This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What To Say?

Heater

Heater Rookie

What's a good way of saying what happens when you eat gluten?

I have to eat out with people quite a bit for work, and I never know what to say past 'it makes me sick' if they keep asking. Generally I just go out for one or two meals with the same people, then never see them again- they're here for business, so I don't feel the need to explain it in a lot of detail. And I don't even really like talking about it all- in detail or not.

Any ideas on what I can say? Or how to change the topic?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissy Collaborator

it damages your small intestine.

TriticusToxicum Explorer
it damages your small intestine.

I say "intestinal distress" if I think I'll ever see them again. They usually look at me quizically for a moment and then you see the light bulb go on...

gfp Enthusiast

I just say it''s not fitting conversation for a dinner table!

If they press I just say my body tries to get rid of it any and which way it can.... now can we move on!

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

I tell them that it's similar to having the stomach flu.

I've never had to carry the conversation any further than that.

-Courtney

StrongerToday Enthusiast

If we're at the table, I'll say something like "oh, you're eating... best not to talk about it right now".... that usually shuts them right up :rolleyes:

mookie03 Contributor

I have to deal w/ that at work too, but i just say something like "it's an auto-immune reaction, so the symptoms vary and a lot of the effects are long-term so they are more difficult to pinpoint"

It is vague enough that they wont ask too many questions and u dont have to get into the details

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

If people keep asking and I really don't want to talk about it I just say, "my immune system attacks and destroys my internal organs." It's never failed to totally shut people up LOL.

Nantzie Collaborator

I call it "bathroom issues", but I feel like even that is saying too much. I like Courtney's description of saying it's like having the stomach flu. I think I'm going to start using that.

Nancy

tiffjake Enthusiast
What's a good way of saying what happens when you eat gluten?

I have to eat out with people quite a bit for work, and I never know what to say past 'it makes me sick' if they keep asking. Generally I just go out for one or two meals with the same people, then never see them again- they're here for business, so I don't feel the need to explain it in a lot of detail. And I don't even really like talking about it all- in detail or not.

Any ideas on what I can say? Or how to change the topic?

I always say "its like food poisoning" because they get the idea, and I don't have to share the details.

Green12 Enthusiast
If people keep asking and I really don't want to talk about it I just say, "my immune system attacks and destroys my internal organs." It's never failed to totally shut people up LOL.

Excellent response Mango :lol::lol:

carriecraig Enthusiast

Reading your post reminded me of a topic that I started in January: Open Original Shared Link

Most annoying comments/questions asked.

Some of the answers are hysterical - this is my favorite: Yea, I've gotten the "Can't you just eat a LITTLE??" Yea, I answered... if I want MOLTEN ACID shooting out my butt.

chrissy Collaborator

one of my kids has no symptoms, and of the other two, only one gets intestinal distress----so the bathroom stories don't necessarily work for us.

eleep Enthusiast

molten acid!

hahahahahahahahahahaha! snort! hahahahahahahahahah!

eleep

happygirl Collaborator

I tell people it causes an auto-immune reaction that in turn damages my intestines and causes numerous long-term health problems, as well as "making me sick." I quickly move on and say, if I don't eat it, then I'm fine!

And move on!

Now my poor friends know the REAL story (those poor poor people)

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Ty doesn't get symptoms, so I tell people it's like smoking - Nothing's happening on the outside, but damage is happening inside.

Lymetoo Contributor

Thanks for the good answers!!

Turtle Enthusiast

:lol: GOOD ONE!!!

I like the molten acid coming out my butt comment too! TOO FUNNY!

teebs in WV Apprentice

I don't typically have intestinal symptoms, but I do have DH. I typically show my arm and when people see the visible scars they get it. But even then, I get the feeling that they just think "big deal, she gets a rash". After a year I am still not sure of myself when asked the question........

Guest ~jules~

I usually say imagine how you would feel if you drank drano, or if its someone I'm close to I just use the stomach flu as an example. Oh god, my husband told a waiter I may go into seizures, thats never even happened to me, I guess he felt like the guy wasn't listening :blink:

Mtndog Collaborator

I usually say that it's like a combination of stomach flu and a REALLY bad hangover that lasts for 3days- weeks. The look on their faces says it all. :P

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I just say it''s not fitting conversation for a dinner table!

If they press I just say my body tries to get rid of it any and which way it can.... now can we move on!

very polite gfp.

luvs2eat Collaborator

Ha ha... molten acid shooting out of my butt is my response... if they persist beyond my more polite answer of, "I have serious intestinal distress."

ianm Apprentice

I say "Okay I'll eat it but you're the one who's cleaning up the mess not me." Usually gets the point across.

Archived