19 replies to this topic

#16 motheroftwins2010

motheroftwins2010

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:42 AM

The Dairy-free and Gluten-free Kitchen by Denise Jardine is amazing! I like that nothing processed is called for but if you have a milk sub you buy or stock you purchase and like you can use it and its full of great tasting recipes even my non gluten-free fammily loves it!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Especially when stored in the refrigerator, or better yet, the freezer.

Thanks! I forgot to include freezer! My big freezer in the garage is one of the best investments I have made!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:18 AM

Even after all this time gluten free I keep it very very simple.

I stick with mostly paleo/ simple ( meaning very few  basic ingredients ) recpies

I am intolerant of so many things buying  pre mixed flours is not an option

Food for life organic rice tortillas are about as fancy as I get :P :D

Do I miss bread/pastrys /ect... some times but my reaction is so severe  that I do not risk my health

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#19 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

I did the same thing as you when I was first diagnosed . . . got a bunch of gluten-free cookbooks from the library.  The ingredient lists were crazy long and included all kinds of flours . . . it felt more like a science experiment than a recipe.

I found many more "friendly" recipes in Paleo cookbooks and even Low Carb cookbooks . . . 

I use Pamela's blend for general cooking (and pancakes) and I use Betty Crocker mixes when I want a baked dessert.  Otherwise, we now have more puddings, cheesecakes, and things like that for dessert.

If you use a crockpot, the "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" cookbooks are GREAT.  Every recipe just happens to be gluten free because the author's daughter has Celiac.  They don't have any weird ingredients in it at all.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com

The most annoying thing is the gluten-free cookbooks that have recipes for things like "grilled cheese sandwich" (use gluten-free bread!) and lasagna (use gluten-free noodles!)   Who can't figure that out?  I want recipes that just happen to be gluten free . . .

#20 icelandgirl

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

I did the same thing as you when I was first diagnosed . . . got a bunch of gluten-free cookbooks from the library.  The ingredient lists were crazy long and included all kinds of flours . . . it felt more like a science experiment than a recipe. I found many more "friendly" recipes in Paleo cookbooks and even Low Carb cookbooks . . .  I use Pamela's blend for general cooking (and pancakes) and I use Betty Crocker mixes when I want a baked dessert.  Otherwise, we now have more puddings, cheesecakes, and things like that for dessert. If you use a crockpot, the "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" cookbooks are GREAT.  Every recipe just happens to be gluten free because the author's daughter has Celiac.  They don't have any weird ingredients in it at all. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com The most annoying thing is the gluten-free cookbooks that have recipes for things like "grilled cheese sandwich" (use gluten-free bread!) and lasagna (use gluten-free noodles!)   Who can't figure that out?  I want recipes that just happen to be gluten free . . .

Thanks for all the info...great ideas. I bought a bunch of flours and I don't even know what to do with them. Millet...Quinoa...Coconut and potato starch. And all I ever use is the all purpose.
January 2014-Celiac
August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: