Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Scott Adams

News: Celiac.com: Pope says 'NO' to gluten free. But what about parishioners with celiac disease?

Rate this topic

Pope Francis has reminded priests that gluten-free is not the way to go ... segment of the Catholics with celiac disease, which is a serious disease.

View the full article

and I keep hearing how progressive this Pope is......simply ridiculous!

Besides my opinion, here's an article that states that there is some "wiggle room" for people with Celiac disease. 

In it, it states "After a decade of work, they came up with a Vatican-approved wafer, using wheat starch and water. It contains just .001 percent gluten, an amount low enough for most celiac sufferers, General Counselor Sister Ruth Starman told NPR."

Does anyone know if .001% gluten in a wafer would in fact be low enough? If so, could it even be trusted to be .001%??

4 hours ago, Scarlettsdad said:

Besides my opinion, here's an article that states that there is some "wiggle room" for people with Celiac disease. 

In it, it states "After a decade of work, they came up with a Vatican-approved wafer, using wheat starch and water. It contains just .001 percent gluten, an amount low enough for most celiac sufferers, General Counselor Sister Ruth Starman told NPR."

Does anyone know if .001% gluten in a wafer would in fact be low enough? If so, could it even be trusted to be .001%??

I am Catholic and only receive wine, the blood of Christ.   Our priest makes sure that my kids and I are the first ones to receive communion from the chalice.  The wafer is considered low gluten.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scarlettsdad said:

. However, glutenfreewatchdog did an article on the low gluten hosts today. She tested a single host from the Benedictine sisters and found it to contain 0.0017 mg of gluten. Compare that to the 0.57mg found in a piece of gluten free bread. The amount of gluten you are exposed to is negligible if you take a low gluten host

• Upvote 1

yes, thank you. Hopefully it's accurate. People are also sharing the fact that drinking the wine is also accepted. 

6 hours ago, BergieF said:

I am Catholic and only receive wine, the blood of Christ.   Our priest makes sure that my kids and I are the first ones to receive communion from the chalice.  The wafer is considered low gluten.  

Thank you for this. My daughter is still a few years away from receiving her first Communion so I will definitely speak to my priest about this sort of accommodation.