19 replies to this topic

#16 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

"No thanks. I have food intolerances." That's my reply. (I'm in an area that's always been pretty good about not questioning the "intolerance" portion of that statement. If I were in an area that were different, I'd have no hesitations about lying and saying "allergies" instead.)

Face it, you cannot have 100% separation between work and personal life. Not only is it not possible unless you don't drive your own car to work, you always wear the same uniform, and you never put up a picture or take a personal call anywhere near a coworker. And if you really try to have as close to 100% separation between the two, you will likely find that you alienate your coworkers. Because people are social. They like to find common interests. So, if someone says "Do you have any hobbies?" and you just say "Nothing related to work", you're going to look aloof and weird.

I'm not saying you have to blend the two together completely! And nor do I mean to imply that the walking a line that makes you comfortable is easy! Far from it. But pick your battles and don't make situations harder on yourself by trying to keep a huge separation that might work better as a more moderated separation.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Michelle1234

Michelle1234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

My best tactic is to eat a huge meal before any type of potluck. That way when people ask why I'm not eating I can say "Oh, I just ate a huge meal and I'm stuffed". They can see on my face it is true. If I say I have food allergies everyone wants to know to what and what my reactions are.

I don't mind anyone knowing I can't eat gluten but it does get old after a while answering questions so sometimes I just don't mention it. Also some of the very well meaning people I know try to bring gluten free options but cross contamination is such a strong learning curve that we've all been through that it is unlikely that anyone gets it right on their first try. Nothing worse than having to run off because you got sick at a social event. Especially if it is the food served that made you sick. So I just avoid the food completely. I also follow the tip give above about treating it like a social situation where you move from table to table and not settle in at one where it is obvious that you aren't eating.

Good luck!
Michelle

#18 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

I think trying to avoid the topic brings more attention to it.

Saying you have food allergies, intolerances, celiac (however you wish to explain it) isn't like discussing the fight you got into your significant other the night before.

Yes, it's a little personal, but when I think of people that I know professionally but not personally, those types of things aren't really a big deal. I know one who is diabetic even though I don't even know if she's married or has kids, etc.
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

#19 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

I hear you all saying I will share, and I did share with one person. I will try being more forthcoming in the future. My experience has been bad with sharing my celiac with my school was I have been discriminated against. My professors said things from that my asking about what was being served at a lunch for new students (shortly after diagnosis and so I wasn't so aware of cross-contamination) was inappropriate (and having this written into my yearly review) to most recently being questioned about if I should be in the field I am in because of it when I went to talk to my practicum professor who is supposed to be the one who helps me deal with my job (it is an internship). I had to disclose my celiac to my supervisors at internship and they were supportive, but I am hesitant to tell others in case I need them to step in to help me and don't want them thinking that there is something that they will have to do all the time (as it isn't).

This is all so hard.

#20 lucky28

lucky28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

You all have some really good suggestions! At least once a week we have breakfast (bagels, do~nuts) brought in for our department and uaually 1 or 2 lunches as well. They are brought in by sales reps from suppliers we use, I usually keep busy (hide!). But that makes me feel like more of an outsider than I already am. So sometimes with the lunches I just make a plate then bring it home for my gluten eaters. I did have a conversation about my celiacs with one of the reps just after my diagnosis~next time he brought bagels AND a yogurt just for me! Lol~it wasn't gluten free~ but he tried!
I'm thinking about getting a box of gluten-free donuts to keep in the breakroom freezer so I can start being more social with my coworkers,
"They're my villi, and I need them NOW!"

Positive Biopsy- 08/11
Slightly positive tTG only- 06/11
Negative blood panel- 11/05
Diagnosed with IBS- 1981

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: