Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Salax

Colonoscopy

Question for all you brainie-acks out there

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Maybe your aunt is confused and he did a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. The colonoscopy is the large intestine. Celiac destroys the villi in the small intestine. The endo goes in thru the mouth for the top part. Taking biopsies during the endo is how they diagnose Celiac. I had both done just to make sure I didn't have anything going on in the second half, too.

Hopefully, the doc isn't the confused one. Sometimes people hear " oscopy" and they all sound the same.

You cannot test for Celiac with a colonoscopy. It's done with an endoscopy.

They biopsy the small intestines. You will get a negative test every time with a colonoscopy.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

The damage to the villi caused by celiac disease cannot be detected by colonoscopy. An endoscopy of the duodenum is needed to do that.

Is it possible that both an endoscopy and a colonoscopy were done at the same time? The preparation for a colonoscopy is more involved and includes what is needed for the endoscopy. It is prudent to do both, as there may be other issues besides celiac disease.

I have had the double procedure twice. In 2000, the endoscopy showed severe damage to my villi, while the colonoscopy was normal. When repeated in 2005, my villi were completely healed and were normal.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Thats what I thought. I need to ask. I hope it's not the doctor that is confused. I'd get another doc. Thanks guys. :D

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

Your aunts gastro can't look for celiac in the large intestine with a colonoscopy. She would need an endoscopy to find damage to the villi in the small intestine. My mother-in-law said her doc told her she didn't have celiac after her colonoscopy too but if he did, he is unclear on how celiac is diagnosed. Glad we use a different gastro than she does!

If your aunt's gastro did check with a colonoscopy, she also doesn't know how and where to check for celiac and any diagnosis based on that would be irrelevant.

Michelle

Western Washington State