This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good Gluten Free Salad Dressings

Glamour

Glamour Explorer

What are some good gluten free salad dressings? I know trader joes has a few, and was wondering about other mainstream stores as well as some of the gourmet ones at Whole foods.

Are balsamic vinegars gluten free? wine vinegars?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Coleslawcat Contributor

What are some good gluten free salad dressings? I know trader joes has a few, and was wondering about other mainstream stores as well as some of the gourmet ones at Whole foods.

So far I've been sticking to Kraft because they are so good about labeling allergens I feel safe eating them. I'm having a hard time finding a good Asian Sesame dressing that is gluten free though. That was always my favorite prior to being diagnosed.

Wolicki Enthusiast

I like Ken's Sweet Vidalia Onion Lite, and Honey Mustard. Most of Ken's dressing are safe.

Most of Annie's Naturals are safe as well. I like the Papaya Poppyseed.

psawyer Proficient

Yes. With the exception of malt vinegar, which will always be labeled as "malt vinegar," all vinegars are gluten-free.

kareng Grand Master

I like Ken's Sweet Vidalia Onion Lite, and Honey Mustard. Most of Ken's dressing are safe.

Most of Annie's Naturals are safe as well. I like the Papaya Poppyseed.

I've been using Krafts & Kens. I hope I can find that Papaya Poppyseed sounds great!

Lisa Mentor

I like to make my own, and it's easy too.

Oil

Vinegar

Sugar

Pepper

Garlic Salt

Dried Mustard

Dash of Tabasco

Kraft Parmesan Cheese

Put in a jar and shake. Any type of variations can be made from this.

Yes, Kraft will always list any form of gluten. Most of Paul Newman's Own are gluten free, except the Family Italian (but always read the labels). They also will always list all forms of gluten.

Many gluten free products can be found by goggling the Product Name - Gluten free, as in "Salad Dressing-Gluten Free" or "Heinz Vinegar - Gluten Free".

lovegrov Collaborator

Salad dressings are really pretty easy and most are gluten-free. Of course wheat MUST be listed and barley will almost always show up as malt or malt flavoring. I've found VERY few dressings with gluten, and in my experience it's always been listed.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

emc2623 Newbie

jUst wanted to add my two cents as well. I am an avid salad eater, because there is not much room for doubt!wink.gif I like lighthouse salad dressings there are quite a few that are my favorites, they also have fruit dips that are gluten free as well. I have included a link hope this helps. Along with all these other wonderful suggestions.

HERE IS THE LINK

Open Original Shared Link

njbeachbum Explorer

i almost always stick to kraft and newman's own dressings, because they have clear labeling policies. the only dressings that i've seen that have gluten are the asian inspired dressings that use soy sauce. salad dressings are pretty low risk as far as i'm concerned :)

• 5 months later...
Lostfalls Newbie

Ummm I keep hearing that people are using Kraft Dressings - but the thing is Kraft Dressing use certain ingredients that don't always trigger the "WHEAT ALLERGY" warning such as: Artificial color, Artificial flavor, caramel color, Dextrin, Food starch, vegetable starch, modified food starch, and natural flavors ALL can be made from wheat or barley, and therefore they contain gluten. They can also be made from rice, potatoes, corn, or tapioca all of which are safe, so when you see any of those ingredients listed, call the manufacturer to confirm if that ingredient was derived from a gluten-free source.

A couple of "Wishbone Salad Dressings" are clearly labeled as "GLUTEN FREE" on the back with the Nutritional Information - those are the dressings, I will use. If it doesn't say "GLUTEN FREE" and it contains those ingredients and I haven't called to confirm for sure, I won't touch it.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Kraft has stated they do not hide gluten in any form, meaning they have gone beyond declaring the law required wheat.

That being said, in the US, many of those things you listed are often gluten-free. It is never a bad idea to call the manufacturer if you are in doubt.

sa1937 Community Regular

Ummm I keep hearing that people are using Kraft Dressings - but the thing is Kraft Dressing use certain ingredients that don't always trigger the "WHEAT ALLERGY" warning such as: Artificial color, Artificial flavor, caramel color, Dextrin, Food starch, vegetable starch, modified food starch, and natural flavors ALL can be made from wheat or barley, and therefore they contain gluten. They can also be made from rice, potatoes, corn, or tapioca all of which are safe, so when you see any of those ingredients listed, call the manufacturer to confirm if that ingredient was derived from a gluten-free source.

Kraft has a very clear labeling policy (wish all companies did!). I feel very comfortable buying Kraft dressings (after reading the ingredient list, of course).

psawyer Proficient

I am very comfortable buying products from any Kraft brand. I know that if I don't see a gluten grain listed, it isn't hiding. Unilever is another huge company with the same policy--disclose any gluten grain by name.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

My favorites are Bolthouse Farms, they have so many ones, but are made with yogurt. They are labled gluten-free. Wishbone will lable gluten-free also. I love Maple Grove Farms of Vermont. Their Lime Basil is wonderful, all of their dressings are gluten-free. I'm not a fan of the Poppyseed.

• 2 years later...
memayes Newbie

Most Annie's Organic Dressings are labeled Gluten Free. However, They Are Not Certified Gluten Free. I called the company and they state that the dressings containing gluten are made on separate equipment in a different area of the manufacturing plant. This helps me because I have had problems with products labeled but not Certified Gluten Free.

notme Experienced

(this thread is over 3 years old. everybody please read the labels every time :)  )

so, memayes, you are saying that annie's is ok?  

(i make my own - it's easy and cheap)

VeggieGal Contributor

Is malt vinegar definitely a no no? I have some confusion (doesnt take much haha). Ive been avoiding malt vinegar and codex wheat but then I came across this link which I'm assuming means they are ok?? Why can't there be better clarity on labelling grrrr.

kareng Grand Master

Is malt vinegar definitely a no no? I have some confusion (doesnt take much haha). Ive been avoiding malt vinegar and codex wheat but then I came across this link which I'm assuming means they are ok?? Why can't there be better clarity on labelling grrrr.

In the US, they are no-nos. 

psawyer Proficient

Unless you know otherwise from a reliable source, always assume that "malt" is derived from barley. Malt vinegar is not distilled, and malted barley is present providing a source of gluten.
VeggieGal Contributor

Unless you know otherwise from a reliable source, always assume that "malt" is derived from barley. Malt vinegar is not distilled, and malted barley is present providing a source of gluten.

Thank you :)

• 8 months later...
jraven Newbie

My favorites are Bolthouse Farms, they have so many ones, but are made with yogurt. They are labled gluten-free. Wishbone will lable gluten-free also. I love Maple Grove Farms of Vermont. Their Lime Basil is wonderful, all of their dressings are gluten-free. I'm not a fan of the Poppyseed.

I reacted to Bolthouse farms gluten free ranch. But I am one who reacts to anything 5ppm even. My head burns within a minute of eating like acid is being poured on my brain and I pass out sometimes  and that is just if there is any cross contamination.  I would not recommend Bolthouse to any one who is a celiac. Taste good but even if some do not react to low ppm of gluten does not mean it is not there. I want to put that out there for those who are with severe reactions. You are eating gluten if you eat Bolthouse dressing. :/

kareng Grand Master

I reacted to Bolthouse farms gluten free ranch. But I am one who reacts to anything 5ppm even. My head burns within a minute of eating like acid is being poured on my brain and I pass out sometimes  and that is just if there is any cross contamination.  I would not recommend Bolthouse to any one who is a celiac. Taste good but even if some do not react to low ppm of gluten does not mean it is not there. I want to put that out there for those who are with severe reactions. You are eating gluten if you eat Bolthouse dressing. :/

Some of them appear to be gluten free.  These should be fine for most Celiacs.  You could ask them what level they test to.  Perhaps there are other ingredients that bother you.

However, if you are that sensitive, you don't eat foods made or produced by someone other than yourself.

jraven Newbie

Some of them appear to be gluten free.  These should be fine for most Celiacs.  You could ask them what level they test to.  Perhaps there are other ingredients that bother you.

However, if you are that sensitive, you don't eat foods made or produced by someone other than yourself.

No one with celiac should be eating anything not made in a gluten free facility. But there are those times that we branch out. We eat only whole foods in our home minus a few things because my 3 children love Ranch dressing.  Being 2nd generation American my blood line is stronger to the tie of celiac. It is very dangerous and mine came out after having my third child. America is the worst country for gluten free because the lack of understanding even from celiacs. My advise to all is to make a food revolution and study celiac from Ireland and Romania point of view. I am learning my way around American labels but it was Bolt house dressing with gluten contamination and they should not be alowed to bear a gluten free label with out listing processed in a facility that process wheat but more than that other celiacs should not be knowledgeably suggesting Bolt house dressing. I just put that out there for people with out watered down ancestral version of celiac disease. Some of us have seizures. I am one of those people. No okaying this product. If some one says there is a reaction to it and warns for people who react to lowppm another member should say I am very sorry for your severity good info. Not judge me. I may look 12 in my photo but I am 3 times that and not even 5 foot tall. Thanks to celiac disease genetic disposition and underdevelopment. Please support celiacs who react to products you do not react to. How nice it must be.

kareng Grand Master

No one with celiac should be eating anything not made in a gluten free facility. But there are those times that we branch out. We eat only whole foods in our home minus a few things because my 3 children love Ranch dressing.  Being 2nd generation American my blood line is stronger to the tie of celiac. It is very dangerous and mine came out after having my third child. America is the worst country for gluten free because the lack of understanding even from celiacs. My advise to all is to make a food revolution and study celiac from Ireland and Romania point of view. I am learning my way around American labels but it was Bolt house dressing with gluten contamination and they should not be alowed to bear a gluten free label with out listing processed in a facility that process wheat but more than that other celiacs should not be knowledgeably suggesting Bolt house dressing. I just put that out there for people with out watered down ancestral version of celiac disease. Some of us have seizures. I am one of those people. No okaying this product. If some one says there is a reaction to it and warns for people who react to lowppm another member should say I am very sorry for your severity good info. Not judge me. I may look 12 in my photo but I am 3 times that and not even 5 foot tall. Thanks to celiac disease genetic disposition and underdevelopment. Please support celiacs who react to products you do not react to. How nice it must be.

Not sure what that stuff about watered down blood line/ ancestral versions means..... I have never seen any experts talking about that. From what I understand about how genes work, that doesn't make much sense. I would like to see some info on that. Perhaps you could make a new topic with links to that research?

Companies in the US are allowed to label products gluten free if they test at less than 20 ppm ( when the new law takes effect so most companies are using that standard or better).

I am sorry if you think you had a reaction to it, but that doesn't really prove that it has gluten or that they are lying about the gluten-free status of the product.

psawyer Proficient

No one with celiac should be eating anything not made in a gluten free facility.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I strongly disagree with it.

There are so many safe foods from companies with shared facilities. And, of course, if we follow your advice we can NEVER eat a restaurant--but I do at carefully chosen ones.

Archived