Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

2 2
IrishHeart

Canola Oil An Issue?

Rate this topic

Hi guys,

I am wondering if canola oil can possibly be an issue for those us newly gluten-free? I have eaten gluten-free bread from a DEDICATED gluten-free restaurant/bakery twice and felt "glutened" but I KNOW the owner (a celiac) and I know it's NOT gluten causing me to feel this way. But it is just like a gluten reaction: I get foggy headed, nauseous, "off balance", irritable, short of breath, feels racy in the chest and eventually, the inevitable D. Feel just awful for a few days.

She willingly told me the ingredients in the bread. Same as our homemade bread, but we use safflower or sunflower oil.

I've been trying to be a detective, but something keeps making me feel sick and I am 100% gluten-free compliant.

I know food intolerances develop besides gluten (mine are soy, dairy) but I cannot seem to figure out what the heck is going on.

I also used canola oil mayo on the sammie I made with that bread and now, I have to wonder....

Anyone else out there have an issue with canola oil?

Thanks a bunch for any ideas!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Canola oil is a rather controversial product. Does it come from the 'canola' plant? No, it comes from the genetically modified rapeseed plant and the name stands for Canada Oil. You can make up your own mind about the product. I prefer to use grapeseed oil rather than rapeseed oil. Do a google on it.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Canola oil is a rather controversial product. Does it come from the 'canola' plant? No, it comes from the genetically modified rapeseed plant and the name stands for Canada Oil. You can make up your own mind about the product. I prefer to use grapeseed oil rather than rapeseed oil. Do a google on it.

I have read about it before (some people actually say they get sick from it) and you are right---there is plenty of controversy surrounding the rapeseed. I'll remove it from my diet and see what happens. Thanks!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

Join eNewsletter

Canola oil hurts my heart. I stay far away from it. :blink:

I will give it up and see how I feel. Love your signature, BTW...Janis was a force of nature! B)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Join eNewsletter

No worries here either.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

THANK YOU ALL for your responses! You guys are so great--especially with us "newbies" :)

I THINK my problem is that I am still healing.

The canola oil doesn't bother me all the time.

I would think that if it were a real intolerance, I would react consistently.

Grateful for your input!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Join eNewsletter

I started this thread a while back and got some interesting replies! Definitely check it out - hopefully it will help! :)

thanks a bunch! I am thinking it is the FAT content issue as well. I am still healing.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Join eNewsletter

thanks a bunch! I am thinking it is the FAT content issue as well. I am still healing.

I can DEFINITELY relate!! I cannot really tolerate fat at all and have been gluten-free for over a year and a half. It can be frustrating knowing that our body needs fat to be healthy. . . if you have any insight or ideas that have worked for you, do let me know!

Good luck and happy fat-free healing! ;)

Severe IBS

Currently avoiding: gluten, soy, dairy, legumes, peanuts, nuts, citrus, and tomatoes

Join eNewsletter

I have long suspected iCanola was an issue as I have been gluten free with no cheating for over 4 years now and STILL was having all kinds of reactions that were more like hangovers. For me and a trip to Spain and Italy has confirmed my thoughts~ where I was symptom free and whilst eating gluten free. I ate a bunch of things that I can't eat here in the US, I felt better than I had in years.

You should be aware that the use of Roundup in crops has been linked to the increase in Celiac/Gluten issues. Guess what else is considered a Roundup ready crop???? We really need to wake up and pay attention to what Monsanto is doing to the US food supply. 

http://web.mit.edu/demoscience/Monsanto/about.html

Join eNewsletter

Im celiac with a sensitivity to gluten free corn flour and maize starch.i also cannot tolerate high levels of rapeseed oil.i am currently suffering a faster than normal heartrate,heat throughout my body and face on and off,headache plus symptoms of hayfever.i know its the rapeseed as its done this before

Join eNewsletter

On 2/8/2011 at 8:50 PM, IrishHeart said:

Hi guys,

I am wondering if canola oil can possibly be an issue for those us newly gluten-free? I have eaten gluten-free bread from a DEDICATED gluten-free restaurant/bakery twice and felt "glutened" but I KNOW the owner (a celiac) and I know it's NOT gluten causing me to feel this way. But it is just like a gluten reaction: I get foggy headed, nauseous, "off balance", irritable, short of breath, feels racy in the chest and eventually, the inevitable D. Feel just awful for a few days.

She willingly told me the ingredients in the bread. Same as our homemade bread, but we use safflower or sunflower oil.

I've been trying to be a detective, but something keeps making me feel sick and I am 100% gluten-free compliant.

I know food intolerances develop besides gluten (mine are soy, dairy) but I cannot seem to figure out what the heck is going on.

I also used canola oil mayo on the sammie I made with that bread and now, I have to wonder....

Anyone else out there have an issue with canola oil?

Thanks a bunch for any ideas!!

Im celiac and big issues with rapeseed oil.feels like ive been glutened completely.high heartrate,heat throughout body,hayfever like symptoms.headache and brain fog

Join eNewsletter

@Jill Harris

Welcome!  Have you been diagnosed with celiac disease for long?   If you are new, know that most celiacs have additional food intolerances with the most common being lactose.  Any food can be suspect.  For example, I have issues with Xanthan Gum found in most commercially processed gluten-free foods.  So, I have to avoid them or I experience “gluten like” symptoms.  Thankfully, exposures to my intolerances last just for a day or so,  unlike my celiac disease symptoms which can last for weeks.

Keeping a food journal and avoiding processed foods (even gluten-free) helps until you are feeling well.  Real food is best, in my opinion.  The same items my great-grandmother kept in her pantry.   

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter