This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Colonoscopy

Salax

Salax Contributor

Question for all you brainie-acks out there

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Maybe your aunt is confused and he did a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. The colonoscopy is the large intestine. Celiac destroys the villi in the small intestine. The endo goes in thru the mouth for the top part. Taking biopsies during the endo is how they diagnose Celiac. I had both done just to make sure I didn't have anything going on in the second half, too.

Hopefully, the doc isn't the confused one. Sometimes people hear " oscopy" and they all sound the same.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

You cannot test for Celiac with a colonoscopy. It's done with an endoscopy.

They biopsy the small intestines. You will get a negative test every time with a colonoscopy.

psawyer Proficient

The damage to the villi caused by celiac disease cannot be detected by colonoscopy. An endoscopy of the duodenum is needed to do that.

Is it possible that both an endoscopy and a colonoscopy were done at the same time? The preparation for a colonoscopy is more involved and includes what is needed for the endoscopy. It is prudent to do both, as there may be other issues besides celiac disease.

I have had the double procedure twice. In 2000, the endoscopy showed severe damage to my villi, while the colonoscopy was normal. When repeated in 2005, my villi were completely healed and were normal.

Salax Contributor

Thats what I thought. I need to ask. I hope it's not the doctor that is confused. I'd get another doc. Thanks guys. :D

seashele2 Newbie

Your aunts gastro can't look for celiac in the large intestine with a colonoscopy. She would need an endoscopy to find damage to the villi in the small intestine. My mother-in-law said her doc told her she didn't have celiac after her colonoscopy too but if he did, he is unclear on how celiac is diagnosed. Glad we use a different gastro than she does!

If your aunt's gastro did check with a colonoscopy, she also doesn't know how and where to check for celiac and any diagnosis based on that would be irrelevant.

Michelle

Western Washington State

Archived