Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beck

Carb Counting

Hi guys;

I am in need of some info. My duagter and I were recently diagnosed with Celiac. My duaghter aalso has type 1 diabetes. Were were very strict with her carb intake before celiac. Now being on the gluten free diet we are having a horrible time finding the carb ratios

I have been make ing hommade bread. the cookbook I use has the carb count, but not for the servinf size. I have no idea how big of a slice to give her. I have also noticed the carb s are way higher than with gluten flours.

Most of her symptoms are gone from the Cleiac issues, but her blood suagrs are really bad now. Her docs said this would happen as she is finally getting nutrion, so I knew things were going to be hard and having to find new insulin doesages, but this carb ratio thing is killing us and making it all the more harder for us to find the right insulin doesages.

If any one can help me that would be great. Even if I had a general "rule of thumb" carb ratio to go by that would help me with a starting point. The cookbook I use is the Bette Hagman one. I use her gluten-free mix and like I said she has the acrb count but not the serving size.

Thanks;

Becky

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you know how many slices you get out of a loaf, you can divide the total carbs by that. Also, if you can post or PM the flour blend you are using (or a link), I can probably figure the carbs since I have the data for most common gluten-free flours.

Incidentally, I find buckwheat flour lends a nice texture to bread items, and is less starchy than the typical ones suggested by many recipes. So if your child doesn't mind a darker bread, that can help lower carbs. Other flours which can help are amaranth, millet, coconut, and bean flours. All of these flours lend more protein and/or fiber than the starchy ones.

HTH

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

There are two diets a person can follow which can really help with blood sugar levels but that do not involve all the carb counting. One is a vegan diet, you can learn more on the website for the Physician's committee for Responsible Medicine, www.pcrm.org There have been many long-term studies showing the benefits of this diet for diabetes.

The other is quite different, the Paleo type diet (high meat/protein), which I think would be harder to follow than the vegan one because it is so low on carbs...but anyway it is also very effective and there is a good book on it by Richard Bernstein called "The Diabetes Solution"--he is about 60years old, and has had type 1 diabetes forever, and he became a doctor after learning how to regulate his own blood sugar and wanting to be able to help others.

As for finding the carb ratios....I think I would call the companies or Bette Hagman's company and ask them to mail you the info...they probably have it.

good luck!

Liz

Hi guys;

I am in need of some info. My duagter and I were recently diagnosed with Celiac. My duaghter aalso has type 1 diabetes. Were were very strict with her carb intake before celiac. Now being on the gluten free diet we are having a horrible time finding the carb ratios

I have been make ing hommade bread. the cookbook I use has the carb count, but not for the servinf size. I have no idea how big of a slice to give her. I have also noticed the carb s are way higher than with gluten flours.

Most of her symptoms are gone from the Cleiac issues, but her blood suagrs are really bad now. Her docs said this would happen as she is finally getting nutrion, so I knew things were going to be hard and having to find new insulin doesages, but this carb ratio thing is killing us and making it all the more harder for us to find the right insulin doesages.

If any one can help me that would be great. Even if I had a general "rule of thumb" carb ratio to go by that would help me with a starting point. The cookbook I use is the Bette Hagman one. I use her gluten-free mix and like I said she has the acrb count but not the serving size.

Thanks;

Becky

Liz

Positive enterolab results 11/07:

-antigliadin IgA: 56 (normal <10)

-antitissue tTG IgA: 39 (normal <10)

-anti-casein IgA: 34 (normal <10)

-HLA-DQ: 2,1 (2,6)

Positive blood test IgA and IgG 12/07

Gluten-free Casein-free since 12/07

mostly soy free since 12/07

Diagnosed with adrenal fatigue 08/07

Diagnosed hypothyroid 01/08

Still have mercury fillings, high mercury and lead

Multiple chemical sensitivities

9 year old daughter positive enterolab test for gluten, casein, soy and egg with HLA-DQ 3,1 (7,6)--mostly exhibits behavioral reactions to foods including food dyes, MSG, aspartame

Mother passed away 3 years ago of adenocarcinoma of unknown primary. Two years prior had diarrhea causing her to weigh 86 pounds...Mayo clinic told her to take pepto bismol. NO test for celiac, lifelong hx of ulcers, osteoporosis. I now know she had the celiac gene (my dad has DQ1) and was probably undiagnosed her whole life.

Hi guys;

Thanks;

Becky

If your Doc is correct (and I believe they are) then the ratio's are pointless until you get a new balance.

Her adsorbtion is completely different as she recovers and will probably keep changing as she heals further.

I would think the best thing would be to fall back to testing until this stabilises as your rules of thumb are likely to keep changing..

You might even consider cutting out all breads and pasta whilst her villi recover ???

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Have you tried the website fitday dot com? You can enter recipies and it will give you calories, protein, carbs per serving. It's a free website.

~Laura

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

My 7 year old son and I both have type 1 Diabetes, and I have celiac as well, so I often make gluten-free foods that the whole family eats. My favorite tool in the world is the Salter 1450 Nutriweigh Scale. You weigh your foods, type it in the scale, and out pops the nutritional information for over 1400 foods. You can also add your own foods and recipies.

I have found that the scale is pretty accurate even for gluten free foods. Yes, gluten-free foods have more carbs, but they also WEIGH more, so the scale is perfect for that. Recently I made a gluten-free cake and weighed it on the scale and typed in "Yellow cake w/frosting" I gave insulin based on the carbs that showed up and blood sugar numbers were quite good afterwards.

Here's a link to the scale. It's pricey, but I used a 20% coupon at BBB and that helps. It's worth every penny, though!!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13824630

My 7 year old son and I both have type 1 Diabetes, and I have celiac as well, so I often make gluten-free foods that the whole family eats. My favorite tool in the world is the Salter 1450 Nutriweigh Scale. You weigh your foods, type it in the scale, and out pops the nutritional information for over 1400 foods. You can also add your own foods and recipies.

I have found that the scale is pretty accurate even for gluten free foods. Yes, gluten-free foods have more carbs, but they also WEIGH more, so the scale is perfect for that. Recently I made a gluten-free cake and weighed it on the scale and typed in "Yellow cake w/frosting" I gave insulin based on the carbs that showed up and blood sugar numbers were quite good afterwards.

Here's a link to the scale. It's pricey, but I used a 20% coupon at BBB and that helps. It's worth every penny, though!!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.as...mp;SKU=13824630

Click here for a link that does work.

There were tags around the link in the original post that caused it to fail.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007