just dumps things onto it without physical contact if that makes sense. I'm sure it's not like that everywhere but the ones I frequent it is. I don't know. I'm pretty sensitive and out of 20 meals I've not gotten sick.

bigbird16 Apprentice

When people ask "isn't it hard?", she says "NO, what the big damn deal? Just eat sensibly!!" She is VERY upset my whole family isn't gluten free and feeling as well as she does now. She has worked out a gym 3X a week since turning 55: cardio kickboxing, stair master and aerobics.

I turned 55 yesterday. I am in rehab for my severe loss of muscle mass and joint/bone pain from long unDxed celiac, but it appears there is hope for me yet, since "good genes" are in here, too :lol:

Happy birthday, IrishHeart! Your mom sounds so awesome!

IrishHeart Veteran

Happy birthday, IrishHeart! Your mom sounds so awesome!

Thanks, sweetie! I haven't "seen" you in a while. Glad you're doing so well! :)

yes, my mom is quite a character :lol:

catsmeow Contributor

Every time I see my mom she asks me if pasta is ok. Every time she asks, I ask her what the first ingredient is. Wheat. Oh. One time she was sure that the pasta was ok because it was a special low-carb pasta with less starch and higher protein. OMG. The protein, mom, is the the bad guy! And you are a really really smart nurse. I am scared. It's kind of a ritual now, the pasta asking.

Buy her several varieties of Tinkyada pasta....LOL....tell her, THESE are the safe pastas Mom!!!

catsmeow Contributor

I just wanted to say thank you to the OP for starting this thread. I needed a good laugh this morning. I'm sitting here still covered in hives from the airborne wheat in the grocery store yesterday, they were baking up a Thanksgiving storm in the bakery,I react the worse to baking wheat. Despite that, I am drinking delicious organic coffee, and having a good laugh this morning. I like this thread, it's helping me not feel all alone...((((((hugs))))) Thank you...please keep em coming. Tell me more funny stories :P

catsmeow Contributor

It took my Mom a few times before she stopped asking what the difference between white flour and wheat flour was. Every time, she would say "scratch that, forget I said that, that was stupid" :lol:

She took it "personally" that I got the DQ2 genes from her and Dad. Now, she is gluten-free herself and is a lot more "gluten savvy". I told this story on another thread--- but it's still funny.

Last month, she tells me on the phone that she is making goulash with the Tinkyada elbows I told her to buy. I said great! ...it hits me....um, Ma, what are you using for the tomato soup? (I know she has used Campbell's Tomato soup in her recipe for 50 years...)

"Campbell's of course! why? "....Um, Ma...go get the can, hunny and read the ingredients....she puts the phone down and in a few minutes I can hear..... SH*T! SH*T! SH*T! Comes back on and says..."UGH!...why the F$#! do they have to put wheat starch in soup and ruin it !!!????" :lol:

She dumped it out, made a baked potato instead and had the leftover burger on a roll she made herself from a gluten-free flour mix I sent her from the local gluten-free bakery. Tough cookie. Learning the ropes and how to" punt" in a gluten- filled world.

When people ask "isn't it hard?", she says "NO, what the big damn deal? Just eat sensibly!!" She is VERY upset my whole family isn't gluten free and feeling as well as she does now. She has worked out at a gym 3X a week since turning 55 and retiring: cardio kickboxing, stair master and aerobics.

I like your Mama!!!! I really enjoyed reading this!! I heard it's your birthday? Happy birthday hon!

Skylark Collaborator

How about this one. I'm in a hotel restaurant and ask if there is any gluten-free food. The waiter goes to the kitchen and comes back to tell us "you can't have anything with bread or pasta." :blink: I was with family and three of us are gluten-free. We all just stared at him in shock and ordered plain salads.

IrishHeart Veteran

I just wanted to say thank you to the OP for starting this thread. I needed a good laugh this morning. I'm sitting here still covered in hives from the airborne wheat in the grocery store yesterday, they were baking up a Thanksgiving storm in the bakery,I react the worse to baking wheat. Despite that, I am drinking delicious organic coffee, and having a good laugh this morning. I like this thread, it's helping me not feel all alone...((((((hugs))))) Thank you...please keep em coming. Tell me more funny stories :P

oh, you're never alone when you come on here, hunny!! ;) ((((cyber-hug))) to you. Poor babe, I hope your hives resolve quickly. :angry: damn that airborne wheat!!! :P it makes me ditzy myself....

IrishHeart Veteran

How about this one. I'm in a hotel restaurant and ask if there is any gluten-free food. The waiter goes to the kitchen and comes back to tell us "you can't have anything with bread or pasta." :blink: I was with family and three of us are gluten-free. We all just stared at him in shock and ordered plain salads.

Oy! :blink:

IrishHeart Veteran

I like your Mama!!!! I really enjoyed reading this!! I heard it's your birthday? Happy birthday hon!

Thanks, Trish times 2!

It is the first birthday since 2006 that I am not sick and in a gluten headed daze. :) Hooray and pass the gluten-free Bday cake.... :lol:

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I've eaten there quite a bit (one location repeatedly) and they are the most knowledgable restaurant re:gluten-free I've been to. The only gluten is wheat tortillas....and so far I've had good luck.

Tell them you are gluten-free. They change gloves and get clean utensils to scoop the food. I always get a burrito bowl....

They will heat corn tortillas for you in the press, but put them in foil.

I've never seen them touch spoon (serving utensil) to the food (wheat tortilla) but am sure it happens. It's NOTHING like Subway.....there they touch bread, dip back in, repeat. Makes my skin crawl. Chipotle is "one scoop", drop.

IrishHeart Veteran

I've eaten there quite a bit (one location repeatedly) and they are the most knowledgable restaurant re:gluten-free I've been to. The only gluten is wheat tortillas....and so far I've had good luck.

Tell them you are gluten-free. They change gloves and get clean utensils to scoop the food. I always get a burrito bowl....

They will heat corn tortillas for you in the press, but put them in foil.

I've never seen them touch spoon (serving utensil) to the food (wheat tortilla) but am sure it happens. It's NOTHING like Subway.....there they touch bread, dip back in, repeat. Makes my skin crawl. Chipotle is "one scoop", drop.

Thanks. Sounds as if two of you have had good luck with Chipotle. There is one about 45 minutes from me. Maybe I'll give them a try. I'll tell them exactly what you guys said. Until now, I have only eaten out at the gluten-free bakery/cafe near me--owned by a celiac--and that's all they serve--gluten-free all the way! It's heaven!! :)

Archived