This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Finger Foods?

spryng

spryng Rookie

I want to make just appetizer type things for new years eve tonight... What are some good/easy/tasty finger foods??

I am thinking celery with cream cheese would be fine, or even jalepeno with cream cheese, but what about hot items? Any good hot dip recipes? or other tasty items? I'm also looking because I'll need these type of items for the superbowl as well so thanks in advance!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

curlyfries Contributor

I'm making potato skins. I use the really small potatoes (forget what they're called), olive oil instead of vegetable, and no paprika.

Open Original Shared Link

spryng Rookie

oh I love potato skins! I'm adding that to my list for tonight for sure :) Do you keep the pulp you scoop out and if so what do you do with it? freeze it?

curlyfries Contributor

I haven't tried freezing it, but it should be ok, right? I'm limited on how often I can eat potatoes, so it has gone to waste sometimes. <_< (Don't know why I didn't try freezing it, but you know how it is....."oh I'll use this in the next few days......" Uh huh :rolleyes: ) I have used it to make mashed potatoes, back when I could eat it more often. I'm afraid potatoes will eventually have to be eliminated, though :( . Thinking about giving it to DD to use in shepherd's pie.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

If you want something completely chemical-laden but yummy do the infamous Rotel/velveeta dip.

A block of velveeta, 2cans of Rotel. Melt it in a crock pot. Some people add browned ground beef.

Serve with corn chips or Fritos.

So bad but so good. Junk food deluxe.

spryng Rookie

I didn't know velveeta was gluten free! that is awesome! I love velveeta with rotel! sometimes we add chili to our velveeta, that is yummy too!

kareng Grand Master

We love this!

Jalapeno Popper Spread

8 oz cream cheese (can use non-fat)

4 oz can chopped green chiles

4 oz can chipotles in Adobo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I haven't tried freezing it, but it should be ok, right? I'm limited on how often I can eat potatoes, so it has gone to waste sometimes. <_< (Don't know why I didn't try freezing it, but you know how it is....."oh I'll use this in the next few days......" Uh huh :rolleyes: ) I have used it to make mashed potatoes, back when I could eat it more often. I'm afraid potatoes will eventually have to be eliminated, though :( . Thinking about giving it to DD to use in shepherd's pie.

Irish Latkes! Add some egg & maybe a small amount of all purpose gluten-free flour. Make into little patties & fry. Yum! Could then melt cheese on top. Add a little onion to the potatoes.

mamaw Community Regular

Water Chesnuts wrapped in bacon! Stuffed mushroom caps.... bisquick(gluten-free) sausage cheese balls... Spinach balls...salami, pepperoni cheese roll-ups....Brushetta on gluten-free baguette rounds

( or use baby Mum Mums sold at Wal-Mart in the baby section... we adults love these little kids crackers..

Stuffed hot peppers....baby ruebens made with gluten-free toasted bread rounds

salmon dip......hth this helps

mamaw

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Might be too late for you tonight, but we really like roasted chickpeas. Super healthy and easy. Open Original Shared Link

Also made the artichoke and spinach dip from the Spunky Coconut for Christmas, served with some gluten free crackers to dip.

spryng Rookie

thanks everyone! I'm definitely keeping these handy for superbowl too! :)

Monael Apprentice

I always serve deviled eggs, a veggie tray with ranch dressing, and guacamole and corn chips.

researchmomma Contributor

thanks everyone! I'm definitely keeping these handy for superbowl too! :)

Since you mentioned Super Bowl here is my fav and it is so easy:

2 bricks of cream cheese

1-2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 cup of salsa

Spread cream cheese on bottom of shallow bowl or serving dish (has to have a lip)

spoon salsa over cream cheese

cover with cheddar cheese

Microwave until cheese is melted.

Serve with corn tortilla chips (we like Tostitos Scoops).

Sounds dull but it isn't and I always get asked for the recipe.

spryng Rookie

so funny you mentioned that recipe researchmomma, we just made this tonight and it was sooo good! We'll definitely make it more often :)

researchmomma Contributor

so funny you mentioned that recipe researchmomma, we just made this tonight and it was sooo good! We'll definitely make it more often :)

It is good eh? I should have figured that you had that one. My friend also makes it with a can of chili on top but then you need to bake it or the beans explode in the microwave. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
ndw3363 Contributor

My favorite is crab dip - block of cream cheese, top with crab meat (the real stuff, not the fake stuff), top with cocktail sauce. Used to eat with crackers, but it's just as good with fritos or tortilla chips.

Also, I made stuffed mushrooms for Christmas - the whole family loved them! Don't have the recipe with me, but I can post later if anyone is interested.

love2travel Mentor

I love to make fricos and pipe in a mousse such as goat's cheese with chives. Fricos are simply made - just grate some Parmesan, place in a little pile in a circle and bake. It hardens and forms a round which you can then form into a little taco or cigar or whatever. Then fill with filling.

I also like to fry wontons for wonton chips and serve with interesting dips such as Green Goddess or spicy roasted carrot hummus or white bean puree with something in it for colour.

You can form small corn tortillas into a muffin tin; cook in oven until crisp. Then fill with a green pea puree and finish with a dallop of creme fraiche (easy to make) and a bit of Thai red chile on top. Looks impressive but sooooo easy. Or you can fill with a lentil mixture - I cook lentils (you can buy canned) with some herbs and finely diced red pepper.

Or simply brush corn tortillas with an infused olive oil such as garlic. Then just sprinkle on seasoning such as thyme leaves and sesame seeds and poppyseeds or whatever you want. Bake until crisp. Break into shards.

I make my own crackers and serve with homemade chutneys and goat's cheeses.

Shrimp skewers are fun. Simply marinate shell-on shrimp briefly in olive oil, minced garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme and Thai red chile. Then skewer on lemongrass and grill. A little messy to peel but fun.

How about tiny skewers of boccancini balls alternating with a basil leaf and cherry tomato? Better in summer unless you can get fresh where you live.

I love to marinate cubes of feta in olive oil, put in some sundried tomatoes, lemon zest, whole coriander seeds, whole peppercorns and a few herbs. Great served with crackers, wontons, etc.

In watermelon season I love cutting little cubes of melon and putting just a dot of aged balsamic on it. They look contemporary and are delicious.

Thai meatballs are fun on toothpicks. Serve with peanut sate (satay) sauce.

Chestnut wrapped in bacon and roasted are great, as are figs.

Simply freezing grapes in your freezer in summer makes a delicious snack. I just love them. They look beautiful on a platter, too.

1974girl Enthusiast

I made this every Super Bowl party and after the diagnosis, I realized...IT'S GLUTEN FREE!! I would even have requests for this.

Buffalo Chicken Dip (totally microwave made!)

1 can chicken

1 block cream cheese (easier if it is thawed out)

1 cup Ranch dressing

1/2 cup Buffalo Sauce divided(gluten-free usually but make sure)

2 cups mild cheddar

Directions-

Smear the whole cream cheese block in the bottom of a dish. Mix 1/4 cup of buffalo sauce with the canned chicken and put that on top of the cream cheese. Pour a cup of ranch dressing on that. Pour the remaining 1/4 cup buffalo sauce on top of the ranch. Add the cheese on top. Cook in microwave until heated and cheese is melted. Serve with Frito Scoops.

*** I have been known to make this for dinner...LOL

GFdad0110 Apprentice

I'm a big fan of nachos. Have to have my bag of tostitos. I throw some cheese on them and if I have some leftovers like chicken or ground beef. A little hot sauce ( chipolte tabasco ) and i'm good.

sora Community Regular

I love to make fricos and pipe in a mousse such as goat's cheese with chives. Fricos are simply made - just grate some Parmesan, place in a little pile in a circle and bake. It hardens and forms a round which you can then form into a little taco or cigar or whatever. Then fill with filling.

love2travel

These sound delicious.

What temp and for how long would you bake it?

love2travel Mentor

love2travel

These sound delicious.

What temp and for how long would you bake it?

Fricos are delicious! Sometimes I make them and break into shards to use in salads for a bit of savoury saltiness.

Here's what you do:

Grate Parmesan cheese and sprinkle in a circle about 2" or 3" big. Don't pile high - there should be just one or two layers of cheese as when they melt they look lacey.

Oh, yes. You can even do this on your stove. In fact, this may be easier for your first go as you can watch easier. They only take a few minutes to melt so watch it constantly. When it melts into a golden lacey puddle, simply remove with spatula and shape into a cone or cigar or leave as is to break into shards. They will be hot so you can form them over a rolling pin or even in a muffin tin to make little cups.

There are all sorts of filling ideas from goat's cheese mousse, to shrimp mousse to lentils to green pea puree - you name it, you can do it!

In the oven they literally take just a few minutes, too, so watch closely as it happens quickly. Once you've made them once the second time will be very easy. :)

sora Community Regular

Ok now I am drooling. Can't wait to try them. Thank you.

Some neighbours and I might do a roving dinner party in Feb. to break the winter blues. Those would be great. And I could show off how easy being gluten-free is. :rolleyes:

Do you use a big grate or small?

love2travel Mentor

Some neighbours and I might do a roving dinner party in Feb. to break the winter blues. Those would be great. And I could show off how easy being gluten-free is. :rolleyes:

I think they would be perfect for that. I would try making a small batch first so you get the hang of it, so you can tell how much cheese to use.

Great question - use the large grater.

Yeah - they will say, "And I heard celiac is hard. Piffle...you have it easy" or some such nonsense.

love2travel Mentor

A few more ideas (just ask if you want any of the recipes):

Spiced Jam with Heady Garlic and Gorgonzola Cheese

Wild Rice Blini

Tostada Cups with Lemony Lentils and Spinach

Potato Crostini with Caramelized Bacon

Poached Shrimp with Horseradish Beet Coulis (this one is GORGEOUS!)

Uptown Goat Cheese Potato Skins with Capers

Sweet Polenta Fries

Fiery Plantain Chips with Cocomango Dip

Parmesan Cones (fricos) with White Bean Mousse

Ground Thai Chicken Balls on Lemongrass "Skewers"

Calabrese Bites (with basil, cherry tomatoes, boccancini, sundried tomatoes, seasoning)

Hot and Smoky Stuffed Dates (with bacon, Asian chili sauce, Monterey Jack cheese, almonds)

kareng Grand Master

We make them on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet in the oven. I sort of " spike" them out a little on the edges. We call them snowflakes. Get a really good Parm. They are great with red wine!

I just use the big side of my grater like you would grate cheddar for tacos.

Some people make these with cheddar in the pan. It's like the cheese that oozes out of the grilled cheese and crisps on the pan.

Archived