Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Teen Fights For Right To Pick Cancer Treatment....

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Informal poll, no fighting please, respect others opinions. As this can get controversial just answer the questions and do not post what you support and don't. (25 member(s) have cast votes)

In this case, with the child being 17, do you think he has the right to choose.

1. Yes (22 votes [88.00%])

Percentage of vote: 88.00%

2. No (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

3. Undecided (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

18 replies to this topic

#16 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

Here's an update on this young man's story--

http://news.yahoo.co...re_us/sick_teen
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:25 PM

Thanks Patti! That's great news!

I had gotten an nvic update that he had a court date today, but hadn't had time to look for info. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#18 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

I think he has the right to choose. Thats pathetic that they would order him to do something he does not want. That is not the governments right
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#19 Ruth52

Ruth52

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

I agree that it the cancer treatment should be a family decision. Cancer is fought by the whole family not just the individual who has the disease.

I'm a firm advocate for childhood immunisation. I watched by baby brother suffer through whooping cough. I would never willingly make a decision that could put my child at risk of suffering like he did.

When I was five my cousin who was recovering from polio, used to sleep in my room when she was she was in town for her polio checkups. Her parents used to strap her into a brace at night to help keep her limbs straight. I used to be so afraid that there would be a fire in the house and we wouldn't be able to get her out.

Because we don't see these diseases anymore and I think it could be easy to become complacent about the importance of being immunised against them.

Just my view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: