22 replies to this topic

#16 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:35 PM

I have done research on this too, since all the non-mainstream "gluten-free" cereals tasted like chalk or had a texture capable of inducing the gag reflex and are impossible to find (except online for a boatload of money for shipping)!

I eat Captain Crunch, Lucky Charms, and Trix. I have discovered that Cpt Crunch is gluten-free unless you are concerned about Oats cross contamination. I do not react to Capt Crunch. General Mills cereals often don't have "malt flavoring" (made from barley) and therefore are OK, if made only from corn or rice. Kellogs uses malt flavoring in everything. I can tolerate a bowl of Frosted Flakes, Corn Flakes, Rice/Corn Crispix, Rice Crispies, but only once in a while.

I am fine with Captain Crunch or Lucky Charms most every day and I alternate them to make sure I won't react (in case one is worse than the other) .

I hate to break it to you but I don't think any of those are gluten-free, or the Cheerios you mention in another post. Regardless of how you feel your body is still being damaged.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Franceen

Franceen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

I have DH with no damage to villi and nothing in biopsy.

Seems to be all in the skin. So, supposedly my skin is the only indicator and it's greatly improving, even with the minor CC. For some reason some people DO tolerate miniscule amounts with no damage.

If I challenge with wheat bread, rye bread, and other high Gluten foods, my skin goes nuts (and tests prove it's not "allergy" - have both markers for Celiac too and Enterolab positive). But CC from Oats and other stuff, and occasional malt flavoring doesn't seem to have any effect (even on an endoscopy).
My insurance and Dr won't consider Enterolab home test an official diagnosis!

I guess everyone has their own individual tolerance level (some have zero - especially with the digestive form of Celiac) and have to find that out for themselves and it's not necessarily a pleasant experience.

Franceen
Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success
Gluten-free since Dec 2005
Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months
No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

#18 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:49 PM

Franceen, I hate to tell you this, but you are still eating gluten, all of the products you mentioned contain gluten. For you to continue to eat them is like deliberately ingesting rat poison with every meal. You say you have done research, well, I'm trying to be nice, I have done TONS of research for the articles I write and for helping newbies out on this site and I have yet to come across anything that says that the products you listed are safe. They are NOT safe. You may not be reacting to them visibly but they are still doing damage to your insides. For you to recommend them to other Celiacs is not only irresponsible it is dangerous. Please don't take this as an attack because we are only trying to help you.

#19 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:05 PM

Franceen, if you want to contine to eat gluten, thats your call, but you need to stop telling others that it is okay to eat gluten, because alot of ppl that do not know any beter come here looking for adivce, and your threads are DANGEROUS and RECKLESS to them.

I think you do not understand the seriousness of this diease or the extreme health impact that it has. If you did, I dont think you would be recomending ppl eat gluten like you are. Please try to spend time reading up on the impact of gluten on ppl with celiac disease and get an idea for how bad it realy is. My son nearly died from celiac disease and was only eating Cheerios and Oatmeal as we were trying to find somehing that was safe (pre celiac disease diag). IF I as a newbie listened to you, he would be DEAD today.

Its that serious.

- Vincent -

#20 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:13 PM

Also, DH is the skin manifestation of celiac disease, and many people that biopsy positively on their skin also have dignigificant intestinal damage. Either way, you have the IgA antibodies going. If you did the full enterolab gluten intolerance panel and stuff came back positive, sorry, you are damaging your intestines, even if it didn't show up on endoscopy. The small intestine is 22 ft long, the endoscope can go 5 ft. in. You do the math.

All forms of celiac are dangerous. Please don't tell anyone that some celiacs can handle a miniscule amount of gluten, because they can't. Studies have shown that as little as 1/38 of a slice of bread can do visible damage.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#21 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:26 PM

I'd be just as concerned about the silent damage the small amounts of gluten are doing. The neurological and or other immunicological damage that can occur that can't be reversed with eliminating the gluten alone. It's too much of a risk to eat foodstuffs that cannot be considered gluten-free even if obvious physical symptoms aren't apparent.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#22 Ozwizard182

Ozwizard182

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:00 AM

Dear God woman! You say Captain Crunch is gluten free? Which flavor/which version of Captain Crunch? Crunch Berries? Peanut Butter? Captain Crunch Plain? Please respond ASAP!

msb

Msbookie@netzero.net

#23 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:28 AM

Dear God woman! You say Captain Crunch is gluten free? Which flavor/which version of Captain Crunch? Crunch Berries? Peanut Butter? Captain Crunch Plain? Please respond ASAP!

msb

Msbookie@netzero.net

Please notice how old this thread is.....they're not confirmed gluten free and to the best of my knowledge...never were!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: