This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cc From A Teflon Pan?

FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

This relates to the histamine issues I’ve been posting about.

I used a Teflon pan to saute broccoli in olive oil with sea salt, and I had a reaction. I haven't used this pan for awhile, it was used before mostly to stir fry different vegetables, garlic, and soy sauce. 

I’m wondering if it’s possible to have a cc from using a Teflon pan that’s been used many times to cook food in it that I’m intolerant to now. I’ve read about toaster and countertop problems, but I didn’t find anything in older posts about Teflon.

It may have been the broccoli :( even though broccoli is on the list of foods that are usually safe for those of us with histamine issues. So far the other foods that have bothered me are on the list of foods to avoid, until this one.

Has anyone had symptoms from using a contaminated Teflon pan before?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Just to be clear - the poster is NOT talking about celiac disease cc.

Perhaps a histamine forum would be a good place to ask this? I have no clue if veggies leave a residue. Isn't the high histamine foods about eating smaller amounts but not completely eliminating? Like I said.... I don't really know and maybe people who deal with this more would know.

HavaneseMom Explorer

I can't speak to the histamine issue with the Teflon pan, but broccoli makes be blow up like a balloon.

I can eat a very small portion as a side, but have learned that much more than that will cause me major pain and discomfort!

Before my diagnosis I had searched online about it because I had such bad pain after eating it.

Here are a couple of interesting links about broccoli and the stomach:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Just to be clear - the poster is NOT talking about celiac disease cc.

Perhaps a histamine forum would be a good place to ask this? I have no clue if veggies leave a residue. Isn't the high histamine foods about eating smaller amounts but not completely eliminating? Like I said.... I don't really know and maybe people who deal with this more would know.

There are a few of us on here with histamine issues. It's a leaky gut related problem that stemmed from my gluten intolerance. That's why I posted it in "other food intolerances". CC is cc, so I was wondering about the possibility of teflon soaking up things like oil, garlic, soy, like that, just like it could do with gluten or anything else that becmes a problem food after dx.

If there is a histimine forum I'd love to know about it though!

124chicksinger Apprentice

Before I had the scoping done to check the villi, while waiting on the celiac bloodwork, I went to an allergist.  I was grasping at straws.  He said my skin was dermographic - I welted due to the scratching alone, and that made it harder to tell what was a true reaction, and what was a contact welt.  Though he said cashews, oysters, barley, oats and rice showed the larger reactions.  He asked if he could "write on my back" and check it after a few minutes.  Of course, every place he "wrote" left welts.  He mentioned wanting to put me on an anti-histamine regime, saying "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail, and being an allergist, this would be my course of therapy for you."   I said no - because 1) I felt I already had enough on my plate and thought I had finally figured it out, that it was the gluten and was close to getting the results and 2) I didn't understand about histamine (I still don't get it), but I get hives a lot, generally one or two my face or neck...cheek, chin, around the eyes or lips.  

This week, I ate a yogurt at 9 am and was fine; at 11:15 I had some non-gmo popcorn (salt/oil), and got 2 hives on my chin.  I am also dealing with a petechial rash on my feet and hands that at the end of this same day on the right foot flared up.  Anyhow, I rarely (almost never) take an aspirin or such, but am dealing with an aching frozen left shoulder for some time how, so I took 2 about 10 minutes before the popcorn.  I didn't think it was the corn (but could have been) and looked it up and saw than NSAIDs too can cause allergic reactions, including hives/rashes.

I think I'm going to have to look more into the histamine issues.  Meanwhile, I wanted to mention to you that it could be a vitamin, a pill, a pain killer, etc., something "new" or "rare" that you do/did.

IrishHeart Veteran

I doubt the pan is the issue. As long as it is clean and not scratched, it's impossible for anything to leave  a residue.

What kind of "reaction" did you have?

I have a histamine intolerance and broccoli is not a high histamine food.

It is difficult to digest as are other cruciferous veggies.

emsimms Apprentice

Could it be the soy sauce that has been used in this pan before?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

Could it be the soy sauce that has been used in this pan before?

maybe, if it's scratched.  i don't use any of my 'old' non-stick pans (but mine are scratched as s#!t)  stainless steel is my friend  :)  i keep the old pans around for the husband.  he *needs* non-stick lolz  

Yes, broccoli is listed as a low histamine food on every list I’ve checked which is why I ate it. My symptoms were itchy, irritated eyes, headache, achy all over, nausea, slightly swollen throat - same as with the high histamine foods or histamine liberators I’ve been having trouble with. I have an appt with an allergist in two weeks to have allergy testing and get an epi-pen. Sooner if they have a cancellation.

The pan isn’t scratched but was used a lot with a sauce I was making with gluten free soy sauce and sugar at one point. I also used the same spatula (plastic of course for Teflon) that I hadn’t used since.

I started thinking about how that spatula seems cheap and doesn’t hold up to high temps very well. Then I went over and smelled the spatula. I washed it before using it, but it still smells like that sauce from months ago!!!!!!!!!

Bye bye spatula. Hello broccoli (I hope). I will be using a metal spatula from now on!!!!! (with a metal pan of course). I wondered why my broccoli tasted sweet.

GottaSki Mentor

If it is a histamine issue, I doubt it is the pan.  There are many things that can release histamine within the body -- heat, cold,weather changes, chemical or other scents, etc, etc, etc.

The list is long.  Think of it this way....you have a small cup...once that cup gets filled with too much histamine released for whatever reason you will feel very real allergic type symptoms.  

That said...think about your total environment and what you physically did before your "allergic" symptoms triggered.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Here I sit with a gurgling stomach, red tchy eyes, swollen nasal passages, body aches, feeling blah!  Why?  It's tree pollen season, Santa Ana Winds kicked up mold this week, a big plate of steamed spinach as part of my lunch and pulling weeds in my veggie garden did me in.  My cup is running over with allergens!  

I have taken a Claritin and that's has helped.  I'm good for 24 hours.  But, the best thing is to avoid foods, so that your body can take the inhalant stuff!  

GottaSki Mentor

feel better CL -- those winds have taken their toll here too

Bummer! Those tree pollens and Santa Anas!  I don't get the inhalant stuff... so far.

The gurgling stomach yes. For me it's hunger from trying to figure out what to eat now. The learning curve is straining my brain. I'm getting the hang of it though! I'm cooking tonight!

Hope it's less windy for you tomorrow CL!

mamaw Community Regular

Do you have  thyroid  issues? I know  many  with  thyroid  issues  that  can't  eat  the  cauliflower,  spinach, broccoli, eggplant .....I love  all fruits & veggies  but  many  of  them  I  must  be  careful.....

No, I don't have thyroid issues but I have been tested for it about a million times!

I know what I have is a Histamine Intolerance. Something I'd never heard of before a week ago. My diet had been really loaded with high histamine foods before I started over on the low histamine diet. I'm feeling much better.

I cooked more broccoli today, fresh from the store, not pre-packaged, with brand new olive oil in a glass bottle. I used a metal pan with a metal spatula. I'm getting itchy about an hour after eating it. I believe either broccoli or olive oil does not agree with me. Both are on the low histamine list, but we each have individual intolerances that don't fit the mold. I use olive oil sometimes but I haven't had broccoli in a long time, so I think it was the broccoli, I hope. Olive oil would be much harder to do without.

As I'm writing this my inner ears are getting sore and I get this sort of mild vibrating feeling all over, slightly nauseous.

So, tomorrow I will try olive oil with something I know I can eat and see what happens. I won't feel better now until I've slept overnight so only one test per day. On the bright side I'm going to get in bed and watch a movie :)

GottaSki Mentor

No, I don't have thyroid issues but I have been tested for it about a million times!

I know what I have is a Histamine Intolerance. Something I'd never heard of before a week ago. My diet had been really loaded with high histamine foods before I started over on the low histamine diet. I'm feeling much better.

I cooked more broccoli today, fresh from the store, not pre-packaged, with brand new olive oil in a glass bottle. I used a metal pan with a metal spatula. I'm getting itchy about an hour after eating it. I believe either broccoli or olive oil does not agree with me. Both are on the low histamine list, but we each have individual intolerances that don't fit the mold. I use olive oil sometimes but I haven't had broccoli in a long time, so I think it was the broccoli, I hope. Olive oil would be much harder to do without.

As I'm writing this my inner ears are getting sore and I get this sort of mild vibrating feeling all over, slightly nauseous.

So, tomorrow I will try olive oil with something I know I can eat and see what happens. I won't feel better now until I've slept overnight so only one test per day. On the bright side I'm going to get in bed and watch a movie :)

Just a suggestion...but wait three days before trying olive oil with something you know safe.  I know it is frustrating...but if you ate something that you reacted to and you aren't sure which it is...give your body a break with safe foods for at least three days between trials.

ps...next time you try broccoli...just steam it with nothing added.

Enjoy your movie :)

OMG, that will take forever!... just kidding. Thanks for the tip. You could write a great book with all the stuff you know! I've finally learned not to be in hurry and enjoy my life just as it is instead of being in a hurry to "get better". I'm much happier this way.

GottaSki Mentor

Yep...once we figure out our silly health puzzles...many of us could write a book :)

The important thing is to keep reading, learning and verifying until you get to put those last pieces in place ;)

Adalaide Mentor

This would probably kill you (at least on the inside, it did me!) but I didn't mess around. I did two weeks on a ridiculous elimination diet. I read every list of histamine foods I could get my hands on online, which I know a significant number of them aren't anywhere near accurate but I avoided everything on every one of the lists anyway. I thought I would starve to death. I started out aiming for a month, I made it two weeks. I'm glad I did it, I always ate a lot of eggs and never would have figured out otherwise that eggs are very serious problem for me if I have too many. I do okay these days with some as long as I'm careful and depending on how I cook them, but they used to light my up like Christmas.

GottaSki Mentor

Two weeks!  LOL...I did six months before I tried histamine challenges - and failed - so kept them all out until I finally added meds these past months....granted I'm on the freak scale for histamine issues.  18 months later and I now have young cheese and red wine :D

Seriously, Addie is correct that removing them all for two weeks, followed by careful reintro really is a good starting point and I hope FruitE is able to tolerate more than I.  Managing symptoms with diet is always the best solution -- if it works ;)

Seriously, I'm just at the beginning, but I've been through so much already I've developed fortitude. I'm following the low histamine list and I already feel so much better, and it hasn't even been a week. I'm now only eating 0 foods (the lowest histamine foods) Yes, I've yet to have a reaction-less day, but I can feel the difference, I can always tell by my actions. When I get up and start to clean, it's a sign.

I believe this has been a missing piece of the puzzle for two years, since I went gluten-free, probably much longer. Years actually, or my whole life maybe. I've always had food issues. It may not be the last piece, but it's a step in the right direction.

I will not waver, GS! I will walk the line for as long as it takes. Eventually I may be able to go out for a walk... with other people!!! This is no joke. I live alone and all I can say is I'm lucky I'm an introvert and enjoy my own company. I do have the benefit of my own kitchen space that I don't have to share. Of course I talk to people, but not that many people have seen me in a loooong time. I used to belong to a walking group. I can't remember what those people look like!

I'll do whatever it takes. I've been without grains or chocolate for two years. I can do anything.

Adalaide Mentor

I know you're at a much longer range on elimination and counting. I snapped at 2 weeks! I suppose if I was having the challenges you've had, I would find it a lot easier to put a lot of foods aside. I'm hoping that my ability to introduce a low histamine light diet without issue isn't going to bite me in the butt now that it's warming up, but I'm prepared to give it all up again except my cheese and chocolate (not that I eat a ton of either) if I have to for the summer. There are some lines in the sand I've drawn that only get crossed at the most extreme need.

GottaSki Mentor

You were right Addie...most folks only need to limit....and I really do hope that is the case for everyone with HIT!

Am always glad to hear folks get foods back -- especially now that I've gotten a bit back -- it's all good :)

Archived