This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vent: My Coworkers Are Getting Pizza During A Working Meeting And I Have To Bring My Own Lunch

steveindenver

steveindenver Contributor

This is one of those times I hate being gluten free. Next Wednesday, I am going to be trapped in a conf. room where everyone is eating pizza, but I have to bring my own lunch, as the one place I suggested that COULD accomodate me is not in our price range for work (which it is, but they're being cheap right now). Since it's a working session, I can't just leave and go get my own food. I am so frustrated at this situation and am pissed off. They're so cheap on this but they're recarpeting and repainting the entire office right now. Whatever.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

In situations like this.........I say..........Make them jealous!!!! :D

Take something wonderful for your lunch. Yes it stinks that you can't eat pizza, yea it stinks that you have to smell it and be around it, SO make them want YOUR lunch :)

Take a steak

Take shrimp cocktail

Make your own gluten free pizza with tons of yummy toppings and tons of cheese.

Make a huge salad filled with tons of veggies.

Take something to make them want YOUR food :) I hope you enjoy your food revenge haha

-Jessica :rolleyes:

THAT'S A GREAT IDEA! And that lifted my spirits, so thank you. It does bite though that I have to "pay" still for my own lunch and everyone else gets a free lunch out of it. Oh well, not much I can do about that. But I love the jealousy idea.

angel-jd1 Community Regular
THAT'S A GREAT IDEA! And that lifted my spirits, so thank you.

You are most welcome........let me know what you decide to take :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest nini

bring up the fact to management that it's not fair that the others get a free lunch while you don't get a choice in the matter. It's a medical reason and they are discriminating against you. So, if they won't offer to pay for your lunch as well, they shouldn't pay for anyone's lunch. Just my opinion! My former boss used to pull this crap. Working meetings with pizza... I refused to come to the meetings. Of course I also eventually got fired, but oh well, I didn't need to be there in an unsupportive environment. Also anytime they had a "business lunch" I found excuses not to go. I don't think it's fair for them to deliberately pick places that were not accomodating to my dietary needs, I felt very discriminated against and excluded.

Nantzie Collaborator

Make sure you bring something for dessert too... It doesn't even have to taste that good. You just have to make it LOOK like it does.

:P:P:P

I love food revenge....

MWA-HAHAHAHAAAA....!!!

Nancy

tarnalberry Community Regular

Eh... I have this happen *ALL* the time. It falls in the "life isn't fair" category. And it's not like it affects only celiacs. But yeah, it's a good time to bring something FABULOUS and make pizza look like the cop-out it is. :) (If I could email you a slice of pumpkin pie, you could take that too. :) )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Steve

Love the idea of 'making them jealous'

You said there was a place that you could have gone to but they were too cheap?

WELL....I think you should 'splurge' for yourself and see if this place will deliver and when their pizza comes..so will yours..Maybe the place will even do free delivery for you if they think they might get the next order??? hummmm. I think at times like this we are worth the extra $$ to make us feel 'special' -- in a good kind of way.. Who knows..the boss may just like what your ordering better and 'flip' for the resturant next time.

please let us know how it goes. I will be really interested to hear

Good luck

Judy in Philly

Gamecreature Rookie

I know I'd be steamed, too. If it were me, I'd talk to my manager and let them know how you felt. Judging by their response, you might need to decide if your skills would be better appreciated somewhere else. I can't stand it when a company takes their employees for granted. :angry:

Lisa Mentor

When I have a business/lunch meeting, I stop by McD's and pick up the apple/yogurt dip and pitch the walnuts., and a drink.

Lunch out today was funny. New place my daughter and her friend went to. I ordered a salad with no bread what so ever, on my plate!!! When she delivered it, "here you go, totally no carb meal". My daughter, said "close, but no cigar!". :)

happygirl Collaborator

steveindenver,

like others on here, this is a regular occurence for me. it used to upset me, now I don't care. I'm just happy that I know I can eat and still function in the afternoon by eating MY food--then I don't have to worry at ALL. I always bring something yummy-and lots of it! so I don't go hungry. And lots of snacks. Casseroles, homemade mac and cheese, homemade chili, tacos, shrimp---so many yummy options! You can definitely do it and then you'll feel more in control by doing it (at least, I did!) Plus, I don't know about you, but I'm one of those "extremely" sensitive ones---if there was a crumb of gluten I would get sick...EVEN if there was a gluten free option, I wouldn't even risk it, because it was too big of a risk to try while I'm at work. I look at it like this: Option 1-no chance of getting sick because I prepared my own food, and so I can work and function like everyone else. Option 2-small to large chance of getting sick on food prepared by someone else....the thought of getting sick while at work is my worst nightmare, so this thought process ALWAYS worked for me.

It is strange to start with-I agree! I had a hard time at first. If anyone asked (beyond those who worked with me every day and already knew) I said I have food intolerances and I bring my own food so I don't get sick. End of story! I just started a new job and have already survived two lunches, a "get together" with cake, and am preparing for an all day work-meeting on Thurs, etc.

I hope it works out for you!

Laura

teebs in WV Apprentice

I work at a manufacturing plant that is in a remote location, so the only food options are pizza and subs. I am used to it - the food always sucked anyway! The stuff I bring from home is much better :P

skoki-mom Explorer

steveindenver, I totally feel your pain. In my case, it's never a company paid for lunch (I'm a nurse), but my staff room is full of gluteny "gifts" that I never get to touch. The neonatologists often bring in donuts/pastries on the weekends. The staffroom is full of sandwiches on Thursday afternoons after teaching rounds. Everytime a fellow leaves, the attending orders pizza on that shift for the entire staff. One of the charge RN's always orders from a local burger drive-in (and one of my all-time-favourite-if-there-was-ever-a-cure-I'd-run-there-as-fast-as-my-legs-could-carry-me) when she is in charge on Sunday day shift. We often have cakes when someone is working on therr birthday. I have become pretty good at shoving it to the back of my mind and trying to just pretend the food doesn't exist. Most of the time it really does not bother me too much, especially the baked stuff. Weirdly, pizza was never one of my favourite foods, it was ok once in awhile, and I really don't miss it that much, but when you get the SMELL OF PIZZA permeating a small room, OMG, it drives me crazy. I just don't go near the staff room. I can barely stand it.

Though in credit to my co-workers (who are obviously RN's, MD's, and RT's), they are at least understanding about it and don't give me a hard time. The last time the pizza arrived (purchased on night shift by a fellow on his last shift), it arrived in the staff room just as my break was up. So, I gratefully got up and left. He came and tracked me down in the unit and asked me to come have some pizza, so I told him I can't eat pizza, I have celiac disease. He didn't know that and actually offered to order me something else! I must confess, I didn't especially like this guy, but I pretty near started crying on the spot at the gesture. I told him that was awfully kind but take out food and gluten free really don't go well together. But, once again, it proves my point that, for me at least, celiac disease is not so much about food as it is about feeling socially isolated.

I hope everyone's pizza sucks!

I agree, take a steak covered in sauteed garlic mushrooms, a giant baked potato and a wicked side salad. Then send the bill to management!

gabby Enthusiast

Here's my 2 cents.

Don't ASK the boss if it is okay to not pitch in to pay for lunch.

TELL him/her that you won't be pitching in since you cannot eat the food being purchased, but that at no cost to the company, you'll be bringing your own lunch and that you're very understanding about the company not having to pay for your special needs and that you appreciate working at a company that understands these kinds of things because lots of other companies and bosses would make a bid deal out of a single lunch.

This accomplishes several things. First off, you are in control. You are also taking a potential mountain and turning it into a little molehill. You are identifying a problem...and also providing a solution that makes everyone happy. You are making the boss feel good and proud about being accomadating to you, and it makes you feel good about being a part of the team instead of being singled out.

Of course, this should be done with a smile and a happy tone. Make sure you catch the boss at some point this week (well before the lunch), and make it pretty quick and casual. Practice how you are going to say this so the whole thing comes out of your mouth in less than 20 seconds...so you can then say: Anyways, just wanted to square that up with you and say thanks......and then LEAVE (go back to your desk, or run to the bathroom. anything....so they don't have the chance to ask too many questions)

That's it. Hope it helps.

But, once again, it proves my point that, for me at least, celiac disease is not so much about food as it is about feeling socially isolated.

I agree - it is about feeling socially isolated at times. But I think that food and social go hand in hand unfortunately. We are having a big party at home this weekend, and we are making lots of stuff I can eat, but I was sad walking through Costco last weekend, saying NO to things my partner wanted to buy for our guests, simply because I can't eat them. Which isn't how I want to be in life. Halloween Day is HUGE in our office, and every dept. is "required" to bring in two entrees, a side and dessert. Of course, I can eat NOTHING unless I bring my own in and I will be damned if I am cooking an entree for 30 people since I can't eat their food. Besides that fact that we have 30 people here and will have so much food it'll be ridiculous. Just me being petty, which I need to do on this one. Last night driving home, I even thought about calling in sick that day, which would entirely ruin our department's group costume, since I am a key player. But I don't want to be that person.

As for the pizza issue and talking with my bosses - my company and coworkers are good people, trust me there. The company overall itself is an amazing place, and the fact I work here is a gift from above and I will never work in another place like this again. The way we do treat our employees overall, and our customers, astounds me. But, it's this one instance where my boss is being the control freak she is, and has to have lunch figured out yesterday for a meeting that's a week away. And even though I provided her with gluten free options of places nearby, she opted to go elsewhere. The great thing is, when I got home, my partner had the same thoughts as others on here - let's pack me a gourmet lunch and make others jealous. I will let it be known, in time, that it was an issue and I think since I've skipped the past few birthday cake meetings in the conf. room, eventually they'll get the idea.

This message board is a lifesaver at times in terms of connecting with others going through these same issues. Sigh...

On the opposite end of jealosy hunting, I've had a few occasions where I was just FAAAR to busy to put anything together for a lunch, so, when the meeting came up, I sat there with nothing to eat while everyone else had their pizza. They'd ask "don't you want some pizza?" and I'd say I couldn't have it. They say "aren't you hungry?" and I'd say "yeah, but I didn't have any time with this crunch to make something particular I could bring here, so I'll eat when I get home tonight". There would usually be the "why" question, and I'd say "because I'm gluten and dairy intolerant, all of this food will make me quite sick for about a week and just having the soda will give me a blood sugar crash."

They'd usually look a bit sorry and low. Like "oh, um, we suck 'cause we didn't even really try to make sure she could eat anything." I wouldn't trust anything anyone ordered for me anyway, so I don't really push the issue.

aaascr Apprentice

Ah yes, the work environment!

Even with my food allergies for 5

years my boss would take me (I am

the only one in the front office/showroom)

and perhaps someone (from the work area)

out to eat for a working lunch several

times a week. Once diagnosed with

celiac - I would bring my own food-

but whether my boss was embarrassed

or whatever, he just stopped taking

me (others still go) with no explanation.

Meanwhile, he likes to buy "bagged/boxed

office snacks and drinks".

He used to purchase them

at Kroger (there were a few things in the

health food section that I could have)

but now has decided

to go to Publix, where there really isn't

anything I can eat. Since I bring in my

own food it is not an issue. But he always

calls me from the store at least once a week and asks,

"are there any snacks that you want from

Publix?" and I reply every time, "no, they

don't have anything that I can eat there."

I get the perverbial "oh yeah" - like this is

new or something....

My attitude is: what goes around. comes around.

Meanwhile I don't sweat the small stuff..... B)

Guest nini

Publix actually has quite a few things you can eat, all you have to do is call their corporate office and they will send you a list of their Publix brand products that are naturally gluten-free, even including deli items.

Oh it gets better...my boss just came to my office door and said, "What kind of pizza do you think I should order for Wednesday?". I told her, "You're asking gluten-boy (my nickname here) who can't eat any? I really don't care." She said, "Oh I know you can't but I thought you'd be good to bounce this off of." So I said, "Veggie and pepperoni". So she reads off her selections and I respond, "Again, on behalf of people that can't eat pizza, that sounds fine." And went back to working on my computer. THE NERVE OF HER! She is coming to my party on Saturday night. I should make sure something sits out for DAYS before hand and give her that to eat so she gets food poisoning.

Oh it gets better...my boss just came to my office door and said, "What kind of pizza do you think I should order for Wednesday?". I told her, "You're asking gluten-boy (my nickname here) who can't eat any? I really don't care." She said, "Oh I know you can't but I thought you'd be good to bounce this off of." So I said, "Veggie and pepperoni". So she reads off her selections and I respond, "Again, on behalf of people that can't eat pizza, that sounds fine." And went back to working on my computer. THE NERVE OF HER! She is coming to my party on Saturday night. I should make sure something sits out for DAYS before hand and give her that to eat so she gets food poisoning.

I think it's time you had a talk with her, because she's either completely stupid when it comes to human interaction, or playing some sort of head game. Of course, the appropriate response is for you to not give her an answer - "I haven't eaten pizza in so long, I couldn't tell you." and "Well, I'm not a good person to bounce this off of, and I'd prefer you stop asking me and ask someone who isn't excluded from these events due to health reasons." are perfectly acceptable responses. If she persists, talk to HR about it.

Guest nini

she sounds dense.

jerseyangel Proficient

If that dosen't beat all <_<

TriticusToxicum Explorer
she sounds dense.

Sounds like management material to me!

jesscarmel Enthusiast

i can totally relate. this happens literally every day to me as our agency provides free lunch. so everyone is always eatiang pizza, pasta, all good stuff and i have my little lunch so im always eating something different from the 6 people i eat with. i just try to find the positive whihc is the free lunches are very greasy and at least i know im eating healthy food!

elye Community Regular

Wow, my sympathies, Steve...

You say you're very lucky to be working where you are, and the people are great. I'll believe that, but your boss sounds rather like a nasty piece of work. Or stupid. Neither is easy to live with in a work enviornment!

Archived