This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Anyone else have a problem with vitamins, or why that may be the case?

Yeah...I've posted about it lots of times here. I continued to have loose stools and weight loss until I stopped taking my supplements. It was only then that I made alot of improvement.

It was most likely the vitamins were having a negative effect on you. Digestive enzymes also cause problems for me.

B-vitamins fuel candida infections.....thats one reason to avoid them.

There could also be added fillers or other stuff in your supplements that could potentially cause problems. If I take something I always make sure its the "purest" stuff I can find. No Vitamins for me. I also react to Vitamin C.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndreaB Contributor
Teenage son being the MOST exhausting! I told him that until he starts work he can work for two hours around here every day. I gave him a list of things to do. He did totally different things ... or so he claims ... now he's doing what I asked.

What is it with teenage boys?

Can't answer that one. My 5 step sons had different ideas about work. Some worked hard others didn't and still don't.

I actually always thought it was the teenage girls who were the most difficult?? :unsure:

I've heard girls are more difficult. I know if I had 6 T's I would never make it.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I actually always thought it was the teenage girls who were the most difficult?? :unsure:

Or maybe that was just my mom's experience. :ph34r:

Umm, in your mom's case I'm sure it was the girl! :lol::lol: I think my son is a lot like you ... from what you've told me.

I have a sign by my backdoor that says:

Attention teenagers!

Tired of being hassled by your stupid parents?

ACT NOW!

Move out, get a job, pay your own bills, WHILE YOU STILL KNOW EVERYTHING!

jmengert Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, Rachel. I'm such a worrier about germs and such (and teaching doesn't help) that I feel like without vitamins, I'm likely to get every illness under the sun. I've taken a multivitamin my whole life, so this is new for me.

Maybe that's why I've been sick my whole life! :)

Jin--thanks for saying that! It's nice to hear a good probiotic story!

jerseyangel Proficient

Julie,

I've yet to find a vitamin that won't upset my stomach. I'm not surprised that your D got better after stopping yours.

Right now, I don't take any suppliments at all. I'd like to find a multi that would agree with me, as my diet is so limited. I tried Freeda, and got sick on the second day.

Anyway, I'm glad you're making progress :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Dear Rachel,

You mentioned the Lyme Diet a while back. What does that consist of? Can you provide a link? I am curious about this. I had no idea there was a Lyme Diet.

Jin,

It wasnt me. :unsure:

I know I've posted about a million different things in this thread but never anything about a Lyme Diet. :P

Dont know nothing about a Lyme diet except that people with Lyme (or any chronic illness) should eat as healthy as possible to strengthen their immune system.

My Dr. says no sugar, wheat or dairy.

Obviously its not healthy to eat processed foods and things like that. As far as I know there's no "specific" Lyme Diet....its just more about using common sense. Dont eat foods that supress you're immune system or feed "bugs".

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Carla,

I think I could give up everything else! The coffee is another story. I will if I absolutely need to, but would like not to if possible. Coffee is like my best friend! It is difficult to part with it.

I knew that was the intent of the joke! (Winky Face). It is just, we could say that was not the intent. Then we could blame the perversion on Morgan! You see, it all a part of the plan! The plan is called "Blame the teenagers!"

Speaking of teenagers, that sign of yours is great! I would not mind having a similar one for my parents. "Don't like the way I do dishes, do it yourself!" Or how about "Don't like the way I fold laundry, do it yourself!" Another good one would be "There is this amazing thing called walking, try it!" They always have me fetch things for them. They will actually call me into the room they are in from the other end of the house to flip the fan on, turn the light off, or get the phone because they are too lazy to answer!

Dear Alison,

Remember that you brought up how bipolar disorder and caffeine are linked? I am not surpised. I did a lot of research on serotonin imbalances and other chemical imbalances in the brain. It is really fascinating. People with bipolar disorder tend to have an excess of serotonin. Well, drinking caffeinated coffee increases serotonin levels. That makes plenty of sense to me!

Dear Rachel,

That is so weird. I wonder who it was who mentioned The Lyme Diet? I was pretty sure it was someone on this thread. Perhaps it is just my Lyme brain? I do not know. That is going to drive me crazy!

Dear Julie,

You are welcome! Probiotics are great. I really would rather be with them than without them! It is not worth the pain. Once you have them in your system, you like to keep them around.

Sincerely,

Jin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmengert Enthusiast

Thanks, Patti--that's really interesting. I guess by eating a more well-rounded diet (which I am notoriously bad at doing) I should get most of these vitamins naturally.

It's such a bizarre concept--vitamins making people sick!

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti...my charcoal is 100% pure activated charcoal. Country Life brand.

It says its derived from vegetarian sources....so dont know exactly what that might be.

Its free of yeast, corn, wheat, soy, gluten, milk, sugar, starch, preservatives or artificial color.

I havent had any problems with it at all and I know I cant eat coconut.

Rachel--Thanks! I looked that brand up and decided to call and ask them.

The lady told me that it was processed (?) on peat moss! :o There's no coconut used, though...

I think I'm going to try it. My doctor said to not take it within about 3 hours of any meds, as it could absorb those, too.

She told me she uses it and it's "wonderful".

AndreaB Contributor

I love that sign! :lol:

AndreaB Contributor
Rachel--Thanks! I looked that brand up and decided to call and ask them.

The lady told me that it was processed (?) on peat moss! :o There's no coconut used, though...

I think I'm going to try it. My doctor said to not take it within about 3 hours of any meds, as it could absorb those, too.

She told me she uses it and it's "wonderful".

Good news Patti! :D

miamia Rookie

yeah between food shopping , preparing food and cooking food- my life has become very foodcentric. But eating is really pretty painful for me alot of the time so anything I can do it terms of taste and prepartion to make it easier and more enjoyable is worth it.

Don't forget I am the chef of rachelville !!

I had another appt with the physical therapist gut today I ahve alot to say about it (all positive ) but don't really have the energy right now.

Rachel-

yes I ahve an appt. witht he new doc at the begining of July. Too far off I think I might cal ahead and see if there is any testing I can get done prior to the appt. This way he will have the results when i get in as opposed to 2 weeeks after I see him. I feel like this makes alot of sense. (and I ahve ants in my pants and just want to keep doing things) Did you see the web site of his I sent you? He seems pretty interesting- I hope so at least.

I am waiting today to get my liver test results back.

Bev-

I hope you are feeling better

Andrea-

We would probably make a good team- May be i should move out there and help you with the kids and you can help me keep track of my appts- and my brain- which often seems to wander off!!!

AndreaB Contributor
Andrea-

We would probably make a good team- May be i should move out there and help you with the kids and you can help me keep track of my appts- and my brain- which often seems to wander off!!!

I would love that!

We have Dr. Klinghardt and Dr. Amy over here. They are about 3 hours from us. :D

I hope you can get your tests done so they are ready for your appointment. That sounds like a great idea! :D

I hope you'll post your liver test results.....or pm/email them.

CarlaB Enthusiast
My Dr. says no sugar, wheat or dairy.

Mine says no sugar, yeast, caffeine, or alcohol.

They will actually call me into the room they are in from the other end of the house to flip the fan on, turn the light off, or get the phone because they are too lazy to answer!

Sorry, Jin, I've been known to do such things. I figure that as long as I'm paying all the bills, they can do some of those things. :rolleyes:

dlp252 Apprentice
DONNA ..AFRAID TO DRIVE A NITE NOW. I CAN'T DO BRIGHT LIGHTS EITHER. ALOT OF US I GUESS

GOOD LUCK WITH THE SOLO...BEEN MEANING TO CHIME IN ON THAT.

Thanks!!!

I am very sensitive to light as well. Sound also bothers me a lot. I jump at the sound of the phone a lot of the time. I never used to be that way. Everything just seems so loud now! Is anyone else like this?

Yeah, loud sounds bother me and I am really jumpy lately too.

Vitamins are hit and miss with me. I can take some and some not. There are a lot of reasons why a vitamin might not agree with a person. I can't take essential fatty acids...don't know why, but can't. I can take probiotics though...don't seem to have an obvious reaction, but in ART and BioSET some test better than others.

LOVE it!!!!!

I had another appt with the physical therapist gut today I ahve alot to say about it (all positive ) but don't really have the energy right now.

You said foodcentric!!! :lol:

Can't wait to hear about it all!!

rinne Apprentice

Jin, one thing I've heard is that it is important to have a diet high in protein if you are fighting Lyme. I know that it makes a signifcant difference in my energy if I eat more meat.

I spent nearly twenty years as a vegetarian and I find it difficult to remember to eat as much of it as I should. A sure sign that I am not getting enough is craving for sweet things. :rolleyes:

Quickly posting before I dingo everything again... This was the info I saw yesterday on the supplement I've been taking that explains a lot of my very recent D and I'm posting because

Thanks for the link, I checked it out briefly and one thing that jumped out at me was the mineral aspect of the product. I agree with what I saw there and will check it out more thoroughly.

I think that is part of why I saw such improvements last summer when I started the Salt/C, the himalayan salt is loaded with essential minerals and good iodine.

This was my absolute worst symptom during the first year I was sick. I still had my amalgams in at that time and this is when I was continuing to get poisoned.

Any kind of illness caused by neurotoxins can cause sensitivity to bright lights. It could be caused by mercury...or it could be caused by molds. It could also be caused by Lyme....lots of people with Lyme have the same problem.

After I got all my amalgams out this got better for me. The *only* time it gets really bad for me now is when I eat moldy foods. A couple weeks ago I ate a bag of sunflower seeds (which I knew was a bad choice) and had a really hard time driving that night....and for a couple days after that.

Major brainfog goes along with it.

During the first year I was sick I had to wear sunglasses at night...even in my house because the light from the TV or other things was causing me alot of pain. It got to the point where I couldnt drive at all.....not even during the day.

There was also alot of pain and pressure in my eyes....unbelievable pain.....the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. I had to wear a bandana over my eyes while I slept.

This was from the mercury and from my body getting more and more toxic from molds and also chemicals becuase I was still eating fast food and everything else. Its so much better now that the fillings are gone but I still have to avoid molds and chemicals or it does flare up again.

I'm glad you posted that Rachel, it is so wonderful that you are better now but I think many would not believe how truly ill you have been and how extraordinary it is that you are getting well. :)

I have a friend, well perhaps I once had a friend, who was ill and ill in the way that so many of us are. She was seeing an array of therapists and yet she was not really getting better, she had been ill for four years by the time I met her. :(

I lost touch with her a few years ago, before I became ill, and I have thought of her so many times. I know she felt I was a friend that appreciated how ill she was and I did but I know now how lonely she would have been with me because I really didn't get it. Now I know.

"One taquila, two taquila, three taquila, floor! :lol: I am not a drinker either. I get terrible burning in my stomach from two lousy sips of a margarita! :blink:

Sound also bothers me a lot. I jump at the sound of the phone a lot of the time. I never used to be that way. Everything just seems so loud now! Is anyone else like this?

:lol:

Me too.

Umm, in your mom's case I'm sure it was the girl! :lol::lol: I think my son is a lot like you ... from what you've told me.

:lol:

tom Contributor
I do like green tea, but it does not give me the kick I need! :lol:

I am taking baby steps. I do not want to do too much at once. If I do, I might not notice what is helping.

Everything just seems so loud now! Is anyone else like this?

Ok first my quicker comments.

1) No tea either on strict anti-candida diet. Same deal as no dried herbs.

2) I remember hating the auditory \/\/\-JOLT-/\/\/ of a phone too b4 getting on candiet.

3) Here's the big one. Maybe "baby steps" just makes the entire ordeal last 10x longer. Another tack is go for all-at-once strict diet THEN it's easy to test ONE thing at a time and get an isolated response. Wondering "which caused what" is nearly futile, imho.

AND best of all - I felt very much better from day ONE! On day 2 I tried 6 blueberries as a sort of basic 'sanity check' and had pain and tight gut in minutes.

You really might feel better than u have in months or I-dunno-HOW-long TOMORROW if u start it 100% today.

How cool would that be?

AndreaB Contributor
I spent nearly twenty years as a vegetarian and I find it difficult to remember to eat as much of it as I should. A sure sign that I am not getting enough is craving for sweet things. :rolleyes:

I was vegetarian or vegan for 7 years. I didn't have a problem going back to meat thankfully. I have heard that if you crave sweet things it could be that you're not eating enough protein. I think part of that depends on how much sweets you've been inclined to eat but I find I'm more satisified if I have more protein.

I don't know that that counts for chocolate though. We all (me with a mouse in my pocket? :lol: ) know how addicting chocolate can be.

tom Contributor

I did have trouble once, but it was from a changed formula. It was even something from the ND.

Suddenly it wasn't dairy-free.

I started getting better again 2 days after stopping it.

I doubt your situation mimics mine, and I think there are many possible issues - which vit? - but as long as u feel better I know I sure wouldn't bother restarting it for a test.

jmengert Enthusiast

Thanks, Tom--I agree; no more GNC Soloday for me! And, ironically, it took me forever to find a product that was gluten-free, soy free, and dairy free that I could readily buy.

Ah, well. Now, I need to start those probiotics....

AndreaB Contributor
I have a friend, well perhaps I once had a friend, who was ill and ill in the way that so many of us are. She was seeing an array of therapists and yet she was not really getting better, she had been ill for four years by the time I met her. :(

I lost touch with her a few years ago, before I became ill, and I have thought of her so many times. I know she felt I was a friend that appreciated how ill she was and I did but I know now how lonely she would have been with me because I really didn't get it. Now I know.

Any chance of getting back in touch with her?

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Mine says no sugar, yeast, caffeine, or alcohol.

I think my Dr. might just kick me out of his office if I was still consuming alcohol of caffeine. I dont think he would even wanna bother with me. :P

He was frusterated enough about the ice cream :ph34r:...if I was drinking alcohol I think he would just flat out tell me I'm not gonna get better.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Jin, one thing I've heard is that it is important to have a diet high in protein if you are fighting Lyme. I know that it makes a signifcant difference in my energy if I eat more meat.

Rinne....for mercury detox you need to eat high protein as well.

One Dr. (and I forget which one right now) had said that he was never able to successfully detox someone who was vegetarian. They just dont get better on that diet because you need the protein to detox.

I suppose a vegetarian diet could also cause you to retain more toxins....even if you arent sick. If you dont have enough protein you wont be getting the essential amino acids which are necessary for detoxification.

AndreaB Contributor
Rinne....for mercury detox you need to eat high protein as well.

One Dr. (and I forget which one right now) had said that he was never able to successfully detox someone who was vegetarian. They just dont get better on that diet because you need the protein to detox.

I thought that you had quoted Klinghardt on that one. :)

AndreaB Contributor

Bev,

Forgot to comment on this earlier.......

You mentioned how talkative us westerners are, but there are times I've come on in the morning and found you easterners have yakked away. Along with Rachel since she gets up so awfully early. :P Wait a minute.......it's probably mostly Rachel's fault with her mile long posts. :P:lol:

J/K Love your posts Rachel. :D

Archived