Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Am I Re-Glutening Myself With Something Every Day Or Is This A Super Long Glutening?

• Please log in to reply

33 replies to this topic

#1 aquaholical

aquaholical

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'm figuring out the hard way quickly that I am among the "super sensitives." Over the last few months a few "GLUTEN FREE" products have got me (ones I have researched here and found only the super sensitives react to) and I've had to return to eating barely anything processed. I've basically been glutened from one thing or another for 2.5 months now and am getting impatient for relief. Every time I start to feel somewhat over a glutening, I slip up again. (oh, the shame spiral that ensues) (I know, I know, I'm still learning)

The last week has been particularly rough. I'm not sure if it's because of all the accumulation of slip-ups or if there could be something I'm missing and I'm getting myself every day. How do you know? At the exact same time every night (10:00) my stomach starts doing flips like I just consumed something with gluten and I wake up the next day with the typical BM's and flu-like body aches I get day one of a glutening. Usually when I've been glutened those last 3-4 days and the bloating persists an additional 3-4 days then I'm over it. How do I know if this is just my body still going wacky from the last slip-up or if I'm re-getting myself with something every night?

Over the last week I've been having avocados & [Planters] nuts for breakfast, brown rice & lentils for lunch, hummus and carrots for snacks, spaghetti squash and veggies for dinner. All of the packaged rice/beans are brands I have verified and used without problem before, so I've turned my paranoia towards kissing my non-gluten-free boyfriend. He's out of town now, though, and my tummy is still rumbling every night so there goes that theory.

Ug. I hate this! And to top it off I'm dying for a glass of wine. The BF gets back in town tomorrow (hooray!) and I got laid off from my job last week (boo!) and a glass of wine would probably be incredibly stupid right now, correct???

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MJ_S

MJ_S

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

I'd take a closer look at the lentils. They have a really high cc incidence. I've been glutened badly by them. I eat other beans instead now. It's too bad because I love lentils, but I haven't worked myself up to trying a "safe" brand. No matter what the brand you always need to wash them thoroughly and pick through them to find any hidden wheat kernels.
If you search old posts on this forum you should be able to find more information about it.
Here's a video about it someone posted a while back: Gluten CC in Lentils

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#3 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

I I think for many people nuts are very hard to digest, I can't have cashews or pistachios----- some have trouble with legumes... Could you try a very basic elimination plan to see how you feel? Also do a recheck of all items in the house ie: pet food, scratches or things that were used for gluten items. All HBA items, household cleaners ... it may come down to using only items that are produced in a pure no gluten enviroment...

Feel better soon

#4 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

oops, forgot about the wine. I can't drink wine that contains sulphites, gets me every time. The good news is there are wines like Frey Vineyards & many more that don't have sulphites...Flavored coffees, & teas may have gluten...

#5 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

I think one thing people miss early on is that not every reaction is gluten or CC. Lots of us have multiple food intolerances or just plain old weak stomachs that take time to resolve.

#6 aquaholical

aquaholical

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

I'd take a closer look at the lentils. They have a really high cc incidence. I've been glutened badly by them. I eat other beans instead now. It's too bad because I love lentils, but I haven't worked myself up to trying a "safe" brand. No matter what the brand you always need to wash them thoroughly and pick through them to find any hidden wheat kernels.
If you search old posts on this forum you should be able to find more information about it.
Here's a video about it someone posted a while back: Gluten CC in Lentils

Dang, like quinoa? That got me good a few months ago. The only thing is that I've been having this particular brand of lentils all year with no problems. (but I suppose as I'm getting more sensitive maybe I'm only just now reacting to some trace amount they may have? ugh.)

There have also been days this last week that I haven't had any lentils and my symptoms were the same.. so I'm doubtful that's it, but I will definitely investigate further. Thanks for the info!!

#7 aquaholical

aquaholical

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

I I think for many people nuts are very hard to digest, I can't have cashews or pistachios----- some have trouble with legumes... Could you try a very basic elimination plan to see how you feel? Also do a recheck of all items in the house ie: pet food, scratches or things that were used for gluten items. All HBA items, household cleaners ... it may come down to using only items that are produced in a pure no gluten enviroment...

Feel better soon

I just finished an elimination diet (soy, dairy, coffee, spinach and kale were culprits) but I snacked on nuts the whole time as they were allowed on the particular elim diet I followed. I guess I could try cutting them out for a week to see. And I haven't checked cat food.. I rarely get any on me when feeding my critters but couldn't hurt to look into.

#8 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

What I found when I removed all gluten was that several other things affected me with all of the similar symptoms.

That has led me down a road of discovering many of the things that provoke symptoms are "histimines".

The emotional roller coaster is the worst.

#9 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:33 AM

What I found when I removed all gluten was that several other things affected me with all of the similar symptoms.

That has led me down a road of discovering many of the things that provoke symptoms are "histimines".

The emotional roller coaster is the worst.

What other things affect you Ron? That's exactly what I'm going through at the moment, and the fretting about it, is only making me worse? Any advice please?
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#10 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

I'm figuring out the hard way quickly that I am among the "super sensitives." Over the last few months a few "GLUTEN FREE" products have got me (ones I have researched here and found only the super sensitives react to) and I've had to return to eating barely anything processed. I've basically been glutened from one thing or another for 2.5 months now and am getting impatient for relief. Every time I start to feel somewhat over a glutening, I slip up again. (oh, the shame spiral that ensues) (I know, I know, I'm still learning)

The last week has been particularly rough. I'm not sure if it's because of all the accumulation of slip-ups or if there could be something I'm missing and I'm getting myself every day. How do you know? At the exact same time every night (10:00) my stomach starts doing flips like I just consumed something with gluten and I wake up the next day with the typical BM's and flu-like body aches I get day one of a glutening. Usually when I've been glutened those last 3-4 days and the bloating persists an additional 3-4 days then I'm over it. How do I know if this is just my body still going wacky from the last slip-up or if I'm re-getting myself with something every night?

Over the last week I've been having avocados & [Planters] nuts for breakfast, brown rice & lentils for lunch, hummus and carrots for snacks, spaghetti squash and veggies for dinner. All of the packaged rice/beans are brands I have verified and used without problem before, so I've turned my paranoia towards kissing my non-gluten-free boyfriend. He's out of town now, though, and my tummy is still rumbling every night so there goes that theory.

Ug. I hate this! And to top it off I'm dying for a glass of wine. The BF gets back in town tomorrow (hooray!) and I got laid off from my job last week (boo!) and a glass of wine would probably be incredibly stupid right now, correct???

I seem to be going through the same thing as you and I know it gets you down after a while. I think you could be super sensitive like you say. I rang Coeliac UK yesterday here in Britain it's a charity that helps people with the disease. They suggested I spoke to my dietitian about a FODMAP diet. Wonder whether this would help you too? I ended up Googling it to find out what was on the list as I wasn't familiar with FODMAPs although looking back on posts on this forum I realise others here know all about it.
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.

#11 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:15 AM

I don't know about your cat's food, but I could see it being a problem if it has gluten. The transmission would be: cat eats food, (containing gluten), cat cleans himself with his tongue (or licks you), you pet cat, you eat food. So it isn't just about getting the food on you when you put the food out. I would also suggest another elimination diet as it could be some other food that is causing your problems.

#12 aquaholical

aquaholical

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:15 AM

I seem to be going through the same thing as you and I know it gets you down after a while. I think you could be super sensitive like you say. I rang Coeliac UK yesterday here in Britain it's a charity that helps people with the disease. They suggested I spoke to my dietitian about a FODMAP diet. Wonder whether this would help you too? I ended up Googling it to find out what was on the list as I wasn't familiar with FODMAPs although looking back on posts on this forum I realise others here know all about it.

That diet sounds good but it appears to be heavily reliant on fruit and dairy and I can't have any form of sugar because I also have Lyme Disease. So far with the Celiac I've had to eliminate dairy, soy, eggs, coffee, spinach, kale (coffee, spinach and kale I react BADLY to because I guess I was having them too frequently? I used to have a cup of coffee and a green shake for breakfast every morning), and now it looks like I can add lentils/beans to that list. I did end up having lentils last night and most definitely reacted to them. I'm in ridic pain this morning. Dangit!

The other limiting factor is that I've been vegetarian for 12 years. I REALLY do not want to go back to eating meat but as my options keep getting smaller and smaller I'm worried I may have to at least add a little fish back in occasionally (God, I hate fish). Or I've also been considering looking into the raw diet.

Ug.

#13 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

That diet sounds good but it appears to be heavily reliant on fruit and dairy and I can't have any form of sugar because I also have Lyme Disease. So far with the Celiac I've had to eliminate dairy, soy, eggs, coffee, spinach, kale (coffee, spinach and kale I react BADLY to because I guess I was having them too frequently? I used to have a cup of coffee and a green shake for breakfast every morning), and now it looks like I can add lentils/beans to that list. I did end up having lentils last night and most definitely reacted to them. I'm in ridic pain this morning. Dangit!

The other limiting factor is that I've been vegetarian for 12 years. I REALLY do not want to go back to eating meat but as my options keep getting smaller and smaller I'm worried I may have to at least add a little fish back in occasionally (God, I hate fish). Or I've also been considering looking into the raw diet.

Ug.

Regarding the meat, I didn't eat much at all and my doctor told me to eat more of it as I was severely anaemic and needed iron tablets for ages, my ferritin levels were about as low as they can get. I did eat more meat but I've encountered other problems causing a lot more reflux and GERD (I have a hiatus hernia too). It must be difficult if you don't eat any meat as I know that a lot of vegetarian options included the dreaded wheat and gluten which is not an option for us. I have heard that once you've been vegetarian for a long time, your body finds it harder to adjust to tolerating meat - don't know why though. (I used to be veggie and meat doesn't seem to like me :( )

#14 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

What other things affect you Ron? That's exactly what I'm going through at the moment, and the fretting about it, is only making me worse? Any advice please?

Flower,

What I found with my own body, once I was clean of gluten I felt amazing. That was short lived. I next found that potatoes gave me all of the symptoms of gluten. Removing them helped, but a few days later I was coming up with symptoms. I removed cheese, that seemed to help marginally. Then I removed my beloved frothy latte and I again started getting better.

Right now I'm eating only a few root vegetables and meat. This is all I can eat to maintain any kind of good feeling. My biggest complaint is drinks - many drinks affect me such as soda pops and gatorade. I am even a little suspicious of cranberry juice if I have more that just a few ounces. Luckily plain coffee is still working for me.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but it kind of confirms what you are going through I guess.

#15 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

Can you try split green peas instead of the lentils? I suggest you look at all your vitamins and meds also, and maybe eliminate them for a bit to see if anything changes. It does sound like something you are taking in every day is affecting you. Quinoa needs to be very well washed before cooking as it has saponins (soaps) in the shell that can make people sick.

Meats can help by supplying proteins that our bodies need to heal. Mostly they are well tolerated but some people do have problems with red meat. If you are losing weight due to your diet restrictions it makes sense to eat some meat to get back in the healing mode.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: