Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mama2two

Gluten In Toothpaste

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

toothpaste is one of the hardones to know - it hides in natural flavors!

sensodyne and one other sensitive tooth toothepaste are the only two I know of that are a problem.

crest and colgate are all fine.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

All Crest flavors are gluten free. (to include Crest Whitening Strips - see :D )

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

anyone know what these hidden flavors are?

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Oral-B won't claim any of their toothpastes are gluten free.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

I use Aquafresh Extreme Clean Empowermint.... i've seen somewhere that Aquafresh is gluten free. Anyone know for sure? The ingredients don't look too scary....

Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993

Positive Blood Test - November, 2007

Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007

Gluten Free since December 3, 2007

Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

What about natural and/or organic toothpastes? Are there any that are specifically gluten free or NOT gluten-free?

Officially diagnosed Nov 2007

DH, osteoporosis, anemia

kidney & parathyroid problems

gluten-free since 2004 except for hidden gluten

Crest and Colgate are gluten-free. I don't know about other brands.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

This is what I got today from GlaxoSmithKline, the makers of Sensodyne:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Sensodyne

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

[O]ur raw materials suppliers could not guarantee that they are gluten-free.

It is beginning to seem to me that manufacturers are taking the easy way out by blaming the suppliers instead of demanding quality control or threatening to find a new supplier who can provide quality control. :angry:

We will be seeing more and more of this. Everybody is worried about lawsuits and everybody is wanting to avoid taking responsibility for the ingredients they buy from somebody else. They are not "blaming" suppliers, they are just making sure that they do not become responsible (legal liability) for someone else's mistake.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I've never found a toothpaste that definitely has gluten. I won't use Oral B simply because they are uncooperative about all their products.

richard

Sensodyne may have changed something, as - three years ago - they gave me a much more affirmative answer on the gluten. I agree that their current reply sounds like a CYA. (I don't have an email or anything, I called them.)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

What about natural and/or organic toothpastes? Are there any that are specifically gluten free or NOT gluten-free?

Here is a link I found with the gluten responses of assorted manufacturers. I've been using Tom's of Maine myself. Their response in April of last year is reported as follows:

"Only two of our products contain gluten: Natural Moisturizing Hand Soap liquids (Contains wheat protein) Natural Moisturizing Body Wash (Contains wheat protein) All other Tom's of Maine products are alcohol-free and do not contain casein or caseinate, MSG, wheat, oats, barley, rye, malt, spelt, kamut, HPP, or HVP. None of our flavor oils are grain-distilled. We do not use flour of any kind in our manufacturing process for conveyor belts or for any other purpose. Our containers are not dusted with flour before filling. We hope that this provides you with the information you need to make a healthy choice."

http://tinyurl.com/3czy89

Edit: forgive the messed up link in my original post. I can't get the link into the final post for some reason. It copies into my draft, but the final version shows something else, which isn't even a real link. I can't figure out what the problem is.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

I use Aquafresh Extreme Clean Empowermint.... i've seen somewhere that Aquafresh is gluten free. Anyone know for sure? The ingredients don't look too scary....

I called the company (GlaxoSmithKline) today about Sensodyne. They said to not use the Sensodyne because they cannot guarantee that it is gluten-free, but recommended the Aquafresh because they are all gluten-free. I hope this helps.

Morgan

I believe I read some time back that Tom's of Maine toothpastes are gluten-free except the children's strawberry - they said the vinegar that was part of the flavoring might not be. This is my memory though - check with them to see for sure.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

Also Arm & Hammer Sensitive toothpaste is gluten-free, as confirmed by e-mail on 02/05/2008.

Better safe than glutened

Dairy Free / Gluten Free / Soy Free / Corn Free / Mostly Nut Free / Legumes Free

Low histamine / amine / glutamate diet

Restricted animal protein diet

Just be careful..to get back on my carrageenan kick here..lot's of toothepaste contain this too. That's why sadly I quit using Tom's Of Maine.

If you are still having digestive issues..check to see if your toothpaste..and/or other products contain this product.

Just be careful..to get back on my carrageenan kick here..lot's of toothepaste contain this too. That's why sadly I quit using Tom's Of Maine.

If you are still having digestive issues..check to see if your toothpaste..and/or other products contain this product.

What is the problem with Carrageenan? I use Tom's every day and like the fact that they not only tell you what is in it but also what it is derived from. The Carrageenan says it is derived from seaweed. What is the issue with this, if you don't mind my asking?

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

What is the problem with Carrageenan? I use Tom's every day and like the fact that they not only tell you what is in it but also what it is derived from. The Carrageenan says it is derived from seaweed. What is the issue with this, if you don't mind my asking?

Some forms of carrageenan are bad for the digestive tract and can cause ulcerations and cancers of the gastrointestinal tract...also overall disruption to the digestive tract. So even though there are different studies out there..I have decided to cut it from my diet as part of my elimination diet in figuring things out.

A lot of the almond milks, soy milks and rice milks contain it too. It's a thickening agent.

There was a time when our government didn't allow it. It's just a personal choice that I have made as I continue to eliminate things that I believe may be causing some of my problems and things I have decided to not take risk with. I trust what Dr Weil says on a lot of things. He has always been my period opinion after I look something up on the web. He also agrees to stay away from it.

Since cutting it out..mostly via my Silk Soymilk..I am seeing some improvement. Granted..it may be too because I have cut out the soy.

I just like to make people aware and they can make their own decisions.

Hope that helped.

Some forms of carrageenan are bad for the digestive tract and can cause ulcerations and cancers of the gastrointestinal tract...also overall disruption to the digestive tract. So even though there are different studies out there..I have decided to cut it from my diet as part of my elimination diet in figuring things out.

A lot of the almond milks, soy milks and rice milks contain it too. It's a thickening agent.

There was a time when our government didn't allow it. It's just a personal choice that I have made as I continue to eliminate things that I believe may be causing some of my problems and things I have decided to not take risk with. I trust what Dr Weil says on a lot of things. He has always been my period opinion after I look something up on the web. He also agrees to stay away from it.

Since cutting it out..mostly via my Silk Soymilk..I am seeing some improvement. Granted..it may be too because I have cut out the soy.

I just like to make people aware and they can make their own decisions.

Hope that helped.

Thanks for the reply. Curiosity is my middle name. :) By the way soy was the last link for me. I hope eliminating it gives you the relief I got. I do find it just as hard to avoid as gluten though, actually at this point harder. It seems anything that doesn't have gluten has soy. :angry:

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Yes..amazing how many things have soy! When I tell people I am avoiding Gluten, Soy, Dairy, Sugar, etc..they only thing of the stuff directly. They think as long as you avoid 'soy' as a whole or 'corn' as a whole..you are fine. They don't realize how many things contain things derived from these items.

I treat it as a game on my own. What can I truly find that doesn't contain anything I am trying to stay away from.

[quote I do find it just as hard to avoid as gluten though, actually at this point harder. It seems anything that doesn't have gluten has soy. :angry:

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009