This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

TriticusToxicum

elye Community Regular
What verb tense is being used in the sentence below?

The ball was hit over the fence.

Yep, you're right...the verb "hit" here is in the simple past tense, and is also in the passive voice. This combination is a pain in the @ss to teach; actually, the passive voice generally is confusing when modifying. Sentences are active when the subject performs an action. They are passive when the subject receives an action or is the result if an action. The passive is used when we are unsure of the subject of a verb, when the subject is obvious or when it is not important:

This house was built in 1930.

My mail is delivered at noon.

It is also used when you want to sound formal or impersonal (announcements, rules, signs)...All passengers are asked to remain seated, All fees must be paid at registration, etc.

Like Janet and her algebra-solving, I'm getting a thrill thoughout my body as I explain... :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
elye Community Regular
Was it a home run or a foul ball?

Was anyone on base?

Had the batter been gritting his or her teeth during the pitcher's windup, per the advice of a Peanuts character, who shall remain unnamed?

If it was a home run, was it in the later innings and therefore a potential game-winning-hit?

Was it the playoffs?

Was the batter's significant other in the stands?

If it was a foul ball, what was the count?

:lol::lol::lol:

Tom, you forgot a couple of vital details:

Was the pitcher on steroids?

How about the batter?

Mango04 Enthusiast
Oh wait .... ..never miiiiiiiiiiiiiind, I have no idea about tense names!! But I DO think I know what's proper 99% of the time. (Drats to the whomever/whoevers!)

LOL. Well at least I know it's somewhat normal for me to be having difficulty with this :blink:

Oh My Gawd . . . use a few big words with some fancy versions of the spelling and that makes us experts!!!

It does. You all can be very impressive :P I know someone here knows the answer...

tom Contributor

It is also used when you want to sound formal or impersonal (announcements, rules, signs)...All passengers are asked to remain seated, All fees must be paid at registration, etc.

Ahhhhhhhh .. . . .. I just think it's nice to see examples comPLETEly unrelated to domestic violence .. . . . .. . ~alex~!

Like Janet and her algebra-solving, I'm getting a thrill thoughout my body as I explain... :lol:

I'm w/ Janet on this one. :P:)

Grammar is just rules made up by humans.

Math is Truth defined by God. :o

I walk around ALL day thinking of the equations for all I encounter. And there is joy when I'm sure I nailed it. (JoyfulM!!! Does the M stand for Math??!!!) :blink:

Mango04 Enthusiast
Yep, you're right...the verb "hit" here is in the simple past tense, and is also in the passive voice. This combination is a pain in the @ss to teach; actually, the passive voice generally is confusing when modifying. Sentences are active when the subject performs an action. They are passive when the subject receives an action or is the result if an action. The passive is used when we are unsure of the subject of a verb, when the subject is obvious or when it is not important:

Wow! Thanks!!!! How fascinating...and confusing...but wow! I'll have to read that a few times to comprehend :lol:

Are there any grammar books you recommend?

Mango04 Enthusiast
I walk around ALL day thinking of the equations for all I encounter. And there is joy when I'm sure I nailed it.

:huh:

LOL

CarlaB Enthusiast

Susie, maybe you must step away from the computer .... but will you is the big question! :D

They said not to worry about it. If it was TB it would be a bigger mark.....put my mind at ease :)
Great news!

Speaking of verbs....may I butt into your thread again? I'm in desperate search for some grammar people, and I get the sense that for some weird reason, all the grammar people of the world are here is Sillyville LOL.

Anywho...random question:

What verb tense is being used in the sentence below?

The ball was hit over the fence.

Is that the past simple passive? If so, what is the point of this verb tense? Googling is not giving me a clear answer, and surprisingly, neither is my Grammar Bible (actual book called The Grammar Bible) and I clearly lack basic grammar knowledge :ph34r:B)

Soooo....thanks! :D

Yep, that's passive. In addition to the reasons Emily gave for the existence of passive, you can add -- so that English teachers can tell you to change it to the active voice because passive voice makes for a boring paper since there is no one doing any of the action.

It's also good for children who are avoiding getting in trouble -- "The lamp was broken." "The milk was spilled." See, with kids, no one ever actually does the deed. We have someone named "not me" living in our house .... any time I ask the kids who did something, all six of them will answer, "not me". I've yet to see this seventh child and am thankful that not much food is eaten by him.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JoyfulM Rookie
I walk around ALL day thinking of the equations for all I encounter. And there is joy when I'm sure I nailed it. (JoyfulM!!! Does the M stand for Math??!!!) :blink:

Heck no! :ph34r: I used to like math until high school algebra.

Worst. Teacher. Ever.

The M is my last initial. Clever and original, aren't I?

tom Contributor

Tom, you forgot a couple of vital details:

Was the pitcher on steroids?

How about the batter?

<tom sighs, & throws back his head, rolling eyes :rolleyes: , adding an unintelligible "women">

Oh silly Em! Pitchers need their flexibility too much to bulk up! And the batter?

The ball went OVER the fence!! So these days of COURSE he's on steroids or HGH or some other performance enhancing substance!!!! :lol:

But since we're on Sports - how wild was that Warriors victory over the Suns? A 45pt 1st qtr!! Wilder still that the lowly Warriors had a 45pt 1st qtr the LAST time they played the mighty Suns too!! :blink:

Darn210 Enthusiast

STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!!!!

There is absolutely NOTHING fun or silly about GRAMMER!!! You guys can transfer this conversation to the "Can't get a date because I correct the English of all my suiters" thread.

JoyfulM Rookie
But since we're on Sports - how wild was that Warriors victory over the Suns? A 45pt 1st qtr!! Wilder still that the lowly Warriors had a 45pt 1st qtr the LAST time they played the mighty Suns too!! :blink:

I'm showing my hick roots with this post...it's about time they came out.

Tom, I don't know much about professional sports, but I love college football! Saturday when I was away from home (and ESPN) I was calling my dad every 30 minutes for updates on the Clemson/USC game and the Alabama/Auburn game. I love my Crimson Tide, but it's sad when you keep loosing the in-state rivalry game. At least we killed Tennessee. :D

Darn210 Enthusiast
I'd love to answer this for you, but first I'll need a little more information regarding this event. ^_^

Was it a home run or a foul ball?

Was anyone on base?

Had the batter been gritting his or her teeth during the pitcher's windup, per the advice of a Peanuts character, who shall remain unnamed?

If it was a home run, was it in the later innings and therefore a potential game-winning-hit?

Was it the playoffs?

Was the batter's significant other in the stands?

If it was a foul ball, what was the count?

MANGO - yes, I am quite sure that is the simple passive.....but our doyenne of English usage must verify this.

Must go to dictionary.com now to look up this strange and foreign word . . . doyenne? :blink:

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I was never good at math.....still bad at at math.

As for English/spelling I was never that great and in 8th grade I had a strict teacher who was tough and taught a lot of material. I learned so much from her, despite her being strict she was nice and made jokes. She never picked favorites and she was teaching things other teachers did not, like Diagraming Sentences.

Darn210 Enthusiast
MANGO - yes, I am quite sure that is the simple passive.....but our doyenne of English usage must verify this. ;)

:

doyenne

noun

a woman who is the senior member of a group

Oh . . . OK . . . Hey Emily, Susie just called you old!

tom Contributor
Yep, that's passive. . . .. .

It's also good for children who are avoiding getting in trouble

:lol:

The M is my last initial. Clever and original, aren't I?

Me too! (The M part I mean :angry: )

When I was a kid, I wanted to change my middle name to Oscar.

T.O.M. !

Hmmm OK Dingy, if you're gonna hang around despite a self-proclaimed desire to begone, I have something that may slightly reduce the pissy crankiness.

I searched the site for "El Pollo Loco" yesterday and guess whose post got the top googlespot. (Yes that IS one word)

Yep, a Susie post of El Loco Disappointivo, but everyone else's posts said the crazy chicken IS gluten-free!

So . . .if you've been forsaking their fowl que sabor, I say go indulge & enjoy!!

(Just chicken & pintos & torts[edit: corn, of course] tho. Salsa maybe?)

I had it last night and was THRILLED!!!

1st food 'out' for me in ~2.5 yrs!!!!!

And there's FINALLY something I can eat w/out cooking it besides just almond butter or nuts!!!!!

I've been seeing & smelling that El Pollo Loco SO often - same shopping center as Tjoe, Target etc (some may envy my 0.7mile proximity to these and the adjoining Marshall's, World Market, Michael's, PetSmart, Chili's etc etc) and had seen so many say it's gluten-free.

I did somewhat throw caution to the wind (thankfully NOT acrid Yeti wind!) in ignoring what else may be in the marinade, vinegar-wise etc, or what effect 1st try of legumes in 2.5yrs could have, but dammit I had zip in the fridge and was too tired for 9pm shopping AND cooking!

Mmmmmmm it was good and, some maqy have guessed this already, I feel GREAT today!!! :):)

New avs will be from a 7am walk downtown through the Xmas in The Park - a solitary sidekicker taking pre-dawn pix.

<ya ok not PRE-dawn, but darn close>

Ridgewalker Contributor

When I was in college, I was an English tutor for freshmen and sophomores. It was definitely my favorite job. But.... I never finished my English degree- *sigh.* I was never that great with technical grammar terminology, but I was a fabulous editor. ;)

If I can ever get the kids consistently healthy, I can go back to school. Nursing school this time around, though.

elye Community Regular

OMG...Someone is actually asking me about good GRAMMAR books!! Well...

<clears throat>: Grammar In Use, by Raymond Murphy, Cambridge University Press, would have to be my favoUrite for survival English...well laid-out, rules and examples are straightforward. :)

It's also good for children who are avoiding getting in trouble -- "The lamp was broken." "The milk was spilled."

I hear you, Carla. The passive voice is heard constantly in my house, always by my kids. Oh, wait...DH, as well..."Geez, that toilet seat is always left up, huh?"

<tom sighs, & throws back his head, rolling eyes :rolleyes: , adding an unintelligible "women">

Oh silly Em! Pitchers need their flexibility too much to bulk up!

Hey...I've seen a few pretty limber steroid-takers. It also keeps them adequately aggressive and ready when the mound is charged....(passive voice!)

How wild was that Grey Cup win on Sunday night? Amazing...down to the last minute...Oh, right. I'm speaking to Americans....Alex, did you watch the game?

:D:D

tom Contributor
STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!!!!

There is absolutely NOTHING fun or silly about GRAMMER!!! You guys can transfer this conversation to the "Can't get a date because I correct the English of all my suiters" thread.

"Can't get a date because I correct the English of all my suiters" suitors

-and- lol :lol:

GRAMMER!!! GRAMMAR!!!

Would this be why I have no dates lined up?? :blink::lol:

DingoGirl Enthusiast
It's also good for children who are avoiding getting in trouble -- "The lamp was broken." "The milk was spilled."

Yes, my mom occasionally points out that I've always been headstrong and sassy.....this reminds me.....when I was one, I knocked a big plant over..........my mom comes in......and I just looked at her and said "PLANT FALL DOWN!" and her response was some crazy finger-pointing scolding at me.......so evidently I did the exact same thing back ......but yes, the passive tense can be quite useful......... :lol:

:huh:

OMG I am bored with my own stories today.............

to bSTOP THAT RIGHT NOW!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Susie had a slight smirk over this

doyenne

noun

a woman who is the senior member of a group

Oh . . . OK . . . Hey Emily, Susie just called you old!

now listen here..........you did not look at BOTH definitions, you math geek:

from webster.com:

1 a: the senior member of a body or group b: a person considered to be knowledgeable or uniquely skilled as a result of long experience in some field of endeavor

Darn210 Enthusiast

GRAMMER!!! GRAMMAR!!!

GAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! Oh that's perfect!!!!! I couldn't have done better if I tried!!! <Must petition Scott for spell check on the board.>

:mellow: Yes.

Jestgar Rising Star

GRAMMER!!! GRAMMAR!!!

umm, <insert something about "fitting shoes">

:lol:

tom Contributor
Tom, I don't know much about professional sports, but I love college football! Saturday when I was away from home (and ESPN) I was calling my dad every 30 minutes for updates on the Clemson/USC game and the Alabama/Auburn game. I love my Crimson Tide, but it's sad when you keep losing the in-state rivalry game.

That-a-girl!!!!! :) :)

We love (oh wait! Maybe I can even use "luuuurrrrrrrrrrve"! ) a female w/ a geniune affinity for the gridiron!

Did you prev live in 'Bama?

(My dad moved to Aiken a couple yrs ago btw)

At least we killed Tennessee. :D

She even said "WE" !!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I don't suppose you have a like-minded older sister, 15-25 yrs your senior, who happens to live in the SF Bay Area??? :hopeful: :lol:

. .. .. Oh, wait...DH, as well..."Geez, that toilet seat is always left up, huh?"

Does the woman exist who puts the seat UP when she's done?

How wild was that Grey Cup win on Sunday night? Amazing...down to the last minute...Oh, right. I'm speaking to Americans....Alex, did you watch the game?

:D:D

Aw dang! I would've watched it - hey I'll watch CHAMPIONSHIP anything almost - but we went to up to San Francisco to buy ANOTHER guitar. Roommate bought a regular one 2 wks ago and on Sunday somehow couldn't shake his desire for an acoustic Bass. Not the big stand-up kind which resembles a yeti-ready (hey that rhymes!) cello, but rather one that looks like a regular acoustic guitar except w/ 4 FAT strings.

So wth .. .. . .now I get to learn bass!! :P:o

I need to get a pic of all our instruments all bunched together. And it WILL take some bunching to get them all in frame. 6 or 7 guitars now, the sax, flute & keyboard!!

Our mistake was thinking a 2BR apt would do. We really REALLY need a 3rd to be the Music Room.

tom Contributor
from webster.com:

1 a: the senior member of a body or group b: a person considered to be knowledgeable or uniquely skilled as a result of long experience in some field of endeavor

Ya I was gonna say that .. . .. .

But ... .. . Susie's slipping in her endeavoUr to propogate the supeUrFluous!!!! Ack!! A sign of the End of Times?

JoyfulM Rookie
That-a-girl!!!!! :) :)

We love (oh wait! Maybe I can even use "luuuurrrrrrrrrrve"! ) a female w/ a geniune affinity for the gridiron!

Did you prev live in 'Bama?

(My dad moved to Aiken a couple yrs ago btw)

She even said "WE" !!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I don't suppose you have a like-minded older sister, 15-25 yrs your senior, who happens to live in the SF Bay Area??? :hopeful: :lol:

My dad (and the majority of my family) is from Alabama. I never officially lived there, but I used to spend weeks there on my grandparent's farm and I go every-other year for Thanksgiving.

As for Clemson, if you live in the area long enough (and I've been here since I was 3) you gravitate towards Clemson or USC. My mom works for Clemson, so I root for the team that pays. ;)

I think the true love for football came out in high school. I was in marching band and missed all of 3 games in my four years there. We even had our own cheers. Here's my favorite:

"Dismember them! Dismember them!

Tear off their arms and legs!

Blood makes the grass grow, kill! Kill! Kill!"

:P

I'm the oldest, sorry Tom! And while I do have an insanely large extended family, we're all in the south east. I think.

elye Community Regular

...Wow... :huh::blink:

I'm actually a doyenne of something. :blink:

This sounds like a mid-wife type of person. No, that doya. Dolie? DOULA! :lol:

Archived