This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite Gluten Free Cookbook/website/blog

icelandgirl

icelandgirl Proficient

Does anyone have a favorite gluten free cookbook, website or blog that they use for recipes?  I have tried to recipes from glutenfreegoddess and both were so good.  I grabbed 2 cookbooks at the library.  1 had no pictures...I'm super visual so I took that right back.  The other has yummy looking recipes, but everything with flour has 4-6 different flours/starches.  A bit overwhelming.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

You might do better buying a flour mix.  Like Pamela's.  They will have recipes on the bag and on their websites. I have used the Pamelas when a recipe calls for a spoonful or 2 of regular flour to thicken.   Or buy a mix, like Chebe focaccia and use  it for other things.  They have recipes on their websites/FB pages.  I made little balls with moz and Italian sausage and dip them in pasta sauce for Super Bowl last night.

Betty Crocker has gluten-free recipes that use the gluten-free Bisquick and the other gluten-free mixes.

Open Original Shared Link  

Chebe:

cyclinglady Grand Master

I use flour blends like Pamela's too. I just convert gluten recipes over to gluten-free. I have not made yeast breads though. During this past year, I have tried to keep it simple. I just did not have the energy. Now that I do,I am catching up on home projects and sewing in my spare time.

mendylou Rookie

Does anyone have a favorite gluten free cookbook, website or blog that they use for recipes?  I have tried to recipes from glutenfreegoddess and both were so good.  I grabbed 2 cookbooks at the library.  1 had no pictures...I'm super visual so I took that right back.  The other has yummy looking recipes, but everything with flour has 4-6 different flours/starches.  A bit overwhelming.

I have thru time used my own recipes and adjusted as I have tried them.  I have used Bob's mill all purpose baking flour.  That has seemed to work for me.  I live in a smaller town & do not have a lot of grocery options to choose from, but that one is available.

icelandgirl Proficient

I went to the store and bought a bunch of individual flours...maybe I should take them back and just get all purpose. I'm fairly sure I'm over thinking this.

cyclinglady Grand Master

No, you are not over thinking this. Different baked goods require different flour mixes to get the best results and some folks have allergies or intolerances so they might need to avoid ingredients like potato, etc. that are lumped into a flour mix.

For me, it was easier and I get good results for cobblers, cakes, cookies. I have not attempted bake bread because 1) I baked all my own bread prior to my dx and 2) I still remember really good bread and 3) it taken me a long time to feel up to baking after all the cooking I have to do!

cayrien Newbie

In terms of blogs, I really like Elana's Pantry ( Open Original Shared Link ) and Gluten Free on a Shoestring Open Original Shared Link ) for recipes and inspiration. Both of these lovely ladies also have cookbooks available. I also frequent a lot of paleo/primal cooking blogs (which are popping up everywhere now) as all the recipes are gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

I was tired of mixing flours for different recipes. I had little bags all over the place... and they are pricey! I went to Better Batter flour which already contains xanthan gum. It's all I use and I love it!! I also use Pamela's bread mix and my fave is Namaste pizza crust mix.

icelandgirl Proficient

I was tired of mixing flours for different recipes. I had little bags all over the place... and they are pricey! I went to Better Batter flour which already contains xanthan gum. It's all I use and I love it!! I also use Pamela's bread mix and my fave is Namaste pizza crust mix.

Thanks for that info. I went out and bought like 5 different flours plus xanthan gum. It was ridiculously expensive. I don't think I will do that again.
LauraTX Rising Star

There are so many cooking blogs that I semi regularly follow, some gluten-free and some not.  The place I find the most new blogs at is actually on facebook- someone I already follow will post something from somewhere else, and I go to the source and realize I like it.  A lot of the gluten-free organizations will post stuff from bloggers as well, so if you use facebook go like all the celiac stuff you can find and you can get some great information that way.

When I was first diagnosed, I went to my local library and checked out every book that had to do with being gluten-free and combed through them all.  My city library is connected to a larger area where you can go on the catalog and request a book from somewhere else.  It really helped me when I first started out because some of those books would have been a waste of time and money.  Others were better.  

My favorite food blog actually isnt a gluten-free blog, but it has great basic cooking stuff on there that tends to stay on the healthier but realistic side.  Open Original Shared Link

A lot of the gluten-free blogs seem to have a ton of advertisement and product promotion so I don't really have one that stands out.  I have facebook set up to show all their posts to my newsfeed and I will go read if they post something interesting.

blmoreschi Apprentice

We went gluten-free last April due to my daughter's celiac diagnosis, and I, too, was very confused about the flour blends. It seems that every cookbook I bought or checked out of the library called for something different. My suggestion is to find a book you like and go with that blend to start - either a purchased one they recommend or one you blend yourself.

My first best purchase was 1000 Gluten Free recipes by Carol Fenster. It's my "go to' for all sorts of things, from marinades to funnel cake batter! Everything we tried from there was good.

Then I purchased a bunch of Jules Gluten Free Flour and used that in any recipe, and it was good.

Then I discovered GlutenFreeOnAShoestring.com and everything I have made from there is WONDERFUL!  She recommends mostly Better Batter flour blend, but provides "copycat" flour mix recipes. She came out with a Bakes Bread cookbook in December that has changed our lives. I made baguettes last night, and they were fabulous!

So....my best advice is to find one cookbook author/blog you like and go with that. It's so confusing otherwise...

cyclinglady Grand Master

Store the flours and the Xanthan gum in airtight containers and it will last you a long time!

Ginsou Explorer

Store the flours and the Xanthan gum in airtight containers and it will last you a long time!

Especially when stored in the refrigerator, or better yet, the freezer.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Here are some of my favorite blogs: someone mentioned Elana's Pantry - love her site because all her recipes are easy and don't require a lot of ingredients (she does usually only use one flour).  Www.Lillianstestkitchen.com has fun cooking videos.  I also love www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com.  It's not strictly gluten free but most of her recipes have the adjustments listed.  Couple others: www.realsustenance.com, www.paleomg.com, and www.detoxinista.com, www.spunkycoconut.com.

Like others have said, I really like Pamela's baking mixes.  I used one in my bread machine today and it came out amazing.  Also use her muffin mix a lot.  I get them in bulk from Amazon. 

For cookbooks, I use all of Elana's Pantry a lot.  I also really like Paleo Indulgences.  

icelandgirl Proficient

Here are some of my favorite blogs: someone mentioned Elana's Pantry - love her site because all her recipes are easy and don't require a lot of ingredients (she does usually only use one flour). Www.Lillianstestkitchen.com has fun cooking videos. I also love www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com. It's not strictly gluten free but most of her recipes have the adjustments listed. Couple others: www.realsustenance.com, www.paleomg.com, and www.detoxinista.com, www.spunkycoconut.com.

Like others have said, I really like Pamela's baking mixes. I used one in my bread machine today and it came out amazing. Also use her muffin mix a lot. I get them in bulk from Amazon.

For cookbooks, I use all of Elana's Pantry a lot. I also really like Paleo Indulgences.

Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm going to take a look at these today.
motheroftwins2010 Rookie

The Dairy-free and Gluten-free Kitchen by Denise Jardine is amazing! I like that nothing processed is called for but if you have a milk sub you buy or stock you purchase and like you can use it and its full of great tasting recipes even my non gluten-free fammily loves it!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Especially when stored in the refrigerator, or better yet, the freezer.

Thanks! I forgot to include freezer! My big freezer in the garage is one of the best investments I have made!

cahill Collaborator

Even after all this time gluten free I keep it very very simple.

I stick with mostly paleo/ simple ( meaning very few  basic ingredients ) recpies

I am intolerant of so many things buying  pre mixed flours is not an option

Food for life organic rice tortillas are about as fancy as I get :P:D

Do I miss bread/pastrys /ect... some times but my reaction is so severe  that I do not risk my health

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

I did the same thing as you when I was first diagnosed . . . got a bunch of gluten-free cookbooks from the library.  The ingredient lists were crazy long and included all kinds of flours . . . it felt more like a science experiment than a recipe.

I found many more "friendly" recipes in Paleo cookbooks and even Low Carb cookbooks . . . 

I use Pamela's blend for general cooking (and pancakes) and I use Betty Crocker mixes when I want a baked dessert.  Otherwise, we now have more puddings, cheesecakes, and things like that for dessert.

If you use a crockpot, the "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" cookbooks are GREAT.  Every recipe just happens to be gluten free because the author's daughter has Celiac.  They don't have any weird ingredients in it at all.

The most annoying thing is the gluten-free cookbooks that have recipes for things like "grilled cheese sandwich" (use gluten-free bread!) and lasagna (use gluten-free noodles!)   Who can't figure that out?  I want recipes that just happen to be gluten free . . .

icelandgirl Proficient

I did the same thing as you when I was first diagnosed . . . got a bunch of gluten-free cookbooks from the library.  The ingredient lists were crazy long and included all kinds of flours . . . it felt more like a science experiment than a recipe. I found many more "friendly" recipes in Paleo cookbooks and even Low Carb cookbooks . . .  I use Pamela's blend for general cooking (and pancakes) and I use Betty Crocker mixes when I want a baked dessert.  Otherwise, we now have more puddings, cheesecakes, and things like that for dessert. If you use a crockpot, the "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" cookbooks are GREAT.  Every recipe just happens to be gluten free because the author's daughter has Celiac.  They don't have any weird ingredients in it at all. Open Original Shared Link The most annoying thing is the gluten-free cookbooks that have recipes for things like "grilled cheese sandwich" (use gluten-free bread!) and lasagna (use gluten-free noodles!)   Who can't figure that out?  I want recipes that just happen to be gluten free . . .

Thanks for all the info...great ideas. I bought a bunch of flours and I don't even know what to do with them. Millet...Quinoa...Coconut and potato starch. And all I ever use is the all purpose.

Archived