This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Splenda

lemonade

lemonade Enthusiast

Is splenda safe....it say MALTODEXTRIN???

anyone????

Lemonade

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VydorScope Proficient

Splenda is gluten free.

But get ready for all the anit-splenda croud to come in and try to scare you with talk about cholirne and etc. :D

You should know that some ppl do have a reaction to Splenda thats GI in nature but not related to gluten or celiac disease.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Splenda is gluten-free.

I am a member of the crowd Vincent refers to, but I will keep further commentary to myself. :)

mommida Enthusiast

I'm anti-splenda.

Your body can not digest it, therefore it has no calories. Do you think you should be putting something into your body that you can not digest?

Splenda is Gluten free.

hez Enthusiast

Splenda is gluten-free. I use it occasionally and it works like regular sugar. I have a friend who is diabetic and I have celiac. So I figure a sugar free gluten-free treat on occasion won't hurt me. I am somewhat leary of all fake sugar though.

Hez

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

I use Equal. Lately I started using Splenda. Whats the deal with Splenda not being good for you? Please, can you give some reasons/evidence/suspiscions? Its important to be aware. Thank you!

VydorScope Proficient
I use Equal. Lately I started using Splenda. Whats the deal with Splenda not being good for you? Please, can you give some reasons/evidence/suspiscions? Its important to be aware. Thank you!

Splenda is safe, some ppl how ever fear all things man-made when it comes to food and will come up with all kinds of things to scare you. These are normaly the same ppl that will tell you the highly proccess white junk is natural, some even will say good for you. heh.

Stevia, and Xiotol are alternatives that are usaly cosindered better, same with honey (which I perfer, or raw-unproccessed sugar, and sometimes splenda).

Some ppl also think there is an FDA conspircy behind the sweenters (Equal, and etc) too, so you will prbly here that. I personall stoped reading their posts cause it gets old after a while.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast
Splenda is safe, some ppl how ever fear all things man-made when it comes to food and will come up with all kinds of things to scare you. These are normaly the same ppl that will tell you the highly proccess white junk is natural, some even will say good for you. heh.

Stevia, and Xiotol are alternatives that are usaly cosindered better, same with honey (which I perfer, or raw-unproccessed sugar, and sometimes splenda).

Some ppl also think there is an FDA conspircy behind the sweenters (Equal, and etc) too, so you will prbly here that. I personall stoped reading their posts cause it gets old after a while.

I don't believe Splenda is safe. I also don't believe highly processed anything is good for you. I just don't believe in eating artificial foods. But I won't preach to anyone. I also prefer honey, stevia or raw sugar. That's just my opinion.

VydorScope Proficient
I don't believe Splenda is safe. I also don't believe highly processed anything is good for you. I just don't believe in eating artificial foods. But I won't preach to anyone. I also prefer honey, stevia or raw sugar. That's just my opinion.

If Stevia ever comes down in price, I would perfer that over Splenda (well assuming it tastes good, not tried it yet) but at OVER three times the cost of Splenda, and phemonily more expensive then raw sugar I am not willing to consider it yet. :D

Xiotol (how ever its spelled) is not carried in any of my local stores, so dunno how tis priced.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Xiotol (how ever its spelled) is not carried in any of my local stores, so dunno how tis priced.

What is xiotol? I googled it out of curiosity (yeah it's a slow day at work :D ) but couldn't find anything.

VydorScope Proficient
What is xiotol? I googled it out of curiosity (yeah it's a slow day at work :D ) but couldn't find anything.

Xylitol, also called wood sugar or birch sugar, is a five-carbon sugar alcohol that is used as a sugar substitute. It can be extracted from birch, raspberries, plums, and corn, which is primarily imported from China and is the most popular source due to its potential renewability, unlike birch trees.

(soruce Open Original Shared Link

Mango04 Enthusiast

Interesting, thanks.

VydorScope Proficient
Interesting, thanks.

helps if the spelling is CLOSE hehe

Nancym Enthusiast

I think this is a pretty balanced analysis of the information available on Splenda:

Open Original Shared Link

• 4 months later...
Guest Wheat Free Me

So my question is which is better to drink diet coke? Or Coke Zero? Also is drinking flavored water that contians splenda ok? I normally drink reguarl coke and I have no problems, but I thought about switching to diet coke to cut down on calories. i can't stand water but I realy like these new flavored waters with splenda, but I'm gaining alot of weight does splenda do that? I was drinking some powderd tea but it upset my stomach so I went back to soda I have to have my caffine. So is regular or diet coke better? Thanks in advance for anyone's reply. And sorry about the bad spelling.

shai76 Explorer

I like raw, organic sugar over sweeteners, but I'm not obsessive about it. I am tired of the "splenda is a wonderful godsend and it's all natural" crowd. I would rather eat a little bit of the real thing then that fake stuff. But to each their own.

kabowman Explorer

I only use splenda. I don't like the pink and blue packets and due to pre-diabetes and being very sensitive to blood sugar dops, I had to eliminate all real sugar.

I have read the bad and the good, for me, it works.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Splenda is made by taking a sugar molecule and replacing three of its atoms with chlorine atoms! How could that be safe?

Here is some info that should scare you (Splenda is no safer than aspartame/equal, meaning pretty deadly):

I can find better ways of killing myself if I choose to :ph34r:<_<

Mango04 Enthusiast
So my question is which is better to drink diet coke? Or Coke Zero? Also is drinking flavored water that contians splenda ok? I normally drink reguarl coke and I have no problems, but I thought about switching to diet coke to cut down on calories. i can't stand water but I realy like these new flavored waters with splenda, but I'm gaining alot of weight does splenda do that? I was drinking some powderd tea but it upset my stomach so I went back to soda I have to have my caffine. So is regular or diet coke better? Thanks in advance for anyone's reply. And sorry about the bad spelling.

I would suggest that you do some research on Splenda. Read about the potential dangers from a variety of sources and decide if it's something you are okay with.

I'll only drink water and occasionally tea. Maybe once a month I'll drink a soda, but I can only tolerate the organic all natural brands. Any more soda than that and I feel horrible. Flavored water makes me feel sick too.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I use Splenda and Equal--I have for over 30 yrs and I will continue too. My sweetie is diabetic and he uses them too, he doesnt like Splenda as well because he is afraid it has too much sugar in it--Splenda is made from sugar. Stevia in my opinion is very bitter and I will not buy it. I use no sugar anymore. Deb

eKatherine Rookie
Splenda is made by taking a sugar molecule and replacing three of its atoms with chlorine atoms! How could that be safe?

Here is some info that should scare you (Splenda is no safer than aspartame/equal, meaning pretty deadly):

I can find better ways of killing myself if I choose to :ph34r:<_<

I hate to break it to you, but you eat chlorine atoms all the time, as part of many compounds in the food you eat.

Splenda is not deadly, nor is aspartame. There are possible risks to certain people, true. "Deadly" means it reliably kills people. That is not happening.

skbird Contributor

Just to share an anecdotal experience: I react badly to Splenda. When I consume it I get worsening fatigue to the point where I collapse on the sofa when I drag home from work, and have migraines. It was really bad the first time this happened, then I decided to eliminate Splenda as it was the only artificial thing I was eating at the time. Then a year later I got back into the ice creams and sodas (I'm hypoglycemic so am always looking for sweets that are not sugary) and within a week this started again. It lasted over a month because I was not putting it together. Then I decided to stop eating Splenda and within three days I was back to my normal energy.

So, while it may be considered safe, there are going to be people who react negatively to it - just keep it in mind if you try it. I also reacted poorly to aspartame, but only after 20 years of using it! I used to live on Diet Cokes. It wasn't until a few years back when I started chewing a lot of sugar free gum that I started having really bad reactions to it, burning tongue, severe migraines, and trouble thinking.

Another good sweetener as an alternative, and good for diabetics, is agave nectar - much like honey. Also it's vegan, whereas honey is not. It's very low on the glycemic index and I've only seen it sold as organic.

Stephanie

penguin Community Regular

My mom is intolerant to artificial sweeteners, and that happened after living on Diet Cokes forever, too. No matter the product and no matter how safe it is, someone won't be able to tolerate it.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I drink regular Coke with a lot of ice, when I drink soda at all. I have heard that Diet Coke or any diet soft drink increases the appetite, so does nothing to help lose weight. Don't know if it's true, but I do notice most of the people who drink diet soda are overweight. If it helped lose, I would think you would see the results of it on someone. When I used to drink it, I battled with my weight.

I used to think I didn't like water, but have found it's only certain waters I don't like. Keep trying different ones, you might find something that suits you.

VydorScope Proficient
I drink regular Coke with a lot of ice, when I drink soda at all. I have heard that Diet Coke or any diet soft drink increases the appetite, so does nothing to help lose weight. Don't know if it's true, but I do notice most of the people who drink diet soda are overweight. If it helped lose, I would think you would see the results of it on someone. When I used to drink it, I battled with my weight.

I used to think I didn't like water, but have found it's only certain waters I don't like. Keep trying different ones, you might find something that suits you.

Diet soda neither helps nor hinders wieght loss by itself as far as I know. The advantage to it is that it has no calories or carbs so you can spend those else where instead of on your drink.

Cafine which is in Diet Coke could increase your appettite, but you could get cafine free version.

Most ppl (based on the ones I know) do nothing to control thier wieght other then drink diet soda, infact you will often see them with huge meals along with that diet soda while sitting on a coach watching tv and complaining about thier wieght. :)

BTW I switched to diet soda's and lost 40 pounds. :P Of course I ALSO increased physical activity , reduced portions, counted carbs, and etc. But why bog it down with details :D

Archived