6 replies to this topic

#1 Amy2838

Amy2838

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

I have seen Hormel Pepperoni lauded several times on this site and other sites as being gluten-free. It says "gluten free" right on the package, and I have contacted the company to make sure, and they stated that their pepperoni is indeed gluten-free. However, Hormel Pepperoni ALWAYS gives me a gluten-like reaction. I am very sensitive, and it makes me extremely ill. There is little doubt that I have been glutened after eating just a few bites.

My question is this: Is there a company or a U.S. agency that reviews products that claim to be gluten-free to verify whether it is truly gluten-free? If a product such as this clearly labels itself "gluten free" is there a way to find out if there is a certain percentage of gluten that is slipping into it that they are not admitting?

In any case, I just want those of you who may be very sensitive to small amounts of gluten to be careful when chosing Hormel. It may be safe for some, but if it does contain trace amounts of gluten it may not be gluten-free-enough for those of us who cannot tolerate even the smallest amount of cross-contamination.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Welcome, Amy! There is no test out there that can measure zero gluten. I do use and trust Hormel as do many others on this forum.

Maybe you just can't tolerate this product for one reason or another so in that case, it's better to just avoid it. Our bodies can be pretty wonky at times and we can react to most anything and everything.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

I agree with Sylvia. Given the number of members here who use it without issue, I would suspect that there is something other than gluten in Hormel pepperoni which causes you to react.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

I eat it all the time and have no issues. I am very sensitive. What are the ingredients of the items you eat it with? Pizza crust etc. You may be intolerant either to something in one of them or you system may just not be able to handle something else in the pepperoni.
I notice you are new so welcome. If your having it on pizza what are you cooking the pizza on? An old pizza pan, peal or stone could be CC'd from past gluten use. Even the cutter could possibly be an issue.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:05 AM

I have never seen anybody else complain that Hormel pepperoni affects them.

richard

#6 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,237 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

Its pretty greasy. Maybe that was it? No problem with Hormel products. Logically, if none of the meat products have gluten, probably not cc.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#7 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

Ditto- I'm very sensitive and have no problems with their regular pepperoni.

One thing, their turkey pepperoni and I don't agree, but sometimes other turkey products bother me....maybe that's something that affects you too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: