This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got A Turkey

bartfull

bartfull Rising Star

If you buy $25 worth of other stuff at one of my local stores, the turkeys are 78 cents a pound. I bought three loaves of Schar bread to make stuffing with, a container of chicken broth to add to the drippings for gravy, some potatoes, and a TWENTY-FIVE pound turkey!!!

Nope, I'm not having people over. It's all for me. I'll cook it, debone it, put packets in the freezer, and I won't have to cook for a LONG time.

I haven't been able to eat turkey for years because of the stuff they inject them with. A lot of them have corn. Now that I have gotten corn back I am going to pig out. Because my diet was so restricted I got used to eating the same thing day after day so it'll be a while before I get sick of it. When I do I can make a gluten-free lasagna for variety. Or I can get out some of that delicious sauerbraten that I put in the freezer. Or I can just have a bacon egg an cheese sandwich like I did this morning.

It is a whole new world for me. I never thought food could make a person so happy but I've been doing the happy dance all day. You know, I used to tell newbies (especially those with lots of other intolerances like I USED TO have, that it was easier if you just look at eating as a necessary bodily function. That made it easier than remembering and mourning the things I couldn't have anymore. But it got better. And my prayer for all of my multi-intolerant friends is that soon you too will all be better and be able to get it down to just gluten.

But right now I'm giddy with joy over a stupid turkey. And I'm not even ashamed of it. A great big stupid TWENTY-FIVE pound turkey!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BlessedMommy Rising Star

That's wonderful! How exciting that you are getting foods back! :)

shadowicewolf Proficient

If you buy $25 worth of other stuff at one of my local stores, the turkeys are 78 cents a pound. I bought three loaves of Schar bread to make stuffing with, a container of chicken broth to add to the drippings for gravy, some potatoes, and a TWENTY-FIVE pound turkey!!!

Nope, I'm not having people over. It's all for me. I'll cook it, debone it, put packets in the freezer, and I won't have to cook for a LONG time.

I haven't been able to eat turkey for years because of the stuff they inject them with. A lot of them have corn. Now that I have gotten corn back I am going to pig out. Because my diet was so restricted I got used to eating the same thing day after day so it'll be a while before I get sick of it. When I do I can make a gluten-free lasagna for variety. Or I can get out some of that delicious sauerbraten that I put in the freezer. Or I can just have a bacon egg an cheese sandwich like I did this morning.

It is a whole new world for me. I never thought food could make a person so happy but I've been doing the happy dance all day. You know, I used to tell newbies (especially those with lots of other intolerances like I USED TO have, that it was easier if you just look at eating as a necessary bodily function. That made it easier than remembering and mourning the things I couldn't have anymore. But it got better. And my prayer for all of my multi-intolerant friends is that soon you too will all be better and be able to get it down to just gluten.

But right now I'm giddy with joy over a stupid turkey. And I'm not even ashamed of it. A great big stupid TWENTY-FIVE pound turkey!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Nothing wrong with that :lol: I felt the same way when i got spinach back.

nvsmom Community Regular

:D  Awesome!  ...but I don't know if I would be as excited about getting spinach back. LOL  ;)  JK

mamaw Community Regular

happy for  you ...... I felt  the  same  way  after  I  got gluten-free  oatmeal. I  never  ate  a lot  of  oatmeal  prior to  my Dx's  but  just  knowing  there was  something  I  could not  have  then my body  wanted  it  so  bad...I still can  only eat  1/2 cup  maybe  twice a  month but  I  don't  crave  it  any longer.....enjoy enjoy enjoy....

bartfull Rising Star

Up one day, down the next. :angry:

Got a turkey yesterday and today my oven crapped out on me! Not knowing what's wrong with it or how much it'll cost to fix it, let alone if I can get someone out there to work on it before Sunday when the turkey will be thawed and ready to cook, I went this morning and bought one of those electric roasters.

I don't think the roaster is big enough so I'll probably have to cut the legs off to fit it in. Does anybody have experience using one of these roasters, and if so could you give me some hints about using it? Thanks.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I use a roaster and they cook fast. If I recall, our 20 pound turkey took about two hours to cook. So, use a thermometer is my best advice. Cut to fit.

I love my roaster! I use it on my back patio or in the garage . It frees up my oven for other foods on Thanksgiving. It is my summer oven. I use it to bake small batches of cookies or brownies or roast a chicken during the summer. Saves on the air conditioning bill. Just use a rack to lift the bird or keep the cookie sheet (if baking cookies) on the bottom of the roaster.

I have baked in my convection oven, regular oven and my roaster and everyone tells me my turkey is great!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

The corn-free gods are working against you. They don't want to let you go....  :ph34r:

bartfull Rising Star

I say THIS to the corn-free gods:  Open Original Shared Link

nvsmom Community Regular

:lol:  :D

mamaw Community Regular

The  electric  roaster  is all we  ever cook  our bird  in!!!! I  think you  will use it  many times....It  does  cook  a  bit  faster &  also  will cook  faster  without  the bird  being  stuffed....

Sorry  about  the  oven,  I  think we all have  days  like that..my mom  used  to say everything comes  in three's, I hope  not!!!

enjoy  the bird...

SMRI Collaborator

I love my electric roaster for turkey too!!

LauraTX Rising Star

Bah, you guys make me want to get an electric roaster!  Last year I had to play  musical oven spaces.... this year I just got a turkey breast roast to do, plus a small ham.

bartfull Rising Star

Good news! The oven is now working. I have a gas stove that runs on propane. The tanks outside are the side-by-side type that can't be filled from the truck. You have to take the tanks to them. Of course I can't do it so I had a friend do it. He simply didn't have the lever pushed all the way over so I wasn't getting any gas. I fixed that this morning.

I still have the roaster, but it wasn't big enough to cook a 25-plus pound turkey. I would have had to cut it up. Now I can cook it in the oven and use the roaster for the stuffing. I know I'll get a lot of use out of that roaster in the future, but I can't tell you how relieved I am to have my oven back!

julissa Explorer

I am so happy for you, what a great victory! I hope you enjoy the heck out of it

nvsmom Community Regular

Excellent news!  :)

mamaw Community Regular

a win win for  you keep the roaster  as it  is good for many things....we  have  even baked  sweets  in it  when  we  had  no gas for the oven......

bartfull Rising Star

And I got it on sale for only thirty bucks. :)

Archived