This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Review Of: Valencia Orange Cake From Starbucks

angel-jd1

lonewolf Collaborator

Does the wrapper have the ingredient list? I'm sure that it's hoping too much that they are also dairy free. I'm a teacher and often get Starbuck's gift cards as thank you gifts and such. I don't like coffee, so I've never used a penny of any of the cards (I regift them or let my kids use them for hot cocoa). It would be nice to actually get to use a gift card for something that I can eat!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient
Does the wrapper have the ingredient list? I'm sure that it's hoping too much that they are also dairy free. I'm a teacher and often get Starbuck's gift cards as thank you gifts and such. I don't like coffee, so I've never used a penny of any of the cards (I regift them or let my kids use them for hot cocoa). It would be nice to actually get to use a gift card for something that I can eat!

Hi Liz--

Janetw posted this info earlier. It has the ingredients--

Open Original Shared Link

lonewolf Collaborator

Thanks Patti! I obviously missed reading a couple of posts. Wow, now I'm excited! My two gluten-free kids will be thrilled too.

Storm Apprentice
I thought they were supposed to be served in their wrappers, maybe they made a mistake and took them out?

There was one in its wrapper but the other 3 that were out were just open and on a plate. My girlfriend made sure I had the wrapped one first due to the risk of cross contamination and she had one of the pre-opened ones (but I couldn't help it and tried one of the pre-opened ones as well - like I said earlier, it was a lot drier than the wrapped one was).

Gemini Experienced
There was one in its wrapper but the other 3 that were out were just open and on a plate. My girlfriend made sure I had the wrapped one first due to the risk of cross contamination and she had one of the pre-opened ones (but I couldn't help it and tried one of the pre-opened ones as well - like I said earlier, it was a lot drier than the wrapped one was).

Any and all gluten-free baked goods dry our very, very quickly and add to that most do not add all those crappy preservatives and chemicals to keep them artificially fresh.

Unless something will be eaten in it's entirety in 24 hours, I store everything well wrapped in the fridge. keeps much longer that way. Gluten eaters do not know this! ;)

Jfourjules Newbie

I stopped at a Starbucks on Monday and was thrilled to see the gluten-free cake! I tried it and it was delicious. Very moist - you wouldn't be able to tell it was gluten-free.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I would also email starbucks corporate and let them know because the label in the link specifically says "Wrapped for gluten-free goodness". My guess is some of the stores will occassionally open them not fully understanding that they shouldn't. If corporate gets comments from us every time we run across this then they might find that they need to update their instructions to the stores. It's a test product so I'm sure many people are watching the feedback closely.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Storm Apprentice

We filled out a comment card but will also email corporate direct to let them know :)

jkmunchkin Rising Star
OK......

mixed reviews...

On our arrival, there was one cake wrapped in plastic that has come straight from the production line as such. My girlfriend had one that was unwrapped and on display in the cabinet.

The one in the wrapper tasted SO much fresher (I tasted both!!). It would appear that the ones on the plate have been there a bit longer as the top coating of orange was slightly harder to bite through, whereas the one wrapped in plastic, was fresh, light and very very tasty!

We left a feedback card stating the above and suggested that all the gluten-free cakes are always served in their individual wrappers. One thing we did notice was that the staff used the same tongs to remove the cakes from the plate on display as well as all other cakes that were available. Possible cross-contamination?

Overall, a lovely light beautiful cake, go try it!!!

They are supposed to only sell the pre-wrapped ones. Because this is a new item maybe there is a bit of a learning curve and the employees aren't aware of it yet (despite I think they've been told; but not everyone pays attention). When I went I specifically told the cashier I needed a packaged one. I plan to do that in the future as well. Saves me & then a few minutes of back & forth.

msmini14 Enthusiast

hehe I am going there to get a coffee on my way to the airport, going to get the cake then! I wonder if I can hold out until I pick up dh lol. Told him I would wait hehehe.

Jestgar Rising Star
hehe I am going there to get a coffee on my way to the airport, going to get the cake then! I wonder if I can hold out until I pick up dh lol. Told him I would wait hehehe.

:ph34r: You could have two...... :ph34r:

jerseyangel Proficient
:ph34r: You could have two...... :ph34r:

Yeah--one for now and one for later! And while you're at it, one for him, too!! :D

emcmaster Collaborator
So...between this cake and a hot, blended coffee or tea, we're looking at a 500 calorie snack?!?! :o Yikes! I applaud them for making this effort but it's doubtful

I will try one out. I usually get the Chai latte's and that contains honey and is sweet so that satisfies my sweet tooth. I also give them credit for packaging them separately as I wouldn't eat anything from their case. Someone at the head office is thinking clearly!

Perhaps I've been gluten-free for too long, but 290 calories for cake is really pretty reasonable. I can't recall ever seeing a slice of cake in my pre-gluten-free days that was less than that (unless it was clearly a reduced-calorie "diet" food).

angel-jd1 Community Regular
Perhaps I've been gluten-free for too long, but 290 calories for cake is really pretty reasonable. I can't recall ever seeing a slice of cake in my pre-gluten-free days that was less than that (unless it was clearly a reduced-calorie "diet" food).

I agree, 290 doesn't seem TOO bad, as long as it isn't an EVERYDAY type of snack :) I wish I had a starbucks closer. Closest one is a 40 min drive!!!! It's probably best though, or I would be eating too much cake!! ha

-Jessica

Tim-n-VA Contributor

My philosopny is that there is no such thing as junk food. There is such a thing as a junk diet. Any single item means little unless considered in context of what else you ate that day, week, month, etc.

How many calories if I take that orange cake home, warm it up and put vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce on it?

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Check out this link: Open Original Shared Link. It shows the cakes being made.

lovegrov Collaborator

You can eat just half of it at a time.

richard

TrillumHunter Enthusiast
My philosopny is that there is no such thing as junk food. There is such a thing as a junk diet. Any single item means little unless considered in context of what else you ate that day, week, month, etc.

How many calories if I take that orange cake home, warm it up and put vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce on it?

Well said and I agree to the first statements and yum, yum, yum to the second!

Storm Apprentice

My friend and I loved the cake so much, we are heading out to Starbucks again this morning for more!!!!

:P

emcmaster Collaborator
You can eat just half of it at a time.

richard

Other people might be able to. I cannot. :lol:

jerseyangel Proficient

We went to 3 Starbucks locations today (had lots of errands to do anyway) and every one of them were sold out of the cake :(

Chrissyb Enthusiast

My husband brought one home for my yesterday and I did enjoy it. My problem with Statbucks is with their new Soymilk, does anybody else have there mochas with soy and have a problem. I usually have a decafe mocha with soy and ever since they have changed the soymilk it make me sick.

Storm Apprentice

We went back today and enjoyed the Valencia Cake, this time is was still in its wrapper and my friend noticed a HUGE difference in taste since our last visit as she had one that was unwrapped.

As for the soy milk... I have a hot chocolate, no whipped cream, and made with soy milk and I actually think its lovely. I have certain intolerance's to soy but I am finding that the soy milk is fine as I have it at home as well.

Pennyb Rookie

Finally made it to Starbucks -- took my daughter, she had the gluten free cake, and I had blueberry coffeecake (full of gluten). I tried hers and actually thought it was better than mine.

jerseyangel Proficient

I finally got one!! :D The Starbucks right around the corner from us had them yesterday--should have gone there first!

It was really good--moist, good texture and flavor, and served in it's own wrapper. :)

Archived