This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Menstrual Cycle Becoming Irregular After Being Gluten Free?

Sarah8793

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

My cycles have always been very regular, every 27 days. Last month it was 3 days early and only lasted 2 days (instead of the usual 5). This month it is a day late so far. I'm not pregnant, so am wondering if I was regular while consuming gluten, would it make sense for me to start having an irregular cycle since going gluten free? Or, maybe perimenopause? I'm soon to be 37.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast
My cycles have always been very regular, every 27 days. Last month it was 3 days early and only lasted 2 days (instead of the usual 5). This month it is a day late so far. I'm not pregnant, so am wondering if I was regular while consuming gluten, would it make sense for me to start having an irregular cycle since going gluten free? Or, maybe perimenopause? I'm soon to be 37.

This happened to me after going gluten-free. I had been very regualr, then started having 18 day cycles, then 35 day cycles. There is no rhyme or reason to my cycles now. I have my tubes tied, so I am not pregnant. My OB/GYN ran all kinds of tests, nothing was out of the ordinary. I also have much worse PMS symptoms now, too. Not sure if that is related, but it is definitely new within the last 6 months.

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
This happened to me after going gluten-free. I had been very regualr, then started having 18 day cycles, then 35 day cycles. There is no rhyme or reason to my cycles now. I have my tubes tied, so I am not pregnant. My OB/GYN ran all kinds of tests, nothing was out of the ordinary. I also have much worse PMS symptoms now, too. Not sure if that is related, but it is definitely new within the last 6 months.

This is a relief to hear. I was kind of hoping that it was gluten related. I'll probably bring it up with my OB/GYN just to make sure next time I see him. I have always had terrible PMS, so that hasn't changed a whole lot yet. :)

• 6 months later...
ReneCox Contributor

yay! i'm not the only one. After i went gluten-free, i was two weeks late for my period. Then i was a week early. Then two weeks later I got it again...very light. It was very weird because I too am usually very regular. Im not pregnant either. I know that diet change affects your cycle. It's probably just our bodies trying to reset is my guess

flowergirl Rookie

Same here! :rolleyes: Periods were always screwed up and after going gluten-free it is still screwed up but in a different way. I don't know what to do. PMS has also always been terrible. :(

Ashley Enthusiast

My situation's a little different. Mine's been a little weird too. It was off a day or so this month. The pain has been so much worse after going gluten-free. My period always lasts 7 days and very heavily until the last day. I'm considering whether or not I should go to an OB/GYN doctor or not. I hurt so much that I cannot eat. I've had to skip breakfast and lunch for the past two days.

-Ash

Queen Serenity Newbie

My periods were a serious issue until a year ago. I would have regular periods, but they were very heavy and very long. I was always weak and sick. Then, I was told about going onto birth control. I gotta tell you, this helped very much. I have regular cycles, and no pain. My periods are also with less bleeding. I suggest that you look into this.

Vicki

g.f. for 11 years

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tummyache Newbie

I have noticed that they come later and later every month. You know, before I even knew what Celiac disease was, my OB diagnosed me with endometriosis and I had to have exploratory surgery. He was suprised that he found only a tiny tiny bit. I had wondered why my abdomen felt riddled with blisters and the endo surgery didn't help. I guess now I know. I'm hoping my periods will eventually get better....

solange Newbie

Well my cycles first got irregular when I got off gluten, then after six months, they plain disapeared, product of a general state of malabsorbsion. If you don't have enough energy for yourself, your body shuts down the less necessessary reproductive functions. I didn't start menstruating untill almost 18 anyway , courtesy of being poisoned day in and day out by gluten. Nine months after menstruating disapeared and 15 months into fixing the general disrepair left by the onset of celiac, I started menstruating again. It is varying withing one week, closer or farther, and the pain factor rides mostly along with how well I am doing with digestion. Think about it , it makes sense: it is in the same area and shares some bloating and circulatory issues both.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

My period sometimes comes earlier and it is much lighter, I can get away with using a "light" tampon for the last 3 days of my period. My periods still last 5 days like they always did, but by the 5th day...there is not much left. I did notice after becoming gluten free I am more emotional before my period, not b%$@#y...but will cry easily (esp at movies) and I get upset over little things.

Yenni Enthusiast

My period has been a bit off before gluten free (bad cramps, long period, horrible PMS) but it is worse now after I quit with all the stuff that bothers me (gluten, dairy and Legumes). I have sterted to spot almost the whole month the last two months. I went to the doctor again and she gave me birth control pills to set it back on track.

Hormones are affected my gluten if your are intolerant so maybe the body gets all weirded out after one gets off it.

My PMS is better since gluten free though.

I am hoping that the Pills will get me back and track and maybe I'll stop with the later on.

oceangirl Collaborator
My period has been a bit off before gluten free (bad cramps, long period, horrible PMS) but it is worse now after I quit with all the stuff that bothers me (gluten, dairy and Legumes). I have sterted to spot almost the whole month the last two months. I went to the doctor again and she gave me birth control pills to set it back on track.

Hormones are affected my gluten if your are intolerant so maybe the body gets all weirded out after one gets off it.

My PMS is better since gluten free though.

I am hoping that the Pills will get me back and track and maybe I'll stop with the later on.

I think I'm very much out of your age-range, but I thought I'd say I keep a detailed food log and I ABSOLUTELY have a HORRIBLE time around my period. I am nearly 50, though, and do have a fibroid, but I NEVER had PMS until now and it is quite intense- sort of a constant early labor type contraction. And if I get glutened during or before my period it seems 10 times worse. I don't know but I suspect hormones are having a wild time with me right now! Probably this isn't that helpful but I thought I'd chime in. And I hope you feel better soon.

lisa

babygirl1234 Rookie

i dont think it has to do with gluten i would mention it to your gyno

• 7 years later...
gdefranca Newbie

OMG I've been having the same exact problem.

I've got to the point of staring to have hot flashes and all and I'm only 32. I went to my doctor and he wanted to prescribe some menopausal meds, which I declined.

Went to another doctor she made me do every single exam on the book to figure why I had no more eggs (according to her menstruation/periods are an indication o fertility or egg production...starting to feel more respect for chickens these days....). 

Ended up on a Traditional Chinese medicine doctor.

I've been on Chinese herbs for the last 3 months now, and got my period for now 2 months.

But I observed one thing, my period came only when I ate gluten.

So ladies, there is a true to this, there is a close link between gluten and our periods.

Maybe a nutritionist can answer this question for us? What should be lacking in our diets that apparently only gluten brings?

So glad I met this forum.

Bless you all that had the courage to talk about this! Yay!

Let's keep talking and helping each other out.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome to the forum!

You responded to an old posting, but that is okay! Maybe one of our current members is having a similar issue.

Harpgirl Explorer

OMG I've been having the same exact problem.

I've got to the point of staring to have hot flashes and all and I'm only 32. I went to my doctor and he wanted to prescribe some menopausal meds, which I declined.

Went to another doctor she made me do every single exam on the book to figure why I had no more eggs (according to her menstruation/periods are an indication o fertility or egg production...starting to feel more respect for chickens these days....). 

Ended up on a Traditional Chinese medicine doctor.

I've been on Chinese herbs for the last 3 months now, and got my period for now 2 months.

But I observed one thing, my period came only when I ate gluten.

So ladies, there is a true to this, there is a close link between gluten and our periods.

Maybe a nutritionist can answer this question for us? What should be lacking in our diets that apparently only gluten brings?

So glad I met this forum.

Bless you all that had the courage to talk about this! Yay!

Let's keep talking and helping each other out.

Welcome! :) I definitely noticed a link between gluten and my periods, but I didn't have the hot flashes. I hope that gets resolved for you! Like some others here, my periods got worse; they were much more painful, heavier bleeds for longer times. I remember one period that lasted almost 2 weeks. I ended up taking birth control to fix it and it does help. :)

But if I had hot flashes (I'm a year older than you) I would have declined the menopausal meds too. Do you have a family history of early menopause?

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

This is facinating because I'm finding the opposite to be true.  Before going gluten free I started having perimenapause symptoms... mostly night sweats and not really hot flashes, but just noticing that heat bothers me more.  Like my body had a harder time keeping my internal temp down.  I've been gluten free for 6 months and the night sweats have stopped and my periods haven't changed.  They are still noticably lighter than they were a couple of years ago and I rarely get cramps anymore - used to get them really bad in highschool and college - still got them later on but nothing 2 Pamprin couldn't kick.  I haven't had to take Pamprin in over a year.

upsilamba Apprentice

Oh wow, so glad this topic popped up - and interested that I'm not the only one! I always had horrible periods (a bit irregular but crazy PMS involving mostly gastro symptoms - I generally had to avoid eating the whole first day of a period, or spend the day puking, not fun). So I went on a low dose birth control pill that helped to moderate those symptoms a bit (although they didn't go away entirely).

The gynocologist warned me that the pill i'm on can cause your period to disappear - but over a year on it and it never did, until I went off gluten last June. All of a sudden no more periods, except randomly over the past several months they've come back twice and then disappeared again. I emailed the gyn who told me not to worry about it, but I gotta say while missing out on the terrible PMS is not a bad development, and it's not at the top of my list of concerning health stuff, it sure is weird...

I know "unexplained infertility" is a common symptom of celiac in women so I'm sure gluten must mess with hormones etc in some way or other, but I'd be really interested if there's any good research out there on what the connection/effects actually are!

• 2 months later...
GiGi29 Newbie

I've been having similar symptoms too!  I was diagnosed with Celiac in February, and immediately started the gluten-free diet.  My next cycle was horrible!  I chalked it up to the iron infusion I'd had a couple weeks before (to jumpstart increasing my iron because I was anemic).  BUT, ever since, it has been absolutely horrible!  I bled through a super in less than 45 minutes once, and that has NEVER happened to me before.  I also have horrible cramps, chills, great fatigue, and last time a migraine that made me want to throw up.  Today I had to leave work early because I felt so horrible.  Before going gluten-free, I would take a couple midol on the first day and one of the last days of my cycle, and that would knock out any pain I had.  Now, midol just scratches the surface of the pain.  I haven't had the need to see a gyno yet, but I'm making an appointment with one today/tomorrow.  I'll update with the results if it would help people.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

Check your thyroid (hypo). That can contribute to heavy periods, along with perimenopause.

GiGi29 Newbie

Check your thyroid (hypo). That can contribute to heavy periods, along with perimenopause.

I've had my throid checked before, and they're fine.  Also, I'm only 20, so perimenopause isn't really applicable ;)  But thanks for the advice!  Maybe I'll have my thyroid checked again - it's been about 2-3 years, so maybe it's changed since then.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I am dealing with heavy periods, but this started before diagnosis.  I am at the time for menopause in my life.  I have had infertility 17 years.  I was diagnosed with celiac 2 years back.  My doctors have recently discovered I have an ovarian cyst and uterine fibroid.  I believe my functional medicine nurse attributes these to too much estrogen.  I have been taking a supplement (made from broccoli) to help bread down extra estrogen in my body.  The nurse told me that Celiac makes it difficult for the body to break down estrogen, so it can get reabsorbed instead.  I am also using progesterone to help balance my system.  My sister and Mom both had similar problems related to menopause they were told, but I still wonder if it could be that they have celiac too.  I have completely positive genetics, so it wouldn't be too surprising.

kareng Grand Master

I am dealing with heavy periods, but this started before diagnosis. I am at the time for menopause in my life. I have had infertility 17 years. I was diagnosed 2 years back. My doctors have recently discovered I have an ovarian cyst and uterine fibroid. I believe my functional medicine nurse attributes these to too much estrogen. I have been taking a supplement (made from broccoli) to help bread down extra estrogen in my body. The nurse told me that Celiac makes it difficult for the body to break down estrogen, so it can get reabsorbed instead. I am also using progesterone to help balance my system. My sister and Mom both had similar problems related to menopause they were told, but I still wonder if it could be that they have celiac too. I have completely positive genetics, so it wouldn't be too surprising.

In menopause, you aren't making as much estrogen as you used to. Why would you want to get rid of the little you have? I wonder about that functional med nurse. Or perhaps you misunderstood? The broccoli med is to help you use the little estrogen you have? Also, not sure what is meant by "re-absorbed"? Unless you are taking oral estrogen - then Celiac might effect the absorption of it in your intestines?

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I have many doctors involved with my care both conventional and natural.  Conventional doctors offer only "that is a great mystery."  Whereas Functional Medicine can get to the roots of things and solve them.

I would be peri-menoupause to be clearer.  The average age for menopause is 51 and I am 51..  That is what I meant by at the age.

If one's body doesn't clean out all of the estrogen over the years it builds up.

My point was that if people have heavy periods they might be checked for cysts, fibroids, and hormone levels.  A regular pelvic exam did not expose either my fibroid or cyst, but these were found by ultrasound.  We did the ultra-sound as a precaution because of the heavy periods with some irregularity.

Serielda Enthusiast

That is a good point, about peri menoposal. Myself 3 yrs ago underwent a hysterectomy .. As for family history yes, my aunt on my mothers side under went hers at 38, back in the 80’s. I was 34 at the time of mine.

quote name="Harpgirl" post="911905" timestamp="1397051820"]Welcome! :) I definitely noticed a link between gluten and my periods, but I didn't have the hot flashes. I hope that gets resolved for you! Like some others here, my periods got worse; they were much more painful, heavier bleeds for longer times. I remember one period that lasted almost 2 weeks. I ended up taking birth control to fix it and it does help. :)

But if I had hot flashes (I'm a year older than you) I would have declined the menopausal meds too. Do you have a family history of early menopause?