23 replies to this topic

#16 Green12

Green12

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:16 PM

I mostly buy my green cleaning products at the healthfood stores. They carry a variety of different brands that are either unscented, or if they are scented it is usually a natural citrus (orange, lemon) or lavender, very mild.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:35 PM

If you want to order your green cleaning items on-line, as well as some pretty cool organic cotton items, visit Gaiam.com!
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#18 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

There is a brand of soaps, laundry/dish stuff, etc that is very mild and non-toxic (i think). I really like it. It's called method, and we have their stuff at a couple of stores (Smith's Grocery and Target both carry the stuff). They also have a website methodhome.com They have some great "softer" scents. My favorites are eucalyptus-mint, green tea, and lavender. Good stuff if you can get ahold of it :) Hope this helps!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#19 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:15 PM

Target sells a line of cleaners called "method." They're supposed to be naturally-derived surfactants, essential oils, etc. I use a spray cleaner that smells like grapefruit.

I agree with you about dryer sheets--ugh. I compromise--I use a small amount (1/4 capful) of liquid fabric softener, but I put it in in the beginning of the cycle, so most of it (hopefully) gets rinsed out. Just enough stays on to counteract the static and leave a nice smell (even though I know it's all chemicals :( )

#20 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:23 AM

I'm highly sensitive to fragrances and chemicals. I use All Free and Clear detergent and stopped using dryer sheets after breaking out in a rash from the Bounce Free and Clear ones. I'd like to switch to Seventh Generation free and clear detergent but dh claims it's too pricey for as much laundry as we do.

For cleaning products I use Seventh Generation Free and Clear, Citra Solve, and Ecover brand products. For scrubbing I use baking soda, for a disinfectant I add Tea Tree oil to my Seventh Generation all purpose surface cleaner.

forgot to mention that I find some of these products at Kroger in their healthymarket section, and others I get at either Whole Foods or Life Grocery

#21 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:22 AM

I'm highly sensitive to fragrances and chemicals. I use All Free and Clear detergent and stopped using dryer sheets after breaking out in a rash from the Bounce Free and Clear ones. I'd like to switch to Seventh Generation free and clear detergent but dh claims it's too pricey for as much laundry as we do.

For cleaning products I use Seventh Generation Free and Clear, Citra Solve, and Ecover brand products. For scrubbing I use baking soda, for a disinfectant I add Tea Tree oil to my Seventh Generation all purpose surface cleaner.
forgot to mention that I find some of these products at Kroger in their healthymarket section, and others I get at either Whole Foods or Life Grocery

I am sensitive to laundry detergents as well, and have made the switch from Tide (which used to be okay for me) to Purex...not only do I find it more gentle, but it is quite a bit cheaper too. I wish, though, that there was an unscented version for front-load (HE) detergents.

Michelle

#22 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

Now we're doing the "will she / won't she" dance with regard to taking the meds. The pulmonologist says the liver enzymes have to be three times normal limit . . . . allergist says 2 times normal limit before declining to administer INH. One more liver function panel . . . . then we'll see. She's about as tired of this as it gets . . . . . I think she just wants there to be a decision made -- one way or the other -- and be done with it.

We'll see tomorrow . . . . . . .

Another good bk to ck out is the queen of clean's. I use mostly natural products... vinegar too and scrub with mix of borax and baking soda. I have really liked 7th generation's laundry detergents, we use them. and I love Ecover's stain remover stick. Works great! I buy these through a co-op b/c they aren't cheap, but wild oats etc stores carries them.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#23 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:49 PM

I only use Lame Advertisement products for all my cleaning supplies (laundry, dishes, floors, bathtub, first-aid supplies, etc.). They are all natural, and the laundry detergent and fabric softener (dryer sheets or liquid) come in scented and unscented.

They are all non-toxic, even if a child would drink their dishwasher detergent, it wouldn't harm the kid. If a child even sticks a finger into the other stuff and licks it, it might kill the child!

I used to get terribly itchy all over, and have been fine since using their stuff. I still get sick from their cleaners, because they emit salicylates, but not like with the chemical cleaners, which made me sick to my stomach and gave me a migraine.

Check out their site: www.Lame Advertisement.com

This is what I use also. What it has going for it is the tea tree oil because it kills bacteria. Very good to know when your in the mist of the cold and flu season. I love this stuff.

I didn't have time today to take a shower in the morning although I took one last night I didn't worry about it. But I did something I never do and sprayed just alittle perfume on. I actually feel like my head is detached and my nose has been running all day. I can't wait to get home and shower. I tried to wipe it off but didn't work.

Never again! The only thing I like is a lightly scented body lotion from bath and body works called Japanese cherry blossom. Its real light and pleasant. Otherwise everything is as unscented as I can get it.

Another hint is I bring in natural scents from the outdoors in my house. I like to put pine tree branches in a bowl with pine cones. A bowl of apples and cinnamon sticks. Oranges stuck with cloves. Some essential oils are good. In fact if you get a small slow cooker ( I don't know if they make them anymore) fill it with hot water and a few drops of your favorite essential oil it makes your whole house smell wonderful and keeps the germs away too. I read it somewhere that during the plague where it was spreading across Europe and people were dying, a small area in France stayed clear of it. It was because of the fields of flowers and lavender they grew. It apparently has an aseptic of its own along with the wonderful scent. Well if you like lavender, its not my favorite.

Alttle goes along way, and go for very light scents that agree with you.

I agree with you on the dryer sheets....yuck

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#24 myserenityprayer

myserenityprayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:58 PM

i really like a company called Seventh Generation. I have used their glass cleaner and carpet cleaner. They both have a natural citrus scent and they produce products that are all non toxic, biodegradable, and free of chlorine, petroleum based solvents, glycol ehters, phosphates, acids, caustics, dyes, and perfumes. And the best part is...I bought it at Target and it was not nearly as expensive as other popular brand name products. Definitely check it out!!

www.seventhgen.com

p.s they mention on the label that they list all ingredients.
marissa

.be the change you wish to see in the world.

gluten free since august 3, 2006
soy free since september 9, 2006
positive blood test august 2, 2006
positive biopsy august 10, 2006

diagnosed with hoshimoto's hypothyroidism in 4th grade
diagnosed with PCOS sometime in high school
"genetically" extremely high cholesterol and tricyclycerides

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: