This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

love2travel Mentor

I made sublime chipotle and cascabel orange carnitas with corn tortillas. I have a thing for pork! Alas...tummy troubles prevented me from enjoying them tonight but at least my husband did...perhaps tomorrow.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

love2travel Mentor

Ditto on the above. My tummy is vastly improved so we are having carnitas et. al.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Grilled indian spiced minced lamb kabobs with saffron rice and lettuce tonight. There is no egg or binder in the recipe I used, so they didn't end up being kabobs (slid right off the stick and ended up being burgers or logs).

Last night: Vietnamese shrimp with rice noodles, shredded carrots and lettuce with two dressings (both Vietnamese).

We're traveling the world without all the airfare and hassle, it's all good.

love2travel Mentor

From scratch as always - Mexican Street Tacos with Chimichurri and Potato Salad.

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

Grilled indian spiced minced lamb kabobs with saffron rice and lettuce tonight. There is no egg or binder in the recipe I used, so they didn't end up being kabobs (slid right off the stick and ended up being burgers or logs).

Last night: Vietnamese shrimp with rice noodles, shredded carrots and lettuce with two dressings (both Vietnamese).

We're traveling the world without all the airfare and hassle, it's all good.

where do you find saffron at? I've never been able to find it (but then again, I've only ever looked in the spice section of regular grocery stores). Someone gave me some once, so I know what it looks like, and I know I liked it when I used it. :)

love2travel Mentor

We are going to Mexico tonight (well, kinda)...

Chile Rellenos (stuffed with a superb local cheese)

Orange and Cumin Glazed Baby Carrots

Green Chile and Onion Rajas

Watermelon Basil Granita

Tomorrow we are going to Korea! :D

freeatlast Collaborator

We are going to Mexico tonight (well, kinda)...

Chile Rellenos (stuffed with a superb local cheese)

Orange and Cumin Glazed Baby Carrots

Green Chile and Onion Rajas

Watermelon Basil Granita

Tomorrow we are going to Korea! :D

Haha.

We're having buckwheat chocolate chip pancakes with blueberries, maple syrup (not really...bought some cheap other kind, but in a perfect world...),and turkey bacon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Haha.

We're having buckwheat chocolate chip pancakes with blueberries, maple syrup (not really...bought some cheap other kind, but in a perfect world...),and turkey bacon.

Yum! Those pancakes sound good.

freeatlast Collaborator

Yum! Those pancakes sound good.

Yeah, they were pretty good (I sampled one already, hehe).

where do you find saffron at? I've never been able to find it (but then again, I've only ever looked in the spice section of regular grocery stores). Someone gave me some once, so I know what it looks like, and I know I liked it when I used it. :)

Badia spices are available where I live. They usually have a separate section in the supermarket, sometimes in the Latin section, sometimes in the spice section. I paid about $5.00 for a little plastic snap shut container that has lasted over a year. I think Badia usually has their display arranged alphabetically.

Chicken Liver Pate with Cloudberry Gelee

Homemade gluten-free bun with butter and Hawaiian sea salt

Venison Osso Bucco with Applewood Smoked Cheddar and Pancetta Polenta

Roasted Asparagus

Absolutely amazing. :)

Just scrolling through some old threads. Yum, that sounds good! I'm up for adoption! :D

love2travel Mentor

Just scrolling through some old threads. Yum, that sounds good! I'm up for adoption! :D

Admittedly it was awesome. As a perfectionist, I am very critical of my own cooking and am often not quite satisfied. However, this was pretty darned good.

So, who hires the lawyer - you or I?? :lol:

aroche84 Rookie

Tonight I made white rice, steamed broccoli, fresh tomatos, garlic and chicken tossed together with a little worches$#&re sauce!! It was so simple 10 minutes and dinner was ready and there is enough for lunch tomorrow!!!!

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

Badia spices are available where I live. They usually have a separate section in the supermarket, sometimes in the Latin section, sometimes in the spice section. I paid about $5.00 for a little plastic snap shut container that has lasted over a year. I think Badia usually has their display arranged alphabetically.

Thanksthat should help! i'll have to have a good look see at the grocery stores around me!

kareng Grand Master

Tonight I made white rice, steamed broccoli, fresh tomatos, garlic and chicken tossed together with a little worches$#&re sauce!! It was so simple 10 minutes and dinner was ready and there is enough for lunch tomorrow!!!!

Good job! You can make extra rice an freeze it in a baggie with your name on it. Then pop it out when you need some. I have found it stays good in the freezer for 3 months. Sometimes I cook little bits of carrot with the rice for a little added nutrition.

krystynycole Contributor

Thanksthat should help! i'll have to have a good look see at the grocery stores around me!

I don't know if you have these stores where you live, but in IL we have what's called Fresh Pick Market stores. They are a grocery store, but have mainly fruit and veggies and not much "shelf" foods. As a result they have a lot of ethic foods in the line of spices and stuff. Just an idea...hope you find it!

love2travel Mentor

Ensure it is not safflower you are getting - it looks similar to saffron but is a very poor imitation (i.e. it would definitely turn a person off if s/he thought it was saffron). The good saffron from Iran and Spain is very expensive (about $40-$50 for about 1 tbsp) but as mentioned the grocery store stuff is cheaper (but sufficient and sort of similar to the real thing!). Great in Risotto Milanese and paella! :)

To get the most flavour from your saffron make sure to steep it in some hot or warm liquid rather than just throwing it into a dish. The threads are from a specific species of crocus that only blooms a short time each year and are hand picked (each crocus only has a few) - that is why the authentic thing is so darned expensive.

Good luck finding some - I hope you do!

aroche84 Rookie

Good job! You can make extra rice an freeze it in a baggie with your name on it. Then pop it out when you need some. I have found it stays good in the freezer for 3 months. Sometimes I cook little bits of carrot with the rice for a little added nutrition.

Thanks for the tip!!! I have a rice steamer that cooks my rice in the microwave in 6 minutes to perfection but I will keep that in mind for trips bc as sad as it is I can't take all my cooking goodies with me

come dance with me Enthusiast

I'm making cottage pie and fried rice but will decide later what we'll have tonight and what we'll put in the freezer :)

domesticactivist Collaborator

We had left-over home-made chili. We just introduced white beans and tomatoes after about 6 months with no nightshades or legumes, so it has been pretty exciting! :)

love2travel Mentor

It's a hot one today so we are grilling again...

Korean Flank Steak, marinated and grilled, drizzled with a Korean vinaigrette

Zucchini "carpaccio" with goat cheese, pine nuts, fresh mint and honey orange vinaigrette

Baby Garden Potatoes with Fresh Herbs and Garlic

Strawberry Fool

freeatlast Collaborator

Red potatoes with butter and fresh chives from my garden, corn on the cob, and mushroom sauteed in butter, onions, and garlic.

This is our farmer's market meal.

sa1937 Community Regular

Pizza...it's been awhile since I made it. Hot here, too, but cool in the house with the A/C on. :)

alex11602 Collaborator

Pizza...it's been awhile since I made it. Hot here, too, but cool in the house with the A/C on. :)

That sounds really good.

We are having london broil and smashed potatoes, probably add cucumbers too.

Wenmin Enthusiast

Boiled crabs caught fresh today! (and all the fixin's: mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, corn, sausage, hot dogs, green beans, okra, onions, and dip)