This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Modified Food Starch - Correction Of Misconception

RKB-MD

Mtndog Collaborator

Ditto.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
darlindeb25 Collaborator

I won't eat it. The only time I purchase a product that has MFS is when it states it is from corn, I much prefer to have the product state, modified cornstarch! I am very leery of most products, I must be doing something right, since I have only been glutened a few times in almost 7 years.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I can agree on the fact that we should be calling and checking the sources of MFS if we are unsure of the source.

I really thought that was Celiac 101 (no offense to newbies).

So what where we arguing about if we all agree you should check with the manufacturer if you are unsure?

:)

Sure, it ought to be Celiac 101. But it isn't. Look how many people post here, asking, "Is this safe?" And heck, after reading over and over (here) that MFS is safe, I've started eating products that contain it but don't list wheat or barley(and I've been noticing a huge increase in rashes and digestive problems, hmm hmm hmmm :blink: ).

But just yesterday I was told by the mom of autistic, Gluten-free Casein-free twins that her support groups all stay the heck away from anything with MFS and/or maltodextrin, as they all notice reactions in their kids, and they insist it's not safe, despite the 2006 labeling regulation.

So, at this point, I will no longer eat it, and see if I notice any improvement.

As far as I can tell, the argument here seems to be about the following: the original poster is very worried on behalf of the newbies because the general consensus on this board has been that modified food starch (unspecified) is perfectly safe. The original poster felt that it may very well come from a gluten source and that the only way to be safe is to call the manufacturer and ask.

A "senior" member got offended by this and made very snide remarks to the original poster.

The rest seems to be people siding with one or the other.

mouse Enthusiast

It has been awhile since we had a "knock em down" thread. Didn't someone mention we are going to have a full moon?

The things I take exception to is the knocking of the members who have been SO HELPFUL AND INFORMATIVE. I do know that Chris has always qualified his info about MFS and gives sources when they need to be done.

Lisa has ALWAYS been helpful and INFORMATIVE and lists sources.

We live in a world that no matter how careful we are, we are going to have gluten slip by, because we have to depend on others to answer our questions. I took a pill last August that I was told was gluten free (called and emailed them). It was not and I had 3 months of awful neurological problems. I do not care to live in a bubble. I want to enjoy life as much as I can, even tho my medical problems hamper my choices. In a perfect world, eating gluten free would be easy. Nothing is easy that is worthwhile.

We can only do the best that we can and slamming each other does not help.

debmidge Rising Star

I was waiting for RKB's source info before I commented (you should have counted me as a neutral) you asked him to qualify what he said and then didn't allow time for him to return with it..it was poof! Day later "where's the info?" ...anyway, it's Open Original Shared Link

This appears to be a "watchdog" type of group. I didn't read it fully as yet but perhaps it does have something that should be taken as a food-warning.

Mtndog Collaborator
Heck, scroll down, and you'll see that happygirl and mtndog say that they would eat MFS without checking the manufacturer if there is no "warning: contains wheat" label. But the links RKB MD and Darlindeb provided show that it IS possible (not likely, but possible) that barley could be used as a source for MFS. That's not gonna trigger a "contains wheat" label.

RKB MD is absolutely right. You guys ARE a clique. I understand that you've been through a lot together, and have gotten a lot of support from each other. But

Actually what I replied to was mandm1 question: Just to clarify...would this be safe to eat?

An ingridient list includes MFS with no additional explanation/allergies statement, but the product's website lists this product as gluten free.

If the company lists the product as gluten-free despite the fact that it has MFS in it, I would eat it. If I reacted, I wouldn't eat it again. That's all.

lovegrov Collaborator

"So no cross contamination issues matter. It matters to us."

It does matter to us, however I've never claimed CC was covered. I know it isn't.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator
Actually what I replied to was mandm1 question: Just to clarify...would this be safe to eat?

An ingridient list includes MFS with no additional explanation/allergies statement, but the product's website lists this product as gluten free.

If the company lists the product as gluten-free despite the fact that it has MFS in it, I would eat it. If I reacted, I wouldn't eat it again. That's all.

Ditto. Thank you for clarifying.

lovegrov Collaborator

I think the labeling thing on the allergens could be more consistent, particularly because somebody new could get caught by this. But to folks with any experience, I think it's quite clear that you have to look at the ingredients AND the "contains" statement. It's not that hard.

lovegrov Collaborator

If anybody feels so inclined, next time you run into MFS made from rye or barley, please post it. In fact, if you ever see modified wheat starch listed please post the product.

thanks

richard

Tim-n-VA Contributor
If anybody feels so inclined, next time you run into MFS made from rye or barley, please post it. In fact, if you ever see modified wheat starch listed please post the product.

thanks

richard

Sorry I can't be more specific but this weekend I was looking at canned frosting, milk chocolate flavored, and one of the three major brands listed wheat starch.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I cannot remember the product off hand but I did see a product I wanted once and it was written Modified Food Starch (wheat).

It was a few months ago.

hathor Contributor
I don't know, but then again, we've got a lawyer arguing with a doctor, who am I to ask why??? :lol::lol:

Oops, is it that obvious what I am? I haven't practiced for years, but once a lawyer, always a lawyer I guess. I wasn't trying to argue really, just to clarify the point that the entire label should be read. Mentioning that we are dealing with a statute not a regulation was simply to point out that the FDA has no discretion to change the way things are set up. If it were a regulation we were dealing with, it could be changed by the FDA and courts would give more deference to any interpretation of it by the agency.

Someone else makes the point that consistency of always having allergens in a "contains" statement would be useful. Perhaps. But then people would probably make fun of the silly feds requiring whole wheat bread to have a statement "Contains: wheat," peanut butter saying "Contains: peanuts," and the like, in addition to wheat and peanuts already being listed by name in the ingredients list. Be that as it may, the statute reads the way it does and the FDA can't go beyond that.

Stay healthy everyone :)

JennyC Enthusiast
Sorry I can't be more specific but this weekend I was looking at canned frosting, milk chocolate flavored, and one of the three major brands listed wheat starch.

It was probably Betty Crocker. Duncan Hines creamy style frosting, except the Coconut Pecan is gluten free. (I CALLED!)

I'm almost scared to comment on the issue, but I think that some people have been very rude. I understand that many are upset and many have been directly attacked. I have not been around for long, but I hate to see people leaving this site. I am very thankful for the support that I've found here. You all have been great. This part of my life would have been much more difficult without you all.

Let's end this ugly mess with some kind words. :)

CarlaB Enthusiast
Oops, is it that obvious what I am? I haven't practiced for years, but once a lawyer, always a lawyer

No, you outed yourself! :lol: I believe Broncobux is a lawyer. ;)

I have been thinking about this thread this morning. I think that when you have a pre-conceived idea of a person or a group, many times you alter what you say to that person/group to fit your perception of them. Then it is no surprise that their reaction fits your perception.

I tend to think that this is what happened here. The doctors warning the doctor to stay away, especially from certain people, was bound to affect his tone in responding to those people.

What I have seen on the board, is that when people disagree with respect, then there is no fight, some people even agree to disagree. When respect is missing, a fight follows.

lovegrov Collaborator

I'm pretty certain that wheat starch and modified wheat starch are different animals -- or are they? I've certainly seen my share of wheat starch listed, even before the law.

richard

Mtndog Collaborator
It was probably Betty Crocker. Duncan Hines creamy style frosting, except the Coconut Pecan is gluten free. (I CALLED!)

I'm almost scared to comment on the issue, but I think that some people have been very rude. I understand that many are upset and many have been directly attacked. I have not been around for long, but I hate to see people leaving this site. I am very thankful for the support that I've found here. You all have been great. This part of my life would have been much more difficult without you all.

Let's end this ugly mess with some kind words. :)

Well said Jenny C. About the comment that the mods are feeding the fire, we may be moderators, but we are humans too. I see no fire-feeding and I like to see BOTH sides of an issue before I make a decision so that it can be an informed decision. Both sides were presented here- some with respect, some with disrespect. Such is human nature so here are my words:

Be kind. EVERYONE you meet is traveling a difficult road.

luvs2eat Collaborator

Personally, I don't eat anything w/ MFS in it unless it says MFS from corn. If it simply says MFS, it's not for me. Better safe than sorry!

And there ARE some weirdos on here. But there are also so many people who have taught me so much. There's not a question I've ever had that couldnt' be answered by all these knowledgable folks. I can't express my appreciation enough!!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I have little respect for the FDA. There is a law on the books stating that no pets are allowed in stores selling foods, no I do not have it specifically, yet I know it's there, I have worked in retail. There is a significant fine for allowing pets in stores, other than service animals (seeing eye dogs, etc). Yet here in New York, people bring their pets all the time. You see them in grocery stores, you see them sitting in the child seats in shopping carts and no one does anything about it.

This is very true. I work in a grocery store and see it all the time....moreso now than ever. The people bringing the pets in KNOW they should not be doing this...they simply dont care. I think most managers will ignore it because if they say something...these people go BALISTIC.

I know I wouldnt want to deal with it...I'd let them grab their milk and get the heck out.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I have to say that I do not see this in any of my stores thank goodness. I have nothing against people who love their pets, I love my cat to death. I would never bring him to the store, he belongs at home. It's one thing if it is an aid dog, but those people who put those tiny dogs in their purses drives me nuts!

on a side note, similiar subject though, John's sister has a tiny dog she carries everywhere. It bugs me because she expects when she comes to visit us she can just bring the dog into our house. She only lives 20 minutes away, what is the harm of leaving him home.

lovegrov Collaborator

Seems to me the store management or local health department should be enforcing the pet law, NOT the FDA. That's certainly not what I want the FDA doing (personally I don't even have a problem with a well-behaved dog in a store).

I'm another one who lives in area where we never, ever see pets in stores. Guess people here have more sense or more respect for the rules.

richard

lovegrov Collaborator

"And there ARE some weirdos on here."

Hey, we weirdos are everywhere!!

richard

Guest KG in FL
"And there ARE some weirdos on here."

Hey, we weirdos are everywhere!!

richard

Kind of like our church pastor here says.... He says there are weirdos everywhere (he actually used that word!)

"Everyone wants to find that perfect church, with no troublemakers or weirdos, everyone is "normal". Well, if you do ever find that perfect church, DON'T join it. Or you'll ruin it!!"

Meaning every one of us. No one's perfect, there is no "normal".

I thought it was a cute saying.

CarlaB Enthusiast

We never see dogs in stores here, either. Must be a NY/CA thing.

CarlaB Enthusiast
"Everyone wants to find that perfect church, with no troublemakers or weirdos, everyone is "normal". Well, if you do ever find that perfect church, DON'T join it. Or you'll ruin it!!"

Well, I for one know that I am perfectly weird!

Archived