This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Canadians?

EMSPrincess

Rachiebaby Newbie

I live in Regina and we have a store here called Old Fashion Foods. I was just there this morning and they have an amazing selection of Gluten-Free products. I'm going to see how I am at making gluten free potato flour bread tomm! If there is anyone close to Regina..definitely check it out.

Also, I'm trying to figure out if MSG is safe in Canada?? All the info on the site is for MSG in the US..but nothing on Canadialand. Any ideas... (yes I know MSG is the devil LOL..but I like Campbell's Fat Free Chicken Broth and it has MSG in it)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
psawyer Proficient

Canadian MSG is no different than American MSG. It is not a source of gluten, but nevertheless many people react adversely to it. Personally, I don't worry about it.

daisey Newbie

I love Lakefield Bakery. Their pizza crust is the best, their bread is delicious and egg free...Check it out. You won't be disappointed

Canadian too--Brooklin, Ontario--I think there is a bakery in Lakefield that sells gluten-free products :) Email me if I can be of any help. L.A.
  • 3 weeks later...
mom-to-claire Apprentice

I'm do not have Celiac but my one year daughter might. I'm still so overwhelmed with everything and the unknown. She has other health issues but we don't have any concrete answers. We are in Stouffville, Ontario (north of Toronto, near Markham!)

• 2 weeks later...
mtdawber Apprentice

Hi all, I joined this forum a few weeks ago and I have been reading and asking questions. I just got DX on December 20 for DH and have serious GI issues. I don't get to see the Gastroenterologist until April...

I know this thread is a bit old but I thought it was so neat how close some people are. I live in Keswick, ON....not far from Bowmanville, Brooklin, Stouffville or Toronto for that matter.

I sent in for the forms to the Canadian Celiac Association. Is anyone else a member? Do you guys go to the conference at all or meetings? What are some good restauarants that you have found to be safe? Sorry for all the questions - I seem to have more questions than answers right now... :lol:

Viola 1 Rookie

Hi Tanya, I used to be a member. Make sure you get a restaurant card, and get it laminated so it stays clean <_< It can get really grubby going back and forth to kitchesn.

Also get a gluten pocket dictionary from there. Hopefully they will send you one. It really is a good little book to have.

I only went to one meeting in Kelowna, and that's over 4 hours drive from here. But it was worth going. So if you get a chance, take in as much as you can :D

lorka150 Collaborator

I'm a member and attended the conference last year. I go to my local meetings, too. I never eat at restaurants, personally. Welcome here!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Stefania Newbie

hi, my name is Stefania and I'm from Italy. You will pardon me if i make some mistakes but my english is not very strong and this is the first time I join a forum. :D

A friend of mine is going to stay in canada, in guelph, for six months and she is celiac. Does anyone here know some shops in which she could buy free gluten food, in guelph or toronto?

Thank you for your help, she is really worried... :( here in Italy doctors have told her that she must bring food with her...or send it to Canada...but I think that this solution is too expensive, isn't it?

Ps: Please tell me all the mistakes i have made...I am trying to improve my english... ;)

Viola 1 Rookie
hi, my name is Stefania and I'm from Italy. You will pardon me if i make some mistakes but my english is not very strong and this is the first time I join a forum. :D

A friend of mine is going to stay in canada, in guelph, for six months and she is celiac. Does anyone here know some shops in which she could buy free gluten food, in guelph or toronto?

Thank you for your help, she is really worried... :( here in Italy doctors have told her that she must bring food with her...or send it to Canada...but I think that this solution is too expensive, isn't it?

Ps: Please tell me all the mistakes i have made...I am trying to improve my english... ;)

Hi Stefania;

I can't help you with Guelph, as I live way across the country. However, there are several people here from Ont. that will be able to help you. And I know that there is lots of places in Guelph and Toronto that your friend will be able to get gluten free food.

I'm sure the Ontario people will be on later today or in the morning and will give you names for her. She won't have to ship food anyway :D

Good for you coming on to help your friend. You are doing very well with your English! It's nice to have you here.

lorka150 Collaborator

Hello Stefania. That's my gramma's name and my confirmation name - I love it! Your English is superb.

I used to live quite close to Guelph, and luckily, a lot of the mainstream stores carry gluten-free things. In addition, most foods are naturally gluten-free, so she is in luck! :) I know there is a member or two from Guelph, which I am sure might have a few other specific stores in mind.

Toronto has a million places, but she will find what she needs in that area. How long is she staying? I am sure we can help her.

• 2 weeks later...
Prairie Girl Apprentice

I am new to this discussion board! I am from regina, sask. Just thought I would say hi! I am finding this board SO HELPFUL! I wish I had signed up long ago!

Courtney :)

elye Community Regular

Boy, I'm late jumping in...another Ottawan here. Land of the silly servants.... ;):P

• 2 weeks later...
singingserena Newbie

Hey fellow Canadians,

Any Torontonians here?

• 4 weeks later...
mouser73 Newbie
Hi to all

I just joined your site oh about 5 min ago. :D Yes i am from Ontario Canada (Guelph) I was told i was celiac when i was seventeen. i took me a while to be willing to go without gluten ( it helped that i found out you can claim your food on incom tax). i have 3 children (14, 10 and 10 yes twins) part of the reason i kinda began eating gluten again. i'm not sure if any of them have this disease or not. I'm curently dating a vegan so if anyone out there has any suggestions please feel free to let me know good dinners for the vegan/celiac ( this food must not caontain anything that has a head)

Thanks for your help

Kareen :)

Hello there, You mentioned something that jumped out at me. You can claim your food on income tax? do you have any info about goin about this?

Thanx

Kevin

Viola 1 Rookie
Hello there, You mentioned something that jumped out at me. You can claim your food on income tax? do you have any info about goin about this?

Thanx

Kevin

Hello Kevin;

I too claim mine on income tax. We get ours done at H&R Block, but I make up the Celiac tax summary chart. You need a letter from your doctor saying that you have Celiac the first year. After that it stays in your file.

If you want a sample of the summary chart PM me with an email address and I'll send you one.

Cuervo Rookie

Hey everyone. I'm Canadian as well. I live in Winnipeg. Is there anyone else here from Winnipeg? I was recently diagnosed and am wondering what if any restaurants in Winnipeg are good to go to. I used to eat out all the time and am going through withdrawl.

mis-chiff Explorer
I'm do not have Celiac but my one year daughter might. I'm still so overwhelmed with everything and the unknown. She has other health issues but we don't have any concrete answers. We are in Stouffville, Ontario (north of Toronto, near Markham!)

Hopefully your little girl won't have it, but if she does - it's better for an early

diagnosis...I was sick for over 20 years before they figured it out :(

Stouffville? I used to live there...almost 25 years ago :D

I live out in BC now.

MurrayM Rookie

Hi all Canucks!

I'm from Kitimat on the north coast of BC. There's quite a few Celiac's kicking around this neck of the woods, but I don't know if any are on this site..?

I'm glad I found celiac.com as there's strength in numbers, and it makes for a potent knowledge base.

Murray

maryjoali Newbie

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot on this site since going gluten-free since Jan. 2007.

I live in Burlington, ON...moving to Oakville in August.

Does anyone know of a good dietician in this area?? I've lost 15 pounds since starting this "diet", but I really want to see someone who knows about celiac.

Thanks,

MJ

lorka150 Collaborator
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot on this site since going gluten-free since Jan. 2007.

I live in Burlington, ON...moving to Oakville in August.

Does anyone know of a good dietician in this area?? I've lost 15 pounds since starting this "diet", but I really want to see someone who knows about celiac.

Thanks,

MJ

Welcome!

I'm from Niagara.

If you need some help with your diet, I can help you out - I'm studying dietetics right now. I also started losing a lot of weight.

On the dieticians of Canada site, you can search for them in your area, and there is an option to search for ones knowledgable about celiac. Whether they really are that savvy is a gamble, though.

Open Original Shared Link

• 1 month later...
annie-is-GF Newbie

I'm from Hamilton, ON!

Any other Hamiltonians?!

foxglove Rookie

Hi-

Does anybody know any good restaurants in Vancouver/Langley/Surrey? I just got diagnosed and have no idea of any, except for Swiss Chalet who provides allergy pamphlets listing everything that's safe.

Also, anything in Ottawa? I'm staying here for awhile so it would be nice to find some here too.

Michi8 Contributor
Hi-

Does anybody know any good restaurants in Vancouver/Langley/Surrey? I just got diagnosed and have no idea of any, except for Swiss Chalet who provides allergy pamphlets listing everything that's safe.

Also, anything in Ottawa? I'm staying here for awhile so it would be nice to find some here too.

I haven't lived in Vancouver for a while now, but used to love eating out there...so many choices!

Cara owns Swiss Chalet as well as Milestone's, Montana's, Harvey's and Second Cup. I know that Montana's can accomodate gluten free, and bet that Milestone's can too. Also there are lots of choices for good Indian food (lots of gluten free choices.) Not to mention any and every possible choice of ethnic foods. I'd check out the Vancouver Chapter of the Cdn Celiac Assoc for their restaurant listing: Open Original Shared Link

Michelle :-)

lorka150 Collaborator
I'm from Hamilton, ON!

Any other Hamiltonians?!

Close! Niagara :)

annie-is-GF Newbie
kitchener ontario here, any single females in my area in their early 20's give me a shout! :D:ph34r:

to the author of the thread: regarding eating out, i think you said you were in peterborough? i've found kelsey's (everywhere around here) to be very compromising when it comes to gluten/dairy. the kelseys in the comfort inn in peterborough was very good to me. just ask them to hold the sauce on the ribs, or what have you. they have no issues with that stuff. also hot belly mama's was OK, although it took some patience dealing with the waitress :)

Open Original Shared Link is a fabulous store where you can get all your baking needs, or pre-baked goods. they're located here locally. unsure if they do mail order. everything they sell tastes great, but my fav is the white rice bread, and their pie shells.

check out your local healthfood stores, they should carry lots of food you can eat. if you're ever in k-w check out Eating Well located on king street in waterloo for all your dietary needs.

being gluten free doesn't mean not eating well either....i've never eaten so healthy before in my life!

--matt

Hey, I'm 23 and in Hamilton! HAHA

Archived