This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

GottaSki Mentor

Lively thread 2night!!! It is 10pm and I just climbed outta the pool...um ya turns out a pool was not a want but a need for this sorry little body.  Been floating and doing different little exercises on adorable little floaties purchase for the shortest members of the fam all afternoon / evening -- seems I do okay when I don't have to be the 'fish outta water' ;)

Food...meat was defrosted for the next couple of nights -- was thinking simple baked chicken with whole carrots simmered with butter and agave or brown sugar and sweet potatoes earlier.....hubs took pity on his silly froggy wife and provided a wonderful meal that was pretty close to plan....

Hubs, sons had steak, baked potato and sweet buttery carrots

Sis had pork chop with baked potato

Me -- I had steak, pork chop, sweet potatoes, and sweet buttery carrots

no dessert for anyone this eve...as i jumped back in my safe zone.

if you lost track....that means the pork and steak planned for the weekend is now cooked...and we will be having chicken manana...night-night all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GottaSki Mentor

oops...forgot the corn...yep we do and have done the in the husks...especially on the beach :)

kareng Grand Master

don't ya love that?  what do y'all want for dinner????????  no matter how many warm bodies were in the house, the answer was always:

FOOD.

what kind of food???????????

THE KIND YOU EAT.

at least you got a pretty good idea lolz - maybe i should ask your 20 what he wants then make it here hahahahaaa!!   :)

edited to add:  did you ever grill the corn right in the husks?  we trim them (pull off dry outer husks, cut off top silk)  soak them (sometimes) in water or salt water, (sometimes not) and put them right on the grill.  so sweet, delicious and juicy you don't need any butter or salt.  just peel and eat   :)

We don't do corn that way.  This way is yummy and easy and its "The way we have always done it!".   :blink: 

I'll give you J's phone number.  But don't call for dinner ideas - phones are not for talking.  Please text!

I had a friend that got so tired of her kids saying "food" when asked what they wanted to eat, she served them bird food.

cute-blue-bird-laughing-smiley-emoticon.

IrishHeart Veteran

Meanwhile, your friend Irish was crying like a baby over that stupid chipmunk who ( & the hubs has pointed this out 47 times) is probably fine,.if he scampered off, I must have gotten him loose enough. 

Thanks, Ski for the extra hugs via email. :wub:

I get very emotional about wounded animals, regardless of their place on the food chain. I even take bugs outside rather than squash. I know, I'm a dork.

Tonight is looking like mixed grille.

He gets sausages (the local butcher makes these awesome ones) and I get salmon (YUM!)

assorted veggies: zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, eggplant

and now, because you have all mentioned it...

corn.! (and have tried it on the grill...I don't like it.)

I still shuck, boil for 4 mins. and put butter, salt and pepper on it.

I'm old school when it comes to corn.

The local farm has fantastic strawberries right now, so I may have a few of those, (just a few)

but first, this morning......Lucy has to go get her tetanus booster <_<

crying-girl.gif

Happy Saturday all!

kareng Grand Master

Doing this today.

mopping-smiley-emoticon.gif

cleaner-smiley-emoticon.gif

love2travel Mentor

Doing this today.

mopping-smiley-emoticon.gif

cleaner-smiley-emoticon.gif

...and this is what I am doing this very moment!

chips.gif

love2travel Mentor

Tonight we are having:

Grilled (and brined) pork tenderloin with a gingery plum glaze

Shrimp fried rice

Japanese cucumber salad

Strawberries with aceto balsamico tradizionale de Modena and black pepper

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Doing this today.

cleaner-smiley-emoticon.gifthis is me....other guy was too happy

GottaSki Mentor

Tonight we are having:

Grilled (and brined) pork tenderloin with a gingery plum glaze

Shrimp fried rice

Japanese cucumber salad

Strawberries with aceto balsamico tradizionale de Modena and black pepper

plum glaze recipe please :D

IrishHeart Veteran

cleaner-smiley-emoticon.gifthis is me....other guy was too happy

cleaner-smiley-emoticon.gif this is me, too....! why, we're all a bunch of cleaner-uppers today....

Adalaide Mentor

napsmileyff~0.gif  this is what I did all afternoon

IrishHeart Veteran

napsmileyff~0.gif  this is what I did all afternoon

that's what my cat Bella did,  too.

Adalaide Mentor

that's what my cat Bella did,  too.

So I guess I was either a bum or a cat today. :lol:

Tonight is burgers and fries and some sort of vegetable-y type of thing.

Marilyn R Community Regular

My boyfriend (tonight anyway, vs. roommate) made an awesome smoked chicken.  We had that with Vodka & tonic, baked potatoes and I have forgotten what else, but dark chocolate for desert. :wub: 

kareng Grand Master

My boyfriend (tonight anyway, vs. roommate) made an awesome smoked chicken.  We had that with Vodka & tonic, baked potatoes and I have forgotten what else, but dark chocolate for desert. :wub: 

I guess we can see why he's your BF tonight! :)

w8in4dave Community Regular

Smoked Chicken yummy!! We had shish ka bobs!! :) On the barbie :) it was very good!! We had pork and dearborn sausage with purpl onion and yellow and orange bell peppers, also some shrimp and Rice :) Hubbs made some gravy and forgot about Celiac! :( butthats ok the rest was wonderful except the rice I bought isn't very good!! Hubbs liked it!! But not me!! 

Also I didn't know till today that Country Crock had Whey in it!! Yesterday I didn't put any in my rice because of it! This morning hubbs made me some eggs , guess what he used??? Yup you got it!! Ihave to pitch it and get butter! Ughhh It hasn't affected me as of yet!! I am sure tomorrow I will feel it!! 

IrishHeart Veteran

Smoked Chicken yummy!! We had shish ka bobs!! :) On the barbie :) it was very good!! We had pork and dearborn sausage with purpl onion and yellow and orange bell peppers, also some shrimp and Rice :) Hubbs made some gravy and forgot about Celiac! :( butthats ok the rest was wonderful except the rice I bought isn't very good!! Hubbs liked it!! But not me!! 

Also I didn't know till today that Country Crock had Whey in it!! Yesterday I didn't put any in my rice because of it! This morning hubbs made me some eggs , guess what he used??? Yup you got it!! Ihave to pitch it and get butter! Ughhh It hasn't affected me as of yet!! I am sure tomorrow I will feel it!! 

whey is gluten free. It's a dairy by-product. . 

kareng Grand Master

I think butter might have Whey in it, too? If you can't do dairy?

I guess they don't use the whey part in regular butter but it is used to give a buttery taste to things:

"Whey cream and butter[edit]

Cream can be skimmed from whey. Whey cream is more salty, tangy, and “cheesy” than ("sweet") cream skimmed from milk, and can be used to make whey butter. Whey cream and butter are suitable for making butter-flavoured food, as they have a stronger flavour of their own. They are also cheaper than sweet cream and butter."

IrishHeart Veteran
Took out some sirloin for dinner. Figure out the rest later...Not much of an appetite.

I have a fever, really stiff and sore joints and awful nausea. Like I have 
been hit by a truck. 

Apparently, (according to the doc & the CDC pamphlet he gave me)
1 in 100 adults get this reaction after a tetanus/pertussis shot.
dang, why do I have to be the 1? 
stoopid chipmunk. I just got over the antibiotic's side effects from the tick bite.

I need to get the hell out of here before something else bites me!!  

:huh:

GottaSki Mentor

Rest up and feel better IH -- no playing with critters for a few days up there!!!

Well last few days have been flare in the PM with the exception of floating in my kiddie pool until 10pm...guess my childhood nickname is back for the summer -- I was dubbed "Dolphin" by one of the best men I knew back in our old hood.  They had the neighborhood pool situated down in the canyon away from the house -- thus became the pool we all hung out in...looking back Mr. Dahl was a saint -- I was four or five and not quite water safe yet and would not get out of the pool no matter how nice he asked -- boy I owe him big time and his little "Dolphin" is back to hours on end in the pool this year.

So this morning I went a shorter distance on the bike before the sun cleared the marine layer and will try to keep it to short rides until I know I'm not flaring in the eves.  It is RAIN CHECK day -- Hubs and I are hitting the nice Fish Restaurant for lunch as we have tried the last few nights and I am just not date material in the evening.  Sunday Dinner is here as usual but the meat is on Pops in honor of the Anniversary -- so I'm thinking Surf and Turf -- Rib Eyes with Garlic Butter Shrimp :)

The Whey thing got me a few times during my early days when my eyes were crossed and blurry from tears in the grocery store aisles -- it sure sounds like it would have gluten -- I stick with butter regardless -- always have even when we were more broke than right now -- grew up on Imperial Margarine and never liked it -- so when I moved out I switched to real butter -- yum :wub:

Adalaide Mentor

I'm supposed to be making chicken for supper, but after my hour getting mint I totally forgot to get chicken from the freezer before I came to get my wits back. Yes, between my two mint plants that have definitely become bushes, it took an hour to get them both down to regular plant size again. I think I can double my fudge recipe and have leftover Moroccan mint. I'm using the strawberry mint to make mint chocolate chip ice cream tomorrow. I'm super excited about that.

So, I suppose I'll drag myself out to the garage and dig through the stupid freezer and find the chicken. I went with a friend last night on a first excursion gluten free shopping trip and may have bought a box of gluten free Annie's mac and cheese I have no business eating that I'll have with the chicken. I already spent an hour in the sun, what the heck is a little mac and cheese right? And some sort of veggie. I still have green beans in the freezer but I may resort to corn since I know I can force that down my husband's throat. (Even if it is really a grain, whatever, don't care.)

Adalaide Mentor

I scrapped the corn idea when I got to the kitchen. I remembered I have brussel sprouts in the fridge. Fresh and beautiful and just dying to be eaten. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them so I started poking around in there and remembered I have an eensy bit of loose sausage from the other day. I fried about a tablespoon of that, threw in some olive oil and put in my sprouts, cut in half. And just left them. When they were all golden I tossed some diced onion on them and enough salt to choke a camel, threw a lid on and turned them off but left them on the burner til dinner was ready.

I swear... omg... they are the best thing I ever cooked in my life. I almost died of happiness eating them. And they took like seriously 20 minutes to make if I count the time I was deciding what to do with them!

w8in4dave Community Regular

I had a steak potato and some veggies , we had justgotten back from our weekender so I just did simple :) 

love2travel Mentor

plum glaze recipe please :D

Of course! 

2/3 cup plum preserves

2 T hoisin sauce

2 T dry Sherry

1 T soy sauce

1 T peeled and grated fresh ginger  (do NOT use powdered!!)

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro (good without, too)

1/2 t crushed dried red chile

Combine all in blender, processor or glass jar.  Process til smooth. 

That's it!  As simple as it gets.  :)

kareng Grand Master

We had Experimental Dinner. Rules of Exp. Dinner:

I make some recipes I have been wanting to try. They may have nothing to do with each other and make a strange meal. If you don't like it you don't have to eat it but you have to try everything. Constructive comments are encouraged.

Tonight's was a success! Everyone liked everything just the way it was. The ony suggestion was to use the chicken marinade on a pork chop.

We had:

Baked cheese & broccoli patties

Tasty Trashy Taters ( tater tot, cheddar, hot sauce, rolled in a piece of bacon, coated in brown sugar & baked)

Clinton Kelly's supreme pizza dippers using the new Pillsbury pizza dough

Daphne Oz's sweet and spicy wings

Michael Simons chocolate Carmel peanut bars

Ski Lisa recipe for Lemonies ( made extra glaze, poked holes in the " cake" and then poured it on. We LOVE lemon))

4 of these recipes came from the TV show The Chew! I have had great luck with them.