This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hot Chocolate

skichikk18

skichikk18 Rookie

Ok so I have a ton of hot chocolate in my house. Does any know if the packets of swiss miss are gluten free? Also swiss miss with marshmallows? I also have to purchase nestle for a project and have no idea if that is gluten free as well. That would also contain the mini marshmallows.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Ok so I have a ton of hot chocolate in my house. Does any know if the packets of swiss miss are gluten free? Also swiss miss with marshmallows? I also have to purchase nestle for a project and have no idea if that is gluten free as well. That would also contain the mini marshmallows.

If you have the box at home, what is on the ingredients list? There most likely is a 1(800 #) on the box to inquire about the gluten free status. Marshmallows are generally gluten free.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi and welcome to the board :)

Swiss Miss is a Con Agra company, and they will list any gluten on the label. Nestle will, also. If you have other brands you are wondering about, you could list those and hopefully someone will know--or you can always call the company and ask them.

Never assume that all foods in a catagory (such as hot cocoas) are all gluten-free--each one has to be checked. ;)

It's a little daunting at first, but I promise it will get much easier with a some time.

• 1 year later...
glutenfreechica Newbie

I know you guys are talking about the powdered hot chocolate but DON'T Get Dunkin Donuts hot chocolate... I was fine when I drank it but directly afterwards I got really ill for a full day. Not worth it!!!

foodiegurl Collaborator

The Abuelita Mexican hot chocolate tablets, imported by Nestl

• 1 month later...
JillianLindsay Enthusiast

Does anyone know if Higgins & Burke (made by Mother Parkers Tea & Coffee Inc.) "gourmet" WHITE hot chocolate is gluten-free? I can't find any information on their website or anywhere online using a google search. There is nothing in the ingredients obviously stating wheat or other gluten products, however there are natural & artificial flavours and a lot of chemically-sounding names that I can't decipher.

I emailed the company, but I usually get a much faster response on this forum :) I even tried calling, but just got an answering service! It's very cold here in Winnipeg and I have exams to study for! BRRRR

Thanks,

Jillian

Wenmin Enthusiast

Make your own. It is Gluten Free and I've been using this recipe for as long as I can remember. Much better than those store bought versions...

Hot Cocoa

Ingredients:

12 oz. can pet milk

12 oz. water

4-5 oz. sugar

1 heaping tablespoon Hershey

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AnneM Apprentice

I drink a cup of Swiss Miss with marshmellows every day, there isn't any gluten listed, it's safe to drink. :)

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Hot Cocoa

Ingredients:

12 oz. can pet milk

12 oz. water

4-5 oz. sugar

1 heaping tablespoon Hershey

jerseyangel Proficient
Pet milk?

An evaporated milk. I find that any milk works fine (with out the added water)--whole, skim, almond, rice, etc. I'm going to try to make my own this winter using stevia for the sweetener.

Open Original Shared Link

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Thanks, I can get evaporated milk quite easily, but pet milk? My dog is a boy. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
G-freegal12 Contributor
Thanks, I can get evaporated milk quite easily, but pet milk? My dog is a boy. :ph34r:

LOL just drink swiss miss. Its gluten-free.

• 4 years later...
Nene212 Newbie

Thanks, I can get evaporated milk quite easily, but pet milk? My dog is a boy. ph34r.gif

Pet Milk is an old brand of canned milk. Its their name not to be used for pets. The company was started in 1885 Here is the history Its really very interesting.  Open Original Shared Link 

kareng Grand Master

Pet Milk is an old brand of canned milk. Its their name not to be used for pets. The company was started in 1885 Here is the history Its really very interesting.  Open Original Shared Link 

FYI- you are replying to a 4 year old post/ joke?

• 1 month later...
cap6 Enthusiast

LOL!!!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Robert Noah
    Newest Member
    Robert Noah
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Nacina
      Well, that's a big question. When he was seeing the nutrition response testing dr. that changed each time we went in. He hasn't been seeing him regularly for theist ten months. When he had a horribly week in March I started him back on the 4 that were suggested to keep him on. Those are: Standard Process Chlorophyll Complex gluten-free, SP A-F Betafood gluten-free, SP Tuna Omega-3 Oil gluten-free, And Advanced Amino Formula. He also takes a one a day from a company called Forvia (multivitamin and mineral) and Probiotic . Recently he had to start Vitamin D as well as he was deficient.  
    • Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B