arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Being Pressured Into Eating Gluten/ Gluten Addiction?

gluten food bread budget relatives will addiction

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 raisinflames

raisinflames

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hello there,

I am a DH sufferer and have been (mostly) gluten-free for the past couple of years.  However, I find it extremely easy to slip into eating it every now and then, especially since I do not get any extreme gastric problems, it is just my skin that suffers, and in any case it looks much better now than it did when I just got diagnosed.  Nevertheless, it bothers me, and ultimately I want to be breakout-free.  Yet there are so many obstacles to this, like all the relatives and friends not understanding why I would refuse to eat bread, cakes, etc and sometimes taking it as a personal insult if I do not try their cooking.  In addition, I am between jobs now and struggling to get enough money for rent, so I often can't afford the more expensive gluten-free options and sometimes I just forget that a certain candy contains gluten.  I was wondering a) if anyone has good tips on how to deal with relatives who are unsympathetic (my mother is still convinced my skin issues are results of a drug eruption/scratching, even though I have been off Adderall and painkillers for at least a year now), and B) How do I deal with my own "addiction"/indifference/weak will when it comes to certain tempting foods?  I am doing much better now, but still slip every now and then and end up feeling guilty and that the money I spend on all the gluten-free foods is wasted, since my diet ends up contaminated anyways. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

You have Celiac disease. Even if you don't feel it, gluten causes damage. Here is some info for them & you from real Celiac experts.

http://www.curecelia...guide/treatment

http://www.curecelia...erpetiformis-dh

As for gluten-free food being expensive- you don't have to eat gluten-free cookies & breads. Lots of regular food is gluten free - rice, beans, meat, fruit, veggies, Chex cereal, tortilla chips, many Frito Lay products, peanut butter, nuts, etc

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

5 out of 4 people struggle with math.

math-problem-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

I just read your other posts - apparently you have not been diagnosed with DH or Celiac? It might be hard for people to take a self diagnosis seriously. What you chose to do, is your business - with or without a diagnosis. If you think gluten-free makes you feel better, then do it. But, not having a diagnosis might make it hard for you to really get into the gluten-free diet, too. It's only natural.

Edited by kareng, 06 April 2014 - 05:46 PM.

LTES

#4 raisinflames

raisinflames

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

Thank you kareng, I really am not a believer in gluten-related diagnoses because I've read that sometimes a person might have DH or Celiac but all tests run negative.  I basically am reasoning this way: if it looks like DH, feels like DH, the biopsy results are consistent with DH, and gluten-free diet helps to clean it up, it MUST be DH.  However, not everyone follows that line of reasoning :(

Thank you for the list of possible foods, but my issue isn't even being tempted to buy cookies instead of chips at a gas station, it is more of when I am at my grandma's house watching my son on a cold rainy day (so we can't even go to a store) and there is no food available except some bread and cookies, sooner or later I would be tempted to eat some.  Or I would test the soup temperature for my son (who is not on gluten-free diet unfortunately), and inadvertently would consume some gluten.  Or I would order sushi and forget that most soy sauces contain wheat.  I even bought my own bottle of gluten-free soy sauce that I plan to use every time I eat sushi, and try to bring gluten-free snacks everywhere I go, but that is still not a 100% gluten-free diet.

#5 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Thank you kareng, I really am not a believer in gluten-related diagnoses because I've read that sometimes a person might have DH or Celiac but all tests run negative.  I basically am reasoning this way: if it looks like DH, feels like DH, the biopsy results are consistent with DH, and gluten-free diet helps to clean it up, it MUST be DH.  However, not everyone follows that line of reasoning :(

Thank you for the list of possible foods, but my issue isn't even being tempted to buy cookies instead of chips at a gas station, it is more of when I am at my grandma's house watching my son on a cold rainy day (so we can't even go to a store) and there is no food available except some bread and cookies, sooner or later I would be tempted to eat some.  Or I would test the soup temperature for my son (who is not on gluten-free diet unfortunately), and inadvertently would consume some gluten.  Or I would order sushi and forget that most soy sauces contain wheat.  I even bought my own bottle of gluten-free soy sauce that I plan to use every time I eat sushi, and try to bring gluten-free snacks everywhere I go, but that is still not a 100% gluten-free diet.

As a Celiac, I take responsibility for what I eat and making sure there is something I can have. I bring food with me if needed. I guess, it I had to test a kid's soup, I would drip it on my wrist or use a thermometer. Honestly, I wouldn't feed my small child only cookies or bread. It sounds like you should bring him food, too, when he visits grandma.

LTES

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Hi Raisin!

You are close...but with celiac we have to be conscious of every item that enters our mouth. Period. Always.

It is ultimately your choice...there is a way out of every situation where gluten may be present.  Find it.

Regardless of your celiac testing history -- if you are aware of severe gluten intolerance, your children should be tested regularly.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#7 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

And my point on the food is that gluten-free does not need to be expensive - that was one of your excuses for not following a gluten-free diet.

LTES

#8 raisinflames

raisinflames

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

I am sorry if it feels that I was complaining, I am not, I am wondering more about my own will power.  I find gluten almost as addictive as cigarettes for some reason.  As for my child, I believe he was tested not so long ago and the tests came out negative.  Also, there is food for HIM at home that I do not touch, like fruits, soups, meats, etc.  I also bring my own food but sometimes I bring too little I guess?  Perhaps what I should is stock up pantry there with gluten-free foods specifically for myself, so I would not have to worry about finding something when I come over.

#9 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

I am sorry if it feels that I was complaining, I am not, I am wondering more about my own will power. I find gluten almost as addictive as cigarettes for some reason. As for my child, I believe he was tested not so long ago and the tests came out negative. Also, there is food for HIM at home that I do not touch, like fruits, soups, meats, etc. I also bring my own food but sometimes I bring too little I guess? Perhaps what I should is stock up pantry there with gluten-free foods specifically for myself, so I would not have to worry about finding something when I come over.

Once again - you don't need gluten-free specialty foods. Eat the meat and fruit. But you said when you visit Grandma, she has nothing but cookies and bread. That isn't good for your child, either. Eat before you visit? Bring a little snack for everyone? Bring food for you and the child?

Really, it's up to you to chose. We can offer suggestions, but if you don't want to take a little extra effort..... Well...then there isn't anything else to say. You need to be committed to the diet.

LTES

#10 raisinflames

raisinflames

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

Um, that is exactly why I posted on this forum- to get more suggestions.  I am not complaining or bitching about my condition, I am trying to find new ways to deal with it and asking people with more experience to help.  You do not need to attack me as if I am disagreeing with you.

#11 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

I've been reading along and I do not see an attack.

Perhaps...re-read and re-phrase your thoughts.  There are many members ready and willing to answer your questions.

Hang in there :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#12 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,841 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

Um, that is exactly why I posted on this forum- to get more suggestions.  I am not complaining or bitching about my condition, I am trying to find new ways to deal with it and asking people with more experience to help.  You do not need to attack me as if I am disagreeing with you.

Sorry if you feel that way. I'm not really into the " oh, you poor baby! Of course you have no choice but to harm yourself and eaten gluten".

I have made a few suggestions-
Take responsibility for your own food
Bring food with you
gluten-free food doesn't not have to be expensive - you do not have to buy " gluten-free" replacement foods.
Find another way to test the kid's food - thermometer, your wrist, etc
And the main one- decide to take control of your own food choices. If eating a food makes you feel bad in some way, don't eat it.

LTES

#13 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

have you considered this to be a side effect from the meds you are not taking now>  a rash is a side effect of Adderall.  maybe you are affected by withdrawal.  good luck!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Hi Raisin,

Sometimes with issues like these where you are torn between actions and having problems with self control, talking with a professional can help.  A psychologist, social worker, or therapist can talk through these issues with you and won't prescribe meds like a psychiatrist does.  If you lack health insurance or the financial resources for this, there are places that do these at a reduced or no cost.  Sometimes they are through churches or universities, or just individual practitioners that slot time for those who can't pay.  In my local area there is a seminary that also has a social work school and they have their last year masters students do free sessions.  If you aren't sure where to find a place like this, you can do an internet search for like, "free counseling -city-" or find your local MHMR office (usually ran by local or state govt) and they will be able to point you in the right direction.

When people see you "cheat" on your diet they are definitely going to take you less seriously.  If you want to do a kind of a "reset point"  just tell the people you are around and who display these behaviors, that you have still been having problems with your DH rash, and after talking with your doctor you have realized you should be a lot more strict than you have.  They don't need to know you didn't see a doctor-just a way to get them off your back. 

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:50 AM

When people see you "cheat" on your diet they are definitely going to take you less seriously.  

I think this is a really important point.  The only way to do this is cold turkey. If you've quit other things, you're strong enough to quit this.  And it's very important that you see your reasons for not following the gluten-free diet strictly, and even for how you're interpreting the help that others here are offering, as part of the classic denial and reasoning that comes with addiction.  Not that you are addicted to gluten - believing that will only make you more likely to slip, and I've never heard of a true gluten addiction - just that it gives you yet another reason to think that you can't do this.  

Bring fruit, rice, gluten-free soup whatever to your mom's.  Buy whole gluten-free foods to save money, clean ALL the gluten out of your house for a while (sounds like you might need to do this, your son will be fine eating gluten-free foods) and tell yourself you can do this and no excuses will be accepted.  Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: