This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Review Of: Valencia Orange Cake From Starbucks

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I was able to get Starbucks Valencia Orange Cake early!!! I went to a starbucks Saturday. I just happened to ask if they would be carrying the new gluten free treat. The girl goes, oh ya we have those, not sure why they aren't in the case. A guy who was working there said, they aren't out yet, but I could just give you one to try. However, you can't tell anyone you got it!! ha

Ok, I am not so great at keeping secrets. This cake is super yummy!! Very moist. Has great flavor. The guy didn't know how much they would be when they came out, but it is well worth whatever it costs.

Good stuff!!

-Jessica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient

Sounds great!! I was in Starbucks yesterday and actually considered asking but it was kinda crowded and I chickened out. :lol:

I'm looking forward to trying it.

hez Enthusiast

I was at Starbucks this weekend and kept staring at the case! I was trying to will the case into having a gluten-free treat. I should have asked if they had some behind the counter. Didn't even cross my mind. I am so hoping to find the cake over the summer. It would be nice to have something while having a coffee with friends.

Has anyone else seen/tried the cake?

hez

Tim-n-VA Contributor

My son works at a Starbucks (but not near me). He told me that it was coming soon and that his manager had talked to them about not selling the one they'll put in a display case due to cross-contamination. It was good to hear that they were thinking about things like that. I didn't ask too much more because we were on our way to a hockey game and had other pressing issues.

Not that it really matters but that sounds confusing. I live near DC, he lives in NYC. He came home to go to see the Caps beat the Penguins.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

The first thing I did when I got off the train this morning was go to Starbucks to get my Valencia Orange cake! I haven't tried it yet, but have it sitting here on my desk, for a treat after lunch. It looks moist & delicious! Can't wait to try it.

mommida Enthusiast

I just called the nearest Starbucks and they have it!!!

:D I'm going to sneak out tonight and try some! :D

Salax Contributor

I had one today it was pretty good. Very cool they are getting with the "program". :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sbj Rookie

How much does it cost?

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I just inhaled my Orange Valencia Cake! It was delicious!!! I would (and will) most definitely buy it again. It is a perfect treat, that is not to sweet, but just sweet enough to have with your coffee or tea. A great job from Starbucks!!!

How much does it cost?

I had previously read it would cost $2.50, but when I purchased it this morning it was $1.95 :)

hlm34 Apprentice

yep, $1.95. i got two of them, one for me, one for a coworker. individually wrapped with a sign that said "gluten free". it was good. i will buy again. i would have loved it even better if it had a little icing or a little glaze - i like my stuff sweet, but it was moist and good. yea for starbucks!

emcmaster Collaborator

My Starbucks had it yesterday, but I waited til today to buy it because I knew there wasn't a shadow of a doubt that I would inhale it.

I thought it was excellent. Possibly one of the best pre-made gluten-free treats I've ever had. $1.95 is a very reasonable price for it and I'm decently impressed with the nutritional profile as well. For 290 calories, it is very satisfying and filling (probably the 16 g fat and 9 g protein). It was moist and sweet, but like others have noted, not too sweet.

I will definitely be buying it again.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

We had it today! It was a moist and had a good orange flavor.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Here's more information including the ingredients: Open Original Shared Link

Jestgar Rising Star
Here's more information including the ingredients: Open Original Shared Link

:o:o:o:o:o No soy!!!!!!

WOOHOOOO!!

jerseyangel Proficient
:o:o:o:o:o No soy!!!!!!

WOOHOOOO!!

I know!! And no tapioca!! :D

Jestgar Rising Star
I know!! And no tapioca!! :D

:ph34r: Dangerous.....

foodiegurl Collaborator

I stopped at 2 different Starbucks today in Chicago....and they did not have them! You would think a Starbucks in the city would for sure have it...but they said there was a mix up with their delivery order, and they will be getting it tomorrow.

I will be hoping to try one tomorrow for sure...sounds yummy!

foodiegurl Collaborator

i finally found one this morning! I bought 2, to save one for later. It was so yummy!! even if I was not gluten-free, I would love it. I think being that it is made with almond flour, it doesn't have that particular flavor you find with rice flour, which can sometimes be overkill. I can't wait to have the 2nd one now!

mommida Enthusiast
:D YUMMY :D
northernsunshine Newbie

I had one yesterday. It was fantastic. Just delicious. I bought another to have as a treat in a few days. I will definitely be Starbucking a bit more now.

Storm Apprentice

We have just phoned our local Starbucks to make sure they stocked it before we set off.. and they DO!!!!

So, coffee and cake is in order this morning, I can't wait.. I will report back later, but if all the comments on here are anything to go by, I am sure we will both LOVE it!!!

Gemini Experienced
My Starbucks had it yesterday, but I waited til today to buy it because I knew there wasn't a shadow of a doubt that I would inhale it.

I thought it was excellent. Possibly one of the best pre-made gluten-free treats I've ever had. $1.95 is a very reasonable price for it and I'm decently impressed with the nutritional profile as well. For 290 calories, it is very satisfying and filling (probably the 16 g fat and 9 g protein). It was moist and sweet, but like others have noted, not too sweet.

I will definitely be buying it again.

So...between this cake and a hot, blended coffee or tea, we're looking at a 500 calorie snack?!?! :o Yikes! I applaud them for making this effort but it's doubtful

I will try one out. I usually get the Chai latte's and that contains honey and is sweet so that satisfies my sweet tooth. I also give them credit for packaging them separately as I wouldn't eat anything from their case. Someone at the head office is thinking clearly!

jerseyangel Proficient

I can't wait to try it--may go tomorrow after my doctor's appointment. Will keep to just a smidgen over 300 calories since I get plain tea with one packet of sugar in the raw :D I'll call it brunch ;)

Storm Apprentice

OK......

mixed reviews...

On our arrival, there was one cake wrapped in plastic that has come straight from the production line as such. My girlfriend had one that was unwrapped and on display in the cabinet.

The one in the wrapper tasted SO much fresher (I tasted both!!). It would appear that the ones on the plate have been there a bit longer as the top coating of orange was slightly harder to bite through, whereas the one wrapped in plastic, was fresh, light and very very tasty!

We left a feedback card stating the above and suggested that all the gluten-free cakes are always served in their individual wrappers. One thing we did notice was that the staff used the same tongs to remove the cakes from the plate on display as well as all other cakes that were available. Possible cross-contamination?

Overall, a lovely light beautiful cake, go try it!!!

foodiegurl Collaborator
OK......

mixed reviews...

On our arrival, there was one cake wrapped in plastic that has come straight from the production line as such. My girlfriend had one that was unwrapped and on display in the cabinet.

The one in the wrapper tasted SO much fresher (I tasted both!!). It would appear that the ones on the plate have been there a bit longer as the top coating of orange was slightly harder to bite through, whereas the one wrapped in plastic, was fresh, light and very very tasty!

We left a feedback card stating the above and suggested that all the gluten-free cakes are always served in their individual wrappers. One thing we did notice was that the staff used the same tongs to remove the cakes from the plate on display as well as all other cakes that were available. Possible cross-contamination?

Overall, a lovely light beautiful cake, go try it!!!

I thought they were supposed to be served in their wrappers, maybe they made a mistake and took them out?

Archived