Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pyro

Strong Urge To Cheat..

We happened to be the family to host Christmas, and because of that there are THREE huge trays of tons of delicious looking sweets. Including my favorite waffle cookies.

Ugghh! My mind keeps trying to convince myself that my cousin is right, it's all in my head, but my stomach says no. It's so hard!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest j_mommy

The urge is strong somtimes...especially during the Holidays! My mom actually said to me..."it some, you'll only poop for a day"...if only it were that easy...no massive stomach cramps..not to mention not being able to leave my house!And the whole other host of symptoms.

In the end I don't cheat ever b/c I don;t want to be sick..especially during the holidays!

Why don't you make yourself some good gluten free goodies so you're not so tempted? That may help.

Don't cheat though! It's SO not worth it...especially with New Year's coming up...you want to feel great!

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Fight the urge to cheat, you will be so much happier by not cheating. I would experiment and find some great tasting gluten free goodies, then you will not want to cheat as much. Search this site for cookie and cake recipes. We have some very talented bakers on this site.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Don't do it..

~ Lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

My son and d-in-l gave me a huge box of Ferrero Rocher chocs for Christmas one of my faves, as part of my Chrissy present (they also gave me a Body Shop voucher lol so all is not lost will love going in and choosing something)..............checked the ingredients ......."wheat flour".......*sigh*

I have just been "officially" diagnosed via biopsy and blood tests so haven't had a chance to explain things to him and d-in-l yet

I didn't say anything , when they left to go to d-in-l's parents I looked longingly at them.....................and gave them to my other 2 children who were still there

But I gotta tell you the temptation to have one was just SO strong. I am a chocoholic and one of the first things I did was email a couple of companies to ask them to send me their "gluten-free" list lol

But I also know what would happen if I did have them (and I wouldn't be able to stop at one)

Diagnosed Eczema 1964 aged 16 but with what I know now from research am sure it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1969 at age 21 but had it from age of 12 many painful episodes over the years( was probably Coeliac all along)

Diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroid November 1994

Low B12 November 2006

Low B12 (still!) July 2007 Docs are happy with results just above low end of normal..*sigh*....still need to resolve it

Gluten free since October 2006 after failing gluten challenge

Diagnosed Hiatus Hernia and Los Angeles Grade A reflux via endoscopy October 2007

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease via same endoscopy / biopsy October 2007 (took them long enough!) despite being gluten-free damage still evident although had been taking iron tablets for iron deficiency without realizing they contained gluten. Subsequent blood tests show :Positive Anti-Gliadin IgA EIA antibodies, Positive Endomysial antibodies ,Positive tTG IgA antibodies of 300 ("normal" range 0-15)

Auto-immune disease goes back at least 5 generations in my family (and counting) Mainly Type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.

Number 1 Son has Type 1 diabetes ..diagnosed March 2007 at age 31, number 2 son aged 24 is A/I disease free so far ,daughter has lichen planus ( similar to psoriasis) diagnosed 2003 at age 17 am now wondering if it is DH but with flippancy of the young she won't get any testing done

In the end I don't cheat ever b/c I don;t want to be sick..especially during the holidays!

Me too. I am not tempted to cheat because I don't want to get sick.

I cook the holiday meals. Everyone eats gluten free.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

I'm probably the least sympathetic when it comes to urges to cheat, mostly saying "buck up" and "use your backbone" (the latter in a friendly, encouraging way). But it really can be hard to *always* have to say no to these sorts of things, when you know lots of people who don't have to. There's really just no getting around the fact that it's a challenge to live in someone else's (everyone else's, it often feels like) world.

Remember that it is easier at other times - pretty much almost any time than the holidays! You *can* successfully get through this, even though it's hard, and you'll find it easier soon, when there are fewer challenges constantly thrown at you. If you have to back away and spend a little more time away from the challenges, do it! Recognize the challenge that you have - if you were facing the same challenges physically, you'd give yourself a break, and just because these are social challenges doesn't mean you deserve any less of a break.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Oh dear. don't do it ! It is SO not worth it.

I made a big Christmas breakfast and as I was cooking nibbled a couple of small pieces of bacon...and that cost me 2 hours of feeling pretty crappy and I was SO careful the rest of the day. My justification was that I would try a small amount and if I felt fine, I would eat some for breakfast. That was my only screw up - and a good reminder !

Treat yourself in other ways. Buy yourself a new pair of jeans or shoes, get movie you can enjoy with buttery pop-corn, take a bubble bath with a new scented lotion, light candles and play really good music, take a vigorous walk, read some magazines or book. I find I just have to distract myself with something and to avoid feeling sorry for myself.

:D:D:D

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

My comfort food is taco's. One thing I did not have to give up going gluten free.

Once going gluten free you might find new favorites too. I never cared for rice pudding and now love it.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

My comfort food is taco's. One thing I did not have to give up going gluten free.

Once going gluten free you might find new favorites too. I never cared for rice pudding and now love it.

OOO rice pudding, that's next on my list. I made Tapioca the other from Bob's red Mill recipe, WOW!! Yummy! I had to stare at gluten all day (rolls, croissants, bread, cookies) but when I had my tapioca at the end of the day, it was all worth not having... Did that make sense?....

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Well, I did it and I'm very proud of myself.

There were even two points where it was really surprising that I just didn't do it. The first being, after I made this topic. I just sat by the offenders thinking about how each would taste, feel, and satisfy me. I kept assuring myself that it would only hurt and that I would be angry for the next week for cheating for only 10 or so minutes of little pleasure. Because I knew the stuff couldn't taste THAT good. Then, probably from sitting in the fumes for so long, I got all sick and bloated anyway. Badly so, and it felt like it wouldn't matter if I cheated anyway. But I didn't.

Then last night I screwed up by eating something I shouldn't have (non-allergenic, and non-gluten) but STILL held strong and didn't succumb to a "screw it" binge like I have in the past.

Hopefully things will continue to get better from here on out.

Good for you!

Its never been hard for me to be gluten-free, I don't even think of eating gluten because i get so ill. I'm actually to the point where I don't much miss bread or cookies, I've found gluten-free alternatives.

I love chocolate and ice cream so when others are having gluten desserts I'm able to still eat sweet things that I love.

Susan