foodiegurl

Endoscopy Tomorrow, And Terrified!

Rate this topic

I finally have my endoscopy tomorrow morning and I am terrified. I am terrified there will be some complication, or I won't wake up...or of course, they will find something scary.

I am terrified, I won't come home and see my husband and daughter again.

Please tell me I am overreacting, and it is easy :(

I have had the procedure twice, and it really is not a big deal.

I think you are more likely to be killed in a car accident on your way to the hospital. Or jaywalking anywhere in The Loop.

You will be fine, Anne.

Oh you poor thing--please try not to panic, it's going to be fine :)

I've had it done twice--once with a colonoscopy thrown in :P ! It doesn't take long, you won't feel a thing, and when you wake up you'll feel like you just took the best nap.

Honestly, you're going to be fine. Take a deep breath :D

I'm totally a nervous nellie and just had my first endoscopy done yesterday....it was a piece of cake! Way easier than I expected it to be. They put a mouth piece in to keep my mouth open and told me I'd have to swallow the scope. I indicated I thought I'd have a hard time doing that, then they put the sleep drugs in my IV and I was fell asleep almost immediately. I woke up about an hour later, and yeah, it was a great nap.

Didn't feel or notice a thing and felt totally fine afterwards. Spent most of the day napping.

I've had several of them done over the years, and they have always been very easy. About the worst thing I've ever noticed is a slight sore throat afterward from the tube. Great excuse to have some ice cream! :P

I can tell you that I am very drug resistant and so was really quite aware of a lot of the procedure. I was awake for swallowing the tube and when they took it out, I watched a bit of what the camera was doing inside. I did eventually go completely to sleep for about twenty minutes, after they were done. I thought it was all fascinating. And MAN are those good drugs!!!!! My nurses were all laughing at me. For me, the only traumatic part was having my Mom pull over the car on the way home so I could puke, I had a colonoscopy at the same time and the prep destroyed my tummy, apparently the graham crackers they gave me after didn't help. My father thought it was hilarious because the vomit came out my nose. So I puked in front of a crowd of teenagers in a Donut Depot parking lot out my nose. That was way more traumatic than the procedure!

I would never tell you you are overreacting because medical procedures can be scary.

I will till you endo is very easy....you are only asleep for a very short time and not very deeply...

It'll be over before you know it...make sure there is a nice gluten-free ice cream in your freezer for after the procedure :)

Don't worry, once you get the versed on board you will have no concerns whatsoever! Good stuff...I've had 3 or 4 EGDs, and I actually got so I started to look forward to them. The putting in the IV is the worst part. Then you have to swallow some nasty stuff which numbs your throat, but after that, you will be all smiles. Trust me. Just don't expect to have a good memory for the rest of the day...my wife told me I kept asking her the same questions over and over again. :P

I finally have my endoscopy tomorrow morning and I am terrified. I am terrified there will be some complication, or I won't wake up...or of course, they will find something scary.

I am terrified, I won't come home and see my husband and daughter.

Please tell me I am overreacting, and it is easy :(

I had one last year with a colonoscopy and the endoscopy was so easy. The colonoscopy was rough for me because I could feel cramping. Don't worry - I'm having another one July 29th because my doctor didn't do biopsies the first time. I had to have the blood test to convince him that I have celiac and now he wants to do the biopsy. So I had to start eating gluten again after being gluten free for a couple of months. I can't wait until it's over so I can start gluten free again.

Good Luck!

I was totally worried before mine, and honestly, it was a slice of gluten-free cake. :)

You'll be just fine.

I had endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same time. One minute I was awake talking to the anaesthetist as he told me what he was doing .....it's only an IV sedation in the hand not a full on mask job, and the next I was waking up in recovery.....no after effects at all not even a sore throat...easy as pie

aww hunni sorry its so scary.. i was only 14 when i had mine done so i was really nervous about it..

but honestly you'll be fine, the worst part for me was the IV ( i have deep and thin veins so it took about 15 attempts :lol:) once theyve got that in and they give you the local it'll be plain sailing

good luck :D

thank you everyone for your encouraging words. i kept thinking about what everyone said as I was sitting the hospital room, on gown, with my IV waiting to be whisked away.

It is true, the anticipation is definitely the worst part. once i got a shot of demerol, I was out, and never even saw my dr come in to do the procedure. Apparently, I even slept through the recovery room, and the next thing I knew I was back in my room watching HGTV :)

I would barely talk at first, and went straight to bed at home, but now feel pretty good, and am home with husband and daughter - yeah!

May main reason to get it was to see if I had any ulcers due to the h.pylori, since I had already been gluten-free for 3 months and wasn't about to add it back in. thankfully, I don't have an ulcer, but he did say he could tell I definitely have celiac, and i should hear back about the biopsy in a week.

I also have an appointment for a bone density scan to get a baseline.

I was so hesitant, but happy to have it done. And now that I am "officially" celiac, I can claim all my food receipts I have been saving - hehe.

Thanks again to everyone for being so understanding about my neurotic self :)

Had to pop back to see how you did--glad it went so well! :D

yay *hugs* glad it all went well for you :D