This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got Any Funnys From Friends/family Trying To Understand?

Chad Sines

Celtic Queen Explorer

My 5 year old is very attuned to me eating gluten free. Only he doesn't really understand what it means. So he'll say things like, "My mommy can't have tomatoes because they have gluten." And for a while he called it "fluten gree" instead of "gluten free." It was pretty cute.

The other night we were at Subway and the cashier asked if we wanted any chips or cookies with our sandwiches and salad. My husband looked right at me and asked if I wanted a cookie. I have him a hard time about that one. Sure, I'd love a cookie, but I don't think you'll be able to get me a gluten-free one at Subway :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chad Sines Rising Star

Me: I can eat anything except wheat, rye and barly.

Friend: Can you eat rice?

Me: Yes. It isn't wheat, rye or barley.

Friend: Oh. I guess a baked potato is out.

Me:ARGHHHHHHH

I get the potato thing all the time. Sometimes i eat hashbrowns i make and a friend looks at me like I am killing myself...Then he suggests a breakfast BURRITO would go nice with it.

You gotta love people..sometimes..

Darn210 Enthusiast

When my daughter was first diagnosed, a good friend of mine was educating herself of the ramifications of what gluten free meant and the changes it would mean in our lifestyle. She called one night with some great news . . .

My Good Friend: "Guess what?? They make gluten free beer!!! Skeeter can drink gluten free beer!!!"

Me: "Well thanks for the research, but no she can't. She's six."

I do love her . . . she is all about making sure she's got safe things to eat at her house for my daughter, never assumes and never afraid to ask questions, not afraid to have my daughter at her house, and always ready to try my baking and give an honest opinion.

IrishHeart Veteran

Ha Ha Ha....isn't it funny how wheat use to be considered healthy by us? I remember feeling sooooo lousy and thinking I needed to eat healthier to feel better. So I would eat granola with a huge amount of wheat germ poured on top of it.....I did not realize then that I was making myself sicker!!

ME TOO!!!

It's GOOD for us, right?! ARRGH!!I adopted a whole grain/high fiber diet in 2009 and ADDED MORE wheat, rye and barley upon the suggestion of a nutritionist.....granola, wheat germ, oatmeal...just tons of it....that was when I really lost brain function and cried every afternoon because I could not walk or think straight and the pain in my bones and muscles would burn and I was living in the bathroom...losing weight at a rapid rate :blink: Then, another doctor suggested I just do a "rotation diet" with wheat only every 4 days to see if I felt better. Tried that for 8 months and still felt so awful. Then, I put it all together. Gluten = poison. DUH! :huh:

IrishHeart Veteran

When my daughter was first diagnosed, a good friend of mine was educating herself of the ramifications of what gluten free meant and the changes it would mean in our lifestyle. She called one night with some great news . . .

My Good Friend: "Guess what?? They make gluten free beer!!! Skeeter can drink gluten free beer!!!"

Me: "Well thanks for the research, but no she can't. She's six."

I do love her . . . she is all about making sure she's got safe things to eat at her house for my daughter, never assumes and never afraid to ask questions, not afraid to have my daughter at her house, and always ready to try my baking and give an honest opinion.

:lol: :lol: beer.. :lol: :lol: well, maybe SOMEDAY :lol: :lol:

It is very sweet of her to learn about it, though. Not many folks are even willing to try.

IrishHeart Veteran

My 5 year old is very attuned to me eating gluten free. Only he doesn't really understand what it means. So he'll say things like, "My mommy can't have tomatoes because they have gluten." And for a while he called it "fluten gree" instead of "gluten free." It was pretty cute.

The other night we were at Subway and the cashier asked if we wanted any chips or cookies with our sandwiches and salad. My husband looked right at me and asked if I wanted a cookie. I have him a hard time about that one. Sure, I'd love a cookie, but I don't think you'll be able to get me a gluten-free one at Subway :rolleyes:

"fluten gree".. :lol: :lol: :lol: love it!

IrishHeart Veteran

You know, this really drives something home to me that I've been pondering for a while now. At my last job, it was ALWAYS on Sundays when I made really big mistakes, mostly due to absent-mindedness. Sunday mornings, management always brought in doughnuts for everyone. Hmm... Connection?

Sure makes sense to me! I would be dumb as a rock and lost in space if I ate a Gluteny donut right now.... :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

catsmeow Contributor

OMGosh, the story of the 6 year old and beer reminding me of something funny that was said at a party on Friday night. I was drinking a red bridge gluten-free beer, standing next to this man I didn't know. One of my friends walked up and asked me if I was drinking that gluten free beer I had been talking about. I said "yes, and it's really good" This man standing next to me said "really? They make gluten-free beer now? Oh wow, that's cool, my son has Celiacs, I'm going to have to get him some of this beer" Someone else said "isn't your son just 12 years old dude?" He looked embarrassed and said "well.....yea.....he's 12, but I could buy it now, and he will just have to wait 9 years to drink it" Everyone was laughing....I don't think he was thinking about his kids age. He was just thinking about gluten free choices, and got excited. It was pretty funny. I almosy forgot to add that his wife smacked him in the arm as well....LOL. By the way, it was nice to be around real people who actually knew what gluten-free was. Then when I opened my cooler and ate my own food that I brought, instead of the hosts food, I didn't have to say a word, the couple with the Celiac son explained to everyone what I was doing and why, AND answered all the questions!!....it was refreshing!! I felt FREEEEEEEEEE!!!! :lol:

Austin Guy Contributor

My 17 year old daughter, who I will have tested soon, looks for gluten-free things for me. She tells me what stores she finds them in and also brand names. Sweet.

Marilyn R Community Regular

That is, of course, part of the gluten problem, because unless you bake bread you are most unlikely to have ever walked into a market to purchase "gluten" and therefore to be aware of what it is or what it is in, and, as you say, the only time it is on the label is when it says "gluten free" which still doesn't tell your average Joe what gluten actually is :rolleyes: So many people think you are talking about 'glucose' :blink:

So true! :blink:

imagine how i felt the week i went vegan after some plant murderers suggested it would cure all ills. egads. no meat plus blech.

LOl! :D I got gluttened yesterday, don't know if it was from my sisters cute puppy or one of the two slices of strawberries I ate. You cracked me up, thanks!

GFinDC Veteran

I went to visit relates in another state and we decided to eat at an IHOP (international house of pancakes). Just for the heck of it I asked the waiter if they had any gluten-free pancakes or waffles. The waiter was a young feller and he didn't know the answer so he had to check with the big brains in back. It took a little while but he eventually came back and informed me that "all" of their pancakes are gluten free! No problem!

I didn't order pancakes... :D

mushroom Proficient

Piker :ph34r: (Why did you go there in the first place :blink: ??? ) :D

I went to visit relates in another state and we decided to eat at an IHOP (international house of pancakes). Just for the heck of it I asked the waiter if they had any gluten-free pancakes or waffles. The waiter was a young feller and he didn't know the answer so he had to check with the big brains in back. It took a little while but he eventually came back and informed me that "all" of their pancakes are gluten free! No problem!

LOL! What on earth did you order? Coffee? My co-workers told me that The Original Pancake House has gluten-free pancakes...but I haven't called to find out if they use a dedicated grill or what. Blech, I'll make 'em at home.

Skylark Collaborator

IHOP is scary. They even put pancake batter in the omelets. :blink:

srall Contributor

My MIL is very supportive, but because I'm eating gluten free for my health, and by for my health I mean so I can get out of bed every morning and actually function, she is always pointing out things that are low fat or sugar free as menu options for me...hmmm. While I do care about overall health, eating egg beaters in a Perkins with a diet pop is NOT what I mean.

My big gotcha with friends is dairy. My close group of girlfriends are the ones who convinced me to try gluten free in the first place since I was having so many issues, but they don't get the extent of my dairy intolerance. Or they are so worried about the gluten that the dairy gets overlooked. Last summer my friend Pam brought a salmon pate to a party. She listed off every ingredient to me. It was delicious and I was so happy to have something at a party I could eat. About an hour later she said, "Oh did I remember to tell you there's cream cheese in that." Well, that was not a fun few following days. I should have tasted it but I guess I was drinking wine and distracted. Dumb.

A couple of nights ago I was at another friends and she's made an apple strudel with rice flour. I asked her to tell me EVERY ingredient that was in it. She said, "Only rice flour, apples, cinnamon and sugar." I saw a stick of butter on the counter and said, "What about butter?" She said, "Oh...you can't have butter?" So....yes they totally get the gluten part of it. But the dairy is very hard to get them to wrap their heads around.

TB4me2000 Newbie

My mom has been great from the beginning. I told her over the phone one morning about a week before my birthday--"Mom, don't send me a cake! I can't eat wheat anymore!" I was so freaked out I was crying, which made her freak out...and then start researching. And guess what arrived on my doorstep a week later? A gluten-free birthday cake. That was a year ago!

My dad, however, understood I was getting sick from eating gluten, but he had no idea how serious it was until about a month ago. We were having hot dogs and burgers for lunch and he asked to borrow my knife to cut his burger. I snatched it away from him and told him no, that it would make me sick. And he just stared at me. It finally clicked--I didn't even have to really eat anything to get sick. All it takes is a crumb. And he's been so sweet ever since, totally concerned about me being able to eat when we go out, asking about different products. It's funny what the "Oh, geez, this really IS serious" trigger is for family and friends.

Duncanne Newbie

So day 3 of my gluten free lifestyle and day one I thought I would make some bread I could have. I searched my cupboard and the internet. I buy my flour from Winco and have a bunch of different flours in my pantry; white, brown rice flour, wheat, tapioca, buckwheat, and cornmeal, but no yeast. I found that I had the ingredients to make the cornbread. So away I went, put the flour and dry ingredients, then wet, mixed it up, put it in the pan and in the stove. I was putting the flour away and noticed I had used the wheat flour :o . So I finished baking it and ended up giving it away. I made another batch with tapioca flour. I feel so dumb with all this. I thought it was kinda funny. I am an hour away from the nearest grocery store, so I plan on shopping this weekend. I also plan on getting all the gluten out of my house and giving the goods to the homeless.

Chad Sines Rising Star

lol. poor thing. I dislike the taste of most of the substitutes although some are not too bad. An odd thing is that my GI rejects a lot of the substitutes as well. Worth experimenting. For me the worst situation is to let my blood sugar get low aka too hungry. it is so tempting then to eat anything u can find.

mushroom Proficient

lol. poor thing. I dislike the taste of most of the substitutes although some are not too bad. An odd thing is that my GI rejects a lot of the substitutes as well. Worth experimenting. For me the worst situation is to let my blood sugar get low aka too hungry. it is so tempting then to eat anything u can find.

That's one of the reasons women have purses :D Gluten free especiallly tends to crumble in pockets :P

GFinDC Veteran

Piker :ph34r: (Why did you go there in the first place :blink: ??? ) :D

Dumb. and fairly new to gluten-free at the time. I didn't want to disappoint my relates, which is dumb to the extreme. relates are always the least likely people you will impress in any way. Except in dumbness! :D

LOL! What on earth did you order? Coffee? My co-workers told me that The Original Pancake House has gluten-free pancakes...but I haven't called to find out if they use a dedicated grill or what. Blech, I'll make 'em at home.

I got a ham steak and some fired potatoes. Got slighty sick afterwards so it wasn't a great idea.

IHOP is scary. They even put pancake batter in the omelets. :blink:

Yep. I thot asking them about gluten-free waffles would give them a clue that it might be worth looking into. Van's gluten-free waffles are widely available in the USA and they could easily provide them if they chose to. But I haven't been back so I don't know if they got the oh so subtle hint or not. Probably not. :)

GFinDC Veteran

So day 3 of my gluten free lifestyle and day one I thought I would make some bread I could have. I searched my cupboard and the internet. I buy my flour from Winco and have a bunch of different flours in my pantry; white, brown rice flour, wheat, tapioca, buckwheat, and cornmeal, but no yeast. I found that I had the ingredients to make the cornbread. So away I went, put the flour and dry ingredients, then wet, mixed it up, put it in the pan and in the stove. I was putting the flour away and noticed I had used the wheat flour :o . So I finished baking it and ended up giving it away. I made another batch with tapioca flour. I feel so dumb with all this. I thought it was kinda funny. I am an hour away from the nearest grocery store, so I plan on shopping this weekend. I also plan on getting all the gluten out of my house and giving the goods to the homeless.

You are supposed to give away the first 10 or so loaves of gluten-free bread. That is if you can find anyone wiling to take them! The squirrels and birds are pretty god critics. If they will eat it then it might be human food too.

Congrats on reaching day 3! Every day after that gets harder or easier, I can't remember which it is they say. Well,,, kidding, it does get easier. Bread is something I missed at first but now I don't eat it. It turns out there is more to eat than bread!

Gluten is hard to avoid when you first start out. They put the stuff in everything it seems like.

IrishHeart Veteran

Welcome to the gluten-free life and the forum!! :)

Oh boy, just in time for your first gluten-free Thanksgiving.

That's a great idea, hon! Our local food pantry got a huge donation from us right after my DX. Search your cabinets and shelves and read labels. They will appreciate the donation, for sure!

You have also taken the precautions of changing toasters, cutting boards, colanders, strainers, and porous baking surfaces, I trust? Getting rid of the gluten is easy enough, but cross contamination (which we refer to as CC on here, because we hate typing that out every time :lol: ) is the bugger that trips us up.

Best wishes and good health to you! :)

Dumb. and fairly new to gluten-free at the time. I didn't want to disappoint my relates, which is dumb to the extreme. relates are always the least likely people you will impress in any way. Except in dumbness! :D

I got a ham steak and some fired potatoes. Got slighty sick afterwards so it wasn't a great idea.

Yep. I thot asking them about gluten-free waffles would give them a clue that it might be worth looking into. Van's gluten-free waffles are widely available in the USA and they could easily provide them if they chose to. But I haven't been back so I don't know if they got the oh so subtle hint or not. Probably not. :)

You were a good sport and absolutely ordered the best thing of the menu. Grace under fire, I applaud you.

Almendra Apprentice

Me: I can't have gluten anymore or I will get sick - so no wheat, rye, or barley.

Aunt: Well, you can still have white bread.

Me: Nope. It's made from wheat - the flour is just bleached.

Aunt: Hmmm. So, you can have self-rising flour.

Me: [silence]... uh... no... also made from wheat.

I could just see her sending me a big gorgeous "gluten-free Carrot Cake" (one of her specialties) made from Self-Rising flour!

Now she calls me with info she learns about the disease and what I can have. :)

Archived