This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shared Kitchen "review And Renew"

GF Lover

IrishHeart Veteran

Merry Xmas Mom, here's a new toaster. Sorry you've been glutening yourself for 7 years (that'll go over well)... I really worry about where she's been getting her information. She goes to Celiac Association meetings and everything! Probably needs a serious refresher. (sorry. rant)

And I never thought about "hot pads" either (I don't think you want hot pants in the oven...)

You could print off that article I linked to. Tell her all celiacs all over the world are doing a refresher course ? :D (probably shouldn't lie to one's Ma, I know) 

No offense to celiac association support groups, in general, but when I learned from my GI doctor (who is on the advisory board of a local

celiac group ) that the doctor who guest -spoke to them once advised with a wink "you can cheat once and awhile--it's okay, ladies "

I decided then and there to be my own best researcher about all things celiac.

Lots of misinformation (and very bad advice) out there, I am afraid.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I've found (if gluten is eaten and dishes are involved) I have to wash with soap/water/disposable towel THEN put in dishwasher. Dishwasher glutened me. Yes, we run that cleaner stuff through it.

Gemini Experienced

People always say, take the whole family gluten free.  It's easier and no big deal.  In reality, it would be easier for me and it would be no big deal for me BUT I have never asked my Hubs to sacrifice his sausage gravy and biscuits and I'll tell you why.

Five months after I started my gluten free life I was diagnosed with cancer.  I had two operations, both which took a month each to recover from.  My hubs cooked gluten free every day for me, brought the meals to me in bed, cleaned up.  Just as I recovered from the 2nd operation I started immunotherapy treatments.  Hubs drove me an hour to the hospital, held my hand for 3 hours of treatment, drove another hour home five days a week for a month.  I had severe effects from the treatments so I was in bed for another entire month.  All the while he was still making all the gluten free meals, snacks for the road and the hospital.  He was also doing all the household duties we usually share as my son was mostly in school during this time.  Finally this last spring I was finished with the treatments and started feeling half way human again.  Do I mind that he likes his gluten filled sausage gravy and biscuits?  Nope.  Do I mind sharing my kitchen with this particular gluten lover?  Nope.  Will I ever ask him to go completely gluten free for me?  Never.

You see,  I will gladly make this sacrifice for him.

Colleen

This guy is definitely a keeper!   :wub:   I have one like this myself but he is gluten-free with me....and ONLY because we discovered he may actually have a problem with gluten himself.

Otherwise, I would do the same thing as Colleen.

We should clone 'em and sell 'em.....think of the money to be made!  :lol:

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Do you mean they can be rinsed in the sink before use?  That would be great because I have limited space to keep doubles of everything.

Colleen

Yes, I had a glove one but it didn't hold up well.  Now I just have square ones that you fold over the dish.  You can rinse them off in the sink.  They have them at all the regular places like my grocery store, Target, and Walmart.  I'm not sure if any of those names are going to come up as spam sources.  Here's some links that might work.  This one looks great but expensive.  Open Original Shared Link

This one is even the same color as one I have: Open Original Shared Link

IrishHeart Veteran

Yes, I had a glove one but it didn't hold up well.  Now I just have square ones that you fold over the dish.  You can rinse them off in the sink.  They have them at all the regular places like my grocery store, Target, and Walmart.  I'm not sure if any of those names are going to come up as spam sources.  Here's some links that might work.  This one looks great but expensive.  Open Original Shared Link

This one is even the same color as one I have: Open Original Shared Link

Great minds again. LOL That's the second time this week.  :lol:

Those are the silicon mitts I have and linked to above. (sur la table has a pair for 19, I think)

Those red mitts are awesome, aren't they??

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Yeah, I think I need to send Mom some reading material. It could be one of those cases where you're told something when you start out, and never learn otherwise.

I tried to talk to her about the state of the kitchen (Mom, why do we still have this spatula we've been using for 15 years and is all melty and gluteny and awful?) but she seems to think I'm being overly cautious and paranoid.

I mean, the Canadian Celiac Association guidelines are pretty clear:

Open Original Shared Link

Thankfully when my man and I end up moving in together, we both have our own everything already, and while I won't disallow gluten in the house, there will be a no-crumbs policy. I do most of the cooking anyway, and don't think he'll be baking any time soon, so should work out ok.

And WTF with the "sure you can cheat" advice. I have no idea what they discuss at these meetings, but makes me worry what the rest of my family with Celiac is doing. I should offer to cook separate turkey for the gluten-free folks this xmas.

IrishHeart Veteran

. I should offer to cook separate turkey for the gluten-free folks this xmas.

I know I would.

OR

My friend who is hosting is making the turkey. No stuffing. That's my job.

Nothing will touch that turkey.

I even gave her a New baster.

People keep those plastic basters for 37 years. I was glutened by basting my first G F Thanksgiving, (it was at my sister's house and even though she made me my own unstuffed turkey, but guess how she basted BOTH turkeys? yup, just the one basting thinger.Saw it as I was washing the dishes and said oh sh$#!..) 

so I have some "issues" with those damn things.

So my sweet friend will make the turkey, the potatoes, roasted root veggies and cran-orange relish. 

I make the stuffing, the gravy,the  desserts, the appetizer tray. 

She keeps a flexible cutting board in her home that I gave to her...it's just for when I come to visit.

PS. I think a new set of pretty red or blue silicon spatulas for Mom is in order. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Or some of those gluten-free tags/stickers that you can put on things.

I could also offer to weed out the cupboards. There's a crapload of old tupperware down there.

I will also talk to my stepfather and see what he's doing, since he's the gluten eater and does a lot of the cooking.

I might see if the local butcher back home can get in a turkey leg or something. I did one here for thanksgiving and it fed me for a week! There will be at least 3 of us eating gluten-free at our big family dinner. However, my grandmother has always done stuffing outside the turkey, and has made a separate gluten-free version the past few years (that we fight over) and separate gravy, so I'm not as worried about that.

If we get invited to my step-brother's place this year, though, I think I'll be bringing my own, cause I got glutened BAD there last year...

Anyway, enough whining, but it is legitimate concern. Mom's doing pretty well, but still has thyroid problems, developed DH (not sure how bad it is lately), sulphite intolerance, and who knows what else that I don't know about. When it comes to low-level glutening all the time, you might not feel like you're being affected, but you are. Getting rid of that problem will only make you feel better.

(but I'm preaching to the choir. I'll let you know if anything comes of my attempted intervention.)

IrishHeart Veteran

Anyway, enough whining, but it is legitimate concern. Mom's doing pretty well, but still has thyroid problems, developed DH (not sure how bad it is lately), sulphite intolerance, and who knows what else that I don't know about. When it comes to low-level glutening all the time, you might not feel like you're being affected, but you are. Getting rid of that problem will only make you feel better.

(but I'm preaching to the choir. I'll let you know if anything comes of my attempted intervention.)

Good luck, Peg...sounds as if you really need to step in. Something's not right if she's having DH flares. Those can only mean gluten ingestion.

Adalaide Mentor

I remember when you made that whole post worried about your mom. I hope you can help her without her getting terribly upset about stuff.

I never realized they made those silicone thingers as just squares and not mitts. I hate oven mitts, but my husband loves them. I always manage to drop things when I use them. If I can just get little square ones though, I definitely need to go shopping!

GF Lover Rising Star

I just got the silicone square ones at my local Meijer store.  They are very cool.  I'm going to order the mitt that Irish told about.  Now I'm wondering what other seriously cool kitchen gadgets are out there that I don't know about :lol:

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

I just got the silicone square ones at my local Meijer store.  They are very cool.  I'm going to order the mitt that Irish told about.  Now I'm wondering what other seriously cool kitchen gadgets are out there that I don't know about :lol:

Colleen

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!

:lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Look at this! how cute is this? 

Karen gets all red for her G F stuff...they have one that is shaped like a strawberry

Adalaide Mentor

Lots of cool stuff from these guys! I mostly love the bunny pepper grinders though. :wub:

IrishHeart Veteran

OOH OOH

for those who get splattered by bacon grease  :)

I love these!! . Comes in two sizes AND they clean up easily (not like those stupid mesh screens)

Washable and durable and they work!! = happy Irish

GF Lover Rising Star

Holy Kitchen Ware :o

Look at this! how cute is this? 

Karen gets all red for her G F stuff...they have one that is shaped like a strawberry

This is a must have.  It will match my new red hot pad thingys.

Lots of cool stuff from these guys! I mostly love the bunny pepper grinders though. :wub:

Bunnies....I want !!!

OOH OOH

for those who get splattered by bacon grease   :)

I love these!! . Comes in two sizes AND they clean up easily (not like those stupid mesh screens)

Washable and durable and they work!! = happy Irish

Ummmm.  I need a new screen anyway :lol: .  I'm on it.

Colleen

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Great minds again. LOL That's the second time this week.  :lol:

Those are the silicon mitts I have and linked to above. (sur la table has a pair for 19, I think)

Those red mitts are awesome, aren't they??

Hey, the product in my link is slightly different than the one in yours.  I'm innocent of double doubt posting links. :P

IrishHeart Veteran

Hey, the product in my link is slightly different than the one in yours.  I'm innocent of double doubt posting links. :P

That's true. I was just checking to see if you're awake. ;)

Archived