This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Have Sugar Cravings?

whitball

whitball Explorer

I'm wondering if anyone is having problems with sugar cravings. I have been eating massive amounts of sugar. It's almost like an obsession. Any thoughts or similar experiences? solutions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luciddream928 Explorer

On occasion I have sugar cravings. . . . and I notice bad mood swings, but I want more. Not sure what it's about. Probably frustration from not eating gluten foods. But it's funny, I notice that when I'm going through a "glutened" spell, when it breaks I want a ton of sugar. Perhaps from not eating at all? My brain is starving? :lol:

As for solutions, I just give in to be honest.... Probably not the best way but I really, really, REALLY miss ice cream.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Oh yes. The cravings can be persistent and it's hard to stop eating massive amounts of sugery and starchy things. And the pounds pile on.

I usually go through withdrawals when stopping the cycle. Three days of headache, shakes and irritability.

However, here recently I had decided to try the SCDiet. I sort of eased into it for a couple weeks, eating the yummy nut flour muffins and all the honey and fruit juices. All the while reducing the refined sugars and gluten-free flours. Well, I did NOT go through the withdrawals, which was great. After about two weeks of weaning myself off the sugars I started the diet with the intro - mostly chicken soup and grape-juice jello. After a couple days you add homemade yogurt to replenish the good bacteria.

The intro to the SCD is a good detox diet even if one doesn't stay on the full SCDiet because it basically starves the bad bacteria by not feeding it any complex sugars - and only eating simple sugars such as honey and fruit/juice which are digested quickily and don't make it very far into the gut. I plan to do a couple days of the into every couple months.

I have read that sugar cravings have a lot to do with abnormally high bad bacteria count in the gut, along with yeast overgrowth. I'll have to say that I agree wholeheartedly. I don't have anymore cravings.

tom Contributor
I'm wondering if anyone is having problems with sugar cravings.

Everyone w/ candida overgrowth (aka yeast) will crave sugar.

Sneaky buggers use mind control.

If you have to eliminate sugar (AND sweeteners of all types) for this, keep in mind it's only hard at first. It really does become a breeze after a couple wks or so.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have a terrible problem with sugar/carb cravings. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of an all-or-nothing kind of person, so I go through periods of giving them up pretty much completely or going off the deep end with them (like now :( )

lizard00 Enthusiast

I'm doing a sugar fast right now. Today is the end of day 4. It's gotten much easier. The first two days I craved sugar really bad. Once you turn on the sugar receptors, your body starts to crave sugar.

Anyway, the first few days are pretty rough, but I'm definitely feeling better. For me I don't think it has to do with being gluten free, I've always been that way. The more I eat it, the more I want it.

flourgirl Apprentice

Me, too. I crave sweets, and am still giving in daily. I think if I gave up sweets, my weight will drop again. As it is I'm managing to maintain a fairly steady weight. I had started taking probiotics a while ago thinking it might help. I think it has....and from what I'm reading I guess I ought to behave and leave the garbage stuff alone. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

It's a common symptom of lingering malabsorbtion problems and perhaps a bit too much carbohydrate and not enough protein and fat for your special metabolism. At this time of year, as we approach the shortest day and have very little exposure to sunlight, it is also an instinct to eat a lot of fattening food for energy, and easy to have trouble getting enough vitamin D.

Your body, when your blood sugar gets low, will crave simple sweets to quickly bring it back up again. Eating more protein and (good) fats instead of a lot of starches and carbohydrates, like regular people can, can help level out the highs and lows.

BUT, by being gluten intolerant or celiac, you also need a B- complex vitamin and calcium supplements, and some magnesium so your body can use the calcium, because of the damage to the gut lining means that you may need extra to get enough. This is because one of the symptoms of the blood being low in calcium is a severe sugar craving, which most people don't realize. Your brain does not read the mineral cravings in a sophisticated enough way that it registers as "feed me calcium citrate," instead, you end up with bone loss as the kidneys try sucking the calcium right out of your bones.

ShayFL Enthusiast

There is an Ayurvedic herb called: Gymnema Sylvestre (Gurmar, Meshasringi, Cherukurinja)

In India it is known as the "sugar destroyer". It gets rid of your desire for sweets and if you eat them, they just dont taste good to you anymore. It will lower your blood sugar a bit, so monitor that if you decide to try it.

It has a long track record for safety. Google it.

I have researched it extensively myself and am almost ready to try it. It has a unique chemical that actually helps the Beta cells in the pancreas regenerate. I do have anitibodies to insulin and the GAD (just not enough to be dx with Type 1). So this interests me greatly. Would be nice to stop it in it's tracks and not progress. :)

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast
Eating more protein and (good) fats instead of a lot of starches and carbohydrates, like regular people can, can help level out the highs and lows.

BUT, by being gluten intolerant or celiac, you also need a B- complex vitamin and calcium supplements, and some magnesium so your body can use the calcium, because... one of the symptoms of the blood being low in calcium is a severe sugar craving.

I wrote in with the same question a few weeks ago... your advice is exactly what worked for me! More nuts and other healthy fats, more protein, B vitamins, and more calcium.

I think I was also doing a bit of emotional eating <_< I had just realized that gluten-free was no longer an "experiment" for me but a life-long requirement. Chocolate gives your brain a boost of serotonin.

lizard00 Enthusiast
I think I was also doing a bit of emotional eating <_< I had just realized that gluten-free was no longer an "experiment" for me but a life-long requirement.

That's a pretty tough slap to reality, isn't it!! I did the same thing when it hit me too.

whitball Explorer
It's a common symptom of lingering malabsorbtion problems and perhaps a bit too much carbohydrate and not enough protein and fat for your special metabolism. At this time of year, as we approach the shortest day and have very little exposure to sunlight, it is also an instinct to eat a lot of fattening food for energy, and easy to have trouble getting enough vitamin D.

Your body, when your blood sugar gets low, will crave simple sweets to quickly bring it back up again. Eating more protein and (good) fats instead of a lot of starches and carbohydrates, like regular people can, can help level out the highs and lows.

BUT, by being gluten intolerant or celiac, you also need a B- complex vitamin and calcium supplements, and some magnesium so your body can use the calcium, because of the damage to the gut lining means that you may need extra to get enough. This is because one of the symptoms of the blood being low in calcium is a severe sugar craving, which most people don't realize. Your brain does not read the mineral cravings in a sophisticated enough way that it registers as "feed me calcium citrate," instead, you end up with bone loss as the kidneys try sucking the calcium right out of your bones.

Wow! I didn't even think of this. I really do almost shovel sugar into my mouth all day long. I don't think that I get enough calcium now that you mention it. Nor any vitamin supplements for that matter. I have a few questions: What gluten free supplements are out there? My car is my office, so I eat on the road alot. Any suggestions as to proteins that are easy to eat while driving? A few people have mentioned the specific carb. diet? What are your thoughts?

whitball Explorer
Everyone w/ candida overgrowth (aka yeast) will crave sugar.

Sneaky buggers use mind control.

If you have to eliminate sugar (AND sweeteners of all types) for this, keep in mind it's only hard at first. It really does become a breeze after a couple wks or so.

Can you tell me more about candida overgrowth?

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

I found the best thing to do is just get rid of anything with sugar in your house. Have plenty of fesh fruit around. I always grab an apple when I want something sweet. Stick to juices that are not from concentrate. I also found that sweet potatoes help control sugar cravings. It does get easier. After a while you wont even want sugar. once you go back to eating it, you want to keep eating it.....at least that is how it is with me. I am also sometimes an emotional eater though too, I eat when under stress-eek!

RiceGuy Collaborator

In addition to the other good suggestions made here thus far, I'd recommend Open Original Shared Link for your sweetener. It is natural, has no sugars, no carbs, no calories, and is zero on the glycemic index. The pure powder is the one I prefer, and it is intensely sweet. Only a tiny amount is enough compared to sugar, so you'll have to follow the label and experiment a few times to find out how much to put in a given food or beverage.

As was mentioned, sugar cravings can be caused by candida overgrowth. If this is the cause for your cravings, besides cutting out the sugars, my suggestion would be to avoid all yeasts, vinegars, and fruits, and take caprylic acid capsules. Though I didn't have sugar cravings, this made a huge difference for me in a matter of weeks. All sorts of aches, pains, and other lingering issues resolved themselves. No more migraines! You can add fruits back in slowly, but after you've achieved full recovery. The time it may take varies from person to person, and can easily be several months or more.

whitball Explorer
In addition to the other good suggestions made here thus far, I'd recommend Open Original Shared Link for your sweetener. It is natural, has no sugars, no carbs, no calories, and is zero on the glycemic index. The pure powder is the one I prefer, and it is intensely sweet. Only a tiny amount is enough compared to sugar, so you'll have to follow the label and experiment a few times to find out how much to put in a given food or beverage.

As was mentioned, sugar cravings can be caused by candida overgrowth. If this is the cause for your cravings, besides cutting out the sugars, my suggestion would be to avoid all yeasts, vinegars, and fruits, and take caprylic acid capsules. Though I didn't have sugar cravings, this made a huge difference for me in a matter of weeks. All sorts of aches, pains, and other lingering issues resolved themselves. No more migraines! You can add fruits back in slowly, but after you've achieved full recovery. The time it may take varies from person to person, and can easily be several months or more.

I have alot of questions, so bear with me. Where do I get Stevia? How long has this been on the market? This is a weird one.......the sugar craving has increased since I sustained a head injury over the summer when I fell down the stairs. not sure if this is related or not. How does Stevia taste?

ShayFL Enthusiast

You can find it at any health food store or online:

Open Original Shared Link

Stevia is sweet. One caveat is that if you use too much it will taste bitter. I like it. My daughter hates it. It is a personal thing. So dont buy in "bulk". Buy small to see if you like it.

READ THIS. ALL OF THIS (head injury/sweet cravings related):

Open Original Shared Link

CMCM Rising Star

Ahhh, sugar, the evil sugar. I am driven to eat the stuff sometimes. My body and mind are wired to love sweet tastes. That said, I can and have gone long periods with it almost entirely banished from my diet.....after ashort time sugar free, I'll lose the cravings and do just fine for awhile. Then at some point I'll break down and chow down on something sweet again....and again, and then I'm back on the sugar wagon again. I'd love to be more moderate with it...probably not going to happen, though. <_<

Archived