This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Have You Done?

JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

So spill it guys. Choked your doctor? Screamed at medical professionals? Run screaming from gluten-fingered toddlers? Crapped in a garbage can? Followed a Chef around in his kitchen?

Here's mine: I had to pop a squat between the cars in a parking lot at an AIR SHOW because I couldn't make it to the porta potties......

I'll think of some other ones, but that one really stands out....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

OMG! You are so funny. You actually made me laugh out loud. I don't have any stories to tell, but thanks for the laugh.

msmini14 Enthusiast

lmao, that is hilarious! hehehe

I was making brownies last night and my roomies friend tried to stick his finger in the batter. Anyway mike my roomie freaked, he said, hey dont be putting your fingers in her food! I didnt even have a chance to respond lol. Thought that was cute, least he cares.

Oh ok, I never went to the bathroom outside lol. I was at Walmart once before I knew about wheat and boy it hit me. I left my cart and started running as fast as I could to the restroom. I get in, there was someone waiting, I begged and went lol. I thought I wasnt going to make it.

I watch people like a hawk in my kitchen if they are cooking/eating while I am. lol I feel bad for them. I say, hey watch what are you are doing there please. OMG you just tried to set your bread next to my veggies, are you crazy?

hehe no I am crazy ocd =P

ashylu929 Newbie

I have to admit, about 2 weeks ago, I broke down SOBBING because I wanted pizza! No lie! I also stormed out of a local restaurant because there was literally nothing I could eat there. LOL...I'll adjust ;) (one should hope!)

Oh ok, I never went to the bathroom outside lol. I was at Walmart once before I knew about wheat and boy it hit me. I left my cart and started running as fast as I could to the restroom. I get in, there was someone waiting, I begged and went lol. I thought I wasnt going to make it.

Hey, when you've been in as many grody gas station bathrooms as I have, you start to LIKE going outside. I have a roll of TP in my car, my purse, my luggage......

jjc Contributor

I broke down crying during a trip to Amish country, right outside an awesome bulk foods store, because there was SO much I couldn't have. All these elderly people were looking at me like what's with her??? :(

Guhlia Rising Star

I once left a playground and made my best friend stay and tell the woman who was letting her 2 year old daughter eat chicken nuggets while playing on the equipment (yeah, how safe is that) that my daughter had an anaphylactic allergy to wheat and she could die if she touched anything her daughter touched. Totally untrue, but I didn't know what else to say. The woman was clearly irritated that I wouldn't let my kid play with her kid while she was eating.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Why is it that the sight of food in a supermarket always induces the urgent need to go. I couldn't begin to count the number of abandoned shopping carts in markets from my mad dashes to the loo! Often when I come back they have vanished or I can't even remember where I left them!

ShayFL Enthusiast

Hubby and I always walk every morning before work. Pre-gluten-free, there were some mad sprints for home from time to time. And others, I just "knew" that "running" wouldnt get me to the bathroom in time. One time my dear sweet man sacrificed one of his socks so I could wipe my bottom in the bushes. :lol: :lol: :lol: He never lets me forget that one. <_<

I am so thankful that I no longer have to "run" to the bathroom. Or make my first order of business anywhere I go "finding the nearest bathroom". So thankful!!

mushroom Proficient

I rapped on the door of a poor little old man who lived alone while I was out walking my dog, and told him I just had to use his john. I tied the dog up outside and I know he just cowered while I was in the loo, wondering what I was going to do to him. Not that I looked intimidating, but I'm sure I looked desperate. :ph34r:

Chrissyb Enthusiast

Much to my dismay I didn't make to the bathroom because there was not waring it just happend and I was nowhere near home and had no car because I do not drive. ugh :angry::( Luckly wasn't a lot but just was yucky. A couple of weeks ago much to my husband dismay a throw a fit in a local grocery store because I could find anything quick and yummy to eat while he was picking up pizza. Just one of my moments in time.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

All of the above <_<

kim:) Apprentice

Lets see...

I opened up the doughnut thingy at Safeway and stuck my head in and started sniffing. Haha i had my eyes closed and this person was like, ummmm. haha i was so embarrised. here is this weird 15 year old sniffing doughnuts. haha it works though, if you imagine eating it.

also, my dad and i made poptarts and i started crying because i missed poptarts and i was so happy. haha.

hehe and when i first made cupcakes after 3 years (because i thought i never really liked them for some weird reason) i ate 5 in a day. my friends laughed and i was like, hey...i forgot how good they were.

haha sorry, one more.

i get really really sleepy when i get glutened. and once i was at a restaurant and i didnt feel good at all so i just ended up like passing out on the table. haha my mom woke me up, i used the bathroom, and then slept from denver back to steamboat. it was weird. haha. but funny that i crashed at a restaurant.

also, my dad and i made poptarts and i started crying because i missed poptarts and i was so happy. haha.

RECIPE.

kim:) Apprentice
RECIPE.

Gluten Free Pop Tarts!

1/2 cups of gluten-free all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1/2 Softish butter

3 tablespoons of cold water

*Cut the butter into the flour and salt. Add the cold water and form a dough (If too sticky refrigerate the flour for about 30 minutes so its cool enough to roll out with out sticky problems) When ready, roll it out into a square/rectangle. Make sure the surface is floured or it will stick when you try to lift it! Cut the dough into an even number of pop-tart shaped rectangles. Place rectangels on a cookie sheet that is greased or floured (or both).

Now spoon any fruity jam into the center of each rectangle, leaving room on the sides because it will spill over as it bakes if it is too close to the edge. Now top with another rectangle or square and seal the edges with a fork. You may want to poke holes in the top to prevent air bubbles.

Bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes. When they come out let them cool a bit ad then spread some icing and sprinkles (if you like, which i think it makes them taste real)

****I would recomend toasting them in a toaster oven, because in regular toasters mine fell apart. *****

So yeah! do this, and add a little imagination!

POP-TARTS!

ENJOY!

emcmaster Collaborator

Oh boy, what haven't I done!?!?

I cried once when my Mother made her famous "cheesy potatoes" which are naturally gluten-free. I'd watched her make them and had approved all the ingredients. I left the kitchen to go to the bathroom and came back only to find her pouring them into a stoneware pan to bake in the oven. That stoneware pan has had more brownies baked in it over the years and is definitely not gluten-free. I felt so sorry for myself for not being able to eat them that I made an excuse to take a shower and cried in the bathroom.

Jestgar Rising Star
Gluten Free Pop Tarts!

1/2 cups of gluten-free all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1/2 Softish butter

3 tablespoons of cold water

*Cut the butter into the flour and salt. Add the cold water and form a dough (If too sticky refrigerate the flour for about 30 minutes so its cool enough to roll out with out sticky problems) When ready, roll it out into a square/rectangle. Make sure the surface is floured or it will stick when you try to lift it! Cut the dough into an even number of pop-tart shaped rectangles. Place rectangels on a cookie sheet that is greased or floured (or both).

Now spoon any fruity jam into the center of each rectangle, leaving room on the sides because it will spill over as it bakes if it is too close to the edge. Now top with another rectangle or square and seal the edges with a fork. You may want to poke holes in the top to prevent air bubbles.

Bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes. When they come out let them cool a bit ad then spread some icing and sprinkles (if you like, which i think it makes them taste real)

****I would recomend toasting them in a toaster oven, because in regular toasters mine fell apart. *****

So yeah! do this, and add a little imagination!

POP-TARTS!

ENJOY!

My new best friend!!!!!

Lisa16 Collaborator

Great thread!

All of the above for me too-- including the parking lot at Orchard Beach in Maine (off season). Not a field or bush was spared. Panicked in West Texas because there was no cover.

Knocked on doors in desperation. Used leaves and napkins and museum tickets and train tickets and receipts and theater programs and whatever paper was in the purse at the time. Europe was the worst (the museum tickets are on the small side.)

But my man never sacrificed a ssock for me. Ah well.... that's true love.

Accidents too-- once threw away underwear at work. I bet the janitor wondered about that one. Kept change of clothes in office.

Used to eat a bagel before my 1pm class and would ALWAYS have to run out in the middle of class to get sick. A student might be giving a presentation. Didn't matter. It hit.

Missed meetings, thesis defenses, late to work.... you name it.

Oh-- and the best! I once got glutened by a hotel breakfast and barely made it to the airport in time. Got sick in line and was rushed through security. Then on the plane, they put me in first class so the stewardess could keep an eye on me. I delayed the plane because I had to go while it was charging up to take off. So that ishopw to get yourself bumped up. However, the other first class passengers were not so happy. I kept reassuring people it was genetic and not anything they could catch.

jerseyangel Proficient

One time, I was waiting for my husband and son in the car while they made a quick run into a store. I wasn't feeling great, but I figured I would be ok till we got home.

No sooner had they gone through the door, it hit me--I knew this store didn't have a public restroom and I wasn't about to go in and plead to use theirs, since I knew I did not have that kind of time. :unsure: I jumped behind the wheel and drove off down the street as fast as I dared to Wendy's and used their bathroom. I just made it.

When I got back to the parking lot of the store, there they were--sitting on a bench kinda looking like this---> :huh::P

curlyfries Contributor

Pre-gluten-free, I was always falling asleep at work after lunch.

Generic Apprentice

Thank gawd for cell phones. I can't tell you how many times it has hit me without warning and I made a call from the bathroom. Trying to whipser from the stall....hey my gut's acting up, I'm gonna be a few. :ph34r:

Treen Bean Apprentice
Why is it that the sight of food in a supermarket always induces the urgent need to go. I couldn't begin to count the number of abandoned shopping carts in markets from my mad dashes to the loo! Often when I come back they have vanished or I can't even remember where I left them!

Me too! I thought I was the only one! hahaha

DarkIvy Explorer
Great thread!

All of the above for me too-- including the parking lot at Orchard Beach in Maine (off season). Not a field or bush was spared. Panicked in West Texas because there was no cover.

Knocked on doors in desperation. Used leaves and napkins and museum tickets and train tickets and receipts and theater programs and whatever paper was in the purse at the time. Europe was the worst (the museum tickets are on the small side.)

But my man never sacrificed a ssock for me. Ah well.... that's true love.

Accidents too-- once threw away underwear at work. I bet the janitor wondered about that one. Kept change of clothes in office.

Used to eat a bagel before my 1pm class and would ALWAYS have to run out in the middle of class to get sick. A student might be giving a presentation. Didn't matter. It hit.

Missed meetings, thesis defenses, late to work.... you name it.

Oh-- and the best! I once got glutened by a hotel breakfast and barely made it to the airport in time. Got sick in line and was rushed through security. Then on the plane, they put me in first class so the stewardess could keep an eye on me. I delayed the plane because I had to go while it was charging up to take off. So that ishopw to get yourself bumped up. However, the other first class passengers were not so happy. I kept reassuring people it was genetic and not anything they could catch.

Oh my god. What a way to get a free upgrade!

I once threw a tantrum at a California Pizza Kitchen when they told me I could only eat two of their salads minus the dressing (seriously, $11 for freakin' lettuce?!) and I had to watch all my friends eat bruchetta and freakin pizza. I cried. I broke down. I'm STILL kinda embarassed when I think about it.

Thank gawd for cell phones. I can't tell you how many times it has hit me without warning and I made a call from the bathroom. Trying to whipser from the stall....hey my gut's acting up, I'm gonna be a few. :ph34r:

HAHAHAHAH!!!!!

You know, I got sick from a glutening a few weeks ago, and I was at work. So I had the presence of mind to grab my cellphone on the way to the potty, where I spent the next TWO HOURS. I was calling my boss, who knows the score so I could be honest. I was texting my boyfriend because I don't have any games on my phone. I work with my mother, so she actually called me on her break at one point to keep me entertained for a few minutes. Everyone thought it was the funniest thing EVER.

:D

jerseyangel Proficient

A cell phone would have come in handy regarding the prediciment I was in <_<

Archived